Macross II: Lovers Again?

joscasle

I'm a Macross Fan, I saw almost everything of Macross (Macross TV Sereis, Macross DYRL, Macross FlashBack 2012, MAcross II Lovers Againg, MAcross Plus, Macross 7, MAcross Zero (3 episodes)).

But I don't understand why Macross II is out of all comments, I want to know why there are't toys of MAcross II, why the people dislike Macross II, just a question, thats all

I like the movie, and i like the characters, don't like the valkyries, but well...

I want to hear some comments about Macross II

Thanks!

Welcome to the MW Forums joscasle! :D

You might find a lot more useful Macross II info in THIS thread. Maybe it's because Shoji Kawamori had nothing to do with this series. It's pretty much a watered down DYRL with great character designs by HAL (Haruhiko Mikimoto). Excellent mecha too. :D

Thanks for the welcome!!!!

Just to let you know, I don't like Macross 7, i think Dynamite is bether but all that singing pilots is trash!!.

I like Macross II, the music is good (the main theme is great :) ), good characters, well the mecha (+ or -) and overall I like the movie.

Is just my opinion

I like Macross II, the music is good (the main theme is great :) ), good characters, well the mecha (+ or -) and overall I like the movie.

Is just my opinion

Looks like Oihan found a friend....

I like Macross II, the music is good (the main theme is great :) ), good characters, well the mecha (+ or -)  and overall I like the movie.

Is just my opinion

Nah, he's probably just using a different name :)

I finally watched MII again last week (in Japanese) after years only seeing the horrid English Dub.

I actually enjoyed it. Though the valk design was so-so. You can tell it's not the same flavor as usual, nowhere as streamlined as the typical Macross mecha. Did not like the metal siren. How could they Destroy the Macross? :(

Overall though it was an enjoyable 3 hours. Ishtar was hot hot hot. Note the new avatar.

Yeah it's not in the continuity, but it's an interesting diversion.

Don't want any toys from it personally, but an Ishtar statue like the new Minmei one would be sweet.

UN Spacy Posted on Mar 23 2004, 09:22 PM

Maybe it's because Shoji Kawamori had nothing to do with this series. It's pretty much a watered down DYRL with great character designs by HAL (Haruhiko Mikimoto).

That too was my first impression of MACROSS II!! Oh well, that's what you get for not getting KAWAMORI's blessing, he-he! :D

I am not a fan of Macross II. It was great when it was the only new Macross available, and I hadn't yet seen 'DYRL?'. But once I saw 'DYRL?' all I could think of was, "Wow, they didn't seem very keen on writing new material when they decided to make Macross II."

Also, it has some gaping continuity problems even if it was supposed to be a sequel to the original movie.

I did like the character designs, at least the artwork for them, not to keen on how the animators ended up drawing them much of the time. The music is so-so.

The story, and especially the character developement, were just too rushed for most of the OVA, and the animation quality really drops towards the end.

If taken on it's own merits, MII is rather enjoyable for the most part. It's best watched in japan as the dub is rather god-awful by comparison. I love the mecha (the UN spacy stuff anyway) and I love the music. While the characters are well drawn, I really don't like any of them, but that's cool.

Very true. I'm rather forgiving of most dubs but the one for Macross II is horrible. The series/movie collection can only be enjoyed when watching the subbed version. Macross II was actually the first Macross series I saw, I really enjoyed it. Still I wish it was expanded more since there is a foundation to work with but I guess that won't ever happen since the word is SK doesn't seem to like it. He wouldn't really be needed any way to continue it but I guess people are afaird it wouldn't be as good as works done with him at the helm.

Edited by Effect

I like Macross II, the music is good (the main theme is great :) ), good characters, well the mecha (+ or -)  and overall I like the movie.

Is just my opinion

Nah, he's probably just using a different name :)

LOL! The both of you.... Nothing wrong with liking Macross II. <_< I know of one other who likes Macross II, ComicKaze...so I'm not alone...lol. Now there's three of us! The Macross II fanbase will grow much larger, eventually. -_-

Edited by Oihan

Sadly, I find the dubbed version all but unbearable. The subbed is a little better...

That's pretty questionable. The English dub had some decent cast but was ruined by terrible directing/scripting.

I don't think the Japanese audio even had that - with the exception of the main character and the lack of bad English versions of the songs, I'd dare say the Japanese was worse.

Sadly, I find the dubbed version all but unbearable.  The subbed is a little better...

That's pretty questionable. The English dub had some decent cast but was ruined by terrible directing/scripting.

I don't think the Japanese audio even had that - with the exception of the main character and the lack of bad English versions of the songs, I'd dare say the Japanese was worse.

You sir are on crack. The Japanese version is far superior to...the ODD vo-cal pac.in..g offf th..e dU..b

Sadly, I find the dubbed version all but unbearable.  The subbed is a little better...

You sir are on crack. The Japanese version is far superior to...the ODD vo-cal pac.in..g offf th..e dU..b

Well said.

Well said.

Jeez, who cares? It's all utter balls, either way.

Although I did notice that it seems Basara's voice actor plays one of the UN Spacy guys in episode 1 and 5.

I happened to be tolerating it yesterday when my 4-year-old brother forced us all to watch it. It made me so angry I think I'm gonna bring out DYRL from storage and wash the pain away.

Mac II:

Needs to be fleshed out more, like in 24 more episodes in character developement and backstory, but I still like it.

Subbed = Good

Dubbed = XXX level of hell.

Toys: last I heard (from my sources) no ones approaced the mecha designers about Mac II toys. Hopefully that's changed recently but I doubt it.

Mac II:

Needs to be fleshed out more, like in 24 more episodes in character developement and backstory, but I still like it.

Actually, I feel that the opposite would have been a better approach. They should have tightened up the story back in the writing stage, perhaps by cutting as much as an episode's worth of running time. If they had lost some of the pointless distractions (the Alus, for starters) and shortened the Marduk "talking head" scenes I think it would have improved the story drastically.

I think the whole thing would have been much better if they'd distanced the story pacing from DYRL? a lot more. I mean, it's like they took DYRL?, slightly changed the situation, and replaced the cast. I've had friends who had seen Macross II first, then had that reaction while watching DYRL? for the first time, and I've had friends that had seen DYRL? first and had that reaction upon seeing Macross II for the first time.

Although I did notice that it seems Basara's voice actor plays one of the UN Spacy guys in episode 1 and 5.

You thought so too? It's a shame Manga didn't include a credits list of the original Seiyuu.

...I think MII is far bether than Macross 7

Thats all

You sir, are a smart man.

MII was sure as hell better time spent than watching M7 Dynamite.

You thought so too? It's a shame Manga didn't include a credits list of the original Seiyuu.

Yeah, just noticed it recently. I'm sure the credits are up on the internet somewhere if you look hard enough.