Why hasn't Yamato built a SDF-1

Live_Wire212

Yamato should make one at 1/3000, the same size as the old Takatoku with upgraded details. All plastic to save on weight and price. They should also include removable armds x 2, Prometheus and Deadalus so we can have TV and DRYL versions. Make it cheaper than the Q-Rau and we have a sure fire winner.

I'll take two. One in storm attacker mode and one in battle cruiser mode.

see, I'd definitely pay for that...you know there's gonna be a lot more work put into that than a simple Q-Rau.

and yah...2 would be awesome.

I think it's a bit like the situation with Max DYRL toys in that regard. When there were no Max DYRL toys, everybody always used to say how much they wanted one, but when Yamato finally released a 1/60 and 1/48 VF-1A Max toy, they didn't sell that well.

Graham

Well, I've done my part to buy up the DYRL Max. :p I've even got Neova doing a custom 1/48 VF-1S for me as I type this. I am SO excited - I have wanted one for far too long. Basically, if it has anything to do with Max, I'm gonna buy it. (This means VF-22 someday, Yamato!)

I would personally rather have the Ali Landry or Minori Aoi sexbot.

But anyway, about the SDF-1: What about the Mk. II Monster? At 1/60 the thing is HUGE and out of many people's price range for a single item. Why wouldn't a more affordable SDF-1 (30cm in Storm Attacker) do better than it would? Throw in a small display stand for cruiser mode, and it would be a done deal for many I'm sure.

I'd pick up a SDF-1 if Yamato made one....and they'd probably end up releasing the DYRL first (granted if it does come out in the future). If it sells well enough expect a recsulpt with new arms. B))

A Yamato SDF-1? Many would complain about the size, when the size is announced. Many would complain about the price, after the toy actually comes out. Many would complain about the diecast content (or lack of it). Many would then complain about how the color on this tiny part doesn't match that tiny part and this tiny gun breaks too easily, etc.

So true. The latest uproar over the Q-rau has left a bad taste in my mouth about this fandom. Especially since 99.99% of us don't even have it yet.

I'd like to see a DYRL version of the SDF-1. A transforming version in 1/3000 scale. Anyone who owned(like me) the non transforming small Takatoku 1/6300 scale SDF-1 knows how boring a small SDF-1 is.

But overall I'd say the chances are slim since the molds couldn't be used over & over again.

So true. The latest uproar over the Q-rau has left a bad taste in my mouth about this fandom. Especially since 99.99% of us don't even have it yet.

Me too, a really bad taste.

As a result in future I'm thinking about not publishing reviews until the product has actually been out for a month. That way people will already have the product in hand when my review comes out.

Graham

Getting back on topic, the problem with an SDF-1 toy (either DYRL or TV ver) is as others have mentioned, there is only one paint variation to release.

So given the reletively small fan base Macross has and the reletively small number of toys sold it is doubtful that Yamato could sell enough to recover the design, tooling and manufacturing costs, unless they sold it at an insanely high cost.

Graham

Getting back on topic, the problem with an SDF-1 toy (either DYRL or TV ver) is as others have mentioned, there is only one paint variation to release.

So given the reletively small fan base Macross has and the reletively small number of toys sold it is doubtful that Yamato could sell enough to recover the design, tooling and manufacturing costs, unless they sold it at an insanely high cost.

Graham

Graham,

How about a Limited Release of the SDF-1 Macross to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Macross, ala Low Viz? I'm sure many fans would want one especially in that regard. Yamato may be able to makeup for thier production costs with a low run just for fans. I know the Low Vis leveraged existing molds to keep cost down.

If you see how much those old beatup SDF-1's cost now, and especially the tiny 4000 and up scales, I think the ones who want it, will pay for it.

Personally, I would love to keep prices way down, under 100 or even 80USD but if a limited release is what it will take for THE definative SDF-1 to be produced, then put me down for one.

It better be 1/3000 scale and up, 1/2800 would be better, fully transformable, have both armds, and prometheus and deadalus, small launch arms, lights like the new star trek ships and a full set of uber detailed zentradie warships to accompany it with scaled detailed Mimmay figure in the bridge. :D

I think rather than Yamato, I'd prefer Bandai made a non-transforming, prepainted snap fix, light up model kit of the DYRL SDF-1, similar in design to their Star Trek kits.

Heck if Bandai released two kits, one in Cruiser mode and one in Storm-Attacker mode, I'd definitely buy both.

However, being Bandai, we all know they would never make that sort of effort for Macross.....sigh.

Graham

I think rather than Yamato, I'd prefer Bandai made a non-transforming, prepainted snap fix, light up model kit of the DYRL SDF-1, similar in design to their Star Trek kits.

Heck if Bandai released two kits, one in Cruiser mode and one in Storm-Attacker mode, I'd definitely buy both.

However, being Bandai, we all know they would never make that sort of effort for Macross.....sigh.

Graham

Hmm, now that indeed would rock. Similar to the Star Trek kits maybe, but at least on Master Grade level. Impressive detail that would require less effort on Bandai's part than the Star Trek kits. Modelers would be pleased as well I'm sure. That would be awesome. A MG SDF-1 would also fit in with MG Battroids should they be so inclined. Skeletal frame like the newer master grades. Those would demolish any "super posable". I've probably said this before somewhere.

A SDF-1 is well within their capability, and their marketing could get it out in large numbers easier. I would bw willing to buy two kits individually as well, one for Storm Attack and one for Cruiser.

Ah, dreams. It is a shame Bandai seems to not have much interest in Macross merchandise, yet they keep reissuing the old model kits.

Edited by Anubis

Graham

Being a person completely incapable of putting a model together and making it look decent... I'd be happy if Bandai only rereleased the old 1/3000 SDF.

I lurve me some classic Macross toys.

Being a person completely incapable of putting a model together and making it look decent...  I'd be happy if Bandai only rereleased the old 1/3000 SDF.

I lurve me some classic Macross toys.

I would be happy if Bandai would reissue at least one of the SDF-1 toys as well. Even the small one.

I wonder if the old mold is still intact to make reissues with.

New kits would be sweet though. The little one I bought a while back will have to suffice for now, when I have time to sit and assemble/paint it. This will be interesting because I have only painted two models in my life. My PG Eva Unit 01 and a Tie Interceptor.

Edited by Anubis

I don't really understand the excuse of not being to reuse the mold. The M+ toys weren't really reusable because they don't sell other schemes. I know the Macross would be a bigger toy, but I'm not only talking about that. There's also the Glaug and the Regult which would be smaller and non transforming. If you think about it, three destroids would be utilizing similar molds on some of their parts.

I don't see how they can justify tooling the Monster but not the Macross itself. Is the market bigger for the Monster? I'm not whining, it an honest question :unsure:

Dude... a 1/1 robotic sex slave modeled after Britney Spears would sell like wildfire.

Britney Spears.....no thanks, not my cup of tea.

Change that to Faye Wong, Karen Mok, Bobo Chan or Nanase Aikawa and I'd definitely buy one :D

Graham

Also, at least in the Fayebot's case, having it sing would be a feature, not a bug. But where would you keep it? And how to explain it to your wife?

Dude... a 1/1 robotic sex slave modeled after Britney Spears would sell like wildfire.

Change that to Faye Wong, Karen Mok, Bobo Chan or Nanase Aikawa and I'd definitely buy one :D

Graham

Also, at least in the Fayebot's case, having it sing would be a feature, not a bug. But where would you keep it? And how to explain it to your wife?

You could simply tell her you bought it(her) to keep the house clean ;):lol:

Me too, a really bad taste.

As a result in future I'm thinking about not publishing reviews until the product has actually been out for a month. That way people will already have the product in hand when my review comes out.

Graham

How about the leaks? If the leaks come out before the actual review then what?

Graham

Maybe double as a maid bot? Use that as a defense.

Real life persocon's would be quite useful B))

It would definately sell more than the Monster, but would have to. Unlike the Monster it transforms though it's relatively simple and doesn't need anime magic or terrible ingenuity to accomplish.

And it'd probably be $300 bucks. <_<

But if it could be under $100, have a 1/48 comparable Daedalus/Prometheus add-on (any Yamato release would be undoubtedly DYRL with ARMDs) and maybe some micro-machine sized valkyries or something (still out of scale but would be cool for play-value), it'd sell like hot cakes.

Maybe an anniversary special that has 4 arms (ARMDs and the carriers) with light and SFX and extra detail would be worth $300... but no reason why an "ordinary" version would need to be.

Hm. I take that as a bit of a challenge.

I'll bet they'll release a Kaifun sports car before they ever release a Macross-branded Fokker D. VII.

you can only sell Kaifun's spors car with a Fan Liner... :p I know... different cartoons but who cares... :lol:

Graham

Well i dont know what others think about this but a model wouldnt have the same feling to me plus for me id have to pay someone to put it together for me cuz i cant even make a snaptogether look good and i cant paint a barn door not trying to sound rude sorry if i did but i would like to see Yamato make it cuz they have impressed me on all there macross works so far even if they just did a limmited edition i would eat the bill just to have it in my collection

sorry if i got too voiced but i realy have a great respect for Yamatos products and i think that the sdf-1 would make a killer centerpiece

thanks for all the feed back tho

IMMFHO = In My Muther frakking Humble Opinion?

IMMFHO = In My Muther frakking Humble Opinion?

replace Mother with most,,, i hate ussing the word mother

As far as the molds go , They wouldnt be anymore complicated then the Q-Rau, parts wise, they just are looking at potential sales and dont see a big profit. For example if they could sell fake dog doo for a bigger profit then valks,,,,damn right they would. The word needs to get out about a fan base that would buy this item

Well, I was making the 1/48 version of the SDF-1 till I did some real basic preliminary calculations (actual comparisons). The Prometheus would be almost the size of my 1998 Camry (deck width would be the width and half to 3/4 the height of the Camry at least.) If kicked the numbers and did the real math, I would be like :o . So I stopped the project. I have an empty garage space but I am thinking I need two plus car spaces. Where in hell am I gonna find that? Sure I could be wrong about the size comparison but still... If I remember those guys building those large scale aircraft carriers like the USS Forrestal and USS Enterprise, those were freaking huge.

I would just settle for the 1/3000 version. easier to find a storage space.

Well, I was making the 1/48 version of the SDF-1 till I did some real basic preliminary calculations (actual comparisons). The Prometheus would be almost the size of my 1998 Camry (deck width would be the width and half to 3/4 the height of the Camry at least.) If kicked the numbers and did the real math, I would be like :o . So I stopped the project. I have an empty garage space but I am thinking I need two plus car spaces. Where in hell am I gonna find that? Sure I could be wrong about the size comparison but still... If I remember those guys building those large scale aircraft carriers like the USS Forrestal and USS Enterprise, those were freaking huge.

I would just settle for the 1/3000 version. easier to find a storage space.

why not do it in 1/100? you should be using about 1 car space... ;)B))