Bandai VF-19 Advance....!!!

Scream Man

I doesn't really bother me that you can see a bit of it in fighter mode. I think it is mostly a battroid mode perk, but it's worth it to me I guess. That tiny bit of extra detail makes the head look better to me.

Just having a glance over at my VF-19 in fighter mode I's say it definitely would be visible.. heck I didn't think of that..

I think I'll still give em a go. I'll only be sticking them on to the one i have in battroid which won't ever be transformed back to fighter anyways..

Well there you go, problem solved ;)

QOXDlEC.jpg

Others may have already noticed this before, but every time I see this shot, I really think that the wing boosters on the VF-19 were just hastily added on and not designed to be part of it. In fact, I think they just fastened on VF-25 boosters onto it. I say this because of the gap between the edge of the wing and the booster (encircled in red). If these boosters were really made for the VF-19, then there shouldn't be a gap that big (like in the toy).

Others may have already noticed this before, but every time I see this shot, I really think that the wing boosters on the VF-19 were just hastily added on and not designed to be part of it. In fact, I think they just fastened on VF-25 boosters onto it. I say this because of the gap between the edge of the wing and the booster (encircled in red). If these boosters were really made for the VF-19, then there shouldn't be a gap that big (like in the toy).

I always thought they were VF-25 Super Boosters *(well, remodelled ones anyway).

I thought it was obvious that the VF-19 cameo was just a ploy to allow Bandai to get their hands on the YF-19 license without dealing with Arcadia. :D

It was after all a much celebrated but pointless cameo. Just to show that Isamu was still piloting in his 40s?

Edited by neoexcaliber

I like the idea that, in-universe, they just tried bolting the VF-25 boosters to other toys because they liked them and they worked well. My understanding was that Bandai was actually of the impression that the license had reverted to BigWest after Yamato bellied-up.I think though the second line nails it. It was a brief cameo that got people excited and talking about it so well worth it for no other reason than to promote the movie.

QOXDlEC.jpg

It would seem that the animators just used the model directly from the VF-25 rather than make a new model for the VF-19..

Does there have to be a reason? The VF-19 is just cool, and especially the YF style ones. I'm just glad that Bandai made it, as I intend to get one as soon as I get paid (If they can still be had by then). The Yamato VF-19F and the Yamato YF-19 I have, just aren't scratching the itch... Not to mention that my recent experience with Bandai's Frontier toys has been very positive.

Makes sense. They probably didn't want to devote too much funds for a brief cameo.

They did this throughout the series and movies, and possibly even in the games. Once a model is built and rigged for animation, it's relatively much simpler to do a quick copy/paste of components than it is to design and rig a new model. That also might be related to why some of the toy releases were relatively sloppy, like the super parts for the VF-27. It's really easy to slap a few extra polygons on a model to look cool, but re-creating that in real life might not work as well as you'd hope.

Given the length of the cameo though, I wouldn't even bet that Isamu's plane had any moving parts at all.

What is funny to me though is that the Arcadia YF-19 with the T-Rex parts is much more screen-accurate than Bandai's toy. :lol: Bandai took some liberties with the toy that aren't all bad, but it makes me wonder how much of that was done specifically to differentiate themselves from Arcadia's YF-19.

It also makes me want to explore the idea of making some screen-accurate shoulder packs for the VF-19 Advance. :)

What is funny to me though is that the Arcadia YF-19 with the T-Rex parts is much more screen-accurate than Bandai's toy. :lol: Bandai took some liberties with the toy that aren't all bad, but it makes me wonder how much of that was done specifically to differentiate themselves from Arcadia's YF-19.

It also makes me want to explore the idea of making some screen-accurate shoulder packs for the VF-19 Advance. :)

Just curious, but what specifically, it's not going to stop me from buying one, but I'd just like to know.

irc, the only thing the T-rex parts and Bandai differs (in significant way) are the additional shoulder armor/missile launcher. Since the VF-19 Advance is retrofitted with Frontier style parts, everyone really assumed that the additional shoulder parts is a missile launcher.

you can check the first page here for photos

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/?showtopic=41311

Can anyone explain why the VF-19A more closely resembles a YF-19 than the VF-19's as shown in M7?

Because supposedly, in universe, Isamu Dyson requested it to be done as such.

Wasnt there a vf-19a (not advance) that was pretty much a blue yf-19?

Yeah, but I imagine saving Macross city from Sharon Apple gave him more than enough clout to get a revamped, repainted, and altered variant :p

vf-19a-fighter.gif

irc, the only thing the T-rex parts and Bandai differs (in significant way) are the additional shoulder armor/missile launcher. Since the VF-19 Advance is retrofitted with Frontier style parts, everyone really assumed that the additional shoulder parts is a missile launcher.

you can check the first page here for photos

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/?showtopic=41311

I forgot about how the t-rex parts had the shoulder missiles. I think i like the T-Rex interpretation better.

I'm just going to imagine that the VF-19 advance is a VF-19A hero custom (which I think is a pretty safe assumption). Also the M7 VF-19's are a later models, optimized for space combat. IIRC the VF-19A,B,C,&D all closely resembled the original prototype, while the E,F,&S departed more from the original, for ease of manufacture (I don't know how true all of this is, most of it is probably conjecture and stuff cobbled together from various sources).

VF-19Advance = VF-19A with updated technology and some simplified components.

I am just pointing out the difference, for the 5 or so seconds of the VF-19 airtime, I would say the toy released by Bandai is Screen Accurate and more ;)

That's all I really mean actually, the "and more" part. The VF-19 cameo looked pretty much just like the Arcadia YF-19, with SMS markings in place of the kites.

The Bandai one though? Is covered in markings and details that they didn't bother to animate for the movie, and has a few significant differences from it. Mainly, the shoulder packs are a completely different shape than the movie showed, and while the movie one had the standard YF-19 head/shield/cover section, Bandai decided to remodel it to cover the entire head (which I still find myself tempted to remove just because it's such a stupidly superfluous feature).

Edited by Chronocidal

None so far. I did accidentally loosen one of my metal wing hinges, but that was own my fault for pulling too hard. I think if I did the same thing to the Arcadia YF-19 I might've snapped that one off since their bar is thinner.

Overall I think it's built pretty well.

if its the joint im thinking of then it was advisable to slightly loosen the screw either side to allow the leg joints to move a little easier.

I accidentally pulled the leg hip hing too hard (due to the known issue of one side being way too stiff) and scraped some of the plastic behind it so it the leg now moves back more than it should... Probably should've tried to loosen that leg a little.

Thanks guys! Overall the reviews make it out to be a far superior toy to my Yamato YF-19, so I'm definitely getting this!

/edit/ I just placed my order, and I should be seeing it in a few weeks if not sooner, as it's coming from Japan.

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

Reposting my answer to Valkyrie Driver over at the FAQ thread:

I think this is better to be discussed in the VF-19 Advance thread since this is related to that specific valk. But to answer your question, I remember seeing a Japanese blogger who ordered a spare Canard to fix his set. Not sure what happened but based on the photo he shown it's more like the canard got snapped from the rotating peg. The other thing to notice is the swing metal bar. It might get loose in time and since it's tight at first, pulling the wing out from Battroid mode is kinda scary since it's too tight. And always watch out for those torso vulcans since it pops off from the railing a lot. And watch out also for the head antennae.

Let's wait for others what they can say about it. But if you re-check the VF-19 Advance thread, a lot of people already posted there what they see as a durability issue. Hope that helps.