All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Sooo, PS4 in two days (as per rumors). Any thoughts?

I've grown up on playstation (never really had any nintendo stuff besides a wii, nor microsoft stuff besides a recent 360 purchase), and it feels like its grown up right beside me. The PS1 came out the year I was born, and I had one by the time I was starting kindergarten! I (parents) purchased the PS2 on launch day when I was in 2nd grade, and it careened me to my middle school years, exposing me to the wonders of Jak and Daxter, Rachet and Clank, gran turismo, spyro, kingdom hearts, final fantasy (well, this started with the PS1 for me :) ), and tons of other games that I still remember to this day.

The year I started middle school, the playstation 3 launched, and I once again purchased it on launch day. It's been with me the past 7 years, and I've accumulated dozens of games and lots of game time. Furthermore, it has yet to fail me with the yellow light of death (knock on wood). In the midst of all that, I bought a PSP and a Vita, the vita on launch day at that.

My experience with playstation prompted me to purchase a Sony Bravia, and tons of other stuff I probably don't need. Needless to say, much of my life has been defined by Sony, and definitely by playstation. Now, in college, the playstation 4 is likely upon us. I hope it's as good as I want it to be, bringing console gaming up at least to par with PC gaming.

Anybody else grow up with strong ties to playstation?

I remember getting my PS2 right before I deployed for my first time in late 2000. We played The Bouncer and Armored Core 2(?) in our down time. I also grew up on PS1. I loved playing Resident Evil, Final Fantasy 7, Beyond the Beyond, and Kings Field. Archer being as young as he is makes me feel like a greybush.

Edited by Benson13

My gaming relationship with Playstations is actually closely tied to the Final Fantasy franchise, believe it or not. The first video game I ever played was FF7 when I was in my teens (strict family, nuff said). It was a PC version, actually. Fell in love with the game, and with FF8 just released, I just couldn't wait for the PC version and scrounged up some allowance cash for a PS1.

By then the PS1 was fast aging, and the PS2 was just about to launch, but a 400 dollar console was just out of my budget.

A couple of years later and I finally got my first PS2, right before college. I was in gaming heaven with the library of games available; The Bouncer, Breath of Fire 4, FFX, Shadow of Memories, Way of the Samurai, Ace Combat 4, etc.

Fast forward a decade or so, and we come to the PS3. Great games and the reason I said goodbye to my trusty 28" CRT TV and bought a 32" Sony Bravia to make use of the PS3's HDMI capabilities. But as awesome as MGS4 and Valkyria Chronicles are, my best memories of gaming still belong to the 2000's when the PS2 reigned supreme.

And yeah, Benson. Hearing Archer's story makes me feel old too.

Edited by GU-11

I spent much of my childhood as a Sega kid and had an original Nintendo before that. (Till my parents sold it :( ) I didn't get the PS1 (still call it the PSX) until Xmas of 1998 along with FF7. I always had fun as a kid playing Road Rash and Sonic 2 but I found the library of games for the Playstation to be the most memorable for me in my teenage years. FF7, Metal Gear Solid, Legend of Dragoon, FF8, Syphon Filter, Ace Combat 3, Resident Evil 2 and Xenogears all made a big impression on me and still sit in my mind as some of the greatest games I've played, all coming from that same era. I got the money to pick up a PS2 in the early 2000s and was eagerly anticipating MGS2. Again, some outstanding games from this era console too in Ace Combat 4, Ico, MGS3, Shadow of the Colossus and ZOE 1 & 2.

Surprisingly, I've been rather unimpressed with the library for the PS3 aside from games such as the Uncharted series and the throwback games like Mortal Kombat. Maybe my view has been spoiled by the sea of generic FPS titles that have overloaded the current selection of titles.

Great stories everyone, mine is about the same so I'll spare you the details. Just gonna say that the PS1 was the first console I bought and I loved it to death.

Surprisingly, I've been rather unimpressed with the library for the PS3 aside from games such as the Uncharted series and the throwback games like Mortal Kombat. Maybe my view has been spoiled by the sea of generic FPS titles that have overloaded the current selection of titles.

It's funny you said that, a couple of buddies and me were discussing our favorite games the other day and they were mostly from the PS1 era. I can only come up with 3 games from this console generation that would possibly go on my list of favorites, Assassins Creed 2, Dead Space and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Dang, Archer, you're making me feel old! You can swap "PS2 on launch day" with "NES two years late", change "the year I started middle school" to "the year after I started middle school" and swap "PlayStation 3" with "SNES." Finally, replace the "4" with "2" in the "Now, in college" sentence and you've got something that's more accurate to me.

I get really nostalgic for the old NES days. I was (still am, really) a huge fan of Mega Man, I remember trying to shoot the dog in Duck Hunt, blowing in my cartridges when they wouldn't load right away, and being super psyched that the TMNT arcade game was coming to the NES. I skipped Sega's early consoles out of loyalty to Nintendo, but that loyalty faded away around the time the original PlayStation launched when I was in high school. By then, I had a job so I've actually owned every PlayStation, both Xboxes, and every Nintendo system. Plus a Dreamcast.

A lack of brand loyalty helped give me some perspective, I think. I was able to see some of the missteps Sony was making with the PS3 instead of blindly assuming it would dominate the way the PS2 did, and I didn't mind waiting for the price to drop. In fact, I haven't bought a console at launch at all since the Xbox 360 (which was the last one to release while I worked for Gamestop). Since my wife likes to watch TV in the evening, I've moved primarily into PC gaming.

So, will I buy a PS4? Probably. But I doubt it'll be at launch. I'll wait for either a game I really want that isn't on the PC, or a price drop.

Haha, sorry if I made you guys feel older! I thought most of you by now already figured out that I was pretty young. I signed up for this forum when I was still in High School! Also, I was pretty sure that there was another "kid" on this forum as well (SchizophrenicMC, or something of the sorts) who was about my age as well (albeit, I haven't seen in on this forum for a while).

As for Crysis 3, I heard it got fairly mediocre reviews, and I wasn't too big a fan of Crysis 2, so I think I'll stay away for now

Haha, sorry if I made you guys feel older! I thought most of you by now already figured out that I was pretty young. I signed up for this forum when I was still in High School! Also, I was pretty sure that there was another "kid" on this forum as well (SchizophrenicMC, or something of the sorts) who was about my age as well (albeit, I haven't seen in on this forum for a while).

As for Crysis 3, I heard it got fairly mediocre reviews, and I wasn't too big a fan of Crysis 2, so I think I'll stay away for now

damnit, I'm not that much older... (1990).

Anyways, I like Crysis 2 when It for like $30, and seeing as Crysis 3 is right between more exciting releases (DS3 just came out and by the time I'm slowing up with that bioshock infinity will be out) I'm waiting for a while to try it.

Just finished reading IGN's review of MGR. Is it just me or are these games getting annoyingly short? 4-6 hours in your first playthrough?! Seriously?

The gameplay is apparently very good, and repeat playthroughs are a must, so I guess that's sort of a consolation. Fall of Cybertron was lasted only 12-15 hours in my first playthrough, but I probably clocked more hours in repeat playthroughs than much longer games like Deus Ex - HR or even Valkyria Chronicles. This might just be the case with MGR.

Here's hoping my 200+ dollars (Malaysian currency, of course) will be well spent on this game.

I feel like a 4~6 hour single player campaign is only acceptable in games with really robust multiplayer content. CoD, halo and battlefield are fine being short since you end up logging 50~100 hours or more in multiplayer. For single player oriented games I expect 10~20 hours for a single Playthrough to feel like its worth it.

I disagree about single player. I personally want 30+ hours or I feel ripped off. Then again some would consider me a hardcore player that needs more than the average person.

Me, too, but FOC sort of changed my mind on that. I can't believe I'm still playing through the levels, even though I've probably repeated them over 10 times. Maybe that's just the magic of controlling transforming giant robots on an alien battlefield--it just doesn't get old.

TBH, I'm still decidng if I should get MGR, although I'm leaning far toward "yes." If the gameplay's as good as the reviews say, I might just have found my second FOC...just without the giant transforming robots and that alien battlefield.

Edited by GU-11

Just to take a break from PS4 talk....

Anybody try Crysis 3 yet? Saw a few of the walkthrough vids on Youtube and it unfortunately feels a lot like... Crysis 2.

I'm passing for now. I loved Crysis and Warhead, but Crysis 2 was pretty forgettable, and 3 is getting mediocre reviews. Plus, y'know, Origin. I'll wait until the price comes down.

In the meantime, I'm picking up FTL while it's half off in Steam's "runs on Linux!" sale.

I just found out something that might just sway me back into buying MGR. Apprently, producer Atsushi Inaba tweeted a response to the game's pathetically short play time, stating that the game only counts your fastest cleartime per playthrough, and does NOT include the time for cutscenes and "game over" replays.

I honestly don't know how much that adds to the purported 5.5 hour playtime, though. I'm guessing that'll make it a total of 8-10 hours of playtime, although there are extras like VR missions and unlockables to warrant several playthroughs.

Anyways, here's the link to the article.

Edited by GU-11

I disagree about single player. I personally want 30+ hours or I feel ripped off. Then again some would consider me a hardcore player that needs more than the average person.

all I know is that my first play through of DS2 was about 12 hours and I felt like it was a satisfyingly long game. Of course I did 3 full play-throughs before I accidentally overwrote my new game+ file.

I can't speak on the actual gameplay of the new Metal Gear game but as someone with very little time at home I'd prefer a 5-6 hour game with excellent game play to some thirty hour slog or nonsense multi-player.

This, mostly.

Don't get me wrong, there are games I've played where, when the end credits start to roll, I'm thinking, "Is that it?" Zone of the Enders 2 was probably the worst offender, with my first playthrough lasting around two and a half hours, and my second playthrough I completed in one sitting without saving.

There are other games, though that sort of wear out their welcome. As good as it was, by the time I reached the end of Borderlands 2's campaign, I was sick of it. The game could have ended 10 hours earlier and I'd have been happier.

I'd say for me, depending on the genre, 8-15 hours is good for all non-RPG games, and 20-40 for RPGs. Longer than that, and I'll probably get bored before I actually finish the game (ala Skyrim).

No voucher for me, either.

In other news, FTL is pretty hard! I've been playing on easy, and while I've made it to sector 8 twice, none of my brave crews even made it to the boss. I find the game strangely addictive, though.

No voucher here either.

Ion cannon thier weapons, use a transporter to beam over and assassinate the crew. Huge amount a salvage when you take a ship intact. That extra income makes the game much easier.

The starter Engi ship has a wonderful rapid fire Ion cannon.

I've been reading about people who've spent alot of money on the PS Store, had Playstation+ subscriptions and still didn't get the voucher and those who only joined in the last few months end up getting one. Sounds more like a random drawing to me which is a bit of a poke in the eye to those that didn't when they used the language "loyal" fans. Ohwell.

PS4 looks fairly solid so far!

Also, :o at kill zone shadowfall!

No price, no must-have games (if I got one, Infamous is the most-appealing game announced so far to me). I don't even know what the thing looks like yet! So I'm not exactly waiting in line to pre-order one.

Most of the PS4 announcements so far have just been noise. The one interesting thing announced so far is remote play on the Vita. The ability to play a game on the controller when my wife's watching TV is the thing that sold me on a Wii U (games owned to date: 1).

EDIT: OK, now that it's over, Sony really didn't tell us beans. PS4 for holiday 2013? No crap, Sony. Some games were announced, some of which we probably could have guessed were coming to PS4 anyway (Destiny, Watch Dogs), some of which were pleasant surprises (Infamous), and some of which are glorified tech demos at this point. Speaking of which, does the PS4 look better than the PS3, graphically? Of course it does. But I'm not seeing anything jaw dropping, or anything that really looks better than what a PC game with proper hi-res textures and DirectX 11 support can do. Oh, and Sony told us some specs, (x86 CPU, 8GB of RAM) that mean exactly nothing at this point. They're not even going to show us what the actual console looks like until E3, for crying out loud.

Really, the only news out of the whole shebang I found interesting is PlayStation Cloud and Remote Play on the Vita.

Edited by mikeszekely