1/55 Minmay Guard

sbarrett4

Minmay Guard

Having some free time after Christmas allowed me to finish this. Its my first time using waterslide decals in almost 20 years and I am happy with the ease of use (thanks Devin!). Its based off the Minmay Guard picture thats been floating around here for a while. I used a Jetfire body, recast 1/48 VF-1S head, and Devin's decals, along with a little paint.

Low Vis is next, should be done by the end of the week.

Only thing the blue used for the stock of the gunpod seems a little too deep. But Matching color of a decal is hard enough

Yeah, I'm *still* looking for a perfect paint match for the purple/blue in the decals. I'll let everyone know when I find one....

Awww, c'mon Graham... the head looks alright... what scares me is what's on the other end of that canopy... maybe Ray is the pilot... hmmm...

Nah, IMO having the sleek, perfectly proportioned 1/48 head stuck onto the chunky, poorly proportioned 1/55 body just doesn't work IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I think this Minmay Guard 1/55 Custom looks great, but it would be better with the original 1/55 head, to match the 1/55 body.

Graham

Awww, c'mon Graham... the head looks alright... what scares me is what's on the other end of that canopy... maybe Ray is the pilot... hmmm...

I used the 1/48 head because it has more of a neck than a standard chunky monkey head, and I wanted to have the purple coloring there. The pink on the nose is darker than the guide pictures I used, but that was as close as I could get. Same goes for the blue on the gunpod. The flash makes the blue look worse than it really is though

Looks great, nice work all around. From the decals to the completion of the custom, nice and original. Do you have any pics in fighter mode? I may have a temporary link, but I only see two, both in battloid.

Thanks,

No fighter mode pics, it looks odd in fighter mode IMHO. I'll take some and post them when I am able.

wow, are those decals for sale?

Yes, but I am not taking orders right now. They should be available again in about a month.

Sweet.... I'll keep that in mind.

Do us all a favor and let us know when you're taking orders again... I'd hate to miss out.

That is a great custom. For some reason I've grown to like the Minmay Guard quite a bit. If I can find a pic of the decal sheet or something, I may install VO again to have a crack at a custom skin...bwahahaha...

No one cared about my MW schemed one. =[

nice work shan. The nice thing about a chunky custom is that it retains it's ability to bash things without breaking. Hasn't anyone heard of playing "valksies"? It's like knivesies but rather than knives you wing the valk of you choice as hard as you can at your opponent until one of you has to go to the hospital. Using a jetfire [my preffered choice] is fine but filling the hollow areas with lead is not :rolleyes:

Does the 1/48 head transform as well as the regular or do you have to "finess" it? I know I had to rig a removable head for my violator custom but my exo-skelaton with manga head works fina as long as I rotate the head. I had one of those heads and was thinking of doing the head mod myself but greenguy had a 1/48 and really wanted the head... which reminds me... he never showed pics like he promised :unsure:

Does the 1/48 head transform as well as the regular or do you have to "finess" it?

I finess it. I had to hollow out the neck to make it fit on the peg, in doing so, I damaged the peg that the screw would go into. I wouldn't see any reason why it wouldn't transform like a normal 1/55 head though.

Um, are all the valks erogenous zones supposed to be pink like that?

Right.....my eye just "goes there" ....... :lol: Maybe its the jetfire nosecone,,all nice and round and soft,,(*eyes get all dreamy***)...,uh i digress...yeah get this guy a Taka nose...