F' ing earthquake...

Druna Skass

I'm glad to say that NOT that many people were hurt (unfortunately it seems that two people have died from the quake). :(

I guess I was sleeping through the quake because I don't remember any shaking going on (quite sad huh folks).

My collection could have jacked me. :blink:

Scientific info:

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/...nc40148755.html

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsUS/Qua.../nc40148755.htm

News: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americ...sp?story=475710

I didn't feel it, but I did feel one last week that was centered in Oakland. (I'm in Berkeley.)

Regarding the original question, these seem like good ideas:

http://www.win.org/county/depts/ema/equake...es/sccgeq04.htm

One of the most powerful earthquakes of all time happened south of St. Louis. (Made the Mississippi flow backwards)

http://www.system.missouri.edu/upress/spri...996/bagnall.htm

http://hsv.com/genlintr/newmadrd/

Midwest--far, far fewer quakes, but when they hit, they're big.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Most California Home Depot's stock stuff in the cabinet knob/nuts-n-bolt's section for earthquake proofing your home goodies, including display case items.

I was surprised to see these products, like stick gel for the underside of figurines & velcro add-ons and straps for furniture,etc.

Ask around.

I slept through it. This makes about the 4th one I've slept through, 2 on the east coast & one in Japan.

Most California Home Depot's stock stuff in the cabinet knob/nuts-n-bolt's section for earthquake proofing your home goodies, including display case items.

I was surprised to see these products, like stick gel for the underside of figurines & velcro add-ons and straps for furniture,etc.

Ask around.

I slept through it. This makes about the 4th one I've slept through, 2 on the east coast & one in Japan.

Yeah, It's called quake hold. I use it for any toy that might take a tumble due to a quake.

i hope everyone's okay.

move to Texas, warm as hell, but no earthquakes!!

Bah, I'll never leave Cali. one big quake every seven to ten years is nuthin'. ;)

anything under a 5.0 is a baby quake. :lol:

Today's quake was a roller, It literally made people at my job sea sick because of the rolling motion. :blink:

i hope everyone's okay.

move to Texas, warm as hell, but no earthquakes!!

Bah, I'll never leave Cali. one big quake every seven to ten years is nuthin'. ;)

anything under a 5.0 is a baby quake. :lol:

Today's quake was a roller, It literally made people at my job sea sick because of the rolling motion. :blink:

wow sea sick? But how long did it last?

They said on radio it was 6.5 quake

I was sound (REM)asleep ;)

85% of my stuff is boxed up, so I'm not really worried about an earthquake.

Someone suggested living in Texas? hell no! I was there for 6 months at Fort Sam Houston near San Antonio, and I hated it there. It's hot, humid, mosquitos, and cockroaches the size of your thumb. I haven't seen roaches like that since the Philippines. I had to wake up 5 in the morning and run 2 miles under 15 minutes 3 times a week over there. I was miserable.

I'll take my chances with a Loma Prieta type earthquake anyday than live somewhere where a TORNADO destroys everything in sight.

Edited by 91WhiskeyM6

I saw it on the news this morning, didn't feel a thing though (I'm just outside Sacramento, so too far away I guess...). Sucks that some of us MW'ers had our collections thrown around, but it seems liek the quake was fairly harmless and no real damage was done... and that's a good thing.

Makes me think about how people from the east coast and midwest always tell me about how dangerous they think California is because of earthquakes, but that's a real exaggeration. I've lived here for almost 20 years and only felt one or two earthquakes (small ones). I guess it helps that I don't live in the Bay Area (though I lived in Northridge for a year and a half) but seriously, California's earthquakes are overrated.

Er... Except the big ones, but those are pretty damn uncommon.

wow sea sick? But how long did it last?

They said on radio it was 6.5 quake

It lasted for a good 35 to 50 seconds, maybe a little longer, it was a 6.5 which did rattle my nerves a little. :unsure: , I'm just so used to these things that anything under a 5.0 doesn't bug me anymore.

Yeah, I live in Michigan. The worst thing that happened here was about 8 yrs agao we had a small tornado and I lost my garbage cans and had to put back some siding on my moms house. Other than that, nothing. Guess its a california girls kinda thing?

All the expensive stuff I have are in cuiro cabinets or in books shelves with closing doors on them.  They might fall down but at least they will not hit the floor.  You can even get a small one to put next to your desk. 

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teckmanfs/pi...top%203%20o.jpg

And that SDF-1 Macross at the top of the shelf is not valuable?

/me faints

:D

I need to call home and check on my family and my car.

Pat S, 3S-GTE owner? :D

Edited by Neova

Someone suggested living in Texas? hell no! I was there for 6 months at Fort Sam Houston near San Antonio, and I hated it there. It's hot, humid, mosquitos, and cockroaches the size of your thumb. I haven't seen roaches like that since the Philippines.

You know, the Philippines was the first place I though of when I got out of the air conditioned air port in San Antonio, I felt like I did when I got out of the Manila airport, "It's F'ing hot and sticky here!"

And yeah, for the most part earthquakes here are over rated, I mean unless your at the epicenter, or a really big one it's more a nuisance or a pain in the ass than anything. It just knocked my collection over, but my friend living just north of Santa Maria was closer to the epicenter and get her power knocked out. I'd rather live here than in Tornado Ally.

For the mean time I was thinking I just keep the empty boxes on the floor by where my collection is to break the fall of who ever goes over the edge, since I'm kind of broke right now to buy one of those cases or building materials. And I don't keep them too high off the ground.

Edited by Druna Skass

All of you are wussies. Try living near a volcano. You don't know when it will explode. I live in the Seattle area... actual closer to Mt Rainer. Yes, I have been thru an earthquake. We had one 2 years ago. I was working near the Space Needle. You can hear that thing rattle.

I was sound (REM)asleep ;)

85% of my stuff is boxed up, so I'm not really worried about an earthquake.

Someone suggested living in Texas? hell no! I was there for 6 months at Fort Sam Houston near San Antonio, and I hated it there. It's hot, humid, mosquitos, and cockroaches the size of your thumb. I haven't seen roaches like that since the Philippines. I had to wake up 5 in the morning and run 2 miles under 15 minutes 3 times a week over there. I was miserable.

I'll take my chances with a Loma Prieta type earthquake anyday than live somewhere where a TORNADO destroys everything in sight.

really? i don't live too far from Fort Sam. its beautiful here!!!

;):lol: