Bandai VF-19 Advance....!!!

Scream Man

added some details on the cockpit. the display decal is taken from a 1/72 VF-25 hasegawa kit.

DSC_9477_zpswaimulk9.jpg

I'd do this, but I hate painting cockpits, so yeah, I'll leave mine alone... You did an outstanding job though well done.

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

That is cool!

Thanks. I actually thought lots of additional detail but since I have found no way to detach some parts (the display piece is glued), I find it risky to continue adding more.

I'd do this, but I hate painting cockpits, so yeah, I'll leave mine alone... You did an outstanding job though well done.

imo, this one is easy, I just happen to have an extra display decals (which is great for Hasegawa since they always give 3 to 4 display option)

That looks great Chyll! Didn't even think about the VF-25 instruments. I used the ones from the Hasegawa YF-19 and the fit was good but it looks like yours is even better.

It is not really a good fit. The decal is notice-ably small that is why I have to paint the back black so that it will be less obvious.

Edited by chyll2

I scanned my Hasegawa 19 decals and then just printed them at the highest resolution I could get out of a color laser printer at work. The only real drawback is the white edges of the paper. But I think it looks OK from the distance I tend to look from.

post-10360-0-77561300-1439186048_thumb.jpg

The cockpit is so visible on the 19, that it's really good to have something there so any effort "up front" pays off nicely.

I scanned my Hasegawa 19 decals and then just printed them at the highest resolution I could get out of a color laser printer at work. The only real drawback is the white edges of the paper. But I think it looks OK from the distance I tend to look from.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150810_1550061.jpg

The cockpit is so visible on the 19, that it's really good to have something there so any effort "up front" pays off nicely.

A closed up shot would see the flaws in the work I made but at the distance and scale, it is good enough for me as well. Your decal of choice is actually better since the decal would cover the two small panel on the side of the display

My original plan though was to add more clutter on the lower front area (there are plenty of space to add in) and a headrest but I dont know how or where to start (I havent done any detailing on cockpit before but I am still searching for modelling techniques used by modellers that I can comfortably do)

IMG_20150810_1550061.jpg

That looks pretty bloody good to me! I'd certainly be happy with that! Wouldn't care to send me one you made if I paypal you a few bucks yeah? ;):D

On Chyll2 version it looks like he also painted some details around the edges.. ^_^

IMG_20150810_1550061.jpg

That looks great!

I know you're using a work printer, but if you can get away with it, you can always pick up some decal paper and print your own waterslide decals.

I did what you did on my valkyries, but being as picky as I am, I am now in the process of replacing them with decals to eliminate the white edges. :)

Ok, here's the same pose but from a different angle.

WP 20150810 010

The nose is still off the ground and it's supporting it's own weight.

WP 20150810 011

Same pose next to the gold standard in awesome Gerwalk Toys. The VF-1 can get the same kind of pose.

I was going for a dynamic walking pose.

The Yamato VF-19 really made Gerwalk better, and then Arcadia applied those lessons to the YF-19, and made some other improvements. Then this toy came along, and made some more little changes, and in some regards made it better. I like the way the spine works on this toy much better than the Yamato/Arcadia toys triple hinge. I love the amount of die cast this toy has, and the fact that Bandai went above and beyond with their design and engineering.

Was about to ask if $265 from Amazon was a good price. That HLJ link leads to discontinued. Is it that fast from yesterday?

Despite some of the Issues that have been talked about here, this really is a fantastic toy. It is easily may favorite. It's less than half what an arcadia goes for, you get more with this toy, and though the transformation is complex, I actually love the level of detail that this toy has. I paid 266 shipped through amazon, and I'm quite happy with it.

Very nice! This toy has got to be the most dynamic Y/V-19 toy I've ever seen. I don't even think arcadia's offering is anywhere close (I don't have one to compare, since it would cost me almost three times what this one did).

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

I'm voting that the VF-19 Advance's worst mode is Gerwalk :lol:. I think the battroid mode is it's strongest mode, has a ton of potential for very dynamic poses, I put fighter second.

Back to Gerwalk, I think I would have preferred a swivel joint on the thigh area for a better "A" stance, even though I don't really prefer the 19's in Gerwalk.

I agree that Battroid is the strongest mode, fighter the second, and gerwalk third. I think though that in comparison to other attempts at the YF-19 styled toys, it has the strongest of all three modes (minus super parts). I would definitely take this over the Arcadia. Obviously because it's expensive and harder to get, but also because of how Bandai executed the transformation just looks so much better than the arcadia, which is very similar to the way my Yamato VF-19F transforms.

I think Bandai nailed it. I'd still love to have an Arcadia, and an original Yamato 1/72 (v2 because of that damned tab a), just to have the progression in my collection, but this toy is a ton of fun. I really like where they put the leg swivel, it's at the top of the gerwalk joint, which lets you get some really nice poses, but a second swivel at the knee or mid thigh might have been a good inclusion as well, to really get some good aggressive poses.

There is certainly room for improvement, but this seems to be the best execution to date.

Gerwalk mode is almost always the weakest mode, mainly because it basically is a half-assed transformation (exception is the VB-6 Monster). If I remember correctly, valkyries weren't originally designed to have this "inbetween" mode, but since it was shown to have some benefits (speed and ability to use manipulators), they decided to keep it as a 3rd mode.

The Y/VF-19 though probably has one of the weakest Gerwalk modes of all, mainly because of how the arms come out. Another ugly one IMO is the VF-17 with its wings just hanging off the back looking so frail.

I would say the VF-4's Gerwalk looks ugly too. But then again so does its Battroid. Personally I think it only looks good in Fighter.

All I was saying is that while yes gerwalk is traditionally the weakest mode of any valkyrie, and that the VF-19's is the weakest of all of them, this toy manages the strongest implementation of that mode than any other 19 toy. So the Strongest of the weakest.

I was just amazed at what you could do with it. As my Yamato 1/60 YF-19 will fall to rubble if you look at it funny, and my Yamato VF-19F lacks the simple grace of the YF-19 design. That, and the VF-19 advance is a lot less scary to transform, that VF-19F gerwalk joint is so stiff that I'm always afraid I'll break it, the shoulders pose their own problems with that locking mechanism.

Yeah I would agree that the VF-19Advance has the best Gerwalk among the other Y/VF-19s in this scale. What really kills the Yamato/Arcadia versions are the crap ankles.

I wonder if anyone will ever decide to place 2 swivel points at the leg. One at the thigh and another at the knee. Doesn't look too hard to implement.

Yeah I would agree that the VF-19Advance has the best Gerwalk among the other Y/VF-19s in this scale. What really kills the Yamato/Arcadia versions are the crap ankles.

I wonder if anyone will ever decide to place 2 swivel points at the leg. One at the thigh and another at the knee. Doesn't look too hard to implement.

Not too hard, but it could complicate transformation, by making it more fiddly.

any option it will be welcome

Here's the best I could do today with a very shoddy setup and lighting. If anyone has Illustrator skills, this could be cleaned up a lot. And yes, that's as rough as those little lines really are.

The measurements, using a very rough ruler are 7.5mm x 3mm. If I were using my micrometer (which isn't here) I'm sure I could get more accurate dimensions. Bear in mind, the 3mm does not include the little red and yellow items sticking up above the console.

(click for 1600px wide version)

IMG_0106.JPG

The "backseat" console is this one:

IMG_0105.JPG

And by backseat, I really do mean that the instructions on the Hasegawa kit call for it being mounted on the back console, facing the front. It must be part of the "see through the cockpit/virtual setup" that the YF-19 was all about. Anyway, I don't plan to use it because I don't think it's very visible.