What's a good MF toy to start with?

Agent-GHQ

I guess my preference to the MF series and the color of the valks is the exact opposite of Agent-GHQ.

I prefer the black coloring. I am not fond of the pale green color scheme.

While I still like the original Macross series, I also like the MF series.

Different strokes for different folks yo!

I'm just rewatching Frontier, probably for the 4th time and some episodes such as episode 12, Fastest Delivery still send shivers down my spine, they are just so good. Graham

Ewwww YUCK!!! Maybe one day, Macross SDF-1 gets an anime update. Anything after is a parody!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvkJ1ISTfo&playnext=1&list=PLEFE55C6DE8675E5C&feature=results_main

I thought DYRL was a pretty boring movie, but that didn't stop me from getting my grubby paws on an SDF-1. And I like the movie valk colors more than the TV series. :)

How is it boring? Was it not enough action scene, plot, character?

In short, the pale green -25's pilot is almost universally the least-liked pilot of the series, and probably epitomizes much of what you don't like in recent anime/Frontier. He's got a unique valk, but you'd actually probably like/want it less if you knew the pilot.

I just like to pretend that luca dies and gets replaced by someone more awesome.

I thought DYRL was a pretty boring movie, but that didn't stop me from getting my grubby paws on an SDF-1. And I like the movie valk colors more than the TV series. :)

Oof. Auto ban from the forums.

Thanks for the detail on these toys/ back story ShawnLee! I'll just wait for the 2nd released as you highly suggest. :rolleyes:

Ya just to clarify, the renewal is only for the old VF-25 valks, there is no renewal for new ones like the VF171EX/ CF or YF29. Although, i like most people are hoping for a renewal for the old VF27s, Koenig Monster and Macross Quarter!

Ya just to clarify, the renewal is only for the old VF-25 valks, there is no renewal for new ones like the VF171EX/ CF or YF29. Although, i like most people are hoping for a renewal for the old VF27s, Koenig Monster and Macross Quarter!

I can see why they would want to renew the Quarter (movie colours I guess), but was there a need for a Koenig Monster renewal?

Nah, Koenig Monster was pretty damn awesome as-is. I'd probably still get a renewal anyway because things can always be improved :wub:

Edited by xrentonx

My ratings of the various Macross animes:

Zero 8/10

SDF 8/10

DYRL 10/10

Flashback 3/10

Macross II 7/10

Macross Plus 10/10

Macross 7 9/10

Macross 7 additional stuff 8/10

Macross F 9/10

False Songstress 9/10

Wings 9/10

FB7 Not seen yet, so can't rate.

Graham

Have a sudden desire to buy the Badai Konig, as never owned one.Graham

Nah, Koenig Monster was pretty damn awesome as-is. I'd probably still get a renewal anyway because things can always be improved :wub:

It had no landing gear!

I don't need a VF-6 Renewal but a reissue of the old mold would be awesome.

Also I can't see Bandai doing a Quarter Renewal because the last iteration seemed not have been sold very well. But nonetheless I would love to see a new Quarter that locks together tight in Carrier mode and has a vibrant paint job because the current Quarter looks kinda drab.

As for a good Frontier Valkyrie to start with I would recommend any of the VF-25 Renewals because they are the main VF-type in the show. If you cannot stand MF just choose the one with your favorite color scheme.

If you're a fan of the add-on packs and you want one on your VF-25 be aware that the Armored Packs (the bulkier add-ons) are and will only be release for Alto (the white plane with black and red markings) and Ozma (the gray plane with yellow and black markings). The Super Parts are only available for Alto and Ozma but should be releases for the other two VF-25s (the blue and the pale green one) in the future.

As a side note. I can't understand how you can judge Macross Frontier from the first 15 Minutes because there it's mostly High School drama and no Valkyrie action. It is a good show but some episodes are hard to watch if you can't stand some of the more "popular" themes in current Anime. Plus it can't rival my love for M7 (and Plus :p).

Edited by Scyla

I think the VF-171CF is a good starting point, as none of the MacF main chars stained it. :p I too am not really bothered with the shows - I mean 2/3 of my entire collection is from Mac7 of which I gave up after 12 episodes and went to punch some kittens.

MacF is ok, just wish they delete every scene with either Ranka or Lucca in it and it'll be much improved. > :)

Edited by raptormesh

Ranka is one of the only characters I actually liked. Sheryl is just another boring tsundere character. She at least gets some development, but not until more than halfway through the series.

Lucas is just a tool. He should've been a Kakizaki-style death.

Ranka is one of the only characters I actually liked. Sheryl is just another boring tsundere character. She at least gets some development, but not until more than halfway through the series.

Lucas is just a tool. He should've been a Kakizaki-style death.

Her moving hair annoys me to no end.

Different strokes for different folks yo!

Ewwww YUCK!!! Maybe one day, Macross SDF-1 gets an anime update. Anything after is a parody!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvkJ1ISTfo&playnext=1&list=PLEFE55C6DE8675E5C&feature=results_main

How is it boring? Was it not enough action scene, plot, character?

I'd go further, I think the direction/pacing/editing/etc... of DYRL is absolutely terrible. I went back to try to watch it again a few weeks ago. It's not done well. And then anything past that is already trapped in anime trope, which I don't care for, and I feel ruins almost 99% of concept/story/etc... the Japanese come up with.

For me, Macross Plus was my "re-awakening" to the Macross universe, and remains my all-time favorite. My only childhood memories of these "triple-forming jets" and purple giants was from Robotech. It was only after watching MacPlus in my college years that I realized Robotech was derived from a Japanese anime with a much larger franchise and continuity.

So yeah, I'd recommend MacPlus Valks as a starting point, if you can still find any out there. There are only three to collect, and all three are IMO some of the most unique designs in the Macross universe.

Her moving hair annoys me to no end.

I'm probably ont the first one to point this out, but her VA's voice doesn't seem to fit her looks. Too mature for a pint-sized little girl.

For me, Macross Plus was my "re-awakening" to the Macross universe, and remains my all-time favorite. My only childhood memories of these "triple-forming jets" and purple giants was from Robotech. It was only after watching MacPlus in my college years that I realized Robotech was derived from a Japanese anime with a much larger franchise and continuity.

So yeah, I'd recommend MacPlus Valks as a starting point, if you can still find any out there. There are only three to collect, and all three are IMO some of the most unique designs in the Macross universe.

I'm probably ont the first one to point this out, but her VA's voice doesn't seem to fit her looks. Too mature for a pint-sized little girl.

If he were to get a MacPlus Valk the only one I would recommend is the 11B. That one holds up the best. The YF-19 is a floppy mess and the 21 is okay but the knee joints are frustrating to pose and it's hard to transform for a lot of people. The 11B is the only one of the three that is decent for posing/transforming/not randomly breaking/and still available at this point.

I think the best varying Macross line to collect would be M7 there you have:

VF-19Kai which is as close to a updated YF-19 you can get, the VF-19P would be a closer match due to the leg fins and color scheme but is not in the main show so I prefer the Kai

VF-19S without canards and stubby wings

VF-17S Gamlin Type

VF-11C cannon fodder

VF-1J Miria Type

VF-22S Max Type

So you get five different types of Valkyries all with a different transformation scheme. In Macross Frontier you only get two transformation schemes (the VF-25/27/YF-29 and the VF-171).

The only down side for me is the fact that the VF-19 toys are cast in a glossy plastic and don't fit in very well with the other Valkyries. Also if you like to display your VFs in Battroid-Mode the VF-19 looks a little bit small compared to the VF-22S and the VF-17S.

VF-19Kai which is as close to a updated YF-19 you can get, the VF-19P would be a closer match due to the leg fins and color scheme but is not in the main show so I prefer the Kai

VF-17S Gamlin Type

VF-11C cannon fodder

VF-1J Miria Type

VF-22S Max Type

So you get five different types of Valkyries all with a different transformation scheme. In Macross Frontier you only get two transformation schemes (the VF-25/27/YF-29 and the VF-171).

The only down side for me is the fact that the VF-19 toys are cast in a glossy plastic and don't fit in very well with the other Valkyries. Also if you like to display your VFs in Battroid-Mode the VF-19 looks a little bit small compared to the VF-22S and the VF-17S.

While Milia's 1J appeared in the show there's never been a toy produced that looked exactly like that scheme as it was painted slightly different, plus pretending the SDFM one is also the M7 one wouldn't work because it's next to impossible finding that particular toy these days. That goes for the 11C as well, impossible to find these days except at +500% mark up.

Off topic, but since it's Grahams favorite toy/Valk I thought I'd ask can you actually transform the VF-17 so that the chest piece sits flush against the cockpit in fighter? I've tried everything and there's always a bit of a gap and the chest piece is slightly raised.

True but I wrote that post with no limitations in funding and availability in mind. If the SDFM VF-1J is to far off you could always customize one with a VF-1J kit. If you know the right people and/or have enough money you can get a pretty good result.

But since the shutdown of Yamato these thoughts are pretty silly because right now rule #1 is: buy what you can still get.

I would love to have a Yamato Mcaross Plus collection with an updated YF-19. :)

I'd go further, I think the direction/pacing/editing/etc... of DYRL is absolutely terrible. I went back to try to watch it again a few weeks ago. It's not done well. And then anything past that is already trapped in anime trope, which I don't care for, and I feel ruins almost 99% of concept/story/etc... the Japanese come up with.

I thought the pacing and direction was a good and well balanced!

DYRL = best anime movie ever IMO.

Graham

I totally agree! I just can't get enough of that DYRL but then again that's the anime I grew up watching as a kid back in '84!

VF-17S Gamlin Type

VF-11C cannon fodder

VF-1J Miria Type

VF-22S Max Type

I would say the VF19 Kai and 19s are quite the same, others i would agree with you therefore bringing the total to 5 types of valks. However i would still prefer macross frontier coz:

1. They have 5 types of valks (VF25s, VF27, YF29, VF171 and the Koenig Monster) Although some may have similar transformation, i still love it based on the visual gratification it provides :D

2. They have the battleship Macross Quarter

3. They have add-on!! Just like McD's super size me haha!!

4. I totally love Macross Frontier!! The visual, the valks, the story and the song choice (Diamond Crevasse, Northern Cross, Anata no Oto) totally clicks with me!! Haha quite visible from the fact that i m letting go of my whole macross collection except MF!

Honestly, the CF 171 is a good bet if he can find one (since this topic was about Frontier Valks even though we went off the deep end about the other series toys.) The transformation can be a bit of a pain, closing that chest piece going back to Gerwalk/Fighter is troublesome for me personally, but overall it isn't that bad and it poses/looks great in all three modes plus it has armor expansions and is a unique color/shape.

Actually this is the one and only MacF valk everybody needs:

GOUqZWm.jpg

C'mon Arcadia do us a solid!

Incidentally, I love the MacF movies way more than DYRL(!) and the MacF series. Still friggin' tear up.

Edited by raptormesh

Off topic, but since it's Grahams favorite toy/Valk I thought I'd ask can you actually transform the VF-17 so that the chest piece sits flush against the cockpit in fighter? I've tried everything and there's always a bit of a gap and the chest piece is slightly raised.

The chest piece sits flush on my VF-17s but I can't avoid having a little bit of a gap between the cockpit and the chest piece.