Q-Rau Review Now Up

Graham

Well said Graham, Macross is such a small part of he world of anime, nothing to compare like Gundam or Transformers, but still all of us (At least me) would love to see more companies competing for our benefit, with production of more and better Macross toys, but the reality is at this moment only Yamato is paying attention to us

Peace

Edited by LocoMacross

EDIT: also, you can buy 2 20th anniversary Optimus Primes for the price of this 1 figure.

Comparing the price point of the Masterpiece Convoy/Prime to the Q-Rau is a bit unfair.

Transformers has a far bigger fan base than Macross and it's a safe bet that Takara/Hasbro's production run has been far, far larger than Yamato's. The larger the production run, the lower the per unit cost and selling price can be.

Takara/Hasbro have probably made at least 100,000pcs of the Convoy/Prime (if not more) and while I can't reveal the actual production run figures for the Q-Rau, it is considerably smaller quantity by a huge margin.

Graham

[my first post, I've been lurking for a few years, hello everyone!]

I was writing up a multi-page guestimate on the production costs and run of the Rau based on some experience I've had, however I could get in trouble for mentioning some of the examples I'm familar with due to NDA.

[no I don't work for a toy company, but I'm in a related business ;)]

I'd say MPC Prime/Convey had a production run of a few million units easy. Walmart in the USA alone will cover that.

With a production run that huge, I wouldn't be surprised if the cost to build prime was 2-5$ for Takara. I do know that smaller toys like hotwheels cost 5 to 25 cents each to produce, and thats with final assembly, and with diecast.

The only way Yamato can seriously drive costs down is to get a larger market opened up. And.. well theres an issue with that as we all know.

I got one on order from Kevin, he'll fit in nicely with my gaggle of robots at work.

Edited by Zovreign

yeah you right about economies of scale its just that the convoy has so many plus points and far cheaper then i could have imagened so its die cast then it would seen give the look of a better overall value. but its the only thing curretnly just like tha alphas so be prepared to fork out the money.

The Q-Rau SUCKS!!

SUCKS!

SUCKS!

Because of this.

LOL! Not enough a** for you?

The freaky thing is I dreamt the review was up yesterday night and sure enough this morning, lo and behold its there. GASP!!

Graham: You stated in your review that it is very poseable with 32 points of articulation, but the pictures don't really show much so i'm kinda doubtful. I was just wondering could it pose the famous "missle barrage" pose. ya know, hands hugging the body, slightly crouched and all missle pods opened? That's the final factor that would make me buy/not buy the Q-rau. PS: Oh...and do the knees bend and thighs move?

Thanks. ;)

Edited by wolfx

mmmmm....I think I´ve been living on the moon recently cause I seriously thought the Q-rau was going to seel for like $80-90 but $120 !!! bloody hell , isn´t that a bit overpriced for a non-transformable plastic toy with less detail than the 1/48. Shouldn´t it have the same ammount of detail if it´s going for the same price ?

I looked at the pictures and and a bit disspointed with the texture of the toy , all the plastic parts look like they´ve this kind of wax texture/reflection.

I was expecting a bit more detail with the q-rau , I guess the promo photos were too good , with all the shinny surfaces and all :(

Well , now that my critisism is over I have to say the toy is great and I will gladly buy it....when the price drops to $80 of course.

I think transform or not transfrom not the main point

but --- I seems this Q-RAU just like a

big scale " first grade " gundam model kit

sale at $120USD

if this really worth $120 USD

then the 1/48 VF-1 must selling at $240USD

exactly

are the b00bz the right size at least?

:p

people need to lighten up. this is a Toy we're talking about... :rolleyes::D

This is clearly a poor sculpt. The artist behind this Millia figure should be punished for this terrorist act against the wet dreamns of Millia fans.

It sounds to me more like denial and excuses for small wallets

And is not an excuse for a small wallet. You guys I am rich! :unsure:

I heard plenty of poor news about this particular toy. However, I'm very pleased to hear the straight dope from Graham. I'm much more at ease with this item and may even be inclined to purchase one myself. Thank you very much for the detailed analysis of Yamato's latest creation.

Plenty of poor news about this toy. Right.

I am just glad I can get a Q Rau after all this years. Yep the price tag does not look nice at all, no markings and no diecast.

I still prefer accuracy over diecast, and If I have the money I will definetelly get the toy. Why?? because it is the only one and it is totally a beauty.

To me... millia's butt is the real beef in this toy.

And the price tag, but I dont mind If I can pay it.

Mine it's on the way, so I would give my opinion, but then again how many enemy mechas are out there?, Umm? NONE, so I guess until nothing new come up, I thinks this is the best toy out there!!!

Peace :rolleyes:

die cast is one thing it has going for it. I don't understand why everyone is so anti-diecast now... the diecast content isn't the reason for the 21's floppiness. and no one has complained about scratchin' the paint on the yf-21 (that argument is saved for the yf-19)

It's not that anyone is anti-diecast, it's because 95% of people don't give a crap wether there is any diecast or not.

I was hoping when the preview pics came out that Yamato was wrong about the scale cuz it would look good with my 1/48s, but it looks like it was just a build up sample. It's a decent size for a toy but I was expecting something HUGE!!! But aside all that I'm glad about the size and so far it looks great. And for all the people whining about the Miria sculpt, did you guys forget where you were??? This is MacrossWorld. If Yamato won't give us a decent figure, I'm sure someone will... ;):p

I prefer pronouncing it as Miria too. Millia has always been kinda Engrish to me.

die cast is one thing it has going for it.  I don't understand why everyone is so anti-diecast now...  the diecast content isn't the reason for the 21's floppiness. and no one has complained about scratchin' the paint on the yf-21 (that argument is saved for the yf-19)

It's not that anyone is anti-diecast, it's because 95% of people don't give a crap wether there is any diecast or not.

..and actually, I DO have paint chipping on my 21...

and 11B... and the 1/48 swing bar...

That's why Prime stay safely away from prying hands.

I'll have to think on this.

My problem is that, design-wise, the Q-Rau is the only Macross mecha to take a step backwards in the DYRL release. I much more like the design from the original series over the DYRL design.

Yup!

First, I second Drew on this...

Second, I drew this first :p

Hey it's a WIP... so don't give me crap!!!

post-4-1077956539.jpg

The Q-Rau SUCKS!!

SUCKS!

SUCKS!

Because of this.

rofl. nice @ss damn. seh sisupposed otbe bigger also. if you see the animation. the arms go into sockets on the sides and it fits mor elike a power suite then acock pit for the aromor.

I sense a Bizarro Chunky Misa moment fermenting in the lore of MWers...

TWDC, Exo...I concur. But I really prefer all the designs from the TV series except possibly the fastpack design and the cockpits. (And really don't like what was done with the Nousjadeul-Ger. I prefer it fat, flatfooted and clunky! The revised version is too gangly IMNSHO.)

Am going to hold off a bit since Graham also seems to agree...or at least he's noticed the demand for a green Q-Rau and I assume he's told his Yamato contacts.

Now, about Millia's butt. You have to remember that this is an impression of what it looks like when squeezed into a Q-Rau cockpit. But I do like the idea of getting one of those standing figurines. I see somebody's already requested one in the Wanted forum.

Now, about Millia's butt. You have to remember that this is an impression of what it looks like when squeezed into a Q-Rau cockpit. But I do like the idea of getting one of those standing figurines. I see somebody's already requested one in the Wanted forum.

You wouldn't expect MW's #1 Millia fan to not be looking for one of those things would you?!

I used to see them all the time on eBay and I kept saying to myself I need to get one, but I'd forget, and now, when I absolutely need one, I can't find them :rolleyes:

Such is life for me. <_<

Vostok 7

It sounds to me more like denial and excuses for small wallets :lol:

wtf...obviously this guy hasn't seen my collection. :rolleyes:

traitor sebastian!! now you're actually going to get it if you have money...shat, basically that means you'll get it since you're never w/o money. :p *sigh* all that whiskey talk was all for not...no more whiskey talks with you! lol yah rite!

is miria chinese? a lot of chinese girls butts look like that, flat with no meat. and yes, I do check out girl's butts a lot. :lol:

Edited by Eternal_D

About the scale comparison, I thought a VF battroid was the size of a Zentran.

How come that the battroid is twice as big as Milia? Are Meltran smaller than Zentran?

Females are usually a a little shorter then males, but even so, they usually aren't half as tall (and she's even standing on her toes)

This must mean that the Q-Rau is not quite 1/60 scale.

Edited by Pat S

I just messed my pants.... thats such a schweet mecha!!!

I have to agree with Eternal_D...

Way too expensive. $60-$70.... sure. I guess this forum is full of rich people, eh?

I'm not sure where Yamato justifies retailing it that much. Don't get me wrong, it has bad-ass-ity written all over it.

At least with the 1/60 VF (cheaper) and the 1/48 VF (around the same price), you get a transforming, more-thought-out-design piece of mecha...

The review, as always, is much appreciated.

Anyways, more 1/48's for me. They're too, very expensive, but look at what you get! :D

I have the money to get one yesterday, or 4 of them for that matter. But I still wont get one. For the cash I would say they needed to invest more into the pilot sculpt and articulation Im dissapointed that the visor doesnt move or isnt completly removable. I also agree to the fact of the interior. I truely like the TV version better like most stated in Grahams review. I will get a TV version for a cheaper price...Its the value of my cash to my collection that gets me, but Im the type of person that got 2 low vis early for $120-$130 shipped, call me silly, but ill be patient on this one, they have a very good start, i think that is the general consences. As far as diecast, thats a collectors fad, plastic is just as good if not better in some cases. Diecast is good if your a kid and you want to throw yer toys at other kids :p

So what exactly did you find wrong with it, or is this just the usual bitchiness?

no one can be disappointed with anything?

Essentially, Graham's review is influenced by two ways of thinking... Like all reviews ever, it makes a subjective judgement. Paraphrase: I LIKE IT!

but like all good reviews [which this is DEFINITLY a good review (no one misunderstand)] it makes objective points about its subject. Paraphrase: Slightly smaller and less intricate with less features than Hasbro's 13" Darth Vader action figure, but for 6 times the price!

I love the 1:60 line despite what everyone else says about it, I was about to die waiting for this toy... but I was expecting too much, die cast metal (Iknow what everyone thinks of horrible, horrible metal, but I love it) keeping the metal parts in the legs using ratcheted joints, the center of gravity would be low and help balance, even the 1:60 scale hip joint problem could be easily avoided in such a large, non-transforming toy by 2 or 3 ratched joint mechanisms in the hips. At least as much articulation as the 1:48 int battaloid mode... even if it were all plastic and not very articulate, if it was a big as it was in the prototype pics (as compared to 1:60 Roy) I would understand the price and buy it up quick... but it has been scaled down (look at Graham's comparison pics, and read how scale is not listed) and it doesn't even have the ability to open its missile pods (I know that would be a feat of engineering, but look at the 1:48 and its MANY amazing engineering feats, that's why the 1:48 is worth the price)

but hey, you're right! if i don't like being disappointed then I am a bitch. And if I explain my reaction... that's just more bitchiness. And if I don't pony up $120 for this 11" plastic action figure, then I am an idiot.

EDIT: also, you can buy 2 20th anniversary Optimus Primes for the price of this 1 figure.

Thank you for articulating exactly why you don't like it. It sounds more to me like you had different expectations for the toy, rather than the toy having real faults. I can certainly understand not liking the price point, anyway.

IM001056.jpg

I think it looks cool, my only concern is that it is not much bigger or at all bigger than the club m 1/72,check out the pic next to my 1/60 and the pic i the review, the kneecap seems (i really mean seems because i do not have the yamato yet) to be about the same height..........