New pictures of the MPC Alpha's

Skull 0ne

I'm still buying a whole set, they look great to me.

I even have a full set of the original fat-assed poorly proportioned flimsy as hell brittle wing Gakken toys and in my eyes outside of being the Spud Webb of my Mospeada toy collection these things will have a place of honor. Price is price, I pre-ordered my first one with Kevin at VE so if they do sell out then I'm on the ups with it... and if they do flounder then the other three can be had on eBay for cheaper.

I'm still buying a whole set, they look great to me.

I even have a full set of the original fat-assed poorly proportioned flimsy as hell brittle wing Gakken toys and in my eyes outside of being the Spud Webb of my Mospeada toy collection these things will have a place of honor. Price is price, I pre-ordered my first one with Kevin at VE so if they do sell out then I'm on the ups with it... and if they do flounder then the other three can be had on eBay for cheaper.

oh boy!!! ;) <-- snipe!

God, why don't they get rid of that ridiculous blue canopy?

Well, in the end it's probably a blessing in disguise. If the canopy were clear then they would have to have a detailed cockpit, and a pilot figure, and that would push the MSRP up another $50 for sure.

NOTE: Prototype unit shown. Actual shipping version to feature additional decals and a CLEAR cockpit canopy that can be opened for access to pilot inside

The fighter mode actually looks quite nice from what I can see. The end result unfortunately skews the soldier mode into looking stumpy and unimpressive. It's a personal opinion of course, but I tend to think that unlike the Valkyrie, the Legioss should be optimized for soldier mode.

I think Bsu is right about them selling-out though; there's no one else manufacturing New Generation/Mospeada merchandise, so the chances are good that they'll be snatched-up. The price is still highway robbery though.

I think they look great - besides the blue canopy which won't be on the production version. I also think that these will sell much much better than the MPC VF-1's. Those MPC had worse proportions and a lot of competition. I think most people will flinch at the price, though. I hoping that prices will drop in the $60 range but I doubt they will drop any lower than that unless there is a serious QC problem.

I have no complaint about the toy, but the MSRP of $80 seems too high for such a small toy. Only time will tell if people are willing to pay that much. I'm not a big enough fan of Mospeada to buy these at $80...maybe at $40 I'd bite.

That $80 price tag may be partly our fault. Before you grab the torches and pitchforks, let me explain. Back when HG and Toynami were planning the MPC line, it was clear that we were gladly spending $80 and more on import Valks. I'm sure that was part of the decision to price the MPC line like they did. By whatever twisted "logic" they used, it's been long since decided that any MPC will meet the $80 price point, regardless of what the actual toy is. Heck, Toynami could produce an MPC Petite Cola machine in 1/55 and it would still retail for $80.

Market tendancies can change quite drastically from one year to the other. They're definitely HOPING to be able to get $80 retail, but as with any other product, if sales start to stagnate, prices will fall to hopefully compensate.

Personally, I was always under the Impression that The Macross Saga was the most popular segment of Robotech hands-down, and I'm rather curious to see how well the Alphas do overall. I'm sure they'll move like hotcakes initially, but 6 months down the road... Who knows. Toynami are making a drastic mark-up on the Alphas; even if sales go sour after a few months and they end-up having to take some stock back, they'll probably have made enough money on initial sales to cut their losses.

I think that $80 is a little too high for that, but it won't come down much since nobody else is making Alphas. Fortunately, I only want the Legioss Zeta (I'm not buying the RT ones unless they get some tasteful packaging) so I can see what happens to prices. And the prices wouldn't be so bad if they dropped the limited edition crap (although they didn't sell out of the MPCs, with the exception of volume 1).

I have this one preodered too. Waiting to see the final product. So far the only nice one is the Gakken 1/35. Right not they are going for more that double the price of this. If you can find a nice one you are doing great. I think I had all the problems previously listed like shoulder joints breaking, knees breaking, and floppy wings. Hopefully Toynami will put the landing gear in the right place. I see they fix the gap issue in the fighter mode.

Looks good. I'm hoping to catch soem discounted but won't pre-order them... whether I pay full price or not will depend on the initial reviews and we get a more complete look at these things.

It looks pretty good to me... but it's definitely far too wee for me to imagine spending $80 dollars on it.

I honestly don't think they can possibly sell enough of these to keep that MSRP. The MPC VF-1s dropped in price and these will too. Mospeada isn't as popular as Macross, regardless of them being the "only game in town." That, combined with the lilliputian scale of the toy will keep them from selling at $80.

Not to mention that anyone pre-ordering this toy is far, far braver than I am. After the fiasco of Toynami's VF-1J Rick... I'll wait to see how the finished toy is reviewed before I plunk down any of my cash.