Harmony Gold & Toynami releasing DYRL? Toys

Duke Togo

Personally, it looks like they're still using the exact same head (not the more refined DYRL VF-1A head) though it is a bit heard to tell in the pictures. Seems to be just another case of "no one pinned us for bootlegging toys, so we'll bootleg the paint schemes too."

Considering Graham is the only one here with any real ties to anything, GET ON THE PHONE TO YAMATO & HAVE THEM GET ON THE PHONE TO BIG WEST TO CHECK THIS OUT!!! ....pleae? :)

I keep reading that the rights to DYRL were all tied up in obscure ways which is why nobody's done a US release. But the source for this claim is Harmony Gold, isn't it? If so, isn't it possible they were fudging the facts? I can easily imagine that what was really going behind the scenes was that HG was trying to get the DYRL rights from BW, while blocking BW from dealing with anyone else.

I've already emailed Yamato about this. Waiting for a reply.

I hate to bug you about this, but you've implied in another thread that Yamato no longer believes it has the right to make Macross toys for the U.S. market. (Macross II toys were the topic of discussion.) Is this something you can elaborate on?

I just posted my analysis of the situation (though a bit simplified) at robocrap.com. I figured I might as well post it here too, cause it'll likely be deleted there in a matter of hours <_<

This all seems pretty shady to me....

HG owns the rights to the original SDF Macross TV series outside of japan.  And unless another deal has been struck that we haven't been told about... that's it.  DYRL is a seperate entity, despite the fact that SDF Macross and DYRL both have VF-1 Valkyries in them.

Now, if HG / Toynami wanted to release DYRL VF-1 toys, like the VF-1S Hikaru and Focker (normal types) I suppose they probably could.  Becuase they own the VF-1 design, and the differences between those DYRL versions and the TV series valks are all cosmetic (only paint and marking differences).

But there's one difference between TV and DYRL valks that is undeniable.  Ok, one valk, really.  That is, the Strike Valkyrie. 

See that dual beam cannon on Focker's right booster pack?  That is exclusive to DYRL.  And so, like I said, earlier, unless HG has accuired the rights to DYRL.... <b>HG does not own the Strike Valkyrie!!</b>

I'm refering solely to the design of that beam cannon pack.  It's not in Macross TV.  HG does not own it.  And if they go through with this release, it may very well instigate a lawsuit between HG and BW.

Now, allow me to present a parallel scenario.  Suppose some japanese company accuires a Macross liscense from Big West to produce a VF-1 toy and release it within Japan.  And then they decide they're going to make a variant of that toy -- a YF-1R. 

Obviously, it's very similar to a VF-1.  The only difference is the head.  But neither that company, nor BW own the design of that head.  Only harmony gold does.  And so they'd definitely be asking for trouble by making that toy.

See any similarity?

I've already emailed Yamato about this. Waiting for a reply.

Also, I noticed on the Toynami DYRL figs, that the arm FPs are the TV type, with the slanted front.

Graham

At least they have the sharp edged DYRL hands...but then they always did...

Cyc (prefers the TV VF-1A head and rounded TV style hands)

Shin still tinks toynami is using this to take advantage o f the legal stalemate and issue a NMPC VF-1S in DYrl colors with a freaking strike cannon. Boosters on MPC fast packs are removwable for what? Who the hell knows...unless they can swpa there is NO use for them to be taken off. therefore I belive a cannon is in the works.

Back in da day From what I remember toycom was able to put out DYRl valks....so ya this is weird. I feel a dvd Dyrl and other crap coming out from HG.

fortunately bandai has long ben rumored to reisuse the strike this year. Bandai and bigwest along with yamato could destroy HG in lgal battels I belive.

BUt yea I hope BIg west gets back to graham quick....maybe then not only will hje be able to tell us what they told him but also yhamatos upcoming pans...

fortunately bandai has long ben rumored to reisuse the strike this year. Bandai and bigwest along with yamato could destroy HG in lgal battels I belive.

that rumour's been around since: what? 1993???

BUt yea I hope BIg west gets back to graham quick....maybe then not only will hje be able to tell us what they told him but also yhamatos upcoming pans...

<_<<_<<_<<_< ....You never stop, do you?

Personally, it looks like they're still using the exact same head (not the more refined DYRL VF-1A head) though it is a bit heard to tell in the pictures. Seems to be just another case of "no one pinned us for bootlegging toys, so we'll bootleg the paint schemes too."

they always had dyrl style heads on the vf-1a

they always had dyrl style heads on the vf-1a

Nope, just gave the eye grey edges.

I guess Toynami DYRL toys using the TV series head is no different from Yamato toys claiming to be TV series VF-1A with the DYRL head...

Cyc

THIS IS GARBAGE!! I know, how about Yamato make some Legiouss molds. Some alphas from Yamato would be alot more accurate then what I've seen from HG. I mean of HG can go ahead and make the DYRL figures with no regard to ownership of the copyright (not that they have for preious releases) then what's to stop Yamato or John Mascato from making the Legioss. Me thinks this is all too shady <_<

I just posted my analysis of the situation (though a bit simplified) at robocrap.com. I figured I might as well post it here too, cause it'll likely be deleted there in a matter of hours <_<
This all seems pretty shady to me....

HG owns the rights to the original SDF Macross TV series outside of japan.  And unless another deal has been struck that we haven't been told about... that's it.  DYRL is a seperate entity, despite the fact that SDF Macross and DYRL both have VF-1 Valkyries in them.

Now, if HG / Toynami wanted to release DYRL VF-1 toys, like the VF-1S Hikaru and Focker (normal types) I suppose they probably could.  Becuase they own the VF-1 design, and the differences between those DYRL versions and the TV series valks are all cosmetic (only paint and marking differences).

But there's one difference between TV and DYRL valks that is undeniable.  Ok, one valk, really.  That is, the Strike Valkyrie. 

See that dual beam cannon on Focker's right booster pack?  That is exclusive to DYRL.  And so, like I said, earlier, unless HG has accuired the rights to DYRL.... <b>HG does not own the Strike Valkyrie!!</b>

I'm refering solely to the design of that beam cannon pack.  It's not in Macross TV.  HG does not own it.  And if they go through with this release, it may very well instigate a lawsuit between HG and BW.

Now, allow me to present a parallel scenario.  Suppose some japanese company accuires a Macross liscense from Big West to produce a VF-1 toy and release it within Japan.  And then they decide they're going to make a variant of that toy -- a YF-1R. 

Obviously, it's very similar to a VF-1.  The only difference is the head.  But neither that company, nor BW own the design of that head.  Only harmony gold does.  And so they'd definitely be asking for trouble by making that toy.

See any similarity?

Valkyrie, very nice post. I'd look to see if its still on RT .com but I can't stand to look at the posts to that website's forums... its an eye sore. Don't know if you tried reading them, but most read like they were written by a 12yo.

I (speaking for myself) like the super-possables. I like the fact that the DYRL versions are coming out... but at the same time I hope HG get spanked (unless they struck a new deal with BW).

oh shoot... did I mention HG blows ebola monkeys?

Prehaps they are going to combine the names of both series or somthing in the near future, or maybe they are rubbing out the name robotech and are just going to use the name Macross from now on.? I mean you see the words Macross all over Robotech DVDs, so prehaps change is in the air...

As noble as that might sound.... it would be hard to take 2 stablished franchises and simply fuse them together. ;)

Remember, Abombz, that you're talking about the company that fused Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada and got away with it for this long.

Considering how little attention Southern Cross gets, and how seperate MOSPEADA and Macross are, I would say you are incorrect. Look at how many continuity questions are constantly brought up by Robotech fans. Harmony Gold did a horrid job.

hey I agree (for once) with Duke Todo ;) , Southern Cross doesn't get enough attention :angry:;):D

as for doing a horrid job... for takeing three completely unrelated stores and makeing them "flow" together (well sort of). They did a descent job making 85 eppisodes. What happened after 1985.... was just the crap that made us (speeking of Robotech and Macross fans alike, though not all :( ) hate HG.

hey did I mention this... I saw HG blowing my neighbors poodle

:wacko: i had to register on Robocrap.com to read all about this :wacko:

My opinions (like a lot of you):

1- this just a try to see how far they can go

2- There is an agreament between Toynami and BW

Anyway I think we have over react on RT and here. We will see what happen.

and robocrapies are wondering about other robocrap universe super-posables, they don't really care about DYRL ones.

Anyway, i had never bought toynami's super-posables, and i'll not !

why ? because i found them ugly

Prehaps they are going to combine the names of both series or somthing in the near future, or maybe they are rubbing out the name robotech and are just going to use the name Macross from now on.? I mean you see the words Macross all over Robotech DVDs, so prehaps change is in the air...

As noble as that might sound.... it would be hard to take 2 stablished franchises and simply fuse them together. ;)

Remember, Abombz, that you're talking about the company that fused Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada and got away with it for this long.

And whos fault was that? Who should've gotten in the way of the butchering, but wasn't really interested in the franchise untill studio Nue butchered the franchise to make Macross 2? <_<

A lot of people are whining and complaining about how most RTers don't know a thing about Macross and its origins before becoming part of of Robotech.

Has it ever occured to anyone here that maybe these DYRL toys will do just that and get some fans interested in the original show?

Right.... and if the limited edition Macross stuff and the Animeigo Macross set ddin't increase the awareness... what makes you think that rather obscure movie (for RT fans)based toys will change anything? <_<

These things have sort of been bugging me all night so I decided to ask the question:

Why in the world are they making a Kakizaki battroid from DYRL? You never once see his unit in battroid mode. Won't they confuse some of the "less experienced" people who may have only seen bits and pieces of DYRL or the Clash of the Bionoids travesty? I like Kakizaki just as much as the other guy but talk about going straight to the bottom of the "did not see" barrel and making a toy from it... makes me wonder if other "not seen in the movie" battroid super posables are coming next like the Super Ostritch battroid and Elintseeker batttroid.

These things have sort of been bugging me all night so I decided to ask the question:

Why in the world are they making a Kakizaki battroid from DYRL? You never once see his unit in battroid mode. Won't they confuse some of the "less experienced" people who may have only seen bits and pieces of DYRL or the Clash of the Bionoids travesty? I like Kakizaki just as much as the other guy but talk about going straight to the bottom of the "did not see" barrel and making a toy from it... makes me wonder if other "not seen in the movie" battroid super posables are coming next like the Super Ostritch battroid and Elintseeker batttroid.

Also there was not an actually seen Super Kakizaki VF-1A either. So much for research from Toymani lol but the new Macross PS2 had the ability to play as Kakizaki in his DYRL scheme(with and without armor).

ALso a pic on RT.com shows a Hikaru VF-1S

post-26-1076512226.gif

Edited by dejr8bud

Actually in the first battle everyone had fast packs, just they didn't show Kakizaki in Battroid.

I just read the RT.com thread, and the idiots there are still deleting anything Yamato related and the hardcore RT'ers are basically saying "so what" so far on those highlighting that HG does not have the rights right now, and defending HG's censorship. I'm waiting for them to start deleting criticizing posts. Kind of funny in there.

I just read the RT.com thread, and the idiots there are still deleting anything Yamato related and the hardcore RT'ers are basically saying "so what" so far on those highlighting that HG does not have the rights right now, and defending HG's censorship. I'm waiting for them to start deleting criticizing posts. Kind of funny in there.

Thats it! Proof!!!! HG is run by a bunch of Fascists!!!

Speak against the "governing body" and they silence you!!

:cough: HG blows :cough: :cough:

ah holy hell.. how in the world could this happen without anyone knowing of it till it was set in stone?  How does HG plan to explain to all their Robotech fans wtf DYRL? is?  To them, this has to be like telling their children that Santa isn't real..

Lemme clear soemthing up for you guys, since some of you have trouble understanding this.

ROBOTECH FANS AREN'T IDIOTS

Things may have changed, but when I was a regular in the Robotech community (pre-Robotech.com days) every Robotech fan knew the difference between Macross and Robotech. Not only did they know the difference, 95% of them liked both Macross and Robotech.

I'll pause for a second to let you guys pull your jaws off the floor. :rolleyes:

A lot of people here on Macross World are under the impression that Robotech fans dont understand the differences between Macross and Robotech. Unless the average IQ of Robotech.com members is painfully low, it's pretty safe to say that they understand the differences as well.

My point is that just because people here on Macross World disagree with most Robotech fans, don't let a difference in opinion give you the idea that they're idiots. For that matter, don't let a few losers with too much time on their hands that come and troll over here ruin your opinion of all Robotech fans, either.

hey, I know they're not ALL idiots.. I was, and still am, a big Robotech fan... but I'll honestly say I didn't know the big differences until I came here. I had no idea how Robotech was created from 3 different animated series. I had no idea what DYRL? was, yet I'd seen Clash of the Bionoids, and had no idea why it was "associated" to Robotech (at least, to my ignorance). I had no idea that DYRL? was a retelling of the real Macross story. I had no idea who Kawamori was, or that he'd designed it all.

None of this makes me an idiot, and I never said Robotech fans were. I simply implied exactly what I admitted of myself: ignorance. I've been a huge fan of Robotech since I was 5yrs old in 1985, so I'm not too sure about your "every Robotech fan knew the difference" statement. Most of my life, I only knew of Robotech's existance.. not Macross.

All I can say is, thank God I found this place.. :rolleyes:

Lemme clear soemthing up for you guys, since some of you have trouble understanding this.

ROBOTECH FANS AREN'T IDIOTS

Things may have changed, but when I was a regular in the Robotech community (pre-Robotech.com days) every Robotech fan knew the difference between Macross and Robotech. Not only did they know the difference, 95% of them liked both Macross and Robotech.

I'll pause for a second to let you guys pull your jaws off the floor.  :rolleyes:

A lot of people here on Macross World are under the impression that Robotech fans dont understand the differences between Macross and Robotech. Unless the average IQ of Robotech.com members is painfully low, it's pretty safe to say that they understand the differences as well.

My point is that just because people here on Macross World disagree with most Robotech fans, don't let a difference in opinion give you the idea that they're idiots. For that matter, don't let a few losers with too much time on their hands that come and troll over here ruin your opinion of all Robotech fans, either.

hey, I know they're not ALL idiots.. I was, and still am, a big Robotech fan... but I'll honestly say I didn't know the big differences until I came here. I had no idea how Robotech was created from 3 different animated series. I had no idea what DYRL? was, yet I'd seen Clash of the Bionoids, and had no idea why it was "associated" to Robotech (at least, to my ignorance). I had no idea that DYRL? was a retelling of the real Macross story. I had no idea who Kawamori was, or that he'd designed it all.

None of this makes me an idiot, and I never said Robotech fans were. I simply implied exactly what I admitted of myself: ignorance. I've been a huge fan of Robotech since I was 5yrs old in 1985, so I'm not too sure about your "every Robotech fan knew the difference" statement. Most of my life, I only knew of Robotech's existance.. not Macross.

All I can say is, thank God I found this place.. :rolleyes:

it reminds me that i always have to argue about the difference between robotech and macross on the french website where i'm a MOD .

Some of them even think that robotech is japanese and that macross, southern cross and mospeada are U.S. !

Some of theme even make a confusion between robotech and macross and said that they have macross saison 1, 2 and 3 on DVD O_o.

This is not really a question of stupidity, but ignorance ! well for most robotech fans

Edited by isamu_dyson

call it silly, but I think this will be a win, win situation as far as DVDs and toysand other products. If they are realeasing the DYRL movie in the states, maybe they will budget for a good dub. Once this catches on, look for a price drop in toys and products from all manufacturers. They are ussing the true names for that charicters, they cant release a product without the general populus knowwing where it came from,,,sit back and relax, I think the outcome will be good.

call it silly, but I think this will be a win, win situation as far as DVDs and toysand other products. If they are realeasing the DYRL movie in the states, maybe they will budget for a good dub. Once this catches on, look for a price drop in toys and products from all manufacturers. They are ussing the true names for that charicters, they cant release a product without the general populus knowwing where it came from,,,sit back and relax, I think the outcome will be good.

::wild applause::

I love positive thinking ;)

One thing I've noticed from Toynami is that they seem to go out of their way to try and pick "unused" paint schemes for toys, even if the toys themselves are stunningly unoriginal in design. The TV Kakizaki "Ben" 1A Masterpiece valk, the VF-1D superposeable (which was not quite the first, but way ahead of Yamato)...

It seems they're up to the same thing here... "look, we're big fans - we made a Kakizaki!"

It definitely seems more likely that they are simply trying to push BW into a rights discussion... otherwise, why aren't they attempting to release the DVD of DYRL?

Doesn't it seem really, really, really odd that the same company that has blocked the release of this wonderful film for 20 years in the US is now celebrating it with toys?

What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky. Rivers and seas boiling.

Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...

The dead rising from the grave.

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.