The GTC Legacy Project

Shawn

14 hours ago, Shawn said:

Surprise Us! Can't wait to see! :)

Well I’ll tell ya now, I updated the store last night and will continue in the next two days, we’ve got some auctions up for second chances and some up for other series. I’ll be introducing more “unique” lots very soon. 

Anyone possible remember/know which magazine this came from? Its a pic of the original Imai molds (top half)
That is a Monster in the center..

Yamato GBP was out...Fronteir F...Yamato Weathering
Dengeki or HJ?

image.png.8e8378688da2128ab1c4ddd2ba08d34a.png

On 7/22/2023 at 11:18 PM, Shawn said:

Thanks! They’re doing very well! We’re gonna make some of these regular purchasable specials, everyone seems to like em a whole bunch! 

17 hours ago, WiseGuyVic said:

Thanks! They’re doing very well! We’re gonna make some of these regular purchasable specials, everyone seems to like em a whole bunch! 

I might be looking into buying some of those, now that I finally got stuff taken care of and my ship came in!!! :D

I was trying to promote this to Hobby Japan to do an interest article, it is quite hard talking to people now that emails are shunned and social media is the method for conversation.

Did this little montage pic from some of the videos, which just reminds me how insane this project is! :)

100k_models.png

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

I was trying to promote this to Hobby Japan to do an interest article, it is quite hard talking to people now that emails are shunned and social media is the method for conversation.

Did this little montage pic from some of the videos, which just reminds me how insane this project is! :)

100k_models.png

Maybe reach out to Bandai. They could be  interested in using this for future promotion of future benchmark dates. Great historical recollections.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 6:44 AM, Shawn said:

Hey Shawn, I'm new here. Did you have any luck with contacting Hobby Japan? I do occasional translation work for Hobby Japan. Not the magazine division, but their models division. I do assembly instruction translations for a friend I have there. So I sort-of have a connection there. As you might know, they have a mook series called Hobby Japan Vintage, which comes out about 3x a year. I would think that an article on this massive find might interest them. 

Hi @SteveTheFish, and welcome to the forums.

I have had ZERO luck contacting them via their contact page, I'm sure I'm being screened as spam or just being in the wrong language.

I have every issue of HJ Vintage! Its my favorite current magazine, as my brain never left the 80's/90s'
If you have ANY possible contact to get through please please engage with them.

I know there are model crazies like me in Japan who love seeing 40 year old shipping cases from Imai. Just need to break through the contact barrier.

If they would like to do a interest article on it Anthony and Vic will surely love to do what is possible to make it happen.
Let us know if you are able to get through the hurdle!

Shawn

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Hi @SteveTheFish, and welcome to the forums.

I have had ZERO luck contacting them via their contact page, I'm sure I'm being screened as spam or just being in the wrong language.

I have every issue of HJ Vintage! Its my favorite current magazine, as my brain never left the 80's/90s'
If you have ANY possible contact to get through please please engage with them.

I know there are model crazies like me in Japan who love seeing 40 year old shipping cases from Imai. Just need to break through the contact barrier.

If they would like to do a interest article on it Anthony and Vic will surely love to do what is possible to make it happen.
Let us know if you are able to get through the hurdle!

Shawn

Alright! I just sent an email to my friend Takahashi. We used to work together at Aoshima during the brief, 8-month stint I worked there. Model Graphix magazine did a several page article on him just before he quit. He is a big Macross and Yamato fan like myself, and I already showed him the article you did on the massive discovery of Showa-era anime plamo treasure. I'll see what he says. While he does not deal with the magazine division, he may know someone to get in contact with. I agree that it would make a wonderful article.

I think perhaps I may be able to facilitate somehow if nobody in the magazine end of the company handles English. We'll see. All I do is translate Japanese into English, but I am not as good at the other direction. We'll see.

Yeah, Vintage is sure fun. I have the Imai Meets Macross issue, the Super Dimensional series issue, the Artmic issue, and I just recently bought the Votoms issue. I think that Vintage would be especially interested in doing an article on the Wise Guys find. I'd think that such a find would be rare for Japan too. Even here these kits are HTF and demand high prices. I have never see in the wild kits like Arii's Monster, Imai's Zentraedi Recon Ship, Arii's Glaug, etc. 

I'm not home at the moment, but I have an older Yamato modeling book (by Hobby Japan, IIRC) which detailed the Starblazers reboxing of plamo kits back in the '80s. I'm sure Japanese readers would find it interesting to see how Imai's Mospeada kits were marketed under the Go Bots name, which is actually known as Machine Robo in Japan.

Edited by SteveTheFish
added crap

Sorry for the double post. I heard back from my friend. He has no contact at all with the magazine department. He suggested I just try reaching out to the magazine's PR department. I'll take a look when I get home in an hour or so from now. Could you send me links to where you had tried to contact the company? If you only wrote in English, then I may have luck by describing the situation in Japanese. Perhaps it might help by mentioning that I already do translations for their model department a few times a year and that I could help with an article. 

I'm also really tempted to visit the All-Japan Model Hobby Show coming up in September. I used to cover this event for my YouTube channel as well as submitting photos to FineScale Magazine as a guest contributor. I haven't gone since 2018. Then my wife was hit by a car the next year, and then the whole Covid thing happened. Now that there are no more masking directives, I was thinking about going. If so, I can talk to somebody in-person from HJ. My friend works their plamo booth. If I go on press day, I have a better chance to talk with people without the crowds in the way. For now, I'll try contacting them via the website. Did you find an email? 

I'm excited if I can help out in any way I can. 

Yes, on there is the link that says 採用に関する問い合わせ and it's that form I used to contact HJ last night. I received notice that my message was received. Let's wait to see if they respond.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 4:27 PM, Shawn said:

Got my shipment in!

Thank you @WiseGuyVic and Anthony!

Come to SDCon this year in Torrance and pick up an Imai 1/20 Gunpod and help support the site! (all sales profits fund the server costs each year)

Shawn

macross1.jpg

macross2.jpg

macross3.jpg

macross4.jpg

Glad to see everything got there safely! We'd love to be at SDCon but we've got our hands full with some local stuff happening real soon! 

Well nuts. So I did attend the trade show on Friday, but every time I was in the Hobby Japan booth, I was talking with my friend whom I do occasional translation work for and the guys who handle the publications always scattered out of our way and talked to other customers instead. I didn't have a chance to talk to them. I suck.

• 4 weeks later...

Macross models weren’t the easiest thing for me to find as a kid, but I used to have dreams about going to a store and finding piles of brand new kits to choose from. Then I’d wake up and my reality was that I might find an Arii kit singular at the local hobby shop and I’d be lucky if it was one I didn’t have already. I had better luck at the swap meet sometimes though, but still mostly Arii and usually just the Valkyrie kits

@Big s That reminds me of scouring the swap meet as a kid for anything Macross related! Although back then I only knew it as ********.

My only exposure to the kits was seeing the revell branded versions at my local drug store. I would buy them with my aluminum can money and use krazy glue to put them together. The canopies and clear parts would get all hazed from the glue. I never painted them either. Even though the result was pretty crappy looking, I have fond memories of building and playing with these early valk kits.

As far as the pics that @Shawn just posted, those are rookie numbers that kid has stacked there! My backlog is scary big!

2 minutes ago, Gabe Q said:

My only exposure to the kits was seeing the revell branded versions at my local drug store. I would buy them with my aluminum can money and use krazy glue to put them together. The canopies and clear parts would get all hazed from the glue. I never painted them either. Even though the result was pretty crappy looking, I have fond memories of building and playing with these early valk kits.

I used to do the can thing too. Most of my early kits were also built the same way. Used zap a gap a lot. I remember a kit that came with a glue tube and used it on a small scale Cobra helicopter kit that was probably 1/72 scale. I remember using way too much glue on some parts and over the next few hours the ordinance was turning to goo. 
I found a few Revell and testers kits, but not many. I had a local hobby shop that got some oddball anime kits, but at the time I hadn’t seen a majority of the shows they were from. They rarely got the Imai kits, but a few Arii Macross kits every now and then. It was back in the old days before the internet, so my best luck was at the swap meet.

13 hours ago, Big s said:

I used to do the can thing too. Most of my early kits were also built the same way. Used zap a gap a lot. I remember a kit that came with a glue tube and used it on a small scale Cobra helicopter kit that was probably 1/72 scale. I remember using way too much glue on some parts and over the next few hours the ordinance was turning to goo. 
I found a few Revell and testers kits, but not many. I had a local hobby shop that got some oddball anime kits, but at the time I hadn’t seen a majority of the shows they were from. They rarely got the Imai kits, but a few Arii Macross kits every now and then. It was back in the old days before the internet, so my best luck was at the swap meet.

I remember in the original Revell instructions for Axoid, Orbot and Vexar, the battroid version cockpits had a polycap that you had to install for the leg bar. The instructions said to put it in with the nub on it pointing sideways, like so:

AxoidInstructionsheetproofIdidntmessup2.jpg.21e662d430925ed0743937f73c230949.jpg

But in the Macross version, it showed the correct way to put in in:

AxoidInstructionsheetproofIdidntmessup3.jpg.96cdb306d2e71774830d629dea2853e8.jpg

Everyone I knew back then swore I "did it wrong", and still insist I did even when I showed them these pics.

And they wonder why I don't talk to them anymore?  Sheesh. >_>

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I remember in the original Revell instructions for Axoid, Orbot and Vexar, the battroid version cockpits had a polycap that you had to install for the leg bar. The instructions said to put it in with the nub on it pointing sideways, like so:

AxoidInstructionsheetproofIdidntmessup2.jpg.21e662d430925ed0743937f73c230949.jpg

But in the Macross version, it showed the correct way to put in in:

AxoidInstructionsheetproofIdidntmessup3.jpg.96cdb306d2e71774830d629dea2853e8.jpg

Everyone I knew back then swore I "did it wrong", and still insist I did even when I showed them these pics.

And they wonder why I don't talk to them anymore?  Sheesh. >_>

Back when I built that, I think it slipped in wrong according to the instructions, but it held anyway, so I just moved on. I didn’t have many friends that were into kit building. They either were into sorts teams or had a lot more cash than I did and were buying video games. I had a few friends into battletech minis though and that’s where most of our arguments came from. That was that they believed Robotech ripped off Battletech. It was before the age of the internet, so getting info to back up your side the argument was a losing battle to a small group that believed they were right even though they were wrong. I never did get an apology later though

• 3 months later...