Official Transformers Alternators and more thread.

Bear in mind that transformers is trying to appeal to the kids....not us old nostalgic foggies who can't accept change. ;)

I didn't liked the Energon designs. Superlink was ALRIGHT.....

but this one seems like it could get somewhere. Regardless....i'm liking Starscream very much. :D

I am kind of on the fence with this one. . .

I loved Car Robots with the exception of the Destronger Animals (IMHO not cool) :angry:

With that line I collected everything but those. . .

Armada, I almost skipped but I actually liked the small Convoy they released. . .

Energon, I felt was crap. . .

I only bought the special set with Convoy and chrome Kicker. . .

I was hoping that someday they would breathe some new/old life in to the line. . .

GF Convoy looks solid but, Master Megatron looks like he belongs back in Energon. . .

So I guess I will be sticking to my trend of only buying the "Convoy" for each series.

Bear in mind that transformers is trying to appeal to the kids....not us old nostalgic foggies who can't accept change.  ;)

i'm liking Starscream very much.  :D

I totally agree ;) !!!!

And Pro5, like you said

They just need to back off the kiddieness just a little not alot. . .

Ah well, That's what we have Binaltech for I guess. . . :D

I'm looking forward to the new series. I'll most likely watch the raw version, or get the fansubs. I have a hard time watching the dubbed TF shows, anymore. Prime's voice distracts me. He sound almost, but not quite, like Peter Cullen's Prime. If it was a completely different voice, it wouldn't bother me.

I'm not really looking forward to the toys, that much. Hasbro still hasn't figured out that RID sold like gangbusters, because the kids could actually identify the alt modes. I'm looking forward to Prime, even though I've yet to identify what he's supposed to turn into, but the cab section, looks pretty cool. I know I'm going to have break the head mechanism. The cut out mouth plate looks just as bad as it did when they tried it with Energon Prime, but I don't like the side flaps out. With any luck, they're not connected. There's just something about I like.

I'll pick up Prime, and the handfull of figures that have Earth based alt modes, but my collecting focus is deffinately turning towards the Alternators. I like Energon, because at least half of the alt modes seemed to be inspired by real world vehicles, even if they were modified.

I've never been crazy about the toys with Cybertron based alt modes. It often seems to be an excuse to have a simplistic transformation or to leave the head and hands hanging out. There have been too many vehicle modes with obvious heads in the recent TF lines for me.

I may be tempted by the Cybertron Starscream if it is gray. I saw one picture where it looked white, which didn't look near as nice to me. Vector Prime looks interesting except for the huge nose cone that hangs down his back.

I hope the rumor of aircraft BTs/Alts turns out to be true!

Bear in mind that transformers is trying to appeal to the kids....not us old nostalgic foggies who can't accept change. ;)

Whenever someone says something like that, it seems like they're saying, "Well kids are stupid, they'll eat up any old crap that's tossed at them."

Of course, a truly solid show, one that might be called a classic down the line, is one that appeals to kids, but also adults.

I'm looking forward to the new series. I'll most likely watch the raw version, or get the fansubs. I have a hard time watching the dubbed TF shows, anymore. Prime's voice distracts me. He sound almost, but not quite, like Peter Cullen's Prime. If it was a completely different voice, it wouldn't bother me.

True that, that really throws me off with these newer TF shows, having Prime sound almost like G1 Peter Cullen Prime, but not. The new Galaxy Force figures look neat, though I can't convince myself to get anything other than Alternators. Somehow the complex transformation and realistic car modes makes them okay in my mind :rolleyes: , whereas the garish colors of the Energon line put me off as too kiddie :lol:. Alternator/Binaltech Jets would kick ass B)).

Bear in mind that transformers is trying to appeal to the kids....not us old nostalgic foggies who can't accept change.  ;)

Whenever someone says something like that, it seems like they're saying, "Well kids are stupid, they'll eat up any old crap that's tossed at them."

Of course, a truly solid show, one that might be called a classic down the line, is one that appeals to kids, but also adults.

You meant "NEW CRAP" didn't you? :huh: Didn't meant it that way though. Its just that we're grown up, and there are still kids today just like there were kids back then. Consider this. Would your parents have bought a G1 Prime long ago then and go "OMG THIS IS COOL" ? G1 TFs only have nostalgic value. We were kids then, so they appeal to us even now.

I'm not really into the new transformers now so I'm not sure how popular are the new ones to the kids today....but i'd say they'd probably be very popular considering HASBRO is pumping the toys out. So maybe when today's kids grow up, they'll look back at GF Convoy and say how cool he was etc.

PS: I really doubt G1 TF appealed to our parents...if that's how you gauge classic-ness, assuming u were refering to G1 TF as a solid show.

I often wonder how much I would have liked the new TF designs (Armada, Energon) when I was a kid. Back then my favorite TFs by far were the first few that looked like real world vehicles and things. Once the more cartoony and obscure toys started coming out my interest waned a bit. I know that by the time the headmasters and targetmasters came out I was pretty much done with Transformers.

That said, I just caved and ordered a Vector Prime. After looking at Remy's photo-shoot and seeing all the sculpted detail I couldn't resist.

I love how this guy looks like a cross between an old knight and some ancient cybertronian sage. I will admit though that his alt mode leaves a bit to be desired.

http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act294/

check out all those gears..

vectorprime32.jpg

kinda cool looking, i am not really into his vehicle mode at all looks alittle to weird to me, i loved the more realistic TF myself as well, when they started becoming these overly futuristic, neon colored things i started moving away from the series as well. i will always love the first generation even if they are for the most part unposeable.

I will also reserve judgement on the show itself, however I will judge the animation that has been shown to me, as it is supposedly representative of that wich will appear in said show.

Unfortunately, TF can't have an expensive OVA every few years - be hard to sell to kids without an ongoing cartoon. And ongoing cartoons of a low-budget nature don't tend to look very good compared to expensive series for more popular lines in Japan.

Perhaps one day this will change if Hasbro takes control of future tv shows. Hey, US TF is getting a live-action movie. Takara appears to have very little to do with this movie.

Now tell me where exactly I said that. I've reread my post several times and I can't seem to find it. I did compare it to the 15 year old mentality of thinking robots look better the more guns you cram on them, and the brighter you make their colour schemes, though I am painfully aware that there are those well beyond 15 years of age who still cling to this ideal. I am even pessimistic enough to believe that I am in the minority of those to whom this asthetic does not appeal. These same people are often also fond of the Gundam Wing designs for wich I hold nothing but the utmost contempt.

The thing is most of TF is aimed at a much younger market than that of Macross or Gundam - bound to me more immature in design. Lots of guns on TFs is nothing new. And I don't 'cling' to anything, thank you very much.

I dislike Gundam Wing's designs, but I lack knowledge about Gundam.

Just calling it like it is, though again I did state this was simply my opinion and that this particular asthetic does appeal to some.

Can I say I think the Macross 7 Valks look tacky? Because I think they do, in my opinion, of course. Wasn't it also designed by what's his name? I have a hard time remembering japanese names.

However, if I proclaimed Rob Leifeld's misproportioned scribblings and blatantly plagiarised designs to be what they are, there would be many who would disagree with me, and cry that it was simply my opinion.

The fact of the matter is, just as it can be factually stated that Leifeld's proportions are in dire need of work, and Agent: America buys his costume from the Captain America fanclub,

Sorry, I don't read comics :(

every toy from Armada, Energon, and now Galaxy Force have a distinct children's toy quality to them. Their vehicle designs do not look as futuristic, alien vehicles, so much as children's toys depicting such things as well as appealing to the asthetic I described above.

Yep, because they're childrens toys.

I happen to think that asthetic looks cheap and immature. I shall not curb my opinion to avoid hurting the feelings of those who disagree with me. I do not expect them to do that either, and it is my experience that many of them will not hold back their opinions because someone who disagrees happens to post to the same board. I've held several arguments with Transformers fans who swore up and down that Armada Hotshot looked far more realistic than the car forms of the RiD and G1 toylines. Many of them have told me that Yamato's YF-19 looked like crap compared to the Jetstorm toy from Beast Machines.

I have a hard time believing any serious TF fan that isn't a raving lunatic can claim Armada Hot Shot is more realistic than say X-Brawn or Prowl. Nobody can say that seriously.

I have a similarly hard time believing serious long-time TF fans can claim BM Jetstorm (either version) can compare to the YF-19 in terms of looks. Though comparisons between the toys is unfair, given that one, well, two are relatively cheap kids toys made for a mass market and the other is a relatively expensive collector's item made for a rather small market with much, much, much higher expectations.

As an artsy-fartsy 15 year old who is addicted to old school anime mecha like G1 and Macross I couldn't help but laugh at your more guns comment.  Its such a shame, and I agree with you....

I really am hating most of the Gundam-esque designs....I REALLY wish they would do a show for the BT/Alt designs in ultra-realsim!  or something close to it...THAT would make me happy.  I want a cartoon using the BT/Alt designs with animation on teh scope of TF: The Movie, one of my favorite movies ever.  The G1 cartoon was good....but had its share of silly episodes...and we all know that the animation was pretty blah...but in this day and age, we should be able to get something better than the MORE GUNZ cartoons of the last couple of series.... the cartoon SHOULD be similar to Gundam in art and style IMO, but NOT in mecha design.  I want the art style and the realstic mecha of Gundam, but NOT the garish color schemes and crappy GUNZ desgins.  Gundam has some killer desings, but I HATE all the funky tri-color pasta paint schemes....Gundam with realistic mecha desings and usage, made by a bunch of tank modelling guys would be the best IMO...as long as they didn't get hung up on teh obscene details like "What were you thinking!?  You actually signed off on animation in which that wingnut on the NT-01A's coller was A QAURTER OF AN INCH TOO BIG!!'[/rant]

I'll say it again - TF television media is marketed the way it is by Takara (who controls the shows nowadays). Its because in Japan, all TF is viewed as a wholly foriegn brand either for the VERY young or the otaku. Even a Takara designer/engineer has said he liked TF for its western ideals.

Another reason is that TF is about sentient alien robots rather than the traditional japanese human piloted mecha. Even Takara's/Sunrise's Brave series, which is EXTREMELY close to TF in terms of robot design, is mostly human-piloted mecha, explaining its high popularity over TF.

TF by far is sold to children and their parents. Older fans represent a small, though significant portion (20% at the most). Its unlikely we will ever get

So far a large number of us older fans seems to like this 'GUNZ' business if the reaction to GF is any indication. TF has never really been ultra realistic anyway.

True that, that really throws me off with these newer TF shows, having Prime sound almost like G1 Peter Cullen Prime, but not.

Optimus Prime is nowadays played by Gary Chalk. Megatron is played by David Kaye - both are fan favourite actors because of their respective roles of Optimus Primal and Megatron on Beast Wars.

Chalk's current voice is based upon his Optimal Optimus voice from Beast Wars season 3, where Primal was forced to contain the spark of G1 Optimus Prime within himself to preserve the life of the damaged Autobot leader, and thus preserve the timeline. That experience with the powerful spark transformed Primal's body into his Optimal Optimus incarnation. From then on, his voice had a slightly gruffer quality with *some* flanging.

I'm not really looking forward to the toys, that much. Hasbro still hasn't figured out that RID sold like gangbusters, because the kids could actually identify the alt modes.

Armada outsold RID, and it appears so has Energon. As for the vehicle modes - they could 'identify' them, as you say, but kids had trouble transforming some of the complicated toys, such as Sideburn/Speedbreaker. RID was merely a filler line Hasbro imported while both companies worked on Armada.

Takara won't touch Car Robots again - the line did so horribly in Japan that Takara nearly went bankrupt. Micron Densetsu (Armada) was their first relatively sucessful TF line in years, with Superlink also reasonably sucessful.

Here's something funny, just over a year back somebody asked Aaron Archer, Hasbro's TF head, about the likelihood of the RID/CR Trainbots appearing in Universe as a repaints. He said it was highly unlikely because 'they were a pain in the ass'.

I'm looking forward to Prime, even though I've yet to identify what he's supposed to turn into, but the cab section, looks pretty cool. I know I'm going to have break the head mechanism. The cut out mouth plate looks just as bad as it did when they tried it with Energon Prime, but I don't like the side flaps out. With any luck, they're not connected. There's just something about I like.

He's supposed to be some sort of fire truck. Apparently. His weapons array is mounted on what would be the ladders. Why break the head??? If you don't like the mouth he has a slide up faceplate, and the head can still turn with it on. The 'ears' are just hinged so you can leave them folded against the head if you so choose.

I may be tempted by the Cybertron Starscream if it is gray. I saw one picture where it looked white, which didn't look near as nice to me. Vector Prime looks interesting except for the huge nose cone that hangs down his back.

Its grey - those pictures were simply overexposed. Arms and upper legs are also dark blue, not black like some pictures.

There was - it was called Beast Wars. Many fans loved it for its maturity, excellent characterisation, entertaining stories, great acting, its link to G1 and its darkness. At the same time, many (though its less nowadays) fans, particularly people who haven't been with TF in a long time, hated it because it was about animal-bots, not cars and trucks. Either way, the toy line was very sucessful.

Beast Machines was in a similar vein, though it polarised the fandom because while it was a direct continuation of Beast Wars, the new writers drastically changed the premise and characterisations. Still, it was a dark, mature series, and the toy line did fairly well.

We got two mature TF shows from the US side, and its unlikely we'll see the likes of them again.

Aaron Archer later said that the reason the train robot JRX team from RID wouldn't make it back was since they had a lot of clear plastic in them which made them expensive to recreate. Another thing is they would have to be sold in a set as well. If I remember it right but the main reason was due to the clear plastic expenses.

Beast machines going downhill was hasbro's fault since they fired the writers of beast wars. Some of the toy design team also left and went onto other jobs,. Archer later confirmed during OFTCC that some of the beast wars design team IS now back in hasbro working on the "new" line. That "new" line is cybertron or galaxy force in japan. Which MIGHT be the reason why the GF figures look MUCH MUCH better than previous releases and is almost up to par with beast wars if not RID.

And it is true about different marketing. Aaron Archer, when he was head designer, mainly did concept art and such. The actual blueprinter and toy designer was really Kobayashi in japan. I forgot his first name but he is relatively young, and his first break was car robots speedbreaker, whom I believe is the viper in RID. THis man is responsible for most of armada, maybe most of energon, and the BT/alts and of course masterpiece prime. You can definitely tell which market he was designing for and it shows, the kids stuff lacks everything we know and love about realism that shows up in the BT/alts. And in an interview or booklet, he did say that the bottom of MP prime's foot is the same as bendy prime's in armada. SO there you have it. Different markets, different designs, different appeals.

And always remember faults in design do not necesarily lay on the shoulders of one company, hasbro and takara are mutual partners and share expenses, if one screwup is made, it's both their faults, not always hasbro's.

Why break the head??? If you don't like the mouth he has a slide up faceplate, and the head can still turn with it on. The 'ears' are just hinged so you can leave them folded against the head if you so choose.

I'll break the head if the flaps and mouth plate are connected. I've seen pictures that suggest that moving one, makes the other move. If that's the case, I will remove or break whatever mechanism forces them to work together.

PS: I really doubt G1 TF appealed to our parents...if that's how you gauge classic-ness, assuming u were refering to G1 TF as a solid show.

Nah, the original G1 show had it's moments, but overall it wasn't that great. I cannot sit down and watch it with nearly the same anjoyment as I did so many years ago. Even in my teens, when they were showing the so-called Generation 2 version of the series (with the crappy CG cube and scene switches) I was dissapointed.

However, take SDF Macross. I enjoyed Robotech when I was a kid. As I grew up, I started liking Robotech less and less, but still enjoyed it more than any other show I liked as a kid. Then I get SDF Macross, and I enjoy it far more than I ever enjoyed any of my childhood shows now or then.

As for our parents enjoying toys, that really depends on whether or not they're inclined to like toys in the first place. Most people suffer from some degenerative mental illness that causes them to think all toys (and animation) are for kids only as they grow older.

Unfortunately, TF can't have an expensive OVA every few years - be hard to sell to kids without an ongoing cartoon. And ongoing cartoons of a low-budget nature don't tend to look very good compared to expensive series for more popular lines in Japan.

Perhaps one day this will change if Hasbro takes control of future tv shows. Hey, US TF is getting a live-action movie. Takara appears to have very little to do with this movie.

Get off it, I'm not such an animation snob that I refuse to watch anyuthing but movies and OVAs. There's plenty of teleivision series that I'm perfectly happy with them.

Can I say I think the Macross 7 Valks look tacky? Because I think they do, in my opinion, of course. Wasn't it also designed by what's his name? I have a hard time remembering japanese names.

I will agree as far as the Soundforce Valkyries, wich look a lot like post-movie G1 Transformers. However, that same show also gave us the VF-17, some much less tacky varients of the 19 including the excellent VF-19P, the VF-1C, a version of the VF-14, the VF-5000, the Full Armour V-11, the VF-22 and the VA-3, all of wich are great.

Yep, because they're childrens toys.

I have a hard time believing any serious TF fan that isn't a raving lunatic can claim Armada Hot Shot is more realistic than say X-Brawn or Prowl. Nobody can say that seriously.

I have a similarly hard time believing serious long-time TF fans can claim BM Jetstorm (either version) can compare to the YF-19 in terms of looks. Though comparisons between the toys is unfair, given that one, well, two are relatively cheap kids toys made for a mass market and the other is a relatively expensive collector's item made for a rather small market with much, much, much higher expectations.

Believe it, pal. Over on the BWTF.com forums ages ago, when Armada was still new and only the first wave had been released. The vast majority of the people there made those very claims. I believe at one point someone even brought up that the RiD car brothers did not have gas caps, and Hotshot did, so that was further 'proof' that Hotshot was the more realistic looking vehicle.

With the 19 they claimed the visible screws made it look worse, and less realistic than Jetstorm.

Even Takara's/Sunrise's Brave series, which is EXTREMELY close to TF in terms of robot design, is mostly human-piloted mecha, explaining its high popularity over TF.

Well that, and the Brave shows are much better written than the newer TF shows. At least what I've seen of them.

Edited by Radd

for all you southern california folk, the target off culver and baranca has a swindler, and that honda alternator in stock.. they had a grimlock but I bought him. :p

If by "honda alternator", you mean Windcharger, the red Honda S2000...then you should have picked it up, too. It came out a little earlier than expected; only a handful of stores in the country have picked up Windcharger so far.

See attached link:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/thread64591.html

I'd really like to get one. If you or anyone else here can pick me one up for me, I'll paypal cost, shipping and a little extra for the effort.

If by "honda alternator", you mean Windcharger, the red Honda S2000...then you should have picked it up, too.

I'd really like to get one. If you or anyone else here can pick me one up for me, I'll paypal cost, shipping and a little extra for the effort.

Ditto. I don't know if I've just become unlucky or if distribution has gotten worse, but I'm finding that more and more I have to rely on online buddies or stores to get what I want.

so yeah, if anyone finds an extra Windcharger (and/or Grimlock for that matter), nab one for me and I'll be your best friend. :)

Why break the head??? If you don't like the mouth he has a slide up faceplate, and the head can still turn with it on. The 'ears' are just hinged so you can leave them folded against the head if you so choose.

I'll break the head if the flaps and mouth plate are connected. I've seen pictures that suggest that moving one, makes the other move. If that's the case, I will remove or break whatever mechanism forces them to work together.

And there you go, my friend - they are independant from each other. The faceplate moves up via a lever positioned on the back of Convoy's head like MP Convoy's mouth button. The head wings are just indepedently hinged, like Armada Supermode Prime's or Energon Prime's head wings/ear things.

Believe it, pal. Over on the BWTF.com forums ages ago, when Armada was still new and only the first wave had been released. The vast majority of the people there made those very claims. I believe at one point someone even brought up that the RiD car brothers did not have gas caps, and Hotshot did, so that was further 'proof' that Hotshot was the more realistic looking vehicle.

With the 19 they claimed the visible screws made it look worse, and less realistic than Jetstorm.

And there it is, the BWTF forums. Ben is great. A fantastic fan. Other people in there... not exactly the most enlightning tf fans from what I understand.

I'm pretty bloody sure many people then and now in other forums know Hot Shot is crap, but at the same time a fair number of people (myself included) love the toy for its goofiness and its JaAm charm.

Jetstorm - Crazy people. Its a good toy, but not better looking than a Yamato Macross plane. But I do think having such large screws visible on top looks pretty bad. I think they should have put something like a rubber cap made in the colour of the base plastic over them. I am thinking of the right plane... right?

I've always wanted the more futuristic Yamato planes, but am scared to death of breaking them during transformation.

Well that, and the Brave shows are much better written than the newer TF shows. At least what I've seen of them.

Naturally - Sunrise.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

for all you southern california folk, the target off culver and baranca has a swindler, and that honda alternator in stock.. they had a grimlock but I bought him. :p

Hey eugimon. thanks for the heads up. I passed up Swindle cause I dotn care about a hohd repaint right now. But I ran over and snapped up the S2000!!!!

Well, I finally got Grimlock. Took me 30 minutes to transform him first time around (I refuse to read instruction manuals), but I managed to figure out his transformation. Glad I didn't get the BT version, as I would be dead-pissed by all the scratches that would've occured.

Here's a Happy New Year greeting to you all! Now for some Rum & Coke...

grimlockcap.jpg

Hey eugimon. thanks for the heads up. I passed up Swindle cause I dotn care about a hohd repaint right now. But I ran over and snapped up the S2000!!!!

Post some pics of the S2000!

Well, I finally got Grimlock. Took me 30 minutes to transform him first time around (I refuse to read instruction manuals), but I managed to figure out his transformation. Glad I didn't get the BT version, as I would be dead-pissed by all the scratches that would've occured.

Here's a Happy New Year greeting to you all! Now for some Rum & Coke...

grimlockcap.jpg

I love Capt. Morgan's, but I hate those dumb ass advertisements. But that's a great pick A7.

Damn, I guess I should have waited a little longer for Alternator Grimmy to show up, I just bought the Binaltech one. Not that i'm mad about that but I could have saved a few dollars.

god the trailer looks cool, i wonder if they are going to make it open up like it did in the G-1 series, it does not look like it, there does not seem to be to much detail on the inside, i wonder if they will get around to make the trailer for the upcoming Ultra Magnus? does anyone know the price yet?

Edited by zeo-mare

I don't think scratches matter on BT Grimlock, as he is mostly plastic. He has metal in his front bumper, doors and rear bumper.

Another difference is BT Grimlock's engines and wheel rims are vaccum metalised.

Wait, so you only get some metal upgrade with the BT Grimlock? If that is the case, I will stick to buying the alternator version. Meister is mostly metal right? I don't care about the robot joints, but the car body has to be completely metal if I am going to pay the extra thirty bucks for a BT version of these things.

Well, I finally got Grimlock. Took me 30 minutes to transform him first time around (I refuse to read instruction manuals), but I managed to figure out his transformation.

:lol: The same way we guys refuse to ask for directions when we're lost!! ( Ofcourse we dont tell our wives or girlfriends that)

Happy New Year Y'aLL

Edited by holytoledo69

Vector Prime looks interesting except for the huge nose cone that hangs down his back.

:lol: But I guess its ok for a nosecone to be hanging between the crotch of a Battroid? Just pulling your leg.

Actually You hardly notice that nosecone in vector prime's back. It almost seems like its part of his cape thingy