I, Robot trailer

http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2004/IJK...ailer-page.html

Now I've never even opened an Asimov novel, but I'm sure as hell that I, Robot was *not* about Will Smith cracking wise and blasting evil robots (who incidently look like they're made out of tupperware). I was going to compare it to an unholy crossing of Blade Runner and Aliens, but both of those movies are actually good. This trailer is more like Runaway crossed with something equally sucky, with extra "suck" added in for safe measure.

Now I've never even opened an Asimov novel, but I'm sure as hell that I, Robot was *not* about Will Smith cracking wise and blasting evil robots (who incidently look like they're made out of tupperware). I was going to compare it to an unholy crossing of Blade Runner and Aliens, but both of those movies are actually good. This trailer is more like Runaway crossed with something equally sucky, with extra "suck" added in for safe measure.

Yes. This "movie" is "inspired" by the world portrayed in the short stories collected in I, Robot.

It makes me sad.

If you guys have seen Chris Cunningham's video for Bjork's All Is Full Of Love, then you'd know that he would be the perfect director for I, Robot or even A.I.

Stanley Kubrick had him work on visuals and scripts when he was working on the A.I script. He was practically held prisoner in Kubricks house to work for him. Eventually Kubrick fired him due to "artisitic differences."

As good as the oiginal The Crow was, Alex Proyas really hasn't done much. I think Dark City was his last mid-budget flick. (Kudos for him for getting Jennifer Connely back when she was hotter than hell.) I'm interested in what he has in store next, but the addition of Will Smith unpiques my curiousity. If it's a slow month for movies, maybe I'll go see it when it comes out.

It's an interesting premise that was already covered in several films. Some of the story also reminds me of one of the segments in The Animatrix.

I can hear it now. Humans, old and busted. Robots, new hotness. :rolleyes:

uhmm, you should read the Azimov books/novels, then.

There's enough situational, atmosphere and environment background-stuff in Azimov's books to get presented with what they're doing with this I, Robot movie.

Edited by treatment

There's enough situational, atmosphere and environment background-stuff in Azimov's books to get presented with what they're doing with this I, Robot movie.

I haven't seen the trailer yet, but BSU Legato states that they show Will Smith blastin' evil robots.

We all know there are no "evil robots" in Asimov's world. The Three Laws of Robotics forbid such a premise.

I haven't seen the trailer yet, but BSU Legato states that they show Will Smith blastin' evil robots.

We all know there are no "evil robots" in Asimov's world. The Three Laws of Robotics forbid such a premise.

There is no "evil robot" per se in Azimov's universe.

There is just that running theme in all of Azimov's books of what is considered right and wrong for and between humans and robots, and the running dilemna of applying the three laws of robotics by a "gifted" robot.

iirc, the I, Robot series of shorts were set where the robots are just coming off the assembly and are still not being accepted by majority of the humans hence the obvious hostilities and distrust of humans towards the robots and the robot-makers/policy-makers

This movie (based on the trailer) seems like a really good adaptation and realization of Azimov's shorts. Fwiw, Azimov's shorts such as I, Robot are really bland and boring to an average reader, compared to say Philip K. Dick's shorts that inspired Blade Runner movie.

Elijah Bailey was not in the Robots-shorts. He was introduced in Caves of Steel, the pre-cursor of the Foundation-series.

But I think Will Smith will do a good Elijah Bailey, tho, based on the trailers.

Edited by treatment

Elijah Bailey was not in the Robots-shorts. He was introduced in Caves of Steel, the pre-cursor of the Foundation-series.

But I think Will Smith will do a good Elijah Bailey, tho, based on the trailers.

Ummm... I specifically stated that Elijah Bailey is not in the I, Robot shorts:

...Asimov's agoraphobic character Elijah Bailey (who doesn't show up in any of the I, Robot short stories).

Besides, Will Smith IS NOT Elijah Bailey, either in concept (it wouldn't work because Bailey is Grumpy, unhappy and out of shape when we first meet him), or in reality (because Smith's character is Del Spooner).

I don't know. I have a strong feeling this is going to end up like Starship Troopers a horrid adaptation of a great book.

Edited by the white drew carey

I read the short story collection decades ago, and this thing doesn't bear any resemblence to what I remember. Looks like they just took a few bare details and the name, and used them to make a completely ordinary, thoroughly cliched summer blockbuster.

Besides, Will Smith IS NOT Elijah Bailey, either in concept (it wouldn't work because Bailey is Grumpy, unhappy and out of shape when we first meet him), or in reality (because Smith's character is Del Spooner).

I don't know. I have a strong feeling this is going to end up like Starship Troopers a horrid adaptation of a great book.

it can't be any worse than the prison violation that is the Original Dune Movie. that movie was terrible. The Book(s) deserve much better. hopefully Sci-fi will make a series of all of them....

<_<

I hope not. ST movie should not have been made. Period.

That said, I think this new movie will do ok. It will prolly rattle many of the Azimov readers. Who knows. We'll have to wait until Summer to give a good judgement on it.

fwiw, I always envisioned Harrison Ford as Elijah Bailey ever since Blade Runner was released. At this day and age, however, prolly only Ethan Hawke can portray Elijah if they go strictly by the book.

I liked SST. See, they changed a lot of stuff from the book, but once I got past the lack of powered suits, I thought it was a good movie. It was a radical change--the powered suit in many ways is as much a star of SST (the book) as the Valkyrie is of Macross. And the book was a pretty straight narrative that seemingly took itself seriously (or was taken seriously by most of its teenaged audience). The movie, on the other hand, is an over-the-top commentary on the ideas in the book, which leaves you you wondering about things like civic responsibility, militarism, and who the good guys really are.

This I, Robot just looks like another action/conspiracy retread.

I'm a really big fan of Asimov's novels and short stories... and learning about this plan of a movie with Will Smith :angry: makes this day a VERY sad one :( . There's no way that W Smith could pass up as ANY character in Asimov's works.

I think i rather play naive and HOPE that they make a decent job.

I could be mistaken but i thought they were making a Foundation movie... not I, Robot. That would make sense since Foundation is a trilogy novel (actually 6 parts) and I, Robot is just a compilation of short stories...

~Tico

PS Just finished watching the trailer and 1.) the way they list the laws of robotics is a joke!! The 3 laws are much more complex than that!! 2.) I kind of like the way they made the robots... close to what i imagined it would be. 3.) This movie as an adaptation of Asimov's book is going to suck.

Edited by Tico0001

Yup. There's a scene which reminded me of the "Operations" shootout in Aliens, but with robots instead of Xenomorphs.

No Schwarzenegger = Not a good movie

Will Smith in the movie = I will hate it

All he can do is play one character, the smart ass urbanite punk. Every role he has been in (except for Six Degrees of Separation, which he totally bricked) he plays a wise-ass trash talking jerk who somehow saves the day...

Seen it, taped it, erased it.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Wow...now that is a movie to stay away from. Why the hell would anyone want to see a film set in the future that features a bunch of doorknobs who's asinine wisecracks and dialogue make them seem like time-travelers from the 1990's? Who is Hollywood making this crap for anyway?

Remove the Fresh Prince, get a better director (Spike Jonze perhaps) and let Chris Cunningham do the design work...THEN I'll be interested.

I just watched the trailer.

This movie is going to be horrible.

It'll be just as bad, if not worse, as Starship Troopers.

ewilen says

The movie, on the other hand, is an over-the-top commentary on the ideas in the book, which leaves you you wondering about things like civic responsibility, militarism, and who the good guys really are.

I have to disagree. Verhooven took the concepts in the book and made them outlandish parodies of cold-war era fears of fascism.

Starship Troopers as a stand-alone film is funny and enjoyable in it's popcornish way.

Starship Troopers as an adaptation of the book is nearing blasphemy.

This is gonna be just as bad as bicentenial man... Why do people feel the need to dumb down great sci-fi novels in the adaptation process (or just flat out ignore the original premise)? There are plenty of really bad, action adventure sci-fi novels that could be adapted into faithful and fun popcorn flicks.

Good god....Bicentennial Man...I can't believe that movie!! Personally, I don't believe that audiences will watch, or accept, a sci-fi movie, especially one that concerns robots and technology playing on our fears, if it doesn't have over-the-top action. I would love to be proved wrong though.....

On-Topic: Will Smith in sci-fi is a bad idea. We loved you as Fresh Prince. We loved you in Bad Boys. Now shut up.

Good god....Bicentennial Man...I can't believe that movie!! Personally, I don't believe that audiences will watch, or accept, a sci-fi movie, especially one that concerns robots and technology playing on our fears, if it doesn't have over-the-top action. I would love to be proved wrong though.....

On-Topic: Will Smith in sci-fi is a bad idea. We loved you as Fresh Prince. We loved you in Bad Boys. Now shut up.

Only 1 movie I liked him in, MIB.

Good god....Bicentennial Man...I can't believe that movie!!  Personally, I don't believe that audiences will watch, or accept, a sci-fi movie, especially one that concerns robots and technology playing on our fears, if it doesn't have over-the-top action.  I would love to be proved wrong though.....

On-Topic: Will Smith in sci-fi is a bad idea.  We loved you as Fresh Prince.  We loved you in Bad Boys.  Now shut up.

Only 1 movie I liked him in, MIB.

That also goes for Enemy of the State.

personally, starship troopers is one of my favorite movies of all time, ive never read the book but i dont care, for every single movie that is an adaptation of anything, ppl always say the original is better, i also think the lotr movies suck crap, i havent read the books, i dont care to

as for this movie, it looks... entertaing. but will smiths character is way to generic smith, hes acting the exact same as he did in MIB, MIB2, independence day, bad boys, bad boys 2, etc.

ewilen says
The movie, on the other hand, is an over-the-top commentary on the ideas in the book, which leaves you you wondering about things like civic responsibility, militarism, and who the good guys really are.

I have to disagree. Verhooven took the concepts in the book and made them outlandish parodies of cold-war era fears of fascism.

I think I said pretty much the same thing. The only difference is, I liked it. :p (And as I've said before, I think in some ways it's even more relevant post-911. PM me for explanation, argument, or insults--I don't want this discussion to get sidetracked.)

Point is, love it or hate it, SST actually engages philosophical themes from the novel. It isn't just a phoned-in Hollywood FX-fest--which this thing gives every indication of being.

No Schwarzenegger = Not a good movie

How can he star in a movie? He's the governor of California!

This is a good point... After contemplating this fact I have come to a new conslusion:

There will not be anymore good movies.

This is gonna be just as bad as bicentenial man... Why do people feel the need to dumb down great sci-fi novels in the adaptation process (or just flat out ignore the original premise)? There are plenty of really bad, action adventure sci-fi novels that could be adapted into faithful and fun popcorn flicks.

Well, Bicentennial Man is a bad example, because the novel it's based off of does suck.

Before you get the wrong idea, though, let me explain: The Bicentennial Man, the movie, is actually based off of the Asimov/Silverberg novel The Positronic Man which, in itself, is a novelization of the original Asimov short story The Bicentennial Man (have I lost ye yet? :D ).

I really, really disliked the novel because it added too much junk. The short story, on the other hand, is, IMHO, one of the best peices of literature ever written.

NERV- Starship Troopers and I, Robot follow the typical Hollywood concept of taking the names and the most basic elements of plot from a good book and changing around the story in order to make it Popcorn accessible.

I'll admit that it's a fun movie. But it's pretty stupid compared to the book (ewilen- I'll still have to respectfully disagree. the movie only pays lip-service to the concepts raised in the book, and in no way truly embraces the lesson).

In other words, I really would recommend reading the books as well.

Especially Starship Troopers. If you do, you'll realise that if the movie was done like the book, it could've been possibly one of the best war/commentary/sci-fi/action movies of all time. Plus it features a detailed, realistic, description of powered armor (possibly one of the first).

Instead it ended up being 90210 in space with giant cockroaches (in fact, the broad who plays Dizzy [who, in the novel, was a man and died in the first pages of the book] actually was on 90210*!!!).

Another prime example of this syndrome is The Running Man. Arnold Schwarzenegger in tights running away from crazed hockey players, fat guys in christmas-light dune buggies and Minnesota's Governer, The Body.

The Running Man is another movie which would've done much, much better had it been more faithfully adapted from the novel.

I highly recommend The Running Man as well. Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing I, Robot as a mini-series on sci-fi. Each episode comprising one of the short stories.

That would be the bomb.

*she's the older college professor who seduced Brandon for a couple of episodes. Yes, I know this crap. :blink:

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing I, Robot as a mini-series on sci-fi. Each episode comprising one of the short stories.

True dat, there is so much sci-fi that I would love to see made into highquality miniseries.

On a sidenote though, it looks as if alot of the new I Robot movie is based off of that outer limits vision of Asimovs robots made a while back staring Leondard Nemoy I beleive.