A little too ambitious???

Jasonc

Have the VA-3 so impressive that Graham is willing to help set-up the meeting.

I hate web-based exclusives but even that would have a more reduced cost to the consumer compared to a limited run 3D printing with all the hand finishing involved.

A garage kit license could be bought for a convention but that would require Jason to have an initial outlay of capital.

Having a finished prototype and going to Yamato, the worst thing is the cost of a plane ticket to Japan.

This is not that far fetched an idea.

Yep, there would be lots to consider in how to approach it, but I really wouldn't expect anyone to contact me about it. While it'd be interesting if they did, I'd just care about getting an actual toy of the VA-3, in that sea green color, or the purple M variant. I have my Macross Chronicle issue with the VA-3M out, and it's a fascinating design. It'd require a rework of the arm design (haven't got there yet), the small booster tanks, and what looks to be harpoons on the wing hardpoints. There's also some strange looking parts that stick up over the wing (?), so maybe that's just a Zolan design thing. Haven't done too much designing yesterday or today. But will get on it again tonight. I've been lagging. Lots of other things to take care of.

Keep your spirits up. What you have so far is very impressive, indeed.

Thanks, buddy. got some stuff done on it today, and I'll post up an update pic tomorrow for you guys. After this piece is done, I should be able to pound out about 4 original parts over the next few days. Then it'll be back to a slow grind, as I design the parts that need to blend into the current piece I'm doing. Ugh, just thinking about that is stressful. LOL.

I have my Macross Chronicle issue with the VA-3M out, and it's a fascinating design. It'd require a rework of the arm design (haven't got there yet), the small booster tanks, and what looks to be harpoons on the wing hardpoints. There's also some strange looking parts that stick up over the wing (?), so maybe that's just a Zolan design thing.

I think that's the VA-3C Custom from Dynamite 7, not the VA-3M from VF-X2. IIRC, the VA-3M doesn't have the whale-hunting harpoons or the little booster rockets. It does have beam gun barrels on the pontoons and a lot more angles than the more rounded VA-3C.

VA-3C Custom: http://www.macross2....om-attacker.gif

VA-3M: http://www.macross2....3m-attacker.gif

Edited by Penguin

I think that's the VA-3C Custom from Dynamite 7, not the VA-3M from VF-X2. IIRC, the VA-3M doesn't have the whale-hunting harpoons or the little booster rockets. It does have beam gun barrels on the pontoons and a lot more angles than the more rounded VA-3C.

VA-3C Custom: http://www.macross2....om-attacker.gif

VA-3M: http://www.macross2....3m-attacker.gif

Ah, OK. For some reason, see the purple, and think M. Nevertheless, I love those extra parts. If could, I'd totally make the M, but I also love the color of the the original VA-3. Guess it just comes down to preference, but if Yamato never makes these, I'm going to make both. Looks like the difference is mostly in the arms and small aesthetic parts. Below is just a portion of the part I'm working on now. There's quarter circle pieces that branch off the side of it, and curve with the upper part. I need to fix the program, as it's acting up, but it's still coming along.

post-582-0-47225900-1326344201_thumb.jpg

OK, almost there with this part. As you can tell, there's one curve that integrates into another curve, then needs to wrap around the back leg plate. Looking at the sculpted part, it looks like a somewhat easy design, Buuuuut, it's kicking my behind. With the main parts built up, it's now a matter of refining, putting out the details, and cleanup. I should be on my way to doing some more of the interior parts after this, including part of the leg that slided in and out to extend it during transformation. Anyways, here's the next step in this part.

post-582-0-56198900-1326703691_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-59081600-1326703704_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Is there any news on this project? It's been almost a month. I'm very interested in the engineering required to make this thing work.

Same as Mommar, really looking forward to seeing an update

BTW, after completing the VF-1E 1/48 kit, I do understand this project is indeed a huge one ^_^

• 3 months later...

Long time no update....THIS PROJECT IS NOT DEAD!!! There, I said it. Still working on it. I'm at a point now, where I've been doing a few things, and haven't had time to really get back to doing this in a dedicated manner. The project will pick up maybe mid month, after I get a few projects out of the way. Of course, some beautiful artwork of the VA-3 would always help inspire. ;)

great!!! some pics please!!!

Thats good news, post some pics when possible!

I need to reinstall my CAD software first. Still on the legs. I got a printed set to measure it out, and it worked out correctly. I'll take some CAD shots of the two pieces to show how the pieces fit and work together.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This hasn't been updated in a long time, but as of now, I don't have Solidworks, so I have not done any updates in awhile. I'm hoping to get Solidworks 2013, and can start up again with this project. Also still researching hinges, ratcheted joints, and so on for this project.

I don't know if anyone has an interest in helping, but if you have the 1/100 scale S.H.E. VA-3 kit, and want to help with parts, send me a pm. I don't want this project to fall by the wayside, and I've been getting itchy to get back into this.

Thanks for answering jasonc I would like to help, but I could not find that model in scale 1/100. Really do not want to miss this proyect. Sorry if I upset you.

It sounds crazy I've looked in papercraft, and he did just publish pictures and made ​​a model in 3d with blender does not reply to my messages.

VA-3 "Invader" variable bomber

(종이미완)VA-3인베이더 : 메카킹의 블로그 : 네이버 블로그

You're the only person I've seen who wants to make a model in scale 1/60 and transformable.

I have been gathering information in order to make some scale 3D model 1/60 but only pictures that are in VFX2 manuals and http://www.macross2.net/m3/m3.html

Thanks for answering jasonc I would like to help, but I could not find that model in scale 1/100. Really do not want to miss this proyect. Sorry if I upset you.

It sounds crazy I've looked in papercraft, and he did just publish pictures and made ​​a model in 3d with blender does not reply to my messages.

VA-3 "Invader" variable bomber

(종이미완)VA-3인베이더 : 메카킹의 블로그 : 네이버 블로그

You're the only person I've seen who wants to make a model in scale 1/60 and transformable.

I have been gathering information in order to make some scale 3D model 1/60 but only pictures that are in VFX2 manuals and http://www.macross2.net/m3/m3.html

Don't worry about it. There aren't a lot of people who actually purchased this kit back in the day. It was quite expensive back in what, 2000? If you can find one, and want to buy one, they can be up in the $200-$300 range, from what I gather. Either way, I put in the request for my updated programs, so if they come through, I'll be back in business.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing work so far. This motivates me to get going on some of my projects.

It makes me want to keep going with these comments. I just need my software to pic it up and continue. That's what frustrates me, is that I want to continue, but can't at this moment.

• 4 months later...

Finally, an update!!! Got the updated, very nice working CAD software to continue on with the project. Since I haven't had working software in a long time, I have gotten a little weak at any skill I had. Nevertheless, with a newer software and a fixed up computer, the project will resume...

post-582-0-38980300-1386459369_thumb.jpg

Finally, an update!!! Got the updated, very nice working CAD software to continue on with the project. Since I haven't had working software in a long time, I have gotten a little weak at any skill I had. Nevertheless, with a newer software and a fixed up computer, the project will resume...

Yes!!! :D

Just transferred the file to the updated version, and cleared up the errors it gave, so I hope to have some more pieces done next week. Might work on some different parts, like maybe the gun, just to motivate me.

Jasonc, which softwareare you using?

Using Solidworks 2013. I should probaby take a class on doing some tricks that'd help me out greatly, but that may come soon. I'll probably need help soon from some of the Solidworks gurus here. There are some parts that are heavily curved, need panel lines (or whatever Solidworks calls them), and they have plenty of various grades in their slopes and all that complicated stuff. Stuff that's beyond me.

HI Jason, I was actually thinking and wondering about your progress the other day. I'm glad to see you are still going forward. Keep up the good work and know that if this hits the market in 1/72 I'll be buying. :)

I've had some people offer other services to help this project along, and I'm very thankful for that. It'll still progress, as I'll describe in the update below. And if all this works out well, a 1/72 maybe available, but when I get to extra materials for the build, I don't know how well the scale will work with those said materials. They may need to be tweaked a bit, but theoretically should work.

It's cool to see this getting going again! - MT

Thanks. It's great to know there is a group of you guys virtually cheering me on. Definitely helps with the drive and determination. I do have the regular line art that is found online and in the Kawamori book, but if anyone has any line art that is hard to find, or I may not have, if you'd be so kind as to let me know, it may help me out.

Now, onto the latest update...No pics yet. Mostly just measuring the dimensions of the gun pod for the VA-3, and seeing how I can enhance it aside from just being a stiff piece of plastic. I love the look of it, as it's pretty odd looking and suits the design of a VA, and not a VF. There won't be any more designing this weekend, as I have family coming from out of town, but Monday, with no Dr. appointments, no errands to run, and most of my laundry done, should be a great start of a productive week for this (fingers crossed and knock on wood). I also need to research the connector point for the pod to the Invader, and make that work like the Bandai and Arcadia/Yamato stuff works. As a bonus, since the Invader is geared more for underwater operations than the VF series, I am designing some ordinance that looks more like hi tech torpedoes to mount onto it. I know you guys wanna see the frame of the Invader more so than the extras, but these are getting me back in, and getting my skills updated and enhanced so that I can do that. Rather do some simpler stuff and still do this, than work on something else and have no updates. Hope to have an update with some pics on Wednesday, Friday latest.

So, today is Wednesday, and here's the update. slow build of the VA-3 gunpod. Most of the reason is me building up some speed again to be more productive. Nevertheless, this is just the rear part of it, and currently building the buttpad for the stock. Like the kit, I plan to build this in several pieces, not only for painting, but to have some detail in each piece. To add, I'd like to make it work like it's supposed to, with the Gatling barrel front hand guard being able to swivel up and down, as well as the shoulder part of the stock. In order to do that, I may have to cut this in half to design the pieces to slide, and some pieces for the forward hand guard. Anyways, nuff said. here's only part of it, and early on. Tweaks to come ahead.

post-582-0-03929000-1387414969_thumb.jpg

Jason, I ask a question, you have thought about how to design landing gear?

I've thought of a couple ways. One will cost more, but will have the landing gears made of metal and some rubber gaskets. The other is to design them all in plastic, which won't be as structurally resilient as the metal, but will be there. When the time comes, I'm going to look and see if there are any hobby companies that make generic landing gear to build the kit around. Options still available.