Kuidaore!

(Funny, you're reaction to Osaka is the same as mine about Tokyo. The only good thing there is Odaiba.)

I never hate Kansai, but am indifferent to the news of Kansai like the other Tokyo residents.

Kyoto and Kobe are good, but Osaka is...Hmmmmmmmm.

I lived in Kyoto for five years... Before that, Osaka for one year. Yeah, Osaka really didn't ever do that much for me. Although I did make a documentary about Nipponbashi several years back, I guess I should put that on Youtube.

Anyway, yes, Wolvie, rowr, snickt, canuckle-head, bub.

• 2 months later...

When I was in in Japan November, I saw him on a day-time variety show, talking about Wolverine and Les Miserables. If he's holding a sword, I just hope that he got a decent trainer. At least Tom Cruise looked like he got some sort of rudimentary training in Japanese style sword play. My pet peeve is seeing seeing a katana being used like a jian or dao (or vice-versa).

Edited by peter

My pet peeve is seeing seeing a katana being used like a jian or dao (or vice-versa).

That would depend on the choreoprapher. Now I'm by no means an expert in kendo, but one uses a katana in a very practical and economic way, unlike the almost dance-like moves of classical jian or dao arts. With that in mind, it would be a little difficult to create more flashy and impressive fight scenes if a choreographer were to stick to strictly kendo moves, especially for HK action choreographers. Of course, Jet Li style fighting wouldn't really go well with a character like Wolverine.

Just my two cents' worth.

I've done kenjutsu for many years - still a rank amateur though! Practice, application and entertainment are very different things. With fight choreography - you're just going for awesome looking moves. Usually the real sparring session fights I am involved with are over very, very quickly. This does not make for fun movies. I am very happy to watch an extended battle with crazy moves. Although I am 'spoilt' for these a little now. The tassels affixed to jian, and their lightness and flexibility make dance-like moves fun to watch, whereas anytime someone pulls out a katana I expect blood to be spurting within the next few seconds...

The tassels affixed to jian, and their lightness and flexibility make dance-like moves fun to watch, whereas anytime someone pulls out a katana I expect blood to be spurting within the next few seconds...

There won't be a lack of spilt blood with Wolverine as the main character.

One thing though; what would he need a katana for if he's got three adamantium claws in each hand? A katana's got better reach, but given his healing ability, getting up-close and personal shouldn't be an issue.

Oh man, another pet peeve of mine is the metal-on-metal grinding sound every time a sword is drawn. I'm not sure about real steel European swords, but a katana being drawn from a saya is metal on wood and there should be little or no sound. Our particular school of iai teaches absolute silence when the katana is drawn or replaced. Our school isn't paricularly flashy either so if it doesn't look boring, we're probably not doing it right, haha!

When I studied wiushu, the practice swords were all metal sword on wood sheath as well, no metal on metal, so when we took our swords out, no grinding sound. I got one of those Paul Chen practical broad swords just for $hits and giggles and the same thing, steel sword, wood sheath and little or no sound when drawn or replaced. I have no idea why Hollywood always has to insert that grinding sound.....maybe they'll get it right one day.

There won't be a lack of spilt blood with Wolverine as the main character. One thing though; what would he need a katana for if he's got three adamantium claws in each hand? A katana's got better reach, but given his healing ability, getting up-close and personal shouldn't be an issue.

If they are basing in the Wolverine Mini series from 1984 then that may be why. He has a duel with Marko's father to prove me is not just an animal...

Oh man, another pet peeve of mine is the metal-on-metal grinding sound every time a sword is drawn. I'm not sure about real steel European swords, but a katana being drawn from a saya is metal on wood and there should be little or no sound. Our particular school of iai teaches absolute silence when the katana is drawn or replaced. Our school isn't paricularly flashy either so if it doesn't look boring, we're probably not doing it right, haha!

When I studied wiushu, the practice swords were all metal sword on wood sheath as well, no metal on metal, so when we took our swords out, no grinding sound. I got one of those Paul Chen practical broad swords just for $hits and giggles and the same thing, steel sword, wood sheath and little or no sound when drawn or replaced. I have no idea why Hollywood always has to insert that grinding sound.....maybe they'll get it right one day.

IMO, the metal on metal sound is just for dramatic purposes. Japanese video games are even worse. Whenever there's a cutscene of someone in a Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors game using his/her weapon, it rattles when he/she moves the weapon. If a weapon actually made that sound in real life, the damn blade would probably fall off halfway through a strike.

Anyways, I don't think there's any sword, katana, jian or dao out there that uses a metal sheath. It adds unnecessary weight to the whole weapon when carrying it, and metal was very expensive in ancient times as well, so it wouldn't be used in such a superfluous way. Now I'm just guessing here, but using a metal sheath might also blunt the edge of the weapon from the constant grinding of metal on metal during sheathing and unsheathing.

If they are basing in the Wolverine Mini series from 1984 then that may be why. He has a duel with Marko's father to prove me is not just an animal...

I've never read the Wolverine comics, but that makes perfect sense.

Edited by GU-11

I thought part of this movie involved Silver Samurai, Mariko's brother. Unless they're merging the two different comics stories. They were separate events.

IMO, the metal on metal sound is just for dramatic purposes. Japanese video games are even worse. Whenever there's a cutscene of someone in a Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors game using his/her weapon, it rattles when he/she moves the weapon. If a weapon actually made that sound in real life, the damn blade would probably fall off halfway through a strike.

Anyways, I don't think there's any sword, katana, jian or dao out there that uses a metal sheath. It adds unnecessary weight to the whole weapon when carrying it, and metal was very expensive in ancient times as well, so it wouldn't be used in such a superfluous way. Now I'm just guessing here, but using a metal sheath might also blunt the edge of the weapon from the constant grinding of metal on metal during sheathing and unsheathing.

I've never read the Wolverine comics, but that makes perfect sense.

Yeah, you're right. I don't clearly recall, but is there that metal-on-metal sound when Wolverine's claws come out?

Yeah, you're right. I don't clearly recall, but is there that metal-on-metal sound when Wolverine's claws come out?

If I recall correctly, as far as the movies are concerned, it sounds like when you pull a kitchen knife out of a holder. It does sound vaguely metallic, but there's no "shwing" noise in the end, like you'd hear when a blade just leaves the sheath in some Hollywood movies. In the 90's cartoon series, though, it has that typical Hollywood metal-on-metal sound.

Depending on how graphically they depict it, I always thought the bood would "lubricate" the motion and muffle the sound (since he does "re-open the wound" every time he extends or retracts them)

Sometimes they seem to indicate he almost has "sheathes" for them in his hands that they neatly retract into (like cat claws or something)---other times it's much more gory, in that they simply force themselves out.

• 1 month later...

Not bad. Looks like this time we actually have some interesting character work and story here, rather than just the cliched crap of the last one. Even still, heavy skepticism is always on my mind. They're making these movies to cash in on a popular character, not necessarily because someone has a great idea for a film. I'll be waiting for word of mouth first.

Ninjas, high-tech, the bullet train, Shinjuku, and an assasin with a samurai sword...

The images of Japan has not changed so much after "You Only Live Twice."

The train scenes look like the Mission Impossible movie. The tower building looks like Nakatomi Plaza. The Shinjuku scene resembles that of Lost in Translation. Ninjas riding bikes came from Black Rain and that 007 movie about 50 years ago? The guy with sword looks like the enemy robot from Robocop 3.

Many movie scenes come to my mind...

Edited by antibiotictab

• 4 weeks later...