All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

basically, the wiiU is a piece of crap and you have no one to blame but yourself for buying one.

WiiU isn't a total "piece of crap", the only problem is the Nintendo don't sells the console without Gamepad, and don't have a online system of achievements.

Because this, don't sell much, and the developers don't knows to use Gamepad or Controller ro in his games, when they make a port

I know WiiU don't have a strong base, but Like me, much WiiU users donate for this game.

And after they released, and a "no more WiiU port"

They replied it to a WiiU owner...

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/06/project-cars-dislikes-nintendo-users/

This is how a company that says it's serious that donated much for this game to be done?

If so, better to give to small studios which I know will honor his word.

What?

Finally took a step into the 21st century, and opened a PSN account. I bought the limited edition Arkham Knight game, thinking the extra Harley Quinn mission they advertized on the box was pre-installed in the disc, and that I only needed to go online and enter a code to unlock it. Turns out, it was a 1.2GB download.

And so, I spent over 6 hours downloading the 3.5GB day 1 patch in order to be able to use DLC's, and another 3 downloading the Harley mission. There's some other stuff like weapons upgrades, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Finally took a step into the 21st century, and opened a PSN account. I bought the limited edition Arkham Knight game, thinking the extra Harley Quinn mission they advertized on the box was pre-installed in the disc, and that I only needed to go online and enter a code to unlock it. Turns out, it was a 1.2GB download.

And so, I spent over 6 hours downloading the 3.5GB day 1 patch in order to be able to use DLC's, and another 3 downloading the Harley mission. There's some other stuff like weapons upgrades, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Welcome to an era of "Incomplete games where you pay for the dlcs and patches of correction of game, what they delayed because needed of time for correction the early bugs..."

Wait for the GOTY edition. All patched and all the DLCs at a non-sacrifice-your-1st-born price.

Late adopters FTW! That strategy has worked well for me, except when it comes to Bethesda games. An unfortunate trend I've seen is a lot of them pretty much require you to choose the PC version over all others for stability issues, and then get an unofficial patch in order to fix even more things, sometimes game breaking, that were still neglected in the GOTY edition.

What's with you guys and your sh!t internet comnections? 6 hours for 3.5 gigs? Are you on dial up??

"Developing country", enough said. Wireless broadband is way slower than fiber optics, but it's much more common here. And if I was using dial-up, it'd take 6 f**king days instead of hours.

This is the reason why they're still making physical discs available. Unless you're living in a first world country like the US or Canada, internet speed and/or availability isn't nearly good enough for downloading HD movies or complete current gen games. Also, most ISP's have a habit of "throttling" your broadband speed if you're downloading big files, making things even worse for those using low to mid-range internet plans.

Welcome to an era of "Incomplete games where you pay for the dlcs and patches of correction of game, what they delayed because needed of time for correction the early bugs..."

Sad, but true.

Edited by GU-11

Unless you're living in a first world country like the US or Canada, internet speed and/or availability isn't nearly good enough for downloading HD movies or complete current gen games.

I'm sorry that your internet is so terrible, but don't mistake the US's ISPs as some kind of gold standard. I pay US $60 a month for internet that recently got a speed boost only because the government redefined broadband and my service needed the increase to meet the minimum requirement to still be called broadband. I'd kill for the kind of fast, reliable internet that South Korea or a lot of European countries seem to.

Guest davidwhangchoi

What's with you guys and your sh!t internet comnections? 6 hours for 3.5 gigs? Are you on dial up??

i tried playing modern warfare tethering 3g over my old palm treo 755p :p it worked but was pretty laggy.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I'm sorry that your internet is so terrible, but don't mistake the US's ISPs as some kind of gold standard. I pay US $60 a month for internet that recently got a speed boost only because the government redefined broadband and my service needed the increase to meet the minimum requirement to still be called broadband. I'd kill for the kind of fast, reliable internet that South Korea or a lot of European countries seem to.

I won't even call the speeds of the US ISPs a standard.

http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

I have got to prioritize a trip to Singapore. :D

I won't even call the speeds of the US ISPs a standard.

http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

I have got to prioritize a trip to Singapore. :D

I don't even know what kind of medal you get for 27th*...

Still, as envious as we can be of our MW friends in Japan (#3), isn't GU-11 in Malaysia? I mean, we can complain that we've got ISPs making billions of dollars screwing customers with internet that barely meets the minimum for broadband despite living in one of the wealthiest nations, we've still got 101 ranks on poor Malaysia.

*I suspect the average of 36.99 is probably skewed by a majority of people around 25 like me being averaged with with a much smaller, much faster base of fiber users.

*I suspect the average of 36.99 is probably skewed by a majority of people around 25 like me being averaged with with a much smaller, much faster base of fiber users.

And rural areas where broadband isn't available.

I'm just saying blaming the game companies for patches is silly, when the issue is terrible internet speeds.

Keith, I think you're putting the cart before the horse.

The issue is not that it takes so long to download the patches.

The issue is that they shipped a game that needs three gigs of updates on day one.

The gold standard for shipping should not be "the game boots well enough to download the patches from the internet", it should be "the game exhibits no major flaws."

Guest davidwhangchoi

The gold standard for shipping should not be "the game boots well enough to download the patches from the internet", it should be "the game exhibits no major flaws."

true and paying for it day one just supports this crap. that's why i won't buy gms day one until they change this trend. unless they lose money then they won't change. i'm glad steam's allowing refunds.

(except that fallout 4 arm thingy looks kind of rad)

man these yarn yoshii things are ultra cute...

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/29/8864747/yarn-yoshi-amiibo-photos-woolly-world

but i left them in NJ and back in MA this week. can't wait to get back and play some games and pet these things

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Still, as envious as we can be of our MW friends in Japan (#3), isn't GU-11 in Malaysia? I mean, we can complain that we've got ISPs making billions of dollars screwing customers with internet that barely meets the minimum for broadband despite living in one of the wealthiest nations, we've still got 101 ranks on poor Malaysia.

It's kind of sad that while Malaysia is far better off in terms of development than Vietnam or Cambodia, our internet is lagging so far behind them that it's not even funny.

The issue is that they shipped a game that needs three gigs of updates on day one.

Exactly.

Edited by GU-11

And rural areas where broadband isn't available.

Keith, I think you're putting the cart before the horse.

The flipside to that is that games aren't quite the static beasts they once were. Unlike Arkham Knight PC, it's often the case that newer features, such as DLC isn't ready when a game hits production, and any small change can require bigger patch repricussions. In the case of any bug, I'm glad that game conpanies care enough to make sure things are resolved st launch.

Of course, I have a 2TB HDD in my PS4, and havr gone 95% digital to start, so little patches don't make that big a difference to me at this point.

The flipside to that is that games aren't quite the static beasts they once were. Unlike Arkham Knight PC, it's often the case that newer features, such as DLC isn't ready when a game hits production, and any small change can require bigger patch repricussions. In the case of any bug, I'm glad that game conpanies care enough to make sure things are resolved st launch.

I'd rather they cared enough to fix major bugs before they shipped, especially given both the industry's willingness to take a crap on it's customer base and my personal concerns as a bit of a game historian.

I mean, sure, Batman was in a decent enough shape after the launch day patch(except on Windows!), but how many months did it take Ubisoft to get that one Assassin's Creed game into a playable state?

Of course, I have a 2TB HDD in my PS4, and have gone 95% digital to start, so little patches don't make that big a difference to me at this point.

My collection's 100% digital, and always has been.

But it's spread over several media formats, and I prefer getting my digital data on a disk or embedded in silicon over downloading it from a transient server.

Really, that's my biggest problem, the ephemeral nature of it all, and the aggressive way the game industry has moved to make it moreso every year.

Not that I don't get cheesed off when I throw a game in and have twenty minutes of install delays and update downloads to wait through before I can get to the process of actually playing it, but that is secondary to the fact that the game is temporary and disposable by design.

We live in a world where I can still play Phantasy Star any time I want, but I can't play Phantasy Star Online no matter how badly I want.

After Burner will be in circulation decades to come, After Burner Climax can never be played by anyone that hasn't already bought it, and possibly not even by them in the future.

To me, the patching isn't so much an issue as to the state of the game when it's released and the fact that we have these day-0 patches. If it's released on a certain day, that means I expect that it's ready to play. Yes there might be some minor issues, but that should not stop me or anyone else from being able to play the game "right out of the box". If that is not possible, that tells me that testing was never done on the product and it's not ready to be released. The same applies to day-0 patches. This tells me they did not finish testing. There use to be a time when the ready-to-be released product was called the "Gold master". This means they've done everything they could, tested on as many platforms as they could, likely even playing through the game several dozen times, to the point where they don't know what else could be covered. I see less of studios making this announcement these days.

I see more of "let's push this product out the door and issue a day-0 patch". To me, this is utter BS on the part of the consumer. The fact consumers let the gaming industry get away with this is mortifying. If you pre-order any game, you are just feeding the gaming industry this notion that they can get away with this. When the Shenmue 3-kickstarter opened up, the 1st thing that came to mind is, what if it's buggy to the point of being unplayable on release? Nostalgia is a hell of a drug but don't let that get in the way of reason.

I see more of "let's push this product out the door and issue a day-0 patch". To me, this is utter BS on the part of the consumer. The fact consumers let the gaming industry get away with this is mortifying. If you pre-order any game, you are just feeding the gaming industry this notion that they can get away with this.

image.png

I think the PS4's issues go beyond one's internet speed. I get 600 mbps on my PC with an ethernet connection. That same ethernet connection gives my PS4 around 30 mbps?!

I can understand being upset that one thing is slow, or sort of a not-getting-what-you-pay-for thing, but your "slow" PS4 is faster than any device in my 25mbps house.

Thanks, Comcast.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I think the PS4's issues go beyond one's internet speed. I get 600 mbps on my PC with an ethernet connection.

Do you live in the Matrix?

I think the PS4's issues go beyond one's internet speed. I get 600 mbps on my PC with an ethernet connection. That same ethernet connection gives my PS4 around 30 mbps?!

Just a guess: you're using an older Ethernet cable to hook up your PS4, and it doesn't support those speeds. You want a CAT 5e or CAT 6 cable.

Edited by Duke Togo

I just noticed that there are no rear surround channels for Arkham Knight. Actually, "environmental sounds" still output through the rear speakers, but the dialogue or other audio sources don't. During game play, I'd talk to an NPC, and when I turn around to face away from him, I still hear him on the front center channel speaker instead of the rear speakers. The dialogue still tracks from left, center to right, but the rear channels don't work. There's nothing wrong with my home theater system, as the rear speakers still outputs "environmental sounds", and deliver full 5.1 surround on other games and movies. Thankfully, 5.1 surround isn't really necessary in this game, unlike FPS's, where identifying enemy noises is essential to avoid flanking maneuvers.

That aside, I'm enjoying every second of the game. The Batmobile segments can get pretty hectic, but it's mostly an awesome addition.

Edited by GU-11

I just finished AK. Well, I have about 96% completion... I've done everything now except finding all the Riddler trophies. For a game that's supposed to be so busted as to be nigh-unplayable on PC, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I just finished AK. Well, I have about 96% completion... I've done everything now except finding all the Riddler trophies. For a game that's supposed to be so busted as to be nigh-unplayable on PC, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Any tips on the last explosive device (besides git gud :p )? Got my ass handed to me 6 times in a row and decided to come back later.

Any tips on the last explosive device (besides git gud :p )? Got my ass handed to me 6 times in a row and decided to come back later.

You mean those bombs in the street, that you have to defend against drones before you can use the engine revs to blow up? Best advice I can give is to prioritize upgrades for the Batmobile's reload speed first, then mix between Batmobile armor and Batman's armor (in the Batmobile weapons, Batmobile, and Batsuit grids, respectively). Combat and gadget upgrades don't seem to matter as much in AK, until you get the disruptor. Upgrade the ever-loving poop out of that thing. There will be militia checkpoints (the missions where there's gates up, and you have to beat the commander and break his radio) with guns bigger than sentry guns. They will murder the pants off of you, are difficult to avoid, and can't be disabled the way sentry guns can. But, there's a disruptor upgrade that will let you tag them so that when they see you they explode.

You mean those bombs in the street, that you have to defend against drones before you can use the engine revs to blow up? Best advice I can give is to prioritize upgrades for the Batmobile's reload speed first, then mix between Batmobile armor and Batman's armor (in the Batmobile weapons, Batmobile, and Batsuit grids, respectively). Combat and gadget upgrades don't seem to matter as much in AK, until you get the disruptor. Upgrade the ever-loving poop out of that thing. There will be militia checkpoints (the missions where there's gates up, and you have to beat the commander and break his radio) with guns bigger than sentry guns. They will murder the pants off of you, are difficult to avoid, and can't be disabled the way sentry guns can. But, there's a disruptor upgrade that will let you tag them so that when they see you they explode.

Many thanks for the advice, Mike!

Yeah, I'm having a lot of trouble with the "roadside explosive device" things--the "extreme level" ones, at least. Those levels had f**king helicopter drones that take too much time to aim and hit before a few tanks draw a bead on you. And it's damn near impossible to avoid getting hit when they all target at you at the same time. I've only just gotten the EMP upgrade for the Batmobile, and one upgrade for the 6mm cannon (still takes 2 shots to kill those tanks that fire 3 missiles at a time). The Batmobile's armor is fully upgraded, but not quite enough to see me through the last wave of tanks.

As for the disruptor, some upgrades for it are still locked, probably due to story progression (currently at 73%). I'll wait until the upgrade for the large sentry guns is unlocked before taking on those.

I'm just going to repost this here because it's relevent to videogames, I've talked about similar stuff in this thread before, and because I'm so annoyed that I need to rant about this twice:

So yeah, digging this thread up again to make a very important public service announcement about threeA and their video game licensed toys.

in case anyone doesn't remember this came up about 7 months ago:

oh hey, the MC himself is finally up for preorder.

1/6 scale Master chief (halo 4 version) from 3A. 13.5 inches tall, fully articulated, light up. bambaland exlusive version comes with light up forerunner light rifle. $240USD pay up front with free shipping.

http://www.bambalandstore.com/

well I finally got my Chief in hand and... it sucks. :(

I'm not going to post pictures because I honestly can't be assed to snap some pics of it but 3A dropped the ball so hard on this figure it's absolutely unbelievable. Basically, it's big and it looks like the MC from halo 4 and that's it; everything else about it doesn't work as advertised at all.

First off, the figure is incapable of interacting with any of it's accessories. The hands were designed with absolutely no thought to how the gun would be held so they basically can't hold any of his weapons at all. the palm is the wrong shape to let the weapons sit naturally, there's not enough tension in the finger joints to grip anything, and the thumb doesn't have anywhere near enough range of motion to wrap around anything. Further, there's absolutely no way to make him hold any weapon with two hands. The elbow joints don't even bend to 90 degreees; the shoulders lack any kind of ratchets and are too loose to support themselves; and the swing-out joint in the shoulder doesn't provide enough range of motion for both hands to even reach where they should grip on any weapon. In fact, you can't even display the figure with a weapon holstered, as the magnets that were advertised to let the guns mount to his backs are too weak to actually support the weight of even the lightest rifle.

So the figure can't be posed with any weapons. It also can't be posed in any way other than a basic standing pose either. The legs and torso, while not as unbelievably poorly articulated as the arms, still only have the most basic of articulation to there inner structure. The articulation that is present however, is completely hampered by the rubber body suit they chose to use to make up the under-structure of the armor. The rubber suit bunches, binds and produces enough pressure to overcome most of the joints, preventing anything resembling a dynamic pose. It's also difficult to tell how you're posing the toy and if your even moving the joints you mean to at all as the body suit is so loose fitting as to make the whole thing like a rubbery mess.

And for all the articulation problems, the figure doesn't even look that good in a standing pose. the rubber under-suit is loose fitting, softly detailed, and has only a basic dry-brushed silver paint application that makes it look incredibly cheap. the hard molded panels look decent but they feel like they're made from light and cheap plastic, and they paint work on them is muddled and indistinct.

So I've got a big, mediocure looking toy that's not poseable and doesn't hold any of it's accessories. Also, it didn't come with the obnoxious button cell batteries that are needed for the light up gimmicks. And the toe of one foot fell off within 5 minutes of getting it out of the box.

at this point I'd like to reiterate that this is a $240 figure. A TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY DOLLAR TOY. That's twice the price of the 18 inch NECA figure that was released prior to this, which is by all accounts a better toy in every way. and I'm not the only person who feels this way, the complaints have been so vocal that 3A has acknowledged that the toy is sub-par on their face book, apologized and offered to take returns for full refunds from anyone not happy with the toy. I'm going on vacation Monday, but I'm about 99% certain I'm going to take them up on that offer and then order either the NECA chief or the kotobukiya ArtFX+ statue. Hell, I might order both since they'd be cheaper on amazon together than what I payed for 3A's attempt.

this about sums it up:

I was REALLY excited for this toy; I love halo, I love the design work from halo 4, the Master Chief is one of my favorite video game characters and I was so blown away by how amazing the threeZero titanfall atlas turned out that I thought there was no way they could screw this up. Well they could and they did. :angry:

Many thanks for the advice, Mike!

Yeah, I'm having a lot of trouble with the "roadside explosive device" things--the "extreme level" ones, at least. Those levels had f**king helicopter drones that take too much time to aim and hit before a few tanks draw a bead on you. And it's damn near impossible to avoid getting hit when they all target at you at the same time. I've only just gotten the EMP upgrade for the Batmobile, and one upgrade for the 6mm cannon (still takes 2 shots to kill those tanks that fire 3 missiles at a time). The Batmobile's armor is fully upgraded, but not quite enough to see me through the last wave of tanks.

As for the disruptor, some upgrades for it are still locked, probably due to story progression (currently at 73%). I'll wait until the upgrade for the large sentry guns is unlocked before taking on those.

The EMP and missiles are honestly not as good as the remote hacking thing, and none of them are as flat out useful as the 60mm cannon. So, like I said, focus on upgrading it so it does max damage and reloads as fast as it can.

As for the helicopters, left trigger fires a vulcan gun that's useless against the tanks, but it can take out the choppers and kill missiles from the stationary missile launchers. So, you can spray the vulcans at the choppers in between cannon shots, and if you have it use the hacking to takeover one of the tanks that fires three shots. In addition to killing stuff for you, it'll give the other baddies something to target besides you, which will help get them off your back.