Going to watch Macross Plus

DARTHTODD

I'm going to watch/buy the Macross Plus series. Is it better to watch the OVA's or the Movie? What's the difference. Also, if I understood some previous threads correctly, the Macross Plus movie is subbed english while there are versions of the OVA's with dubbed english? Is the dubbed english any good or should I stick with subbed versions. Thanks, and sorry if some of this has already been answered previously.

The dubbed version of Macross Plus is fine, actually (IMO)! They both have good points. The OVAs are longer than the movie (it's always good to have as much Macross Plus as possible :) ), but I like the movie's ending better, personally. They're both great, though ;)

Edited by Lotus-6

Given a choice, I'd watch the OVA. It features more action, more characterisation, more....everything. And in spite of what some people say, the added footage in the movie version isn't all important. While some of it fills in some gaps (particularly around the ending) other segments are pretty pointless. For example, the added shot of Isamu landing the YF-19 battroid after his aerobatic joyride. Did this really need clarification? Were there viewers who were confused by the OVA version? Did they just assume that Isamu continued free-falling through the core of the planet and back into space?

If not for the fact that Manga really screwed up the movie release by making it a straight VHS to DVD dump, I'd say you're cool with just the movie edition. But I'd also reccomend picking up both releases.

I do reccomend staying away from the dub though. Aside from some bizarre re-writes, it has robotech voice actors in the cast, and episode 4 has all sound effects & movies re-done by Manga (they claim they were un-able to get the original materials for the dub, though Bandai seemed to have no problem mixing their dub with the proper SFX & music for the R2 internatioanl edition LD).

I VASTLY prefer the movie.

They added stuff to stretch out the OVA, and it really stretches credibility a lot farther than I'm willing to give them at some points(the live-ammo incident springs to mind), and one or 2 things really just make no sense whatsoever.

They added stuff to stretch out the OVA, and it really stretches credibility a lot farther than I'm willing to give them at some points(the live-ammo incident springs to mind), and one or 2 things really just make no sense whatsoever.

I'd say the opposite. The movie version removed so many parts to fit the time that it seemed disjointed and didn't flow as well as the OVA did.

Thanks, looks like I'll start off with the OVA episodes since I'm big on action.  Thanks for all your help!

The OVA are pretty good. The English-dubs are actually pretty good and not even remotely robotech-dub (RT's one of the worst anime-dubbing ever). Macross Plus is one of the best english-dubbed anime out there.

Too bad that Mangle screwed up the Movie edition with its vhs-dump, the hard-subs, and the lack of the excellent english-dubs. It would've been alot more awesome with the english-dubs in the more mature-scenes.

Edited by treatment

I hadn't seen the OVA for awhile, and I rented the movie. The production values were great but the last half didn't make any sense. The dropped alot of important plot points and stuck in a bunch of big explosions. The Zentraedi is pissed at Assamu so he trashes a whole city? Where did that come from? I'd definitely reccommend the OVA over the movie.

I'd say the opposite. The movie version removed so many parts to fit the time that it seemed disjointed and didn't flow as well as the OVA did.

According to Macross Compendium, the movie is the story as it was originally intended.

http://macross.anime.net/fallacies/index.html

The OVA added parts. Some were good parts, I admit.

But overall, I just felt the story flow was mucked up, and some of the additions were just crap.

Optimally, I'd prefer a mix. Somewhere between the movie and the OVA. A bit more fleshed-out characters, but none of the nonsense with walking off from airplane crashes and over-contrived weapons accidents.

But of the 2 options available, I'd rather have the movie.

I'm going to have to chime in again, that freakin' dub "sucked," and that's all there is to it. Aside from the presence of robotech voice actors, and some pretty bizarre script changes, the odd choice in dubbing Voices into english, while changing the words to reflect events in the storyline that didn't happen until 7 years after the song would have been written is just inane. That and the improper music & SFX used in the last episode....just plain sad.

As for the movie edition, nothing of major consequence is removed, aside from "explosions" so to speak (mind you they were cool fight scenes, but not necessary to the story). In place are more scenes that actually forward the story (which make the complaints even more bizarre). A slightly weaker ending is a worthy trade-off for a superior ending, and damnit, Lucy fanservice!

I agree with JBO, I vastly prefer the Movie edition over the OVA's. I own both and still love the OVA's but think the movie edition is much better. To me the characters come off much more mature in the movie and that's saying alot considering they still act like dolts!!! :p I agree with everyone else that the ending is much better not just for clarification purposes but also the style of the whole end battle sequence is just beautifu.

BSU, I really liked the extended aerodancing sequence with Isamu. I don't think the last bit was added to prove he landed, but rather just finish the scene instead of just cutting to additional flight sequences. plus it's cool how he screems down the side of the OPS building giving everyone inside a little rattle :D

Just my 2 cents

Chris

I liked both, but I would say to start with the movie if funds are limited. The ending is worth the purchase.

Next, if you can, at least get the 1st episode of OVA (actually the DVD comes with episodes 1 and 2). It starts off with a great action scene involving the VF-11B.

And if you've bought those, you might as well go for the 2nd DVD with episodes 3 and 4! ;)

I will chime in and say I like the OVA better, but you need both :D

The dubs are some of the best I've heard - it's got some RT voice actors, but their performance is waaaay better.

But you need the OVA because that is the only way you will get the asteroid dog fight scene, yes? (I don't think it's in the movie anyway) and that is the best dogfight scene in Macross IMHO. BTW, it is this scene where you see Isamu use Gerwalk mode in space, so I don't trust all those people who say Gerwalk is unneeded in space.

Edited by dna

According to Macross Compendium, the movie is the story as it was originally intended.

Yeah, and the Star Wars special editions are how they were 'originally intended' - irrelevant.

No matter how you spin it, the movie was a reedit of the OVA, and it shows.

As far as "nothing of consequence" being removed? I'd say removing the main scene that shows Isamu isn't a complete jerk and actually cares at least a bit about Myung and replacing it with an absolutely worthless fanservice scene counts as doing a disservice.

The dub.. was poor. Isamu was actually cast and done quite well, every other character definately was not.

Yeah, and the Star Wars special editions are how they were 'originally intended' - irrelevant.

Except the special edition wasn't written first, it was edited 20 years later, and the M+ movie was written before the OVA was even made, then the script was stretched out for an OVA.

No matter how you spin it, the movie was a reedit of the OVA, and it shows.

I didn't know there WAS a movie when I saw the OVA and I thought there were serious problems.

When I DID see the movie, it was VERY evident to me that that was the way the story was intended to go, and wondered why the hell they'd even BOTHERED with the OVA..

Then I saw that blurb on MAcross Compendium, and everything made sense for the first time since I saw the thing.

As far as "nothing of consequence" being removed? I'd say removing the main scene that shows Isamu isn't a complete jerk and actually cares at least a bit about Myung and replacing it with an absolutely worthless fanservice scene counts as doing a disservice.

In exchange we're treated with TWO problems later.

First, Guld accuses Isamu of not being there for Myung, and Isamu is thoroughly baffled.

If he just got to the concert hall a few minutes after Guld did, it doesn't work. Isamu should have blown up right then and there.

Now if he never even answered the phone because he was ... occupied, that conversation makes sense. He's just now finding out anything happened last night.

Then Lucy comes out and starts talking about how he's not hers and she was wrong to not tell him Myung had left, and they haven't even established any sort of relationship?

Yah, great. So Lucy gets to come off as completely insane and more than a little scary. At least Millia was HONEST about being psychotic, Lucy just broke in and deleted messages off his answering machine because she'd decided he was going to be hers despite going on exactly one date. A date that ended in a fistfight over ANOTHER girl, I might add.

Edited by JB0

I'm going to have to chime in again, that freakin' dub "sucked," and that's all there is to it.

nope, they were good, borderline great, now the dub for Mac 2 sucked

Great how? The bad script changes? Myung being whiney? Isamu being more cocky than cool? How was the dub good?

I'm going to have to chime in again, that freakin' dub "sucked," and that's all there is to it.

Great how? The bad script changes? Myung being whiney? Isamu being more cocky than cool? How was the dub good?

I don't know where there's a change in the script that really majorly affects anything.

The english-Myung did not come across as whiney. I don't know where you got that impression. The japanese-Myung had the better-sounding vocals, but the emotions conveyed are practically the same levels between them.

The english-Isamu has the same cockiness-level as the japanese-Isamu.

The english-Milliard had the same stoicity as the japanese-Millard. He was actually more "black" than the japanese-Millard since Beau/John Billingslea is actually a black dude.

The english-Guld was the same as the japanese-Guld. Menacing and hiding a troubled past.

The english-Lucy was a little ditzier and more feminine than Megumi's, but Megumi's a tall order to even make a fair comparison. Since there was no English-dubs in the movie where Lucy had more real acting lines, it'll be incomplete to do any voice-acting comparison.

The english-Sharon was alot more menacing and had more dread than the japanese-Sharon. Much more exciting to listen to than the japanese-sharon.

The english-Marj (Steve Blum/David Lucas) came across alot more conniving than the japanese-Marj.

Of all the major characters Plus to complain about, it'll only be the english-Yang. Yang's english-vocals was really off due to the Yang's revealed character-age. The japanese-Yang really nailed the character good.

Edited by treatment

I guess your personal opinion is diferent then my personal opinion,,,crazy world :rolleyes:

I dissagree, the Japanese Isamu was far more suave than the english one. Myung was decidedly more whiney, Guld was too monotone in the dub, Sharon was never supposed to sound "menacing," as she wasn't evil in the first place. I've blocked the Yang dub out form my mind, and will continue to do so forever.

As for bizarre script changes, the one that stands out most in my mind is when Sharon is telling Myung that she doesn't need her anymore (start of the war armistace concert), and mentions something about a sister....what the hell was that?

Everything combined with the bad dub of voices, and the mangling of the 4th episodes sfx & bg just make the dub not even remotely worth it.