I live in a middle class area and have a middle class background, but I work in an area that is at a *very low* socio-economic level. I work with an increasing level of students with refugee backgrounds from Africa, Asia and Europe. I don't want to say too much more because the mods are going to lose it because we are going all political here but, trust me, I know what I am talking about when I say a large proportion of the upper class in my *city*, let alone country, couldn't give a stuff about the students I teach. In fact, the prejudice against refugees and lower socio-economic classes here goes all the way up to the current serving right-wing Prime Minister.

None of this does anything to save Elysium from being a crap movie.

Certainly enjoyed Elysium- the visuals were fantastic and the plot certainly better than some of the others around the same time.

"Classism" or not, many who are wealthy do live in a bubbled communities that avoid the poor- very evident in the film and certainly evident in countries around the world. Can't see how an extension on that idea could be considered so horrendously flawed to people here but yet some claim that Terminator 3 was fine when it goes against the very ideas of what the previous 2 movies stood for. But to each their own...

Not being from America, I can't say that I know all the ins and outs of whether or not the wealthy do enough for those around them, but from this Youtube clip, the idea of the rich doing little/nothing for those below them would seem possible. Seeing as there is a huge divide between rich and poor in America- we haven't even started on other countries that have rich and are even more unwilling to share. The idea of the movie where the rich do little to nothing for the vast poor is certainly not THAT unrealistic compared to other movies. Yes, the movie is a bit heavy handed with its views, but when you consider how one of the most antiquated/oldest democracies in the world operates, it's not hard to believe other countries with different views to fairness and freedoms can be more extreme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

Edited by Falcon

Not being from America, I can't say that I know all the ins and outs of whether or not the wealthy do enough for those around them, but from this Youtube clip, the idea of the rich doing little/nothing for those below them would seem possible.

The video has nothing to do with the topic at hand or anything you in the test of your post.

The number one supplier of humanitarian aid in the world is the "wealthy" United States. Many of the world's largest charitable organizations and driven by, supported, and/l contributed to by the wealthy. Certainly, this does not apply to all nations or cultures, but that's my point--you can't paint all people with one broad brush.

The video has nothing to do with the topic at hand or anything you in the test of your post.

The number one supplier of humanitarian aid in the world is the "wealthy" United States. Many of the world's largest charitable organizations and driven by, supported, and/l contributed to by the wealthy. Certainly, this does not apply to all nations or cultures, but that's my point--you can't paint all people with one broad brush.

They are also the number one supplier of arms to the rest of the world too, with most of them going to "developing" countries. Kind of balances out, doesn't it?

tumblr_liizxxk6if1qd65vgo1_500.gif

Watched this one last week. The villain sounded and acted like Taz, and the final brawl scene with the exo-armors was so dumb I couldn't believe it. But other than that this was quite an enjoyable action movie, I would't watch it again though. Lots of cool ideas just got lost along the way and it seems the film-makers chose the most crowd pleasing approach to this instead (that effin' moneymaking on the poor smuggler is finally a good guy, seriously??)

Worth a watch tough, the visuals alone and the potential of a great movie were there, too bad it went sour.

And the bad guys are french as usual... :lol:

I liked the robots

They are also the number one supplier of arms to the rest of the world too, with most of them going to "developing" countries. Kind of balances out, doesn't it

No, and again, totally irrelevant to the topic at hand and the movie.

Edited by Duke Togo

What-ever. You keep shifting the goal-posts and you don't know what you are talking about anyway.

Actually, I do, and my knowledge isn't clouded by prejudice. But again, nothing to do with this movie. You like it because it fits with your world view, I get it. Thankfully, I was raised to judge everyone individually, and not on some stereotype or generalized notion of who "they" are. And thus I think Elysium its poorly written crap.

Don't quite understand what the last part of the first sentence is on about but the video was relevant to what I was talking about how Elysium's taken an idea and expanded on it. It was certainly relevant to what I stated about the movie- you merely saying it isn't doesn't just magically make it so. :lol:

The US as a whole gave generously- over $316 billion a year. Fantastic and all but when you consider the top 1% of the wealthy own about 40% of the wealth of the US, it doesn't look that great as a percentage. That's not even factoring many people contributing to those donations may not be considered financially rich.

LINK:

http://www.philanthropy.iupui.edu/news/article/giving-usa-2013

Interesting to note that the US is not the number one country for donations and charities per person- Australia is.

LINK:

https://www.cafonline.org/media-office/press-releases/2012/1912-world-giving-index-2012.aspx

Like I said before, heavy handed as the view of movie showing the haves and the have-nots, it certainly isn't too far of a stretch to take the idea of the rich in ignoring the poor.I already said the US was one of the better countries out there and there are worse ones that actively segregate the rich from the poor.

Movies good and bad take an idea and go with it in a broad spectrum. Can't see how Elysium's view of a world where the rich for the most part ignore the plight of others below them would be such a huge reason why it's a bad movie. Movies like Terminator 3 took an idea and ran with it so poorly but some here liked it enough. You've made your opinion clear and the reasons why you didn't like it- I just disagree with the notion that this one expanded idea was what made it so bad. But to each their own. :D

That said, I do think District 9 was a better movie.

Don't quite understand what the last part of the first sentence is on about but the video was relevant to what I was talking about how Elysium's taken an idea and expanded on it. It was certainly relevant to what I stated about the movie- you merely saying it isn't doesn't just magically make it so. :lol:

It's called a typo, it happens when I post from my phone. And no, it doesn't magically make it so, but I am still right, as you go on to prove below...

The US as a whole gave generously- over $316 billion a year. Fantastic and all but when you consider the top 1% of the wealthy own about 40% of the wealth of the US, it doesn't look that great as a percentage. That's not even factoring many people contributing to those donations may not be considered financially rich.

LINK:http://www.philanthropy.iupui.edu/news/article/giving-usa-2013

Interesting to note that the US is not the number one country for donations and charities per person- Australia is.

LINK:https://www.cafonline.org/media-office/press-releases/2012/1912-world-giving-index-2012.aspx

I wasn't insinuating that ONLY the U.S. gave, but thanks for further proving my point.

Like I said before, heavy handed as the view of movie showing the haves and the have-nots, it certainly isn't too far of a stretch to take the idea of the rich in ignoring the poor.

Right, just like it isn't a strecth to say you have a fondness for sexualized pre-pubescent girls because you watch anime. Or that because there are a disproportional number of African Americans incarcerated in the U.S. that all African Americans are criminals. Shall I continue?

That said, I do think District 9 was a better movie.

And here we agree. :)

It's called a typo, it happens when I post from my phone. And no, it doesn't magically make it so, but I am still right, as you go on to prove below...

I wasn't insinuating that ONLY the U.S. gave, but thanks for further proving my point.

Right, just like it isn't a strecth to say you have a fondness for sexualized pre-pubescent girls because you watch anime. Or that because there are a disproportional number of African Americans incarcerated in the U.S. that all African Americans are criminals. Shall I continue?

And here we agree. :)

:D You can't read my posts well. Perhaps it's the myopic view that yours is right and others must therefore be wrong.

Clearly some posters are more like trolls when it comes to these things.

If you want to be pig headed about it all then by all means. You've been shown to have flawed ideas- but you're entitled to have them.

There is nothing flawed about judging people as individuals and as not part of a group.

And I read your posts just fine. I get it, some of you come from regions that view people of wealth as being inherently uncaring individuals. Your prejudices don't make you right.

The movie plays up classism and beats the audience over the head with a viewpoint that is based upon prejudice and not fact.

Edited by Duke Togo

This movie is classic haves, vs. have-nots. Its been done before MANY times.

Dr. Zhivago tells a historically accurate version of the haves vs the have-nots. Judging by the responses in this politically warped thread, you guys should watch that.

I am really tired of stories where the rich guy is the bad guy. Its just not the case.

You know, now that I think about it The Walking Dead ONLY shows Zombies as flesh eating monsters. I think the creators of the show should watch Warm Bodies to get examples of how Zombies can be good with a little love and over the clothes action. :wub:

Seriously, the movie did not say every single person of wealth, or means was a boogie-man. It was about mean-ass Jodie Foster and her power grab and how she used the (1) one example of an a-hole business owner to help achieve those means.

Some folks need to climb off of their high horses every now and again.

-b.

As luck (misfortune?) would have it, I re-watched this film yesterday and found it a lot less enjoyable than my initial viewing in the theatre. This time around the pedestrian script and the simplistic characters bothered me a lot more and as a result I couldn't enjoy the stronger elements of the film. I feel there was far more wasted potential on screen than actual worthwhile content to be found upon repeat viewing. I feel disappointed by the movie, especially as a follow up to District 9. This did not deliver on the promise of the films premise nor Blomkamp's potential. Not something I'll ever watch again. I am sad :(

I will say that at the very least, films like Elysium are good for starting a conversation about real world issues even if the film itself fails to tackle those issues in any new/significant way. Of course, any mature discussions having long since been banned at Macross World, this film being a discussion catalyst is functionally impotent on a board like this.

Honestly Mr. March I think the boards can support intelligent conversations re: the subject matter presented in the movie or on most other relevant subjects (relevant to the interests of those on this board). Admittedly anyone participating would have to walk a fine line to keep from breaking any rules, but it could be done.

I also admit that I've certainly participated in some contentious discussions about this, that or the other but I did so with a healthy respect for others opinions, even if I didn't agree with what, or how, they were being presented. And for the most part I feel that other members do as well.

I've only watched Elysium once, but will do so again since I own the Blu ray. I wasn't offended by anything presented in the movie, whether it was the story, acting, effects, etc. and I'm kind of floored at the debates around the film - but in the fact that it's being discussed at all says to me that the movie made folks feel some sort of way.

-b.

There is nothing flawed about judging people as individuals and as not part of a group.

And I read your posts just fine. I get it, some of you come from regions that view people of wealth as being inherently uncaring individuals. Your prejudices don't make you right.

The movie plays up classism and beats the audience over the head with a viewpoint that is based upon prejudice and not fact.

I like the irony- you claim that you only judge people as individuals yet you claim that people that put out a view about haves and have-nots are immediately are people with prejudices against the rich. You know little if anything about many of us on the board to make that accusation. Somewhat hypocritical. You talk about lack of facts but when others bring up a few you present none but dismiss theirs.

Ultimately people can like or dislike the movie; but showing with valid points that the movie took an idea and took it another step further isn't too unrealistic is worthy of further discussion with others on the board. If you don't feel like you can contribute further than dismiss others with glib responses because someone doesn't follow your train of thought then perhaps Kaneda's advice is best.

In a world where the US and large parts of Western Europe are the minority of the world population, who is to say that a world where the rich are more likely to ignore the poor isn't possible? Unlikely perhaps but still possible nonetheless.

Do hope Weta Workshop comes up with more movies. Love their visual styles.

Kruger was immediately entertaining. I enjoyed his barbecuing skills, and in particular the surgery he receives towards the end of the movie.

Interesting the detour this thread has taken. In the movie it was clear that only Jodie Fosters character would do anything to hold on to power. The others living on Elysium did not seem to actively want to antagonise the poor living on earth, they were just two quite separate worlds. In fact, let's remember that the council that Jodie's character reported to, did not condone her methods. Kruger was the real badass here - playing his own game for only power.

Whilst, if you think about it, the real hero of the story was Spider. Max only showed any form of heroicism at the very end, and even then his options were very limited. Spider for President!

Honestly Mr. March I think the boards can support intelligent conversations re: the subject matter presented in the movie or on most other relevant subjects (relevant to the interests of those on this board). Admittedly anyone participating would have to walk a fine line to keep from breaking any rules, but it could be done.

I also admit that I've certainly participated in some contentious discussions about this, that or the other but I did so with a healthy respect for others opinions, even if I didn't agree with what, or how, they were being presented. And for the most part I feel that other members do as well.

I've only watched Elysium once, but will do so again since I own the Blu ray. I wasn't offended by anything presented in the movie, whether it was the story, acting, effects, etc. and I'm kind of floored at the debates around the film - but in the fact that it's being discussed at all says to me that the movie made folks feel some sort of way.

-b.

Fair enough, but don't misunderstand. I wasn't criticizing our membership only being critical of the policies which prevent such discussions here.

Just saw it, what a mess of a movie. Was going to say more but will leave it at heavy handed political diatribe is the best way to describe the film. Think Star Trek at it's preachy worst and you have this film.

It did not help that I could not understand 90% of what the bad guy was saying.

The others living on Elysium did not seem to actively want to antagonise the poor living on earth, they were just two quite separate worlds.

One could argument that nothing says "F*ck you" to the rest of the world better than a gated community IN SPACE.

The space station could be a work of art, but juxtaposed with the situation below, it becomes an obscenity.