GU-11 Strap

mister_e

I was just contemplating whether or not I wanted to try to attach the strap to my 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru and it just occurred to me that the strap seems rather silly. I mean, sure it looks cool, but what real purpose could it serve? The VF-1 can already store the GU-11 on its forearm if a free hand is needed, so it's not needed for that. Also, what material would it supposed to be made of. Certainly it wouldn't be a huge strap of leather, would it? I guess I'm kind of bored, oh well.

I'm not sure if the gunstraps ever appear in DYRL or any of the sequels/prequels.

There's a shot of the gunstrap (in DYRL) during the scene where Hikaru (in the VF-1A) destroys the Zentradi Power Suit in front of the main bridge. As the Valkyrie is turned around you can see the gunstrap clearly. :ph34r:

I'm not sure if the gunstraps ever appear in DYRL or any of the sequels/prequels.

Also I believe ROY is using the strap in the second ep. of the TV show. When he helps HIKARU and explains how the VF-1 works. Before repairing the 1D he attach the gunpod with the strap. Maybe my memory is wrong.

Wow Graham...I don't think I have ever seen this side of you before :o

So have we figured out if it is leather or some other substance...fruit Roll-up per chance? You know for the times when they don't have time to eat or get stranded, like Hikaru and Misa in DYRL..they could eat part of the gun-strap instead of eating mutated fish.

Just food for thought :blink:

Rob MN

Good idea Rob, but you could eat a leather strap if you boiled it long enough, after all leather is really only the preserved interface between beef and the rest of the world and its probably more hardwearing than fruit Roll-up. My guess would be some kind of synthetic to reduce the risk of valk pilots eating their gunstraps if they get a bit peckish on extended missions.

i would guess it to be made out of a nylon-type webbing. leather wouldn't hold up to 40-foot tall mech wear & tear. hmmm,using it to tie up an "enemy". now i know why max never left that meltran ship he was in in DYRL?

:o:p

Yeah, I always thought that it "looked cool".

But seriously, with all the overtechnology, and the fact that the gunpod can obviously be magnetically attached to the forearm makes it completely unrealistic.

I always thought it was funny to watch the valks go to sling arms in battroid mode. Anyone who has ever slung a rifle over your shoulder, and not diagonally across the back when you are trying to use your arms for something, will tell you that slinging the rifle over the shoulder is more of a pain in the ass than just using one arm to do whatever it is you are trying to do.

Probably just like a cargo strap, with a big I-reel to retract it. Similar material too, maybe.

Edited by Anubis

I always thought it gave the VFs a more "human" look which is kinda cool. However if Kawamori were to ask me himself because he was going to redo SDFM I would say, leave em out.

On-topic briefly, I would assume the strap is made out of kevlar, or something similarly tough.

Would YOU trust a leather strap to hold up under a 15-foot gun while running?

depends how thick it is.... several layers of leather stitch together can be quite strong....

vinnie

The strap could be used as the real life straps in sub-machine guns are used: as a third arm to hold the gun in a more stable way (very useful when running) . But the VF-1 is a robot so I imagine it can handle the gun better than humans.

Actually, it probably couldn't. The ones used on SMGs are specially designed Tactical Slings, which have a second strap that attaches at the back sling point and then attaches to the other strap at the middle. A regular sling only can cause trouble when moving, as the long strap will cause the end to move.

Straps were made for people to easily carry guns.

The way the attatchment point is on the arms of the Valks, doing things with the hands could be hindered by that big pod sticking out from the forearm. So it'd be convenient to strap it on the shoulder.

Like in the second episode of the series.

Fokker is going to use his forearm repair devices to fix up the 1D. With the gunpod stuck on the forearm it'd only get in the way. So he puts the strap on and slings it.

Makes sense. o_O

Look at how the strap. it's folded inside the back of the gunpod.

Yep, just like a cargo strap complete with reel. A big version of what you use for pallets.

I never realized that it was stored inside the gunpod like that. How cool would it have been if Yamato could've incorporated that feature into the 1/48? That and if the intake covers actually opened on hinges instead of being removed. I know I'm asking too much, but it still would've been cool :D.

Edited by mister_e

I never realized that it was stored inside the gunpod like that. How cool would it have been if Yamato could've incorporated that feature into the 1/48? That and if the intake covers actually opened on hinges instead of being removed. I know I'm asking too much, but it still would've been cool :D.

Maybe it'll be on the 1/1 scale version...

Hmm... I thought the strap could be made out of kevlar. Super strong and will be able to resist bullets!

Is kevlar really that flexible? Especially at the required thickness?

with that much leather, how much cattles must they slaughter ?!!

Man that would be alot of McDonald's! :o:blink:

In the beginning they would use a lot of cows to make those straps.

But just think, after the UN Spacy gets hold of resizing chambers from the Zentradi, they could use them to macronize the cows. Heh, 60ft giant cows :p

Graham

with that much leather, how much cattles must they slaughter ?!!

Man that would be alot of McDonald's! :o:blink:

In the beginning they would use a lot of cows to make those straps.

But just think, after the UN Spacy gets hold of resizing chambers from the Zentradi, they could use them to macronize the cows. Heh, 60ft giant cows :p

Graham

And thus was born the greatest enemy the world had ever known, the scourge of the universe, the mighty COWZILLA!