BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

Is it me or did anybody think that Boomer (on caprica) is pregnant? I mean she did throw up and such.

I noticed that too and was wondering how well the cylons could replicate human systems. If they can build a human to the point that a cylon could get pregnant, wouldn't that also make them humans? Or, is it another plot for Caprica Boomer to pull in her luckless buddy to following her until they both get killed? Maybe it we'll have some crazy birthing scene like "V" back in the day and the kid will come out with a human torso, one red eye, and robotic arms and legs.

I think she IS Preggers, wasnt that her whole mission? She did get the light up spine thing, I think that Cylons of that type get it when they "get off"

Twich

Geez... too bad six wasn't in reverse cowboy when she was doing Baltar. Then Baltar would have the perfect Cylon detector... for women that is. But then he'd have to do the all the cuties and the fugs.

Like Baltar said at the end, "I was....I AM a tool of God" and why would the Cylons have a facination with God or Gods? If they curse Humans for being weak, and want to destroy them, why would they create a human form? Why would they take up Human culture? It's just odd to me that a Machine who hates its creator would strive so much to better him and yet LOOK like him in every way.

Seems to me that something happened to the Cylons while they were in their forty years sabbatical. (Forty is a significant number in the bible.) While the humans are following Greco-Roman religion.

You touched on something that I subconciously realized, is this going to be Christian/Catholic worshipers(Cylons) vs. those of the grecko following?

While I dont want to get into a religious debate, I think that BattleStar Galactica does have this common thread throughout its story.

Twich

A couple of thoughts on the human body and explosive decompression:
The question is, what happens to the human body in a vacuum?

Nope, the body won't blow up. Your blood won't boil, either.

There are a number of things about being in space, in a vacuum, which could cause harm to the human body. You wouldn't want to hold your breath. This would cause lung damage. You would probably remain conscious for several seconds, until the blood without oxygen reaches your brain.

It would be pretty darn cold, but the human body doesn't lose heat that fast, so you'd have a little time before you froze to death. It's possible you could have some problems with your eardrums, including a rupture, but maybe not. It would be worse if you had a cold, and were stuffy headed, with no way for the pressure to equalize.

You could get a bad sunburn, and you might actually swell some, but not to Arnold Schwarzenegger, "Total Recall" proportions. The "bends" are also possible, just like a diver who surfaces too quickly.

While your own normal blood pressure will keep your blood from boiling, the saliva in your mouth could very well begin to do so. In 1965, while performing tests at the NASA facility now known as Johnson Space Center a subject was accidentally exposed to a near vacuum (less than 1 psi) when his space suit leaked while in a vacuum chamber. He did not pass out for about 14 seconds, by which time unoxygenated blood had reached his brain. Technicians began to repressurize the chamber within 15 seconds and he regained consciousness at around the equivalent of 15,000 feet of altitude. He later said that his last conscious memory was of the water on his tongue beginning to boil.

The human body is amazingly resilient. The worst problem would be lack of oxygen, not lack of pressure in the vacuum. If returned to a normal atmosphere fairly quickly, you would survive with few if any irreversible injuries.

There have actually been cases of parts of astronauts bodies being exposed to vacuum, when suits were damaged. The results were negligible.

So a more realistic depiction of decompression would be what happened to Tim Robbins in Mission to Mars, as opposed to Arnold's eyes popping out of his head like a fiddler crab. :lol:

I had to admit that scene in Mission to Mars was pretty damn graphic and looked fairly believable with his head freezing instantly.

There are a number of things about being in space, in a vacuum, which could cause harm to the human body. You wouldn't want to hold your breath. This would cause lung damage. You would probably remain conscious for several seconds, until the blood without oxygen reaches your brain.

It would be pretty darn cold, but the human body doesn't lose heat that fast, so you'd have a little time before you froze to death. It's possible you could have some problems with your eardrums, including a rupture, but maybe not. It would be worse if you had a cold, and were stuffy headed, with no way for the pressure to equalize.

You could get a bad sunburn, and you might actually swell some, but not to Arnold Schwarzenegger, "Total Recall" proportions. The "bends" are also possible, just like a diver who surfaces too quickly.

While your own normal blood pressure will keep your blood from boiling, the saliva in your mouth could very well begin to do so. In 1965, while performing tests at the NASA facility now known as Johnson Space Center a subject was accidentally exposed to a near vacuum (less than 1 psi) when his space suit leaked while in a vacuum chamber. He did not pass out for about 14 seconds, by which time unoxygenated blood had reached his brain. Technicians began to repressurize the chamber within 15 seconds and he regained consciousness at around the equivalent of 15,000 feet of altitude. He later said that his last conscious memory was of the water on his tongue beginning to boil.

The human body is amazingly resilient. The worst problem would be lack of oxygen, not lack of pressure in the vacuum. If returned to a normal atmosphere fairly quickly, you would survive with few if any irreversible injuries.

There have actually been cases of parts of astronauts bodies being exposed to vacuum, when suits were damaged. The results were negligible.

So a more realistic depiction of decompression would be what happened to Tim Robbins in Mission to Mars, as opposed to Arnold's eyes popping out of his head like a fiddler crab. :lol:

I had to admit that scene in Mission to Mars was pretty damn graphic and looked fairly believable with his head freezing instantly.

Actually that scene was complete Garbage, he wouldn't flash freeze like that, not even Martian orbit. All the fluid in his body would rapidly evaporate/boil though due to the pressure drop leaving a quickly desicating corpse. And, the ddeath would be far from instananeous, in fact from decompression studies he would probably live for up to a minute, in extreme agony. Personnally, I would have rather burned up.

Actually that scene was complete Garbage, he wouldn't flash freeze like that, not even Martian orbit. All the fluid in his body would rapidly evaporate/boil though due to the pressure drop leaving a quickly desicating corpse. And, the ddeath would be far from instananeous, in fact from decompression studies he would probably live for up to a minute, in extreme agony. Personnally, I would have rather burned up.

The subject of blood boiling in your body has come up on more than one occasion on many a site dealing with anime or science-fiction related shows where some poor schlub has an accident. I put those facts (real or otherwise is up to you) up there as I had gotten them from a few space-science related webpages. The one site had links to articles and scientists who wrote books on the subject, so I figured they would be pretty accurate as science goes. Please don't shoot the messenger as I got this stuff elsewhere. I didn't write it.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

I played atleast a mission of the game, and while the Opening FMV was fantastic! I thought the game play was kind of butched...its really difficult to move ahead and blow up Cylons and when you hit something you don't explode you just.....hit something......gah......I'll just keep trying.

Anyone know what the picture of the dark figure is on the wall of the ready room?  If I am reading the screen cap right it says "Lest we forget" on the bottom of it.
Ron Moore on the picture in the pilot's briefing room:

There was a scene cut from "33" where we saw Laura being given her copy of the photo along with a card that said it was taken on the roof of the capitol building on Aerilon during the attack. The photo was inspired by the famous shot of the fire-fighters raising the flag at Ground Zero that became iconic. I thought the Colonies would have their own version of this -- a snapshot taken in the moment that becomes a symbol of the day they can never forget and of all they had lost. The photo itself is of a soldier falling to his knees (possibly shot or simply overcome by emotion) as he stands on the rooftop over looking the devastation of his city, while the Colonial flag waves at the edge of frame. The inscription below the photo on Laura's plaque reads, "Lest We Forget" in itself a reference to the inscription on the watch presented to John Wayne's character in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

Actually, how many Vipers and pilots do they have left by now? I remember early on in the series(?) they gave a number and it was pretty small. So is there like 20 or 40 left to defend the whole fleet? Attrition is gonna be a problem since as far as I can figure, the Vipers, old and new ones, are irreplaceable. Heck, pilots are a dime a dozen compared to the Vipers, where are they gonna get replacements?

And have they given a number on how many Mk. 7's they have? You see only a glimpse of them now and then. Since a few survived, you'd think Apollo and or Starbuck would be flying in them.(Apollo in particular, he seemed to be pissed about having to fly the Mk.2)

That's one thing I'd like to see, a few cool background pilots, that don't get killed off so easily. Like Max and Kakizaki or Wedge and Biggs.

Actually, how many Vipers and pilots do they have left by now? I remember early on in the series(?) they gave a number and it was pretty small. So is there like 20 or 40 left to defend the whole fleet? Attrition is gonna be a problem since as far as I can figure, the Vipers, old and new ones, are irreplaceable. Heck, pilots are a dime a dozen compared to the Vipers, where are they gonna get replacements?

And have they given a number on how many Mk. 7's they have? You see only a glimpse of them now and then. Since a few survived, you'd think Apollo and or Starbuck would be flying in them.(Apollo in particular, he seemed to be pissed about having to fly the Mk.2)

That's one thing I'd like to see, a few cool background pilots, that don't get killed off so easily. Like Max and Kakizaki or Wedge and Biggs.

If you go to the official site and click on ships>viper>CAG roster it'll tell you they have 12 vipers on duty, 23 down for repair, 31 active pilots, and 5 trainees as of episode 110(the most recent). I guess the keep a running tally which is pertty durn cool.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/episodes/season01/110/

Actually,  how many Vipers and pilots do they have left by now? I remember early on in the series(?) they gave a number and it was pretty small. So is there like 20 or 40 left to defend the whole fleet?  Attrition is gonna be a problem since as far as I can figure, the Vipers, old and new ones, are irreplaceable. Heck, pilots are a dime a dozen compared to the Vipers, where are they gonna get replacements?

Sci Fi's website has a section under the Ships Gallery for a "CAG's Roster" which is updated every so often, corresponding to the eps featuring the viper's lost or damaged.

After Ep 10, they are down to:

Vipers in Service: 12

Down for repairs : 23 (many, including Apollo's MK VII were messed up looking for Kara in Ep. 5 flying in that gook atmosphere)

Pilots on Duty: 21

Trainees: 5

They had 39 Vipers left in Ep 5 total. So...they lost 4 in Ep 10(only 4?). They never said how many actual MKVII's were left aboard, only that one squadron (20 in their world according to some sites) of MKII's from the mini series that were in the museum.

I suppose Hot Dog and Kat will be the "background pilots" for now.

Hey, Chuckles was Kakizaki!! Too bad we didn't get to see a couple more glimpses of him before he bought the farm, other than Ep 4.

:lol:

EDIT: Opus, you beat me to it!:p

Edited by Gaijin

The most MK VII's I've seen on screen at one time was 5. That was during the "combat Landing" footage used in episode "33". Since we hardly ever see the Mk VII any more and we haven't "seen" any get fragged I guess that's around the number they have. That sci-fi ships site says that without the computer controlled/enhanced flight computers the MK VII's are a real chore to fly and that only the most expierienced pilots would be able to handle them. Maybe they don't want to risk losing any more pilots to flight accidents with the difficult Mk VII when they still have user friendly Mk II's around. Or the VII's are a hot commodity and they don't want to risk them unless they have to...OR they are just too complex and require too much maintanence from the supply starved fleet and are just "down" due to lack of parts.?

Chris

Actually,  how many Vipers and pilots do they have left by now? I remember early on in the series(?) they gave a number and it was pretty small. So is there like 20 or 40 left to defend the whole fleet?  Attrition is gonna be a problem since as far as I can figure, the Vipers, old and new ones, are irreplaceable. Heck, pilots are a dime a dozen compared to the Vipers, where are they gonna get replacements?

If you go to the official site and click on ships>viper>CAG roster it'll tell you they have 12 vipers on duty, 23 down for repair, 31 active pilots, and 5 trainees as of episode 110(the most recent). I guess the keep a running tally which is pertty durn cool.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/episodes/season01/110/

thats frackin cool that they are keeping that up. I'm guessing they will have to have an episode when they get a way to get more ships/parts.

Arent they able to manufacture their own ships? One of the ships on the website, if you click on it says that it is able to make more vipers and spare parts for vipers. So as long as they have the raw materials, they are all set for vipers, it is just pilots that they need.

Twich

I thought the MK7's would be vunerable to hacking like in the pilot episodes? I really don't recall seeing them ever again after the pilot....but hey I found a place to download the first season so I'll check it out again!

Guest Bromgrev

Erm ... Biggs? :blink:

I thought the MK7's would be vunerable to hacking like in the pilot episodes? I really don't recall seeing them ever again after the pilot....but hey I found a place to download the first season so I'll check it out again!

They were, but Boomer stated that the only ships haveing any success against the Cylons were either old or in need of repair/upgrade. Lt. Gaeta (spelling) later told Dr. Baltar that they would purge the CMP program from the remaining MK VII's so they wouldn't be vulnerable anymore.

Apollo was flying a Mk VII in "33" when he destroyed the Olympic Carrier. You see a few in the opening scene of the same episode when the Vipers are racing out to intercept the Cylons as the fleet is jumping away. Then the 5 that I counted when they land....although that was stock footage from the combat landings at the end of the Mini. Finally, you see 3 or 4, can't remember, including the one Apollo is flying when he orders the rest of the squadron to land and get some sleep after the Cylons didn't show up after 33 minutes + an hour or two, in "33".

Just really like the Mk VII design, it grew on me! I wish they'd show more of it, like a launch sequence or something.

Chris

I think the biggest problem with showing more of the Mark VII is that they only built it from the cockpit forward, everything after the rear cockpit bulkhead is put in using CG. Whereas I believe they have three or four, maybe more, full scale Mk-II mock ups for hanger shots. That is why whenever you see the Mk VII in the hanger you only just see the nose sticking out of the revetment it is parked in.

Arent they able to manufacture their own ships? One of the ships on the website, if you click on it says that it is able to make more vipers and spare parts for vipers. So as long as they have the raw materials, they are all set for vipers, it is just pilots that they need.

Twich

I havent seen that, and can't find it now...it would be cool if they could. Which ship am I missing?

Its the ship right below the Galatica on the Scale Ship section. "Mobile Space Dock Platform" Otherwise called a Flatop it's used to repair anythin from a colonial ship to vipers. If anything is damaged beyond repair they'll take the scrap and use it for spare parts I believe.

However there isn't much info on the ship as its deemed classified. But supposively the Flattop is complaining of lack of materials to continue repairs.

OMG, you dont know Biggs?

Biggs was Luke's best friend. Biggs grew up on Tantooine but left for the Imperial Academy but later defected to the Rebel Alliance. He was the pilot holding off Vader in the Trench run and died doing so. Other pilots in the SW ep4 were Tiree, Dutch, and Porkins (fat guy in the Xwing thought he can control it after getting hit but crashed and burned).

Damn it... I am a SW geek. :angry:

I think the biggest problem with showing more of the Mark VII is that they only built it from the cockpit forward, everything after the rear cockpit bulkhead is put in using CG. Whereas I believe they have three or four, maybe more, full scale Mk-II mock ups for hanger shots. That is why whenever you see the Mk VII in the hanger you only just see the nose sticking out of the revetment it is parked in.

There is one full scale mock up of the MK VII, and 2 mock ups of the MK II, according to the Series lowdown that aired before the series.

Biggs was Luke's best friend. Biggs grew up on Tantooine but left for the Imperial Academy but later defected to the Rebel Alliance. He was the pilot holding off Vader in the Trench run and died doing so. Other pilots in the SW ep4 were Tiree, Dutch, and Porkins (fat guy in the Xwing thought he can control it after getting hit but crashed and burned).

I think he was referring to the fact that Biggs was killed and the original statement said "surviving" pilots! :p

Yeah, there are 2 full scale Mk II's and 1 full scale Mk VII. I would just like to see a shot of it launching down the tube, and a good combat sequence show what this mother can do.......when it's not shut-off of course! B))....Like possibly Apollo and Starbuck both flying the VII's and just ripping up a whole flight of raiders!

Chris

Did anyone else think that Starbuck was a bit out of line in the past episode?

coments about previous episode.

She tells Lee...her friend and superior... not to "frack-up" before his mission. She pretty much tells Lee she has no faith in his abilities. Not exactly the best thing to say to ANYBODY before they are about to go into a extremely dangerous situation much less your friend......I mean GOD....she got pissed at him when he said be careful before a mission instead of good hunting! Then she had the nerve to pretty much say it again to the Commander. At least he flung it back at her though. I like Starbuck too, just thought she was being a bit of a bitch was all....at least more than usual :p

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Guest Bromgrev

I think he was referring to the fact that Biggs was killed and the original statement said "surviving" pilots! :p

Chris

Yup. Good old Biggs Darklighter. Never did like that moustache. ;)

I like to believe that the reason he flew a MK. II on Friday was not only as an example but as a good officer and leader. As a Cadet I had this one thing banged into my head "Never ask your men to do something you wouldn't do as well." In this case it means that Apollo as the CAG is going to fly the bird his men are flying.

It could also be a logistics thing for the attack from Friday night, it's easier to arm and outdfitt fighters that are all the sa