Macross Cosplay

Commander McBride

Nothing perse, lets just cut back on the creepy drooling. I'm swimming over here. :lol: That, and she does always need to be hot if well put together. Sheryl was quite ugly at times in the series. My sister even thought she looked downright mannish at times. ^_^

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

wow, we have reached the point that we are no longer only nitpicking about every little detail on toys but on hot cosplayers too?? W-O-W

She is a very good Sheryl, among the best I've seen, of course she's been photoshop, but to hide some minute details, not like change hair color or a huge belly, all I'm going to say is that I've met quite a few 'models' and trust me, the stereotype is dead on, dumb as f*ck, I mean, beyond Zoolander dumb and they like the attention, they don't care if they are objectified or think as a piece of meat, whatever, they want that...

so, let's look at the pretty pictures and enjoy

Sheryl was quite ugly at times in the series. My sister even thought she looked downright mannish at times.

That's because Sheryl is a manly woman. Alto is a girly boy and Sheryl is a manly woman. That's part of her appeal :)

It's not the costume that's sleazy, it's the absolute drooling that's going on just because a good looking women is portraying a popular character.

a popular character who...is a good looking woman.

I mean - we don't exactly love Macross Frontier Sheryl and Ranka because they have great fashion sense. If MF actually meant "Macdonalds Feast" and featured Sheryl and Ranka chowing down on chicken magnugets and Big Macs for breakfast lunch and dinner and sitting in from of a TV on a sofa from morning till night until the cholesterol filled veins started exploding on their foreheads... then it wouldn't matter how great their costume designs were either :)

I dunno. I think drooling over girls is part of what cosplay is about.

Besides - whenever there were cosplay pics of guys people also drooled. I mean - I was quite impressed by one dude doing Leon a couple of pages back...

I dunno. I mean - I prefer drooling to cold, clinical aprobation. "This cosplayer has succeeded in accurately depicting the characters." "Yes, indeed. The clothing matches the line art by 97.0042%." "However, facial mimicry sadly only matches by 85.3%" "Yes, but when adjusted for light..." and on and on... It's just good fun. Hot girls dressing up as our idols :)

It's not that the only good cosplayers are "fat, ugly ones" that love the show, it's that those fat, ugly ones can make good costumes too, but no one cares because the ones wearing them are, well, fat and ugly. Sheryl's attractive in the show, does that mean only attractive women make good Sheryl costumes and should portray her? That a great Sheryl costume on a hot woman is automatically superior to a great one on a average or *gasp* homely woman. A pot-bellied Sheryl might not be anime accurate or as pleasing to the eye, but credit most still be given if she did a good job regardless. It's that mentality that's the reason so many threads get started on Cosplay.com asking who they "look like". Basically, there's more focus on who's wearing the costume versus the costume itself. Understandable as it's human nature, but rather lame at times since I though we were discussing costumes, not how hot the Macross girl fandom is. Is this "Macross Cosplay" or "Hot Macross Cosplayers"? I've seen some well done Sheryl outfits get labeled "ok" just because the girl wearing it isn't the stuff wet dreams are made of. Nothing wrong go

Well - I respect where you're coming from. But I just can't subscribe to this point of view.

Making an effort on the costume is important. But so is making an effort on exercise, dieting, weight lifting and taking care of your health. I've had times when I looked less than stellar, smoked too much, drank too much, ate too much, and didn't exercise and looked like crap and felt like crap. My girlfriend would badger me about my weight and I didn't feel good. I stopped smoking and started working out and now have managed to restore my form to its' previous glory (ok - overstatement - I'm just not fat anymore, but rather somewhere between slim and athletic).

I dunno. I just don't subscribe to the "ugly girls deserve respect for making the costume" argument - because honestly, there are very very VERY few truly ugly girls. More often than not, it's a matter of personal hygene, exercise, and taking care of your hair. Having a good hair stylist helps. My friend runs a beauty salon and I have seen hundreds of people go in and out through his place - not all of them are super models - but he has a good eye for making everyone look good.

The key is just making an effort to take care of yourself and do the best you can. Everyone has an imperfection. Heck - that imperfection is also reflected in the Macross universe. I mean, there are different characters with different attributes and different looks.

Not every girl has to dress up like Sheryl, and personally, if someone is physically radically different from Sheryl, I should think it would be better if they dressed up as a character that fit them physically.

Maybe it's also because I've worked a bit on reporting theatre as well that I'm also used to people being judged on the basis of their physical appearance - not just say, their acting skills. If the role calls for a hot blonde, then sorry - if you're an unattractive red head... you won't get it. You MIGHT get it if you're an attractive redhead who's a much better actress than a hot blond, because ultimately it's possible to dye your hair blonde or put a whig on you - but directors look for physical capablity and proportions.

And this also goes for men. I once saw a performance of a Clock Work Orange. The director chose a guy who had a monsterously massive physique - just totally ripped - but not like Mr. Atlas/Ahnold ripped - no - it was even more powerful looking because it was toned. He basically looked like a street fighter - and that was the point, because in the play there was lots of physical contact - lots of fighting and wrestling and throwing people around. So the lead role had to look the part of a hooligan. For balance, his pal had a pot belly :)

People have imperfections and different body types. Girls who don't look like Sheryl shouldn't regret it. Maybe they look like Nanase instead? That's not a bad thing.

But striving for equality in looks is - IMO - a bad idea. A hot girl who looks like Sheryl and does Sheryl deserves more praise than somebody who doesn't have what it takes to look like Sheryl.

Pete

I'm ashamed that I complimented a woman who obviously takes time to work out and look good and then took the time to put together a costume that not only does justice to the anime but also compliments her figure and then took the time to find a photographer and took several photos in some rather sexy and alluring poses.

Obviously such a person wasn't looking for people to appreciate her beauty and cosplaying skills.

You guys can't see this, but I'm hanging my head in shame.

:lol:

::sarcasm aside, I get what Mercurial Morpheus is saying. There's a line between admiring and appreciating someone and going over to just simple lecherous lewdness. I don't think we crossed that line though.

Edited by eugimon

Thanks VTR!F for giving a detailed reply. For the record guys, I'm not the uptight prude I'm sure you think me of. I'm just someone who's seen way more than his fair share of "cosplay" threads that weren't about cosplay.

That's because Sheryl is a manly woman. Alto is a girly boy and Sheryl is a manly woman. That's part of her appeal :)

Thanks for getting the joke. ^_^

a popular character who...is a good looking woman.

I mean - we don't exactly love Macross Frontier Sheryl and Ranka because they have great fashion sense. If MF actually meant "Macdonalds Feast" and featured Sheryl and Ranka chowing down on chicken magnugets and Big Macs for breakfast lunch and dinner and sitting in from of a TV on a sofa from morning till night until the cholesterol filled veins started exploding on their foreheads... then it wouldn't matter how great their costume designs were either :)

I dunno. I think drooling over girls is part of what cosplay is about.

Besides - whenever there were cosplay pics of guys people also drooled. I mean - I was quite impressed by one dude doing Leon a couple of pages back...

I dunno. I mean - I prefer drooling to cold, clinical aprobation. "This cosplayer has succeeded in accurately depicting the characters." "Yes, indeed. The clothing matches the line art by 97.0042%." "However, facial mimicry sadly only matches by 85.3%" "Yes, but when adjusted for light..." and on and on... It's just good fun. Hot girls dressing up as our idols :)

Oh, I understand that. Like i said, I have no problem with complimenting her beauty. It's just that seeing an entire page of it just really doesn't come off as appreciation for the costume. The sarcastic repliers also seem to miss this as I did write that it was "all in good fun" too. Of course it's drooling over girls is part of it (isn't it always), but as someone who's experienced it all firsthand several times in person, it gets a toucvh creepy when people make no effort to hide it. ^_^

Shouldn't that be "Macrossnald's Feast?"

Well - I respect where you're coming from. But I just can't subscribe to this point of view.

Making an effort on the costume is important. But so is making an effort on exercise, dieting, weight lifting and taking care of your health. I've had times when I looked less than stellar, smoked too much, drank too much, ate too much, and didn't exercise and looked like crap and felt like crap. My girlfriend would badger me about my weight and I didn't feel good. I stopped smoking and started working out and now have managed to restore my form to its' previous glory (ok - overstatement - I'm just not fat anymore, but rather somewhere between slim and athletic).

I dunno. I just don't subscribe to the "ugly girls deserve respect for making the costume" argument - because honestly, there are very very VERY few truly ugly girls. More often than not, it's a matter of personal hygene, exercise, and taking care of your hair. Having a good hair stylist helps. My friend runs a beauty salon and I have seen hundreds of people go in and out through his place - not all of them are super models - but he has a good eye for making everyone look good.

The key is just making an effort to take care of yourself and do the best you can. Everyone has an imperfection. Heck - that imperfection is also reflected in the Macross universe. I mean, there are different characters with different attributes and different looks.

Not every girl has to dress up like Sheryl, and personally, if someone is physically radically different from Sheryl, I should think it would be better if they dressed up as a character that fit them physically.

Maybe it's also because I've worked a bit on reporting theatre as well that I'm also used to people being judged on the basis of their physical appearance - not just say, their acting skills. If the role calls for a hot blonde, then sorry - if you're an unattractive red head... you won't get it. You MIGHT get it if you're an attractive redhead who's a much better actress than a hot blond, because ultimately it's possible to dye your hair blonde or put a whig on you - but directors look for physical capablity and proportions.

And this also goes for men. I once saw a performance of a Clock Work Orange. The director chose a guy who had a monsterously massive physique - just totally ripped - but not like Mr. Atlas/Ahnold ripped - no - it was even more powerful looking because it was toned. He basically looked like a street fighter - and that was the point, because in the play there was lots of physical contact - lots of fighting and wrestling and throwing people around. So the lead role had to look the part of a hooligan. For balance, his pal had a pot belly :)

People have imperfections and different body types. Girls who don't look like Sheryl shouldn't regret it. Maybe they look like Nanase instead? That's not a bad thing.

But striving for equality in looks is - IMO - a bad idea. A hot girl who looks like Sheryl and does Sheryl deserves more praise than somebody who doesn't have what it takes to look like Sheryl.

Pete

Oh, I agree on the part about there being few ugly girls. I was merely responding to Max's quip. I'm saying that I believe that a good part of looking at cosplay is/should be costume appreciation. My point being that a great costume is a great costume, and deserves praise no matter who's wearing it. Saying prettier cosplayers deserve more is like praising them for winning some sort of genetic lottery, as it's not just a case of simply keeping yourself in shape. Sure they're to be commended for making the effort to stay fit, but I thought the costume was the point here, not the gym. Anime characters are annorexic, sculpted demigods that few actually resemble. Of course it's awesome to find people that pull it off, and I go gaga over them myself as anyone, but i simply believe that it's shouldn't be a requirement for success . Where's the fun in that? It's like saying you can't be who you want to be because you don't look the part. That's one thing in a play, but this isn't a play. I understand your theatre analogy quite well, as I've been in a few plays, and I fully understand how and why typecasting works. It's fine there, as an illusion is being crafted to meet expectations. However, cosplay is not a job like theatre, it's a hobby. There are indeed many philosophies as to why it's done, and who you do. I have noticed a lot of people that subscribe to your thinking and only attempt characters that fit their looks. Which is fine I guess. It's the reason so many Altos are girls. Usually the best ones. Still others only go with popular characters, as even my sister won't do certain character simply because of getting no recognition. I can partly understand this. A lot of early costumes of mine were simple street clothes (Jigan, Kaji, etc) and I rarely got noticed. I once made an effort to get a Sagara Sousuke recognized with toy guns, a Mithril bag and so on, and even a guy in an FMP shirt didn't notice. It sucks even more when you put in the effort from scratch. However, I'd argue that there's few things more rewarding in the hobby than getting that one guy or girl to say "OMG, are you...?" or seeing someone else play your favorite obscure character. As I said, my philosophy is that you do it because you love the character or show, and that nobody actually looks like their character. I also have a sister that refuses to cosplay characters she enjoys because she's heavier than them. My point being that someone shouldn't have to cosplay Nanase just because she'd make a better Nanase when her favorite is Sheryl or Ranka. That's like saying I shouldn't wear my Alto costume because I make a better Ozma. That may be so, but if I want to wear Alto, I shouldn't have to be self concious of it just because I'm not a pretty boy like him. Why typecast a hobby? If I cosplayed only the characters I looked like, I'd be Global instead of Max, Wilder and Ozma instead of Alto (though I do cosplay Ozma), and basically any other average, stocky bearded guy or guy with long hair. I actually do cosplay or want to cosplay some of these characters, but not because I look like them. Half the fun is dressing like someone you love that dresses how you normally wouldn't, getting to play the part no director would cast you in for love of the role. Some of the most incredible costumes I've seen were by people making an outfit work for them.

It's a difference in philoshy I guess. I think I have it as I appear to be the only active cosplayer commenting and got into it for different reasons. "I've...seen things..you people wouldn't believe."

And yeah, we haven't fully crosed the line, which is why I was joking that we were starting to look it though. Carry on fellas. :lol:

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I just wanna point out this problem:

Merc Morph writes:

lets just cut back on the creepy drooling.

But dude - call me weak willed - I start drooling whenever I see your slide-show avatar! All the Macross girls flash before my eyes in seconds :)

So - you started it :)

Pete

Merc Morph writes:

But dude - call me weak willed - I start drooling whenever I see your slide-show avatar! All the Macross girls flash before my eyes in seconds :)

Pete

It has the same effect on me; not to mention Polidread's valkgirl avatar.

I believe we can find the hypocritical Morpheus at fault for our predicament, as well as our own hypocrisy when it comes to speaking of sleaze, then looking forward to one of Polidread's artworks.

In the morning, I won't remember any of this, so excuse me if I'm out of line somehow. I cna't even read any more. Man, I need to get to sleep.

Merc Morph writes:

Pete

Nice.^_^:lol:

I suppose there's one vote for not going back to just Millia as it was before. Not all of thems there. I still need to add a decent pic of Cathy, but there's not much fanart of her. I'm sure putting Nora and perhaps Sara in wouldn't hurt either, I just haven't watched Zero in a while. Maybe Myung and Sharon. I don't know. There's still plenty of overhead on it. Minmay and Misa need expansion too, it's way too Frontier-y considering my preferences.

Though chances are it'll just be Cathy to avoid mass reorganizing. Or I'll just leave it be.

Nice costumes, but so much overdone photography. Nanase's glowing.

UN Spacy thanks for sharing the great Sheryl pics! We definitely need more cosplayers of her overall quality. :)

IMHO I do not agree whatsover that a rotund/muffintop girl cosplaying should be given credit merely because of the quality of her outfit. How many of you actually check if a girl's cosplay is truly show accurate? Lets be honest, how many of us just want to see an attractive girl in cosplay? I will be the first to admit I do otherwise I for one do not even waste my time glancing.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus