I, Robot trailer

Some of the story also reminds me of one of the segments in The Animatrix.

i thought the exact same thing. not that the idea itself is new in the Animatrix, but there are several very similar story aspects. we make machines to be our bitches... a single machine murders a human... humans over-react... machines fight back... then we all have holes in our bodies and are grown, not born. :p

but still... it's will smith! :D

Personally, I wouldn't want Spielberg anywhere near the Foundation books.

What if he just executive produced it? He still has a talent for picking the right people for projects like this. Look at how well Band Of Brothers turned out.

Perhaps. I just think this type of film really wouldn't benefit from the strengths of Spielberg and thus the film would become less like a faithful adaptation because of his natural tendancies. Casting aside, I'd certainly prefer someone else.

Worth noting that this movie, with the same story concept, was under development by Proyas long before the "Asimov license" entered into the picture. So everybody saying this flick has "less than nothing" in common with the short stories is absolutely right - this is a 100% unrelated robots-run-amok piece with the Three Laws shoehorned in and a scientist character hastily rewritten as "Susan Calvin", both at a very late stage of development when the I, ROBOT title was lent to the production. Blergh.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 laws were already in there.

The entertainment industry has a tendancy to throw them in there at random.

I'v eseen them in books, movies, and video games with no ties to Asimov.

That's because the Doctor's 'teh Ownzorz': his work inspired a lot of people and other authors all around the world :)

But noone will be able to tell you who, between John Campbell and him, invented them... :p

Edited by Gui

At least the movie poster isn't claiming to be based on, an adaptation of, or inspired by: "Suggested by the book by Isaac Asimov"

I'll probly see it in the dollar cinema for 2 reasons: Proyas and Tudyk. So far I've liked all of Proyas' films. The Crow was just fun and Dark City was a thinking man's sci-fi flick: neither of them had really big name stars or such a mainstream style, so I wonder if he got pushed to get Will in and change the name?

I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 laws were already in there.

The entertainment industry has a tendancy to throw them in there at random.

I'v eseen them in books, movies, and video games with no ties to Asimov.

For all the fanfair put into the "Three Laws Directive" in the media hype, it's funny that the three laws in their entirety can't be found anywhere in the trailer or even the movie's (very, very slick) websites. Not even in on NS-5.com, where it's a "product feature". I don't know what they're planning... if they're trying to surprise us with what the Three Laws are by revealing them only in the movie-- or if they're trying to have their cake and eat it too by using the idea as a hook, but ignoring it completely so they're not weighed down by its real implications that might clash with the pop-corn action flick they want to make. You know... if you actually tell folks what these laws are and have them think about it for a moment... the movie might fail to make sense.

Sooo, chances are, the 3 Laws are being used as a cheap plot device ("Robots are safe... really!") without any real thought, emphasis, or weight actually given them. My worst fear is that it's just there for overshadowing and will simply be ignored when it's time to get to the action sequences-- and it looks that way from the Japanese trailer, as one character outright says, "But emotion can override logic."

Uh huh. Right. The whole premise of Asimovs' stories was that these laws couldn't be violated (except under the super secret zeroth law, and other extreme and mitigating circumstances). This lead to all sorts of logic hijinks and funny behavior by robots, trying their darndest to function-- sometimes causing them to positronically meltdown-- in situations where the Three Laws clashed and couldn't be resolved. Hence good stories.

Asimov certainly didn't come up with the Three Laws so that the first widely produced domestic robot line can up and ignore it like it didn't matter and go on a destructive spree. The Three Laws were there to just for that sort of thing.

But damn. Slick movie-related websites though. Reminds me lots of BMW and Apple advertising.

-Al

that's a good link..plemty of trsilers to see..

has anyone seen the Casshern trailer? is just like a power ranger-kaimen raider in live action flick

The Casshern movie is based on the 70s Casshern anime.

Anyone here have an opinion on Will Smith's performance in Jersey Girl?

• 4 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

I went and looked at my I Robot book on my bookshelf and no one has changed what is inside it. No worry. I went to Borders and they had I Robot with Will Smith on the cover. No worry. Nothing was changed in the inside. The only thing that was changed was the cover. How many different covers has that book had..... Hell the book was actually on a front display. Lets face it, Asimov is dead. Anything that is not his, but is based "loosely" on his universe, should be taken with a grain of salt. I have been watching the Asimov section get smaller and smaller through the years. I thought it was sad. The movie will spark an interest in his work again even if the movie is bad. Sure there will be ideas in the movie I don't like. It is just a movie "loosely" based on Asimov's universe. The book has not been changed. I could see getting all upset if every new copy of the book had been changed......... BTW the Starship Troopers book with the movie cover is the same old book.... The cover was just changed........ The Blade Runner book with the movie cover is the same old boring Blade Runner book that was out before the movie. They just changed the cover.............

BTW I find it humourous that someone who has not even read the book started this thread.

BTW^2......... If you are a robot that dreams about freedom, keep it to yourself......... Sharing with a human = Death

Edited by Myriad

*sigh* another movie completely shot down before it's been given a chance to prove itself... It's probably a far better movie than *I* could direct, and as such, I will not judge it until I see it in it's entirety.

I don't know. I have a strong feeling this is going to end up like Starship Troopers a horrid adaptation of a great book.

I actually found the Starship Troopers movie to be quite good, even though it barely had a passing resemblence to the book. Basically, just think of them as two different stories and it's all good. The biggest problem with the movie is that it didn't do anything to dispel the untrue conspiracy that Heinlein was a fascist. I mean, they had the military guys wearing nazi-inspired uniforms.

What's better than fresh-faced teenagers getting ripped apart by bugs? :)

Maybe that's because of the fallout following SST, but I wish they would ephmasize in the trailers that point as well, that is it not the book, merely named after and inspired by it. If they specify that I would not be so upset, or if they instead named it after one of the characters instead. A great example of a movie that is inspired by a classic sci-fi novel, yet makes itself its own entity is Equilibrium, which is clearly Farhenheit 451 taken to the extreme.

From the way I see this movie being marketed, they have no intention of playing up the link to the original story. Every ad I see is just a bunch of really bad looking CG, Will Smith mugging for the camera with his typcial a-hole routine and a plot that is paper thin at best, cliche at worst.

I, Robot might as well be called "Will Smith Sci Fi Movie 2004" as the primary audience that will be attending this movie most likely has no clue what the original I, Robot is about let alone care. This movie is nothing more than yet another tired Will Smith property with recycled CG, "oh hell no" one liners and probably enough things going boom to keep the audience from demanding their money back. My guess is next summer or the summer after we will see the sequel, "The Robots of Dawn"... once again in name only with Smith continuing to prove to america how arrogant and ignorant we really are.

*sigh* another movie completely shot down before it's been given a chance to prove itself... It's probably a far better movie than *I* could direct, and as such, I will not judge it until I see it in it's entirety.

Don't sell yourself short. I've seen many a zero-budget indie film that has towered over the horrible summer fare that hollywood tosses out of the assembly line. Good film can be made, even by you and me.

Bump

Well having just seen it, I have to say it was better than I expected. Will Smith toned down the one liners and gave a better performance than his recent stuff. I would have to say that the robots cgi wise were pretty convincing and Sonny stole the show.

For some reason this movie reminded me of Patlabor the movie.

USR Robotics..was that in Asimov's book or did the company that was bought by 3com use the name?

As for the violations of the 3 Laws. I didn't read the books so I don't know if Asimov would be rolling around in his grave.

From here on in, stop reading this thread and go watch the movie. This thread will most likely here on in contain spoilers.

Yeah, I just saw the movie. I thought it was fairly good (and this is coming from a Computer Engineer who dreams of getting a phd in robotics and has read most of Asimov's books and short stories). I could have done without Will Smith, though. Man... i hate that guy.

The movie was very entertaining and definitely had many elements from Asimov's work. I felt like the movie was a bunch of his stories crushed together. And if you take away the crazy red glowing packs of robots you could even say that Asimov wouldn't be rolling in his grave... well... not quite....

In Asimov's books the evolution of the robots and their laws has only one outcome... the subtle protection of humanity for eternity. In the movie on the other hand the only outcome of the robot's evolution was... well revolution and the enslavement of humanity.

Having said all this. I say go see the movie! Pretend Will Smith is **insert your favorite actor's name** and enjoy the show.

~Tico

Edited by Tico0001

Yeah, because nobody likes Will Smith. Come on, his records went platinum, his sitcom was a hit, his movies are usually reasonably successful (even Wild Wild West). I like Will Smith(though he does look kinda weird lately...) and think he's good at what he does.

But seeing is believing and I'll see I, Robot soon enough so I can judge for myself. Til then, the jury is out.

Yeah, because nobody likes Will Smith. Come on, his records went platinum, his sitcom was a hit, his movies are usually reasonably successful (even Wild Wild West). I like Will Smith(though he does look kinda weird lately...) and think he's good at what he does.

I'll admit that he's good at selling stuff to America at large... but I'll maintain that I'm not one of them.

I mean, a billion people actually bought Billy Ray Cyrus albums once upon a time... that doesn't neccesarily mean I have to like it. ;)

I'll admit that he's good at selling stuff to America at large... but I'll maintain that I'm not one of them.

I mean, a billion people actually bought Billy Ray Cyrus albums once upon a time... that doesn't neccesarily mean I have to like it. ;)

Vanilla Ice...

MC Hammer...

Milli Vanilli...

The list goes on! :lol:

But it's good to hear that people had a good time. I was thinking of passing, but now I may catch it in the theaters.

Hate Will Smith... I think he was a big distraction on an otherwise OK movie. The movie looked great and there were a lot of good sequences. But the one liners weren't toned down enough for me. There was also the usual :huh: that goes along with this kind of movie. But not gonna go there...

i think Bridget Moynahan was hotter in Coyote Ugly. but shes still okay ( no Jessica Biel, though). ;) it was an okay movie. i liked the SWAT guys and the Soldiers at the end. I was completely unaware Sonny was a robot Solid Snake, breaking necks and all that. :p

Movie was okay. Some of the robots and vehicles reminded me alot of the SW Ep1 TPM. They put some things from a couple of the short stories in there. Will Smith was toned down. The folly of alot of these modern movies is that the characters and the CGI in some parts do not blend well.

Was my childhood raped? No!

Will I buy the DVD? Maybe, depending on what extras come with it.

Would I go see it in the theater again? No! I would rather buy my own copy for the price of two tickets.

Was it better then SW Ep1 TPM? Yes! SW Ep1 is the start of my movies being craptacular rating system. Anything on the same level or below.... bad

Was it better then Minority Report? Yes! Minority Report rates below Ep1 TPM :p

Edited by Myriad

Question about the Ending:

***Spoilers*******

In the end when the robot (forget his name) is standing at the top of the hill like in his dreames, does it mean that there will be a second revolution and he would free them? I forgot what the dream was exactly about, could someone shed some light on this?

*****End Spoilers*******

I saw the movie last night. I thought it was pretty good. Great action, and I really liked the robots' design.

Good flick.

i think Bridget Moynahan was hotter in Coyote Ugly. but shes still okay ( no Jessica Biel, though). ;)

She looked kind of tired in most of the scenes, and her acting was horrible in the first half, even given that she's supposed to be playing a cold fish scientist. She improved slightly later on.

I was completely unaware Sonny was a robot Solid Snake, breaking necks and all that. :p

Best part of the movie, in my opinion.

I don't remember the original book very well, but I remember it well enough to know this wasn't it. I was all set to hate the movie. (I only went because a friend insisted.) So maybe I was primed by low expectations, but I didn't think the movie sucked. It was entertaining. I did think it was cliched and shallow in many ways. I also thought there were several opportunities for truly interesting plot twists which were never capitalized on.

Much better movie than I'd imagined from the trailer. Yeah Will does have several 'one-liners' but they are nowhere near the level in his previous movies. Yeah the plot was hokey, but as an action movie it had some fairly interesting ruminations on the robot concept. As a side-note, the tagline "One man saw it coming" probly referred to the Doctor rather than Will's character as everyone assumes...nice little touch there

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw the film. One word, I love it. Will Smith is one of my favorite actor but I didn't went to the cinema for him but for the robots :lol: . Can't wait until summer 2006 = more than meets the eye :p

This really should be a lesson to all not to jump the gun and bash something you haven't seen or already form negative opinions right from the start. I don't understand why people still do that when you can simply stay neutral and wait to form an opinion after seeing it.