Valkyrie's first completed scratchbuild

Valkyrie

A few hours ago, I was out shoveling the driveway. At midnight. I had put it off a bit too long.

Somewhere during that process, I got to thinking "Hey, this is really good snow. I should do something with it."

Not long after that, I got to thinking "Ya know, it's been far too long since I did something wacky." (anyone remember my ice Tread Armo-Fighter? :lol: )

So anyway, I decided to try sculpting something out of snow. Both for fun, and to finally put my sculpting skills (or lack thereof) to the test. As much as I want to scratch-build stuff, I've never really tried diving in and doing something like this.

After a bit of contemplating, I settled on a VF-1S head. A bit of a lofty goal, since it is a rather difficult shape to get right. But I wasn't about to be a perfectionist in this project.

So, arming myself with a few crude sculpting tools (a 12" steel ruler ended up doing most of the work), a hastily assembled Hasegawa VF-1S battroid head, and a Hase fighter mode S head, still on the sprues, I went out into the back yard to see what I could accomplish.

I've got a few progress pics, but I won't bore you with them (unless you actually want to see them). Here's what I ended up with, two hours later.

snow10.JPG

snow06.JPG

snow03.JPG

snow04.JPG

snow07.JPG

snow08.JPG

snow09.JPG

Conclusions:

- It seems I might have some degree of sculpting talent after all! :blink::ph34r:

- The VF-1S head is just about the hardest thing on earth to sculpt accurately.

- Snow is an excelent sculpting medium.

- Drinking straws make rather unconvincing head lasers. But they'll work in a pinch, provided you cover any red stripes on them with white spraypaint.

I for one remember the ice Tread Armo-Fighter. Do you think I could forget? So when do we get to see the rest of your arctic camo custom VF-1S? You are off to a great START. LOL!!!

Carl

P.S. Any reason why this work of art doesn't deserve to be in the FRONT yard? Or did you use up all the snow there making the headless VF-1S body? ;)

Thanks guys :)

It's about 12" wide, 14" long, and 13" tall (not including the straws). That makes it about 1/2.5 scale :)

If I ever do this sort of thing again, I'll go for full scale :D

And Carl, I would have put it in the front yard, but I'm sure it would have gotten trashed by all the kids walking past it on thier way to school this morning :angry:

And Carl, I would have put it in the front yard, but I'm sure it would have gotten trashed by all the kids walking past it on thier way to school this morning :angry:

That's why, next time, you need to also do a scale gunpod with it...

Fully functional, of course. That'll show those darn kids... :p

Also, if there are any other Macross fans in the area, putting it in the front yard might cause some accidents on the way to work - "Whoa! Holy crap, is that a -1S head?" *turns back to road for a sec* "Ahh!" *car goes into a ditch* "Oh well, looks like I'll be here a while..." *walks over to -1S snow scuplture*

:lol: