Official Transformers Alternators and more thread.

Its not crazy - MP Convoy was made as the best representation of a toy that has been made before, and a very well known animation model. Its a collector's piece. Kids can't really be expected to play with it (or at least its not meant for them).

GF Convoy was made from scratch - true, it is a homage to multiple earlier Convoys, but it is still an original design. Coupled with the fact its a mainline mass production toy designed to keep kids as well as collectors happy, I think GF Convoy is the greater achievement.

Afterall, its easier to spend alot of money into designing an intricate collector's piece than to design a toy both children love and older fans approve of.

Sorry if my explanation is hard to understand.

MP Prime is still the ultimate Prime,

GC Prime is at least a decent effort finally though.

I <3 my MPC Prime...and noone can change that. GC Prime looks alot like Star Convoy from the manga series that never got a TV show...and it will be much more playable bc/ it wont be all die cast. Personally, Im about to wet myself for the Starscream tho....War Within was a fantastic comic add I cant wait for that toy.

uhh...i was on hlj earlier and i saw a preorder for a masterpiece ultra magnus...does anyone have any pictures or at least give us some kinda idea of what it might look like?

I doubt Takara is gonna go the extra mile for Magnus' armor. Sigh.....it's too bad because I'll be passing this one up.

Looks like a common repaint to me. :ph34r:

post-26-1104220459_thumb.jpg

I believe someone brought that up a couple pages earlier, but I could be mistaken. As far as I can tell, it's pretty much just a MP Prime painted white. It was shown with all the same accessories as MP Prime. So far its not worth it IMO, at least change the weapons HasTak.

I saw that someone in this tread made a nice looking custom to the blue Tracks which made ot look like the limited edition Vette. Why Hasbro/Takara did not do this I don't know. I was just looking back at that custom sticker page and the guy has made some cool looking "Le Mans" style decals to mimic that look!

alt5_big.jpg

For larger image

Man, I don't know if I should go for the old school flame on the hood Tracks, or this more modern look. Hmmm

This guy ROCKS!!!

http://www.reprolabels.com/alt_labels.html

Edited by SDFcommander

I saw that someone in this thread made a nice looking custom to the blue Tracks which made it look like the limited edition Vette. Why Hasbro/Takara did not do this I don't know. I was just looking back at that custom sticker page and the guy has made some cool looking "Le Mans" style decals to mimic that look!

It doesn't look too bad at all; just not as faithful to the original CE stripes as I expected. It could be a lighting problem, but the gray area should be dark silver. The rear stripes should extend all the way across the trunk where the Corvette emblem overlaps it. The chest stripes are okay, but I feel they're not really necessary.

Nevertheless, Reprolabels did a good job replicating the CE stripes for Tracks. Don't know about the $14.00 price, though (I can order the decal sheet from Revell-Monogram for free + $3.00 S/H).

alt5_big.jpg

Here's mine for a comparison (note that this has been repainted to a darker shade of blue to follow the actual Commemorative Edition color):

tracks11.jpg

tracks03.jpg

Edited by areaseven

I'm crashing

I'm getting the Galaxy Force Convoy and Starscream....they're just too cool although I have reservations of Gundammy Convoy...firetruck with wings...but starscream just SCREAMS of cool.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage..../z_tf_gd_03.jpg

Edited by wolfx

Galaxy Convoy gallery

I'm told by my buddy in Japan is probably the best Convoy toy ever made (that includes MP Convoy).

Meh. He suffers from the same problem almost every Transformers toy outside of the first run of G1 toys and the Alternators. Overdone, cheesy looking sci-fi alt mode.

I mean, as an actual toy, he doesn't look too bad. Decent posability, nifty transformation and all. But he's just ugly. It's cool if the particular asthetic of the toy appeals to you, but I despise it for the same reason I love the Alternators and most of Kawamori's mecha designs. Even many of Kawamori's most futuristic designs look like something that could very well be made at some point in the not so distant future, as opposed to cheap, plastic crap.

I saw that someone in this thread made a nice looking custom to the blue Tracks which made it look like the limited edition Vette. Why Hasbro/Takara did not do this I don't know. I was just looking back at that custom sticker page and the guy has made some cool looking "Le Mans" style decals to mimic that look!

It doesn't look too bad at all; just not as faithful to the original CE stripes as I expected. It could be a lighting problem, but the gray area should be dark silver. The rear stripes should extend all the way across the trunk where the Corvette emblem overlaps it. The chest stripes are okay, but I feel they're not really necessary.

Nevertheless, Reprolabels did a good job replicating the CE stripes for Tracks. Don't know about the $14.00 price, though (I can order the decal sheet from Revell-Monogram for free + $3.00 S/H).

alt5_big.jpg

Here's mine for a comparison (note that this has been repainted to a darker shade of blue to follow the actual Commemorative Edition color):

tracks11.jpg

tracks03.jpg

You're the one! :)

Man, that is one cool Tracks and I can appreciate your attention to detail even more now.

The one question I have always had is how durable are the slide decals? Do you have a special coating you can use to protect them?

Most likely what A7 did was to apply a gloss or flat clear coat. Lots of modelers do this too, to protect their decals.

If he left them bare, then I have no idea how they're going to wear and tear.

BUT! I've found that decals treated with microsol or microset tend to be a bit tougher than those just applied to the surface of a model or toy.

The one question I have always had is how durable are the slide decals? Do you have a special coating you can use to protect them?

I sprayed Testors Ultra Gloss Coat on Tracks to seal the decals with the paint job. So far, the stripes showed no signs of peeling off after at least 10 transformations.

I've finally gotten my Silverstreak. It's a lefty to match the others and thanks to the holiday season, I got to pick the best looking of the five boxes on the Walmart shelves.

Some may think "big deal" but it is to me. Bluestreak/Silverstreak was the first G1 TF I ever got as a kid. High sentimental value there. There were many Autobots I wanted as a kid but couldn't get so the Alternators line has been a godsend for a TF fan like me. Got Smokey, 'Swipe, 'Streak, Hound, and Tracks. Still debating on "Jazz" and I really want Grimmy.

I enjoy my RiD Prime so the GF Prime/Convoy will be great IMO. Now if only they'd create an "Omega Prime" for Galaxy Force, if you catch my drift. ^___^

I was just looking at that yesterday. They had no picture up so I did not know if it was the blue or yellow. I was thinking about taking my chance but today they are all "sold out"  :(

The yellow Tracks is a Japanese model only. All other countries get the blue Tracks.

SWEET! CAn anyone tell me if the Alternater Tracks comes with the Flame sticker for the hood? I know the Binaltech one does.

I was just looking at that yesterday. They had no picture up so I did not know if it was the blue or yellow. I was thinking about taking my chance but today they are all "sold out"  :(

The yellow Tracks is a Japanese model only. All other countries get the blue Tracks.

SWEET! CAn anyone tell me if the Alternater Tracks comes with the Flame sticker for the hood? I know the Binaltech one does.

AFAIK, the sticker only comes with the Binaltech BT-06B Blue Tracks release. It is not included with Hasbro's Alternator blue Tracks or even Takara's initial Binaltech BT-06 Yellow Tracks. If you really want one and don't want to pay the extra money for BT-06B, then you can get a copy of the sticker from Reprolabels. :)

TFW2005's got some Galaxy Force clips going on.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=64465

Does GF Prime ripping open his chest look Guyver-ish to anyone?

Blegh. You're not the only one who sees that Guyver-ism in there, and that annoys the hell out of me. In fact, this whole "show" is an affront to G1 fans everywhere.

It puts the final nail in the coffin of the "how Gundam-y can we make the Transformers?" issue. These designs are total crap, suffering from extreme munchkinism in that the designers decided to throw as much garbage as possible onto these machines. I muchly prefer the simple, clean elegance of the G1 designs.

Blegh. You're not the only one who sees that Guyver-ism in there, and that annoys the hell out of me. In fact, this whole "show" is an affront to G1 fans everywhere.

It puts the final nail in the coffin of the "how Gundam-y can we make the Transformers?" issue. These designs are total crap, suffering from extreme munchkinism in that the designers decided to throw as much garbage as possible onto these machines. I muchly prefer the simple, clean elegance of the G1 designs.

I downloaded the movie, and I agree, it sucks.

Will probably still watch it if it's on and I'm bored, though. Not likely, though, since I only managed to watch Superlink like, what, once or twice. What the f*ck is with that guy who keeps yodelling?? Jesus, try my patience, why don't you.. <_<

Your comments insult me, as I am a G1 fan, sir. You used your own personal bias and claim it as what G1 fans 'everywhere' feel.

As for why Snowstorm/Snow Cat yodels - japanese kids show comic relief. Takara evidently decided as the japanese view Transformers as a foriegn brand with foriegn values & sentient alien robots not piloted by humans, as well as a toyline and series for the very young or ultra otaku, Takara would sell these mainline Transformers to those markets instead of the more traditional human-piloted mecha market, such as those for Macross. At least Transformers does very well outside of Japan.

Just don't think the show is written for japanese adult anime fans or the mainline toys made for the japanese adult mecha collector, and you won't get so worked up and have your patience tried.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

The new shows have been completely devoid of anything I liked about the original G1 Transformers. To be fair, though, the original cartoon wasn't as great as many fans remember it being. While still enjoying the show, I felt distinctly dissapointed about many aspects that I did not recall as being quite so...well...crappy.

The new shows seem to build on what I disliked about the original shows, while dropping those things that made me enjoy the show so much as a kid.

I think Corey's comments about the designs are spot on, regardless of whether or not you're a G1 fan. The new designs just scream "munchkin", as if they were designed by a 15 year old that thinks any robot can be improved with garish colours and a generous helping of OMFGWTFGUNSEVERYWHERE!!!!!!!11111one

The animation itself is brighter and more colourful, and while I suffer no delusions that the original cartoon had splendid animation (it was quite bad at times), what I've seen of each of the new shows seems to have had even worse motion.

The cel animation from this new show looks to be no different. The CG isn't to stellar either. It looks like they tried to go for a blend between realistic CG and cel shaded CG and it just didn't come out right. It probably would have looked better if they dropped the 2D animation completely and went straight up realistic. Or dropped the realistic backgrounds entirely, and tried to mesh cel shaded CG and make it all flow together.

I shall reserve judgement on the show until I have actually viewed it. I don't expect it to be spectacular in terms of storyline, but I won't dismiss it until it ruins a good storyline thread, like Superlink disregarding Starscream's previous storyline with a personality reboot.

You're saying the GF designs would only appeal to '1337' kids? I think the people who are supporting GF in the main TF forums would disagree with you.

Its your opinion, and you're entitled to it, of course, but its best not to insult the intelligence of people who disagree with you, or make backhanded comments about what they like.

'Cheap plastic crap' was uncalled for.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm into Transformers for the toys alone. I liked the G1 series as a kid, but watching it now does little for me. I do find the movie watchable, but everything after that I've seen has never really been interesting to me.

That said, there are a few upcoming GF toys that look cool to me, like Starscream and Vector Prime, and possibly Nitro Convoy, but I'm not sold on Convoy or Megatron or, well, any of the others. Especially that monster truck thing. Oh lookiee, it's a truck with big ol' tires, and it's drivin over stuff, yeehaw!

I'm sure that figures more suitable to my taste will probably come eventually though.

I shall reserve judgement on the show until I have actually viewed it. I don't expect it to be spectacular in terms of storyline, but I won't dismiss it until it ruins a good storyline thread, like Superlink disregarding Starscream's previous storyline with a personality reboot.

I will also reserve judgement on the show itself, however I will judge the animation that has been shown to me, as it is supposedly representative of that wich will appear in said show.

You're saying the GF designs would only appeal to '1337' kids? I think the people who are supporting GF in the main TF forums would disagree with you.

Now tell me where exactly I said that. I've reread my post several times and I can't seem to find it. I did compare it to the 15 year old mentality of thinking robots look better the more guns you cram on them, and the brighter you make their colour schemes, though I am painfully aware that there are those well beyond 15 years of age who still cling to this ideal. I am even pessimistic enough to believe that I am in the minority of those to whom this asthetic does not appeal. These same people are often also fond of the Gundam Wing designs for wich I hold nothing but the utmost contempt.

'Cheap plastic crap' was uncalled for.

Just calling it like it is, though again I did state this was simply my opinion and that this particular asthetic does appeal to some.

However, if I proclaimed Rob Leifeld's misproportioned scribblings and blatantly plagiarised designs to be what they are, there would be many who would disagree with me, and cry that it was simply my opinion.

The fact of the matter is, just as it can be factually stated that Leifeld's proportions are in dire need of work, and Agent: America buys his costume from the Captain America fanclub, every toy from Armada, Energon, and now Galaxy Force have a distinct children's toy quality to them. Their vehicle designs do not look as futuristic, alien vehicles, so much as children's toys depicting such things as well as appealing to the asthetic I described above.

I happen to think that asthetic looks cheap and immature. I shall not curb my opinion to avoid hurting the feelings of those who disagree with me. I do not expect them to do that either, and it is my experience that many of them will not hold back their opinions because someone who disagrees happens to post to the same board. I've held several arguments with Transformers fans who swore up and down that Armada Hotshot looked far more realistic than the car forms of the RiD and G1 toylines. Many of them have told me that Yamato's YF-19 looked like crap compared to the Jetstorm toy from Beast Machines.

As an artsy-fartsy 15 year old who is addicted to old school anime mecha like G1 and Macross I couldn't help but laugh at your more guns comment. Its such a shame, and I agree with you....

I really am hating most of the Gundam-esque designs....I REALLY wish they would do a show for the BT/Alt designs in ultra-realsim! or something close to it...THAT would make me happy. I want a cartoon using the BT/Alt designs with animation on teh scope of TF: The Movie, one of my favorite movies ever. The G1 cartoon was good....but had its share of silly episodes...and we all know that the animation was pretty blah...but in this day and age, we should be able to get something better than the MORE GUNZ cartoons of the last couple of series.... the cartoon SHOULD be similar to Gundam in art and style IMO, but NOT in mecha design. I want the art style and the realstic mecha of Gundam, but NOT the garish color schemes and crappy GUNZ desgins. Gundam has some killer desings, but I HATE all the funky tri-color pasta paint schemes....Gundam with realistic mecha desings and usage, made by a bunch of tank modelling guys would be the best IMO...as long as they didn't get hung up on teh obscene details like "What were you thinking!? You actually signed off on animation in which that wingnut on the NT-01A's coller was A QAURTER OF AN INCH TOO BIG!!'

[/rant]