Macross Cosplay

Commander McBride

Have these been posted? Sheryl is to my liking in this one. Ranka so-so. Klan...well... at least she's got the costume right. Is she trying to be "cute" with that pose/facial expression? I think what's missing are the eye brows. Klan had these thunderclap lightning strike eyebrows.... In any case - Klan is actually probably the hardest to pull off...

2hwhh60.jpg

Pete

Indeed, there was someone there on saturday wearing a DYRL flightsuit. I remember when those pictures were taken, I'd just come back from gtting a Gurren Laggann art book signed by two of it's directors and went to the lobby and found a ton of Macross cosplayers! It was awesome to see so many of them in one place, and not just from Frontier, but DYRL and M7 too! It was brilliant, marred only by the fact that I DIDN"T HAVE A CAMERA!!! AAAAARGH! Also there was one of the best Ozma's I'd ever seen as well as a Luca and a Brera. Basara even brought along some Fire Bomber on a stereo.

Another fun fact: one of the guys in the Anime Expo Idol contest sang "Get Free" for his entry, and half-time at the Masquerade was the winner of last year's AX Idol who sang 'Ai Oboete Imasuka' with accompaniment from two local school orchestras. If anyone else was there, I was the one going ape-sh*t and making a tit of myself. Good times...

Bummer Mitch, gotta remember the camera for next time!! ;) I wish some got a picture of that guy, would have been good to see the details to it!! But still great to see a lot of people showing off their love for MACROSS!!! B))

Hopefully more pics will surface, as to the pic VFTF1 posted, that girl cosplaying Klan looks scary or super pissed...

See the fact that you wrote so much in support of your point saddens me in what's supposed to be a fun thread. Take your wet blanket elsewhere good sir.

So thoroughly supporting one's POV with the capability to expound on things to the fullest when the need arises is a sad thing? I'm naturally verbose when I type, forgive me. I'm sure the thread is open for discussion, and I was merely responding to whatever was responded in kind. If it was a wet blanket and unfun it was because those that responded, like yourself, took it as such. I was rather half-serious when I started by the way. So don't just blame me. I may have broached the subject, but the thread dictated how "fun" it became. Yeah, leaving it to brief sarcasm like you did about four pages ago is so much more entertaining, though no more wet and uncomfortable. :ph34r:

What's really sad is your apparent need to dredge up something that had been finished for about a page now. A little late to the party, don't you think? :rolleyes: It's hilarious that you're essentially doing the same thing you're complaining about me for ;) . Might we drop it and continue having "fun"?

Commenting on the latest image, I think the Ranka is the best of the group. The wig looks great particularly. They're all pretty good. Though i think Sheryl could've benefited from different material. There's something about the lay of the fabric that just could've looked better.

i think Sheryl could've benefited from different material. There's something about the lay of the fabric that just could've looked better.

You're probably right, but I just like her for the wonderfully slurmty smirk on her face :) Which....come to think of it... is very unlike Sheryl - but this girl I like, and also, her face has a hardness and harshness to it that fits perfectly with the Dominatrix image that the costume (and Sheryl) project.

And speaking of which... this kindo f makes me think about how totally un-Dominatrix like Sheryl was. I mean, yeah yeah she tried to boss Alto around and called him slave and the like - but by and large I got the impression that Sheryl was head over heels in love with Alto and didn't so much dominate as annoy him. Nothing as dominating as Haruhi Suzumiya to Kyon...

Err...

anyways...

If you guys don't throw up some new cosplay images soon, I'm gonna have to put on a chinese waitress dress and take a picture of myself!

So...be warned! Bring me cosplay or you will have meee!! :)

pete

I realize this may be a bit off topic (not pictures of finished cosplay anyway), but those of you looking for a good base for a TV style helmet you can actually use... you might want to check this out.

504x_Scorpion_EXO_900.jpg

Would take a bit of work, but it's an actual helmet, and even has the retractable visor built in.

• 2 months later...

No no ... the Minmey is good - the problem is the camera work sucks.

We need to see her legs and we need an angle that makes her curves more visible. Ok - the hair is kinda "fake" - but it's obviously a wig.

Personally - I'm totally against wigs. Can't these people be assed to go to a stylist? My buddy is a hair stylist and I've seen him do wonders with women's hair. How hard is it to find a decent stylist and just do your real hair like the person your cosplaying? Dye it dark blue and have him do your hair like Minmey...

But other than the hair - I think the angle is all wrong - and her pose is wrong too.

On the other hand - there are unfortunately SO FEW (aka ZERO) Minmey cosplays out there that it's encouraging just seeing this one.

Pete

No no ... the Minmey is good - the problem is the camera work sucks.

We need to see her legs and we need an angle that makes her curves more visible. Ok - the hair is kinda "fake" - but it's obviously a wig.

Personally - I'm totally against wigs. Can't these people be assed to go to a stylist? My buddy is a hair stylist and I've seen him do wonders with women's hair. How hard is it to find a decent stylist and just do your real hair like the person your cosplaying? Dye it dark blue and have him do your hair like Minmey...

I'm not against wigs. Sure, when they're off, they're creepy. But we can't really ask women to destroy their natural hair by constant bleaching, dying, styling, rebleaching, dying, styling. The hair itself becomes too damaged to style effectively. Wigs are a great solution. But obviously, a high quality wig is way better than a cheapo one. And by way better I mean way more expensive.

Either way, I agree that those photos do no justice. We need a shallower depth of field, like in the first Mylene pic, and we need appropriate lighting rather than underexposed or flat. Shapes become forms when light and shadow work together. That's deep right? You know who said that? I DID.

Shapes become forms when light and shadow work together. That's deep right? You know who said that? I DID.

That's awesome :) I laughed :) Thanks ! :)

But we can't really ask women to destroy their natural hair by constant bleaching, dying, styling, rebleaching, dying, styling.

Why not? Women make us do stuff that destroys our health and sanity all the time. The least they could do for us is look good! :)

Besides, if you take care of your hair and use good hair products (including proper hair dye etc), then it actually doesn't do that much damage to your hair. Trust me, my buddy handles girls who dye their hair all the time and I've never heard women in his salon complaining about their hair being destroyed. Also, I remember when I lived with my ex girlfriend - she would usually spend about three hours in the morning in front of a mirror applying various creams, make up, this that and the other thing - and combing her hair. It's insane how long women take to "get ready" - but that's because when they're doing their thing, it's not only with a view to the immediate moment (aka "going out now" or "going to work now") but also it's a long term thing. They take care of their skin and hair and body on a daily basis to look good in the long run.

It's all a matter of habit. If a woman can get into the habit of making herself look good on a daily basis, she won't see it as a burden.

Pete

Besides, if you take care of your hair and use good hair products (including proper hair dye etc), then it actually doesn't do that much damage to your hair. Trust me, my buddy handles girls who dye their hair all the time and I've never heard women in his salon complaining about their hair being destroyed.

Eh, just a lot of the actresses I know prefer wigs, because they'd rather not put their hair through all that. I was shocked to find that out, because I just assumed they were dying and cutting and growing styling all the time, because I thought wigs all looked wack (like the wig in question here), but it turns out, there are some crazy good wigs out there. Weird.

Whatever. Shouldn't I be in 3d studio right now? I have work to do.

Wigs make more sense. Most people I know, myself included, like to cosplay more than one character. Kind of hard to cosplay Sheryl when you;re sporting Ranka dog ears. a lot even base around their own hair, or do nothin at all. Colors should be chosen more carefully though.

Hmm.. It may have been in that huge collection somewhere and I missed it, but I wonder if anyone has actually tried doing the costume that Nanase designed for Ranka?

I'm pretty sure it was Alice in Wonderland themed, and I coulda sworn it had bunny ears. There was one outfit in that collection that looked kinda similar, but no bunny ears (or giant spoon for that matter :lol:).

Michael's hair is the hardest thing to cosplay about him, I would think :)

Good job - but you could work more on the hair... it looks like he's got three shards of hair sticking out bellow his quaf, and then one little scottish/willowish yarn hanging off one side...

Generally Macross Frontier characters have some of the most complicated hairdos I've ever seen in a super robot show...

People would ask how Hikaru kept his hair like that... but the fact is, Hikaru just had long hair that kind of whisked forward...although... then again...I guess that's hard to do too...how many Hikaru cosplayers have you seen with good hair?

Still - this is a good effort. But the hair needs more work :)

Pete

hey scarlets! nice Michel cosplay, it's always nice to find out there are plenty of cosplayers here at macrossworld!

Michael's hair is the hardest thing to cosplay about him, I would think :)

Good job - but you could work more on the hair... it looks like he's got three shards of hair sticking out bellow his quaf, and then one little scottish/willowish yarn hanging off one side...

Generally Macross Frontier characters have some of the most complicated hairdos I've ever seen in a super robot show...

pardon the over-photoshopped images, but you may use this Michel's wig styling as a reference

post-2222-1257079128_thumb.jpg post-2222-1257079175_thumb.jpg post-2222-1257079198_thumb.jpg

People would ask how Hikaru kept his hair like that... but the fact is, Hikaru just had long hair that kind of whisked forward...although... then again...I guess that's hard to do too...how many Hikaru cosplayers have you seen with good hair?

Pete

this Hikaru from Dana's cosplay group has a nicely styled wig, just look at it from multiple angles:

post-2222-1257078647_thumb.jpg post-2222-1257078744_thumb.jpg post-2222-1257078812_thumb.jpg

That Hikaru is indeed good. But the Roy Fokker is the best! Awesome hair :)

As for Alto and Max...

Polidread...

Is there an explanation for why Michael and Alto are wearing what appear to be 25 inch high heel stiletos?

Did they just get out of their day jobs at the strip cluB? :lol:

Haha! real classy gig, that SMS Sqadron is running.

real cosplay reason:

they have high shoes just so they can have a more accurate height in relation to the other characters in their group photos,

in this case they want to be taller than their Sheryl

but, just focusing on the boots does make it look hilarious dont it?

one more photo with Roy and Minmay

post-2222-1257085800_thumb.jpg

Edited by polidread