Macross Cosplay

Commander McBride

Either way, it also doesn't help that her eyebrows are that purpleish color. Grace number 3 looks good too. Something about the Asian cosplayers that just seem to look more right than what's done over here. Don't know if it's just cause most female cosplayers here have bigger frames. I'll be posting many pics come July when AX comes to L.A. Hopefully some good Macross stuff, but we'll see.

Hikuro, why don't you post up what you got so far for your Frontier costume.

I think it's two things actually. One being that cosplay is marketed over there, making construction A LOT easier (like how one can buy SMS patches instead of having to make them like I did). Two is the photography. A lot of the pics seem either shopped in a way, or the Japanese really like messing with the exposure. Just looking at the Grace in question, one notices much higher color saturation, and interesting contrast balance. They look much more cartoony and manufactured, giving a somewhat more professional, if highly unnatural look. Just because she still has blemishes doesn'ty mean someone didn't futz with the levels and saturation. Either this is heavy post processing, a preference for an over-exposed "punched" look, or Japanese market SLR's are seriously out of wack. My money's on a combo of one and two. Particularly since this one photo blog I follow has a guy with a heavy preference for high ISO night exposues in with everything glows. It's both beautiful, and sickeningly unnatural.

You're more inclined to see the "I have no idea what exposure compensation or what having a strong light source behind me does to a full auto point and shoot" over here. Not to mention the lack of theatrics in some (I've yet to shoot a Lelouch/Zero that didn't merely just stand there) and composition. It's the curse of prevalent digital technology. Anyone can upload a crappy cel pic and say here's my costume. Just look at the Klan. Great costume, but the photograph just doesn't "sell it". Which is why I'll never let go of my film SLRs for serious shoots. ^_^;;

Of course, there's also the fact that the Japanese are downright anorexic in comparison to Americans. Though to be honest, I've long been sick of the "Who should I cosplay based on my facial features" threads. The truth of the matter is that nobodies going to look exactly like the character, few who do it are the right proportions, and and people shouldn't have their costumes heckled just because they aren't as cute as an idealized anime character. This a a fandom hobby, not a damn beauty contest (outside of the Cherry Blossoms judging). Some are better than others, but it's the effort that counts.

Nice one, Gubaba.

Speaking of Cellphone pics, if anyone's interested in photos from Cherry Blossom, we had two Altos, two Rankas and three Sheryls (one Ranka and Sheryl are the two I've posted before, though Sheryl is in her third costume this time). I even wound up pulling camera duty for both Rankas (not surprising since I'm an acquaintance of one).

Two is the photography.

Great post. I'd love to see the pics you took. By even MENTIONING ISO it's clear you're actually a photographer of some sort. I'm excited to see people's costumes, even if they're just snapping off quick still in their living rooms, but the real impressive photos are the ones with locations, lighting (natural or otherwise) and actual photography. You can photoshop somebody's face all day, and without a good contrast ratio between key and fill, you're gonna have either harsh shadows or a flat boring surface. Maybe there should be a "how to take great cosplay photos" thread or something, with basic information like f-stop/t-stop, lighting design, and post. I nominate NOT me to write that up.

Great post. I'd love to see the pics you took. By even MENTIONING ISO it's clear you're actually a photographer of some sort. I'm excited to see people's costumes, even if they're just snapping off quick still in their living rooms, but the real impressive photos are the ones with locations, lighting (natural or otherwise) and actual photography. You can photoshop somebody's face all day, and without a good contrast ratio between key and fill, you're gonna have either harsh shadows or a flat boring surface. Maybe there should be a "how to take great cosplay photos" thread or something, with basic information like f-stop/t-stop, lighting design, and post. I nominate NOT me to write that up.

Thanks, that line made my day. I am a bit of an amateur photographer, one that's particularly diehard about film at that. I understand that digital has it's uses, and providing quick snapshots to update to the web is one of them. I'd never waste film just to provide the shots of my Max no one seems to care for anyway. ^_^ I just like that the limitations of the format encourage better discipline in composing one's shot that's absolutely gone with digital. Digital's disposable nature makes one satisfied with posting over/underexposted, badly framed crap, simply because they can deleate it and try again, so one tends to stop caring and just mass dumps. This breeds mediocrity. It's not that I frown at such things fully, after all, not everyone cares about their picture skills like some do. Digital has allowed such people to take pictures that they probably wouldn't have. Though my biggest pet peeve is the dread of having to buy digital because "films dead" and people look at you funny when you say you don't like digital when it's "so convenient". Of course, there are plenty of bad film snapshots, you just don't find them on flickr. ^_^

Basically I'm saying that a lot of the shots we see from Japan are from hobbyists and semi-pro that have a handle on how their equipment works, and in america we have access to a much larger pool, including the shutter bug that leaves everything on full auto, and has no idea that their pictures are dark because a window's behind them. I'm sure the Japanese have the same crappy shots, we just don't find them on 4chan. Quick shots have their uses though, and sadly even I'm limited to using my 2.0mp cell phone camera since my SLR is locked up, my point and shoot's latch is broken, I miss depth prevue when using dad's SLR, and no one will buy, let alone develop my film. So, I've been taking my own fair share of crap thanks to my current limatations, though no real photographer blames his equipment.

As for "how to take better cosplay pictures" it's simple. Do what I did and learn by doing. Don't just delete your bad pics, ask yourself why they're bad. Play with the camera settings. I can understand an unwellingness to experiment with film, but with digital there's no excuse. Don't relay so much on flash and auto (though know when to use automation). Simply retaking the shot at different ISOs (if your camera allows it, my sis has a digital that won't allow flash in any mood but the auto ones which is messed up) and reading a little will help dramatically. It's like how I learned that my grainy night shots of Sleeping Beauty castle were NOT being helped by my then preference for 400 speed film, so I switched to 200. Though the biggest thing I can say is be aware of the lighting and fill the damn frame. I remember somewhere reading that a shutterbug takes a photo of a subject, a photographer takes a photo of light. It's very true. I've also seen people who never realise that they can hold the camera sideways (yet these same people love videotaping sideways). These are things one should figure out alone within the first 100 shots taken.

Damn it, I want my real cameras back! I need to get them fixed somehow. I just hope none of my film has spoiled in the years since they've been exposed. I haven't seen a shot I've taken on film in ages. My skill's waning.

Jasonc, has anybody ever told you, you bear a resemblance to a young Jean-Claude Van Damme?

Graham

No, no one has ever told me that, and my wife will think that's quite funny. Maybe I'll show her the pic. So, Jango-Fett Van Damme. A few of us in our group of buddies decided that the "I'll kick your ass" pose is quite funny. Especially when we all get together. It all started with my buddy Tom, and it's been infectious with the group since. Yeah, I'm gonna kick someone's ass, especially with that hardcore cosplay (LMAO)

Che, thanks for the compliments. I am going to bring it to MacrossWorld con 09. As far as wearing it, no go. I lose lbs. by the second wearing the jacket.

sherylnomeiibyhoneybunn.jpg

Well considering she's wearing a Sheryl costume, there's hope for her yet... B))

She is quite the doll though.... ^_^

HEHEHEHE I KNOW HER... in fact she is a friend of mine and a girlfrien of a friend of mine too

here is a pic with my girl friend

macross-3.jpg

in a macross prelaunch party that we did here in chile with our Macross Fans Group. (SMS/Ravens).

more pics (my girlfriend is with miria costume (we forget the wig in the car for the photoshoot :( )

n1172076482_30322645_3652.jpg

n1172076482_30322638_8497.jpg

n1172076482_30322648_8423.jpg

me and her

n1172076482_30322647_2366.jpg

me and my girlfriend

Edited by maximilian_jenius

my girlfriend mom did it and I know a guy who made patchs (about 3 dlrs each).

I have the patches that were sold on hlj.com. I am just looking on how to get the actual jacket. If that was made for you, my compliments to whoever constructed that. It's got a nice fit. That's awesome that your girlfriend's mom is supportive of hobbies and the sort. My parents were cool with my toy and model collecting, and anime stuff, after I met my wife through it all. They don't say much now.

HEHEHEHE I KNOW HER... in fact she is a friend of mine and a girlfrien of a friend of mine too

here is a pic with my girl friend

macross-3.jpg

in a macross prelaunch party that we did here in chile with our Macross Fans Group. (SMS/Ravens).

more pics (my girlfriend is with miria costume (we forget the wig in the car for the photoshoot :( )

n1172076482_30322645_3652.jpg

n1172076482_30322638_8497.jpg

n1172076482_30322648_8423.jpg

me and her

n1172076482_30322647_2366.jpg

me and my girlfriend

Dag, if I weren't married...

Seems to be better well done than any other seen SMS jacket here.

Naw, it's about par for the course... :ph34r:

Besides, it's too long for those that care about that (which seems not to be many). It's a nice one though.

Here's one shot I took at Cherry Blossom courtesy my acquaintances Facebook. I was taking shots of them, and some parent wanted their kid to pose with them. I decided to snap it as well. I like how it came out.

post-1202-1240591490_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2nd you tube link is simply adorable :wub:

the Thailand cosplay was also very nice, topnotch. Perhaps I'll get a blonde fro and do Bobby for AX 09, or just sport the Hikaru outfit once