Harmony Gold & Toynami releasing DYRL? Toys

Duke Togo

http://robotech.com/store/viewproductpreord.php?id=205

MACROSS "Do You Remember Love?" Super-Poseable Figures Series #1

In celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the classic 1984 anime motion picture "MACROSS: Do You Remember Love?" Harmony Gold and Toynami are proud to announce the release of this first special edition series of Super-Poseable figures featuring designs of the VF-1 Super Valkyrie Battroids seen in the movie.

The "MACROSS: Do You Remember Love?" Series #1 includes three different Super-Poseable Figures, each with Super/Strike Armor "fast pack" attachments. Each figure has over 15 points of articulation that allow for a full range of awesome poses.

This set gets you ALL 3 of the following:

- VF-1S Roy Focker's "Skull Leader" Strike Battroid Valkyrie

- VF-1A Hikaru Ichijo's Super Battroid Valkyrie

- VF-1A Hayao Kakizaki's Super Battroid Valkyrie

All featuring the exclusive Skull Squadron colors as seen in the film.

:blink:

Edited by Duke Togo

I'm guessing that the second series will have the super vf-1a max, and vf-1s strike hikaru. I'm surprised that they are releasing Hayao Kakizaki's valk before Max's valk. That's a first. I wonder what else they'll have for the second series? Anyway, these look ok. Once they have them at the stores, I'll see if they are worth buying or not.

I'm guessing that the second series will have the super vf-1a max, and vf-1s strike hikaru. I'm surprised that they are releasing Hayao Kakizaki's valk before Max's valk. That's a first. I wonder what else they'll have for the second series? Anyway, these look ok. Once they have them at the stores, I'll see if they are worth buying or not.

Nah.

Although I appreciate the stylized sculpt of the Wonderfest Valk, the design simply doesn't lend itself to a poseable toy. It looks really silly.

Also, add in the fact that, as usual, Toynami basically stole the design from the guy who did it for Wonderfest... well I'd rather not support a company who does that.

I wonder if this is a sign that DYRL will be released stateside.

If so, If I hear Reba West sing We Will Win during the final battle instead of Mari Ijima singing Do You Remember Love, Carl Macek shall find himself buried neck deep in the Mojave Desert with Jam smeared all over his face.

*Scratches Head* How in the worlds did this happen? HG doesn't have the DYRL liscence, are they just try to push the bounds or did they reach some kind of deal with Big West? I see this as either being a very good or very bad thing. Maybe HG finally conceded to allow the rest of Macross liscences to be released in the US so long as they get to slap their name on it. If so then this could be a precursor to a possible release of Yamatos here stateside, I seriously doubt that, but we will see. Another good possibility is that they are try to press the bounds and if they press to hard they will break international copyright laws and if we're lucky may shut them down forever. *laughs maniacally* I won't even comment on the horrid things that might be on the other end of the spectrum.

*Scratches Head* How in the worlds did this happen? HG doesn't have the DYRL liscence, are they just try to push the bounds or did they reach some kind of deal with Big West? I see this as either being a very good or very bad thing. Maybe HG finally conceded to allow the rest of Macross liscences to be released in the US so long as they get to slap their name on it. If so then this could be a precursor to a possible release of Yamatos here stateside, I seriously doubt that, but we will see. Another good possibility is that they are try to press the bounds and if they press to hard they will break international copyright laws and if we're lucky may shut them down forever. *laughs maniacally* I won't even comment on the horrid things that might be on the other end of the spectrum.

More than likely they're just trying to see what they can get away with... But I don't know. I'd like to think they're not that stupid, but we shall see I suppose.

Vostok 7

Seriously- Any licensing curiosity should be directed to the licensing thread where this issue was first posted.

Any discussions about how crappy these repaints are going to look should stay right here.

:D

I disagree. This is something that is import to all Macross fans outside of Japan. This deserves alot of attention. If anything, it belongs in the Toys forum, because these are Macross DYRL? toys.

didn't Tatsunoko do a bunch of work on DYRL? if anything, i bet it has something to do with that. after all, HG and Tatsunoko are best buds these days - Tatsunoko is helping HG make RT 4 and HG is helping Tatsunoko with Mospeada 2. ;)

also, don't you think it's a little silly for any of us here to say "HG does not have ____ rights", etc. when none of us are privy to that information? sit back, and enjoy the ride before the market gets oversaturated and we are once again forced to pay $500 for a mint Joons on eBay.

.: dru's 2 :.

I just started a thread at AnimeOnDvd-forum about this pre-order announcement.

I'm hoping that since most US/region-1 company-reps regularly visits and posts in AOD-forum that this particular issue may get escalated throughout and that we'll hopefully have more answers on what's going on with the DYRL-license.

I don't see what the travesty is.

The Japanese companies couldn't market their products in the U.S. before. Still Can't.

Harmoney Gold can't market its products (Macross Saga) in Japan before. Still Can't.

I can still get any Japanese product I want via mail order, DYRL or not.

The only change I see is that there are a few more options on the market.

Unless anyone seriously thought there was going to come a time when Japanese and American companies competed in the same market for Macross products...and no one here seriously thought that, did they? I can see that this would put a damper on any such vain hopes.

I've just got off the phone with Toynami and they indicated that these "DYRL" figures will be officially announced at ToyFare 2004. Looks like RT.COM got the scoop before the show... I guess lagging behind year after year on RT news makes RT.COM look bad in the eyes of fans and they are finally getting with the program.

Additionally, I hear (NOT CONFIRMED) that these DYRL figures are going to be available to retailers, released in Summer 2004. The original Macross Poseables were an HG/RT.COM exclusive and my thoughts were that it was done so to protect Toynami in the event there is some backlash from BW. If these figures are readily available to retailers, this open up a can of worms for Macross DYRL toy imports. :(

-Kevin

Edited by VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM

didn't Tatsunoko do a bunch of work on DYRL? if anything, i bet it has something to do with that.

Yeah their name is on some dyrl animation sheets so they were connected to the animation. I think most of us thought that they were just hired to work on it. Maybe they think they have more rights to it.

or maybe they asked BW for permission :p

The original Macross poseables were the same as the Robotech ones but only that they caried the original names and were boxed in SDF Macross labels though. They didn't use DYRL designs with those. At least from what I remember. Pretty much why they didn't sell since they were selling the same thing for a lot less under the Robotech label. At least the price is decent with this.

But like I said in the legal thread. Wouldn't this open the door for Big West to release Macross products now. This would do away with HG trying to say it would confuse the market since this is clearly labeled Macros: DYRL? with the designs and everything, including strike cannon. That throws away the 20% rule doesn't it saying it would confuse buyers. If Big West owns the designs doesn't that mean they could very well released their very own version of the toys now or least further Macross products?

I thought only the name of someone working at Tatsunko(the president) was in the credits for DYRL?. Was the name of the company actually in the credits?

Edited by Effect

Maybe HG finally conceded to allow the rest of Macross liscences to be released in the US so long as they get to slap their name on it. If so then this could be a precursor to a possible release of Yamatos here stateside, I seriously doubt that, but we will see.

It seems HG was always willing to have other Macross stuff come in, provided they got their name on it and received royalties. That's what they tried to do with M7 Trash and also apparently with the Toycom M+ Valks. So they may have conceded something, but it wasn't that.

I don't read the above pinned topic, but my gut answer to your assumption/question is no. I'm guessing they did their legal homework, and nothing at least as glaringly obvious as your loophole would have gotten past 'em.

Not to say I understand this whole thing, or that I deem it legal in the international marketing rights areana...I leave that to others (not necessarily on this board).

edit - Damn, didn't type fast enough. This is in response to Effect's post.

Edited by Phyrox

We all believed the HG had access to the animation from Macross TV and BW had access to the designs. Maybe HG is thinking DYRL? has an animated VF-1 and we have animation of a VF-1 in Macross TV so we get to use the DYRL? version as well.

Were any these people part of Tatsunoko?

=========================================

Major credits of DYRL according to anime.net/macross

Staff

Project Planning: Yoshimasa Ohnishi, Kenji Yoshida

Story Concept: Studio Nue with cooperation by Artland

Director: Noboru Ishiguro, Shoji Kawamori

Story Supervisor: Shoji Kawamori

Script: Sukehiro Tomita

Character Design: Haruhiko Mikimoto

Production Design/Mechanical Design: Kazutaka Miyatake

Music: Kentaroh Haneda

Production Directors: Haruhiko Mikimoto, Ichiroh Itano, Toshihiro Hirano

Director of Photographhy: Kazunori Hashimoto

Producers: Akira Inoue, Hiroshi Iwata, Tsuneyuki Enomoto

Presented by: Big West, MBS, Shogakukan

================================================

In celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the classic 1984 anime motion picture "MACROSS: Do You Remember Love?" Harmony Gold and Toynami are proud to announce the release of this first special edition series of Super-Poseable figures featuring designs of the VF-1 Super Valkyrie Battroids seen in the movie.

Dude, they said "Battroids"! No "L"!

...Though, for that matter, they also said "Kakizaki" and "Hikaru"... Trippy.

Edited by tetsujin

We all believed the HG had access to the animation from Macross TV and BW had access to the designs. Maybe HG is thinking DYRL? has an animated VF-1 and we have animation of a VF-1 in Macross TV so we get to use the DYRL? version as well.

The problem is that rights to the designs have pretty clearly been distinguished from rights to the animation. HG's rights to the designs, such as they are, derives from the Big West/Tatsunoko memorandum which gave TP the overseas merchandising rights for...something. If there hasn't been a settlement, then HG is basically asserting that "something" includes "all toys based on Macross and its derivatives". As others have noted, the Strike Cannon is in no way part of SDF Macross.

:blink:

I personally don't know what to think of this...

On one hand we have the rampant speculation of a R1 DYRL release and on the other we have HG bumfunking BW...

My opinion of this matter is that HG is just dusting off those molds and giving them one last run through to line their wallets a bit more with grey area material... and on the flip side of the coin what is now preventing them from making DYRL anniversary edition MPC toys?... or DYRL anniversary edition SD toys?

:unsure:

:ph34r:

WTF?!!!?!

WTF!indeed :ph34r::blink::ph34r::blink::ph34r::huh::( !

How on Earth can HG do this ? this goes against all previous assumptions from every single person that knows about all the license debate thingy :o

This gotta produce some sort of reaction from BW and SN , if not say goodbye to any chance we thought we had of seeing any macross product outside japan.

Next thing we´ll see : Robotech Plus

I feel terribly unconfortable as I look at this sh$t and realise I can´t do anything to understand WTF is happening. Seeing as they´re un-rightfully using DYRL material.

To my knowledge Tatsunoko has not a single freaking thing to do with DYRL or it´s material , or are they gonna say they can just use it cause it´s based on the TV series ? you gotta be kidding me.

HG has definitively crossed the line here and has entered unauthorised soil , I think we´re experiencing the beggining of the end here , either in favour of Macross or HG , but that time when the two sides will collide head to head is finally arriving IMO.