GU-11 Strap

mister_e

Hmm...  I thought the strap could be made out of kevlar.  Super strong and will be able to resist bullets!

Is kevlar really that flexible? Especially at the required thickness?

Well... Two threads at 2 mm thick is enough to support a fairly heavy human (at least 200 + Lbs). Not to mention it can be woven into multiple layers to form a bullet resistant (note I don't mean proof) vest. It's feasible that you could make it out of kevlar.

Hmm...  I thought the strap could be made out of kevlar.  Super strong and will be able to resist bullets!

Well... Two threads at 2 mm thick is enough to support a fairly heavy human (at least 200 + Lbs). Not to mention it can be woven into multiple layers to form a bullet resistant (note I don't mean proof) vest. It's feasible that you could make it out of kevlar.

I've never seen anything made of kevlar, that's why I was asking how pliable the material would be at that thickness. Does it feel like a tougher version of nylon or what?

So a 2mm thick wove can support a person? Not bad.

I've never seen anything made of kevlar, that's why I was asking how pliable the material would be at that thickness. Does it feel like a tougher version of nylon or what?

No... I meant two 2 mm thick THREADS can support a person. Although, I wouldn't try this over a skyscraper...

No... I meant two 2 mm thick THREADS can support a person. Although, I wouldn't try this over a skyscraper...

Sweet.

OK, Kevlar strap it is.

their using robotechnology!

actually, my bro rock climbs, and he has a few kevlar ropes, it seems very plyable,and one of the ropes (maybe the thickness of a permanent marker)is capeable of holding up a large mid sixtys american sedan. (seen it done)

a strap as fat as the gun pod strap should do the job just fine.

Kevlar and Nylon are actually very close, chemically speaking.

Kevlar's big propertiy is its ability to stretch and flex without breaking. Basically, take Nylon's properties and scale them up a bit.

Little OT:

I once saw a test of one of those "Bullit resistant" vests

they shot a window dummy

First thing that came to mind was "without concrete, it's gonna dig that bullit AND vest 7 cm deep between your ribs"

it saves the trouble finding and taking the bullit out, but that's it

got to see some results on kevlar plates used on armored cars, they threw everything at it, including grenades and taping explosives to it

only a few layers were damaged,... nice stuff!

Kevlar and Nylon are actually very close, chemically speaking.

Kevlar's big propertiy is its ability to stretch and flex without breaking.  Basically, take Nylon's properties and scale them up a bit.

Little OT:

I once saw a test of one of those "Bullit resistant" vests

they shot a window dummy

First thing that came to mind was "without concrete, it's gonna dig that bullit AND vest 7 cm deep between your ribs"

it saves the trouble finding and taking the bullit out, but that's it

got to see some results on kevlar plates used on armored cars, they threw everything at it, including grenades and taping explosives to it

only a few layers were damaged,... nice stuff!

Even more off-topic, but something that may interest some people is that Kevlar and Nylon are actually plastics.

Yes, you read that correctly. Kevlar, Nylon, and even the stuff that makes bullet-proof glass are all plastics.

And if that's not enough to boggle your mind, pause for a moment and think about airplanes. All that fibreglass is held in place by a plastic matrix. All those nifty carbon composits that airline companies love to brag about? Guess what? They're held in place by... you guessed it: plastic.

So stop and think for a moment that the next you plane you ride in is almost 50% plastic, in terms of major structural components.

:lol:

So stop and think for a moment that the next you plane you ride in is almost 50% plastic, in terms of major structural components.

Now wait just a second! Yes, there is a lot of plastic in some airplanes. But the average private or commercial aircraft is almost all aluminum and other alloys. There's not a lot of CF in a 737, and certainly not in a Cessna. Some things, however, do have quite a bit more, like the newesr light aircraft, or the next-gen airliners, like the 7E7. But most planes MW members will be in are metal.

The entire tail section on the 777 is fibreglass and carbon composits, along with major parts of its wings and elevator flaps, plus the nosecone and nose section, among others.

Add in all the polyester carpeting, vinyl seatcovers, foam in the seats, acrylic windows, and hard plastic. Fibreglass is easily made to be lighter and thinner than aluminium with as much, if not more, strength. CF is much easier to incorperate into newer designs than it is to retrofit into older ones. As the old models are retired from service, there will be less and less metal.

One of the more funny things is that there are new methods of epoxing the joints together to the point where the metal will tear before that joint will. It's a cheap, easy method that would result in massive weight saved from getting rid of all those rivets, which would mean better fuel economy The only problem is the inspectors can't get it through their heads that planes can be made without rivets, and expect to see them there.

You know how there are some topics you just kind of ignore for a while but then the curiosity gets to you and you finally take a look at it and then wish that you had been in on it the entire time? Well, this topic is like that for me....except for that last part. :lol: You guys are funny.