Where next?

Biomaster

Where do you think Macross can go next after the second Delta movie hits theaters? What can Shoji Kawamori even tackle in a future story? I mean the entire question why music carries such power has been answered in full thanks to the fold receptor concept tying everything we previously knew, and the Protoculture will almost certainly remain a complete mystery. 

For me personally, I'd like the next protagonists to be complete music haters, for the story to feel far more inclined towards the mecha like how Delta leaned towards the idol side. The music naturally would need to be there, but I'd rather another SDF arrangement, where music becomes important roughly halfway through the series rather than from the start like 7, Frontier and Delta were. Preferably do something like a major "opening up" arc where the protagonist realizes his bullheadedness towards song. Adress the question of the New UN and the growing corruption. If it is in a reasonable timespan, bring back Berger and Epsilon. I want that fella's motivations cleared up beyond the usual "war brings profit" stuff I've seen all too many times in fiction. Like why is he even interested in Protoculture stuff anyways? 

Edited by Biomaster

We've had everyone & thing tied to the Protoculture pop back up, so naturally at some point I think the PC themselves will show.

Sara & Shin disappearing with the AFOS (even if it is now nearly 60 years in the past) could be a gateway to that.

1 hour ago, Biomaster said:

Where do you think Macross can go next after the second Delta movie hits theaters? What can Shoji Kawamori even tackle in a future story?

Trying to guess Kawamori's direction is an exercise in futility... when he's really trying, he comes up with the weirdest sh*t and somehow makes it work.

I mean, c'mon... Macross 7 was "what if an indie band fought soul-sucking space kaiju vampires with the power of rock?".  We've had stories about a retired idol who became a soldier and then an air racer.  We had a stage musical that was a thinly veiled criticism of Japanese rearmament and the government's reassessment of Article 9.  Macross Delta was a shot at rising nationalist sentiments explored through the antics of a middle aged 14 year old teenage runaway idol singer and an aerobatics team.  Let's not forget the one that was literally "save the whales".

He'll come up with something that sounds completely insane on paper and he'll make it work somehow.

1 hour ago, Biomaster said:

If it is in a reasonable timespan, bring back Berger and Epsilon. I want that fella's motivations cleared up beyond the usual "war brings profit" stuff I've seen all too many times in fiction. Like why is he even interested in Protoculture stuff anyways? 

He's an arms dealer.  The ancient Protoculture left a distressing amount of advanced military hardware laying around, some of which was so distressingly powerful that they themselves were afraid to use it.  Not to mention his fascination with the battlefield applications of music, which he has not-unreasonable grounds to suspect might've been their ultimate weapon.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Trying to guess Kawamori's direction is an exercise in futility... (...)

Yes. the only thing that's clear is that the next series will be unlike any previous Macross series.*

* with the 3 pillars of Macross: Valkyries, songs, & a love triangle.

On 6/19/2021 at 9:50 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

He's an arms dealer.  The ancient Protoculture left a distressing amount of advanced military hardware laying around, some of which was so distressingly powerful that they themselves were afraid to use it.  Not to mention his fascination with the battlefield applications of music, which he has not-unreasonable grounds to suspect might've been their ultimate weapon.

For an dvanced race, the protoclture seemed a bit...careless...

7 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

For an dvanced race, the protoclture seemed a bit...careless...

It's common in sci-fi amusingly. TVTropes calls this the 'Neglectful Precursors' phenomena. They weren't necessarily bad people, but they had their own issues and when they ended up leaving this plane or died out they just left all their crap behind to be someone else's problem.

The Protoculture aren't innocent but they are far from the worst. At least they had the forethought to put some warnings and traps in place for the worst things. They don't compare to the utter neglectful ineptitude of the Ancients from Stargate, who not only have the gall to leave Galaxy destroying devices lying around that are easy to operate and use.. they aren't even technically dead! They are 'Ascended' to energy being and fully aware of everything going on still. They just don't give a crap anymore cause they're jerks.

Edited by Master Dex

I'd say it's a common thread in our real society as well. Just look at all the trash we're leaving for the next generations to deal with, including nuclear waste that will be deadly for thousands of years. I'd say the depiction of a species that is totally aware and controlling of its every aspect is less realistic than one that copies our own inadequacies. Consider, that if the Protoculture had been active in policing their tech and creations to the point that they were not a threat for the modern story, then there would be no modern story.

Edited by Thom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/19/2021 at 9:50 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Trying to guess Kawamori's direction is an exercise in futility... when he's really trying, he comes up with the weirdest sh*t and somehow makes it work.

I mean, c'mon... Macross 7 was "what if an indie band fought soul-sucking space kaiju vampires with the power of rock?".  We've had stories about a retired idol who became a soldier and then an air racer.  We had a stage musical that was a thinly veiled criticism of Japanese rearmament and the government's reassessment of Article 9.  Macross Delta was a shot at rising nationalist sentiments explored through the antics of a middle aged 14 year old teenage runaway idol singer and an aerobatics team.  Let's not forget the one that was literally "save the whales".

He'll come up with something that sounds completely insane on paper and he'll make it work somehow.

I just hope it's not "Milli Vanilli is the ultimate weapon" O.o

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 1:54 AM, seti88 said:

Is tenjin-san still supposedly the heir to kawamori to take over the design of macross? Story and direction wise there should be a candidate as well or not?

Out of everyone I can think of, he'd be the most logical choice and best qualified, IMO.