1/48 enemy pod

mslz22

The Q rau thread got me all fired up about bad guy mecha so thought i would share this WIP, 1/48 pod. I worked on this on and off thru the summer but have been doing so much casting for other people lately that it has been sitting like this since Oct. It's just a little over 19 inches tall. Hope to have it painted up in time for WF for possible entry into the scratch built category, needs a few tweaks including moving the left "eye" cannon a couple of mm in towards center. It needs the acrylic rod until i permanently put it together.009-4.jpg

mike

Has anyone told you that you are shameless and disgusting? You just got me for the 1/24, and now I'm thinking I might have another toy I need to hide from the missus, haha!

Absoultely friggin amazing man! Two more words of encouragement:

Officer's Pod.

Here you go, next to the 1/60.....I know that some thought the 1/60 was too big right? I thought it was within the margins of the animation in some places if not the line art. Mine is in the 1/48 ballpark, i am ok with being a bit "loose" about the scale when it comes to the subject because of the variations in the animation etc...

mike

019-4.jpg

I wonder how big it is next to a 1/60 Yamato... I think the Yamato is about 19 inches... their "off scale" 1/60 pod.

I was thinking just the same. The Yamato’s 1/60 version is already small for its scale with its 45cm (around 18 inches)… I mean, I don’t know how tall it should be but it can’t fit an 1/60 pilot inside.

Anyway, according to http://www.macross2.net ‘s technical data an 1/48 Regult should only be 31.5cm (12.5 inches) tall :wacko:

Sources:

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1756

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/reguld.htm

Here you go, next to the 1/60.....I know that some thought the 1/60 was too big right? I thought it was within the margins of the animation in some places if not the line art. Mine is in the 1/48 ballpark, i am ok with being a bit "loose" about the scale when it comes to the subject because of the variations in the animation etc...

WOOOOW!!! That sucker is huge....

(ahem... don't say it!)

Thanks everyone, it's been a fun project for sure!

In regard to to the legs, I think that the pod in general has fairly skinny legs in the line art/animation etc. I think that the yamato has bulkier legs to accommodate the ratchets/mechanisms that are inside them. I did take some artistic liberties with the whole subject and overall i am happy with it. Maybe it's my old age talking but I enjoy some of the leeway that subjects derived from animation affords, at least in comparison to replicating the studio models that i have been doing in years past...........there is almost no margins in those!

mike

Great job Mike!

Will you be padding a bit more onto the legs, they seem a bit skinny when standing next to the 1/60. But I must say the skinnier legs do make it appear much taller than it is when towering over the 1/48 Fighter.

Ok, so i am suffering from a bit of scratchbuilders remorse. In short, i have molds for everything but the head, because I need 2 of the legs etc etc. I did not think i was going to offer any castings of this so the legs etc were made with no alignment pins/location marks on them, because i thought that i was just going to cast a couple up for myself and i had a good idea where everything needed attention. IF i was going to go ahead and fix the last few issues with the head and mold it.........would anyone interested in castings prefer that i remold the parts i have to incorporate the location mark etc, thus increasing any pricing, or keep it simple with what i have, do a little extra work yourself and keep it cheap. Any thoughts?

mike

Oh and a ? for you scale guys, if i was going to have a pro sculptor make a standing figure in this scale, would it be around 23-24cm?

thanks

mike

A standard soldier Zentradi is 10m tall. Of course they all vary as the height of the spies can tell you they can be as short as 8m.

In 1/48 scale a standard zentradi grunt or pod pilot is 20.32cm.

Mike, Great job on the pod. As for new molds and locator pins, I'd say skip it. I think molding what you have would be fine. I don't mind a little work on my end. In fact you've already saved me loads of time as a 1/48 pod was on my list to build anyway! Now I can concentrate on my 1/48 monster...

With regards to scale of the figure, I thinks EXO has it right. However there is always grey area when it comes to the pods and their pilots. If you were designing the pilot to fit the pod, I'd sculpt it to fit comfortably. I've yet to see a kit were the pilot could actually get in and pilot it, even minimally.

Again, great interpretation.

Ahab

Right now the plan is to have the pilot standing, so that it can be displayed with the pod, it would be a separate "kit". I have a pro sculptor on the line to do the pilot if i decide to move forward. If i do the pod as a kit the head would be rotocast and foam filled. I have never seen much need for an interior in the pod, there is not much to see, not really practical from a display standpoint. Now the commander pod...that is a different story, and i think i may take a crack at that in 1/48 real soon...

I do want to keep the pod real cheap as a kit, at least cheap for how big it is, and real limited, just 1 round of molds...

thanks

mike

Mike, Great job on the pod. As for new molds and locator pins, I'd say skip it. I think molding what you have would be fine. I don't mind a little work on my end. In fact you've already saved me loads of time as a 1/48 pod was on my list to build anyway! Now I can concentrate on my 1/48 monster...

With regards to scale of the figure, I thinks EXO has it right. However there is always grey area when it comes to the pods and their pilots. If you were designing the pilot to fit the pod, I'd sculpt it to fit comfortably. I've yet to see a kit were the pilot could actually get in and pilot it, even minimally.

Again, great interpretation.

Ahab

I think they should look at the toys and animation and redo all the official scale in the Macross Universe. I think Reïvaj and I already discussed this in the Yamato Regult thread, but the regult in 1/48 is only 12.5 inches tall according to official stats. (1512m in 1:1 = 31.5cm in 1/48) But Mike did a good job of scaling it according to animation (right? I'm guessing here.) But again in reality if you tried to put an 8" zentradi fig in there, it still wouldn't fit because of his stiff armor with oversized elbow and knee protrusions... but an 8" tall standing soldier would look appropriate next to a 19" regult, IMO.

Guys, what you don't realize is Mike has a full sized hanger for a "garage." ;) That would have to explain all these giant builds, either that or he is slightly visually impaired and can only see big things ^_^ - just speculation now...

I agree with EXO on the scale issue. Many of the drawings and even size comaprison charts done don't match up with the stats. I'm going to use that to my advantage with some of my builds. It's easier to use a 1/72nd scale figure than try to find one in between that and 1/48th for a Zentraedi. I just went through trying to do the math on that one last week. It doesn't work out.

Awesome build as always! Keep up the great work! - MT