Is the Bandai Macross Quarter really that terrible?

Magnus

I've gotten bitten with Macross-class ship fever. Since there are no 1/3000 Yamato Sdf-1's to be found anywhere on the planet, I've started seriously considering buying the Macross Quarter instead.

However I've read some pretty critical reviews of it. So I ask you, should I take the plunge and buy it or wait a few years for an actual Sdf-1 to surface again?

I really wish they would do a renewal of this one. The current one isn't all terrible but it could be waaaay better. Reviews show it to be really floppy and I'm not too keen on the way the color of the plastic looks in many pictures.

i got one during the previous HLJ sale where it was almost 40-50 % off I think, but haven't gotten around to playing with it. I did hear about its terrible floppy arm (too weak to hold up without the stand).

Is it articulate enough to go into that semi Gerwalk mode as seen in the movies?

I think it's a great toy in battroid mode. It requires a stand in cruiser mode but I don't 'woosh' around my SDF-1 toy either.

I agree. It's a wonderful looking toy in storm attack mode. Although I think it looks a bit silly in cruiser mode. I much prefer the Macross and the NMC's in their respective ship modes.

It does look a little plain out of the box though as it seems to be missing some paint application.

I had to add some paint touch ups to mine to make it more outstanding.

i got one during the previous HLJ sale where it was almost 40-50 % off I think, but haven't gotten around to playing with it. I did hear about its terrible floppy arm (too weak to hold up without the stand).

Is it articulate enough to go into that semi Gerwalk mode as seen in the movies?

It is and it comes with stands to support it in that mode if I recall.

I agree. It's a wonderful looking toy in storm attack mode. Although I think it looks a bit silly in cruiser mode. I much prefer the Macross and the NMC's in their respective ship modes.

It does look a little plain out of the box though as it seems to be missing some paint application.

I had to add some paint touch ups to mine to make it more outstanding.

It is and it comes with stands to support it in that mode if I recall.

Awesome, thanks.

Will display this along with my other Valk collection once my new home is set up

I hope you don't mean the collectiondx review? Those guys are pretty clueless and fat fingered when it comes to macross....or any high end tranforming toy. They know like 70s robots and Star wars. Beyond that .... don't trust josh or adams reviews on any toy that requires some finesse haha

They also give glowing reviews to anything they get for free, buyer be damned. If they have to spend money they are much more harsh.

Stick to anymoon.com for intelligent macross reviews :)

Edited by Gakken85

I hope you don't mean the collectiondx review? Those guys are pretty clueless and fat fingered when it comes to macross....or any high end tranforming toy. They know like 70s robots and Star wars. Beyond that .... don't trust josh or adams reviews on any toy that requires some finesse haha

They also give glowing reviews to anything they get for free, buyer be damned. If they have to spend money they are much more harsh.

Errr... I hope VF5SS doesn't see this post.

Edit: And I really wouldn't call him clueless when it comes to Macross.

Edited by Reïvaj

Yeah, I've seen those reviews. I dunno, I've watched a lot of their reviews and they do give a lot of good critique compared to any of the other reviewers I've seen on youtube or anyplace else. I've never seen them give glowing reviews to anything that didn't deserve it. When they're harsh, it is also on products that deserve to be criticized harshly. I usually check out Veef from CollectionDX for Macross toy reviews first though.

They're not for everybody but I like them :)

Edited by xrentonx

Like mine. It's kind of floppy, because of its size and weight. Still, I think it's a decent toy.

Dammnit... I wanna break mine out so bad... but I can't at the moment...

I recalled somebody (probably from here) did a temporary fix by stuffing a thick wad of paper into the elbow, allowing the Quarter to hold the cannon up even in cruiser mode.

A few joints like in the shoulders and elbows on mine had gotten a bit loose, but I was able to re-tighten the screws on them to improve it to an acceptable degree. At least I can have it displayed in storm attack mode with the gunship and carrier deck sections lifted up without needing to resort to using stands to keep them up.

It doesn't look like it would be too hard to take it apart to apply super glue to tighten joints if so needed.

thanks buddy

Errr... I hope VF5SS doesn't see this post.

Edit: And I really wouldn't call him clueless when it comes to Macross.

I didn't.

If you read what I wrote it says when it comes to Josh or Atom be wary of macross reviews.

Most of the other reviewers are pretty skilled when it comes to transformation and understanding the toys. Yeah, the quarter is a little floppy, but that doesn't mean the toy is crap. I also feel he should be able to defend his reviews without attacking a whole community for calling him out.

Josh and Atom are just pretty dismissive of Macross in general and it's a little annoying.

I love collectionDX too, and there are a lot of good reviewers, so don't get me wrong. I also appreciate that they do a lot of work bringing reviews and such, but I think there is space for a show that focuses more on Macross, Bandai, ect. They spend sooo much time on toys like the walking dead, and neca junk.

I just roll my eyes a bit when they talki about "Moar diecast!", while totally ignoring the engineering of the piece.

A little reading goes a long way. haha

Edited by Gakken85

To be fair the Quarter was reviewed by Adam.

Why would you need to be fair? I mentioned that already. haha.

Scyla, you gotta read the whole post :ph34r: before you jump in like a ninja.

i have one and have yet to unbox it. doesn't come with all those scaled down mini mecha does it? i'm also wondering how well it can hold its arms up? can i pose it like that on a shelf and leave it like that for weeks?

It comes with all those miniature mechs AND a miniature Vajra.

I haven't opened mine, but the arms apparently don't stay up well due more to the weight of the cannon. But if you're displaying it in cruiser mode, the stand helps to keep it propped up.

I don't think so, as I mentioned in my original post and my other post, the other reviewers, including you, do a good job giving a fair expectation.

But Atom and Josh are the voice of the site, and it has an impact.

Collection DX is where I go to determine a buy or not..

I didn't find anything wrong with the review on the Quarter, I only bought it because it was on super clearance.

CDX is the first place I roll, before heading to YouTube.

Keep up the fantastic work Veef.

Yeah but you're still writing off a part of the website I put a lot of effort into.

How so?

I think Adam is writing off Macross fans. haha. That's pretty much all I've said and people are turning this into a "save collectiondx" thread.

You were only brought into this because somebody mentioned your name...somebody who wasn't me.

Anyway, I'm done with this line of discussion. I said my piece and I stand by it.

Edited by Gakken85