Star Trek: Picard (CBS All-Access)

UN Spacy

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:
  Hide contents

Maybe she isn't dead either?

Spoiler

If Shaw turns out to be alive I'll jump up and do a dance, but Shelby. Lady got hit point blank range by two phasers just before comms quick and was on board a ship manned by assimilated crew who would rather she died than lived. I'm going with, no.:p

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

AF12248D-99AD-4B8A-B568-E04FDB324E8F.png.b577304ea15f2bbb8a2eec52b4c1cfd0.png

Love this shot!

Edited by Thom

Enterprise, past and future 😎

One thing I didn’t get, though…..what wrecked the fleet?? They didn’t seem to be under much if any attack from Spacedock and they stated that the planetary fence stations were destroyed. I seriously doubt Titan did that much damage to them on her strafing runs.

Chris

15 hours ago, Dobber said:

Enterprise, past and future 😎

One thing I didn’t get, though…..what wrecked the fleet?? They didn’t seem to be under much if any attack from Spacedock and they stated that the planetary fence stations were destroyed. I seriously doubt Titan did that much damage to them on her strafing runs.

Chris

Spacedock itself. It was putting up quite a bit of a fight.

13 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Thinking about that: it's a considerable tragedy. Both sides were Starfleet, and a lot of good people died and good ships were lost.

Very true. It's not like a faction of Star Fleet broke away and tried to take over, they were just used as tools.

7 minutes ago, Thom said:

Very true. It's not like a faction of Star Fleet broke away and tried to take over, they were just used as tools.

Right, which means a lot of survivors guilt from both starship crews and spacedock personnel, with bereft family and friends on both sides mourning the lost. I can also imagine many leaving Starfleet over guilt in their unwilling complicity in the Borg nightmare. With that in mind, Picard and Seven would have been of paramount value, as they have walked in those shoes (Particularly Picard and Wolf 359).

I think afterwards, a lot less people would ever hold Picard in any comtempt for having been assimilated and used. They now understand perfectly how helpless one really is in that situation.

3 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Right, which means a lot of survivors guilt from both starship crews and spacedock personnel, with bereft family and friends on both sides mourning the lost. I can also imagine many leaving Starfleet over guilt in their unwilling complicity in the Borg nightmare. With that in mind, Picard and Seven would have been of paramount value, as they have walked in those shoes (Particularly Picard and Wolf 359).

I think afterwards, a lot less people would ever hold Picard in any comtempt for having been assimilated and used. They now understand perfectly how helpless one really is in that situation.

Yeah, it's easy to hold one person responsible for Wolf 359 (disregarding that he was under another's control) but much harder when it was most of Star Fleet who were used this time.

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

All in all, it kind of depends on how much There Are No Therapists is in play in this now-marginally-less gritty and grimdark take on Star Trek's 24th and 25th centuries.

The younger Starfleet officers who were subjected to this new and nonsensical form of Borg assimilation didn't have to undergo the monumental physical trauma of conventional Borg assimilation techniques (and being compelled to assist with inflicting same on others).  The only emotional trauma they're going to have to process is having been compelled to attack their colleagues who were unaffected.  Jean-Luc Picard's assimilation was so traumatic for him because his memories and knowledge were key to the Borg's curbstomp victory at Wolf 359 and because he underwent the full physical process.  None of these kids were instrumental to the Borg's plan in that manner, and they missed out on the body horror entirely, so that likely shielded them from a lot of the trauma.

Given that the one who had it worst - Jack Crusher, who was not only conventionally assimilated but also the instrument of the Borg's victory like Jean-Luc was - not only becomes a Starfleet officer but is shown to be in good spirits barely a year later suggests that this was probably considerably less traumatic than the usual for Borg assimilation.

Assuming Starfleet has the ubiquitous councilors that were/are depicted as being one or more to a starship from TNG's first season clear through to the present day... there might be an initial major influx of patients but I think a lot of the young officers would bounce back fairly readily as Jack himself did.

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

How many people actually held Picard in contempt for having been assimilated and used against Starfleet in the first place?

Thus far, we've seen exactly two:  Benjamin Sisko and Liam Shaw, both of whom were survivors of the Wolf 359 massacre who apparently never worked through their issues with one of Starfleet's therapists.  Ben Sisko's beef with Picard over it doesn't even last the entire DS9 series pilot.

The number of Wolf 359 veterans was never huge, and a lot of them have likely retired by the time of Picard.  The younger generations of officers never had to deal with it, and Borg assimilation was a lot better understood at the time they went to the Academy, so they'd be a lot less likely to hold anything against him regardless.

4 hours ago, Thom said:

Spacedock itself. It was putting up quite a bit of a fight.

Did it though? When Spacedock fell, I don’t recall seeing ships adrift and broken up. I admit I haven’t gone back to check. 

Chris

4 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Did it though? When Spacedock fell, I don’t recall seeing ships adrift and broken up. I admit I haven’t gone back to check. 

Chris

The debris had to come from somewhere and that was the only battle that took place with the only ships that took part. Sure a lot would be from orbital defense systems and even bits from Space Dock, but since SD was also returning fire, then the assimilated fleet was also taking hits and shedding parts.

Ok so I went back and watched the battle scenes. Yes SD takes out some of the fleet and there is some debris floating around, but that beauty shot of Enterprise and Titan make it look as though there are no other ships around and show ALOT of wrecked ships adrift. Far more then are shown earlier.  I’ll just chalk it up we didn’t see everything that happened or that scenes perspective just happened to show the majority of the “oppositions” losses. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Chris

4 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Ok so I went back and watched the battle scenes. Yes SD takes out some of the fleet and there is some debris floating around, but that beauty shot of Enterprise and Titan make it look as though there are no other ships around and show ALOT of wrecked ships adrift. Far more then are shown earlier.  I’ll just chalk it up we didn’t see everything that happened or that scenes perspective just happened to show the majority of the “oppositions” losses. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Chris

That's one thing I wish they'd shown, more close-in rather than the distance shots. I can only imagine that there were other ships, civilian as well, that could have gotten caught in the cross fire. Plus, I think that last shot was just a 'beauty' shot of the two ships, ala Undiscovered Country.

21 hours ago, Thom said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If Shaw turns out to be alive I'll jump up and do a dance, but Shelby. Lady got hit point blank range by two phasers just before comms quick and was on board a ship manned by assimilated crew who would rather she died than lived. I'm going with, no.:p

Love this shot!

Yep.  It makes a nice desktop wallpaper too.

6 hours ago, Thom said:

That's one thing I wish they'd shown, more close-in rather than the distance shots. I can only imagine that there were other ships, civilian as well, that could have gotten caught in the cross fire. Plus, I think that last shot was just a 'beauty' shot of the two ships, ala Undiscovered Country.

This could be the reason for all the debris:

Spoiler

336642067_214896604544189_999302045285392627_n.jpg.04b8ecb82e26a91cc057b08990a92417.jpg

Edited by pengbuzz

50 minutes ago, sketchley said:

LOL!

And at first blush it seems oddly plausible!  (given that he's a hologram and all that)

The REALLY funny thing is that Voyager, like Picard, had a scene where the borg were assimilating the ship's crew remotely. But they were defeated swiftly through the activation of the Emergency Command Hologram and deployment of the photonic cannon!

We'll just ignore that it was literally a dream sequence.

(I actually had forgotten this clip "involved" the borg.)

11 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

This could be the reason for all the debris:

Hide contents

336642067_214896604544189_999302045285392627_n.jpg.04b8ecb82e26a91cc057b08990a92417.jpg

That's great! :D

10 hours ago, JB0 said:

I'd watch this.330312737_1122535949139144_1410016547760430268_n.jpg.c40a8a1c78ca828c845c582b542e538f.jpg

Would watch that! Robert Picardo's one man Trek show!

7 hours ago, sh9000 said:

0B3917C4-0F2F-4F63-8CCC-6622F7A15AC4.jpeg.4faa60c7212d1e8bc81380d5bfe7fb65.jpeg

I'd watch Star Trek:  Legacy.

My viewing block through the week would chock full of goodness!

Terry Matalas: In our mind, we were writing the origin story of the next Enterprise and that the Titan name would live on in a proper new Luna Class ship. The Titan-B. Hopefully glimpsed in some future show.

When all's said and done, this is basically just an admission that the Neo Constitution-class Titan-A was a mistake.

They could have saved themselves a lot of time, effort, and earned a substantial number of brownie points with the fans by just using Will Riker's Luna-class USS Titan like they did in the Lower Decks series.  If they had, they wouldn't have had to come up with that complicated rationalization for why the divisive Titan-A design was and wasn't Will Riker's Titan, do the Enterprise-F dirty by having her appear and then immediately get destroyed offscreen, or do the Titan dirty by having her renamed Enterprise despite her achievements in-series and the name's legacy.  They literally could have just used the existing and beloved USS Titan design fans were cheering for in Lower Decks and introduced a new Enterprise - either using the existing Enterprise-F design or the Neo Constitution-one - at the end as Seven's new command and nobody would've had any reason to complain at all.

(Hell, that way Seven would have been commanding the seventh Enterprise instead of the eighth... which I'm sure would make a pleasing bit of symmetry for fans.)