YES!

Is there much difference between the recently released (in the last few years) Bandai 1/100 Cosmo Zero and the Yamato 2199 version of it? I'm no expert in the series, but they do look quite similar.

After watching the video.....again :p ..... It LOOKS like there was a Cosmo Falcon and Scout in 1/100. Then Cosmo Falcon and Zero in 1/72. The Cosmo Falcon shown just before the Zero is, I believe, the little one that is comming with the January 2013 issue of Dengeki.

http://hobby.dengeki.com/20120802/6094-news/

YES!

Is there much difference between the recently released (in the last few years) Bandai 1/100 Cosmo Zero and the Yamato 2199 version of it? I'm no expert in the series, but they do look quite similar.

There are actually several changes...extra maneuvering thrusters in the nose area...different canopy frame and shape....and more angular intakes are the main things I see.

If I am correct about the kits...I'm down for 3 1/100 (1 for each scheme) Cosmo Falcons, a Scout, and at least 1 of each Cosmo Falcon and Zero in 1/72!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Ah, two scales, don't know what to do... I want it in scale with the previous 1/100 (they are such crisply molded little gems) but 1/72 scale will be in line with the Hasegawa Valkyries.

Am I missing out if I don't get a first printing of Volume 2 BD?

I noticed that it's status on Amazon Japan is: shipped in 1 to 2 months.

I might have to go through a secondary seller or worse....E-Bay.

Hmmmmm. Is the PV for BD #3 already out? I see it playing in the background...but it's not around the internets. :(

It also looks like Bandai's gonna release some of the fighters in a 1/72 or 1/100 scale. :)

The video playing at the start is a 30 second Chapter 3 preview, much like the episode previews at the end of each episode but this was at the end of the Chapter 2 movie. I haven't posted that video because Bandai had my youtube account closed for posting the previews and clips. If you want a taste i posted 44 screencaps from the whole thing here

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.423484907693358.89088.384197378288778&type=3

OR we draw hash marks on our walls like deprived prisoners, waiting for the day we're given the opportunity to buy this stuff locally...

You're not missing much by not getting the First Press edition (only a cover sleeve).

But if you must have the First Press edition, CDJapan has one left.

Thanks guys...I went with E-Bay...I kinda want that first run printing.

It didn't cost that much more than getting it from Amazon Japan...it should be here next week. :)

EDIT: I was gonna go CD Japan but they're sold out of first printing. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCXA-486

Edited by UN Spacy

Hmmmmm. Is the PV for BD #3 already out? I see it playing in the background...but it's not around the internets. :(

It also looks like Bandai's gonna release some of the fighters in a 1/72 or 1/100 scale. :)

Oh, 5 meter-long Yamato went to Wonder Festival 2012 Summer.

When I went to Cafe Crew, I attempted to see it, but couldn't.

Got my volume 2 last week and just watched it Saturday. Very beautiful and I find the changes to be good for the most part. It's interesting that they're going a bit more into the Pluto base guys as a conquered people and really humanizing them. I do miss the native Pluto life forms though (I was amused by the reference to Pluto as a dwarf planet). Anyone else picking up hints that

Yuki is Yurisha (the first sister Starsha sent to Earth a year previous)

I've got a question for you guys that have seen this thing in its entirety so far: are there any relational conflicts or personal dynamics among the crew like in the original Space Cruiser, such as the conflict between (I forget the Japanese names) Wildstar and Venture, Wildstar and Avatar (I got one lol), romances, etc? All I've seen are combat snippets, not the actual show itself, so I hate to think that this is all explosions and visuals and new era bridge bunnies...

Got my volume 2 last week and just watched it Saturday. Very beautiful and I find the changes to be good for the most part. It's interesting that they're going a bit more into the Pluto base guys as a conquered people and really humanizing them. I do miss the native Pluto life forms though (I was amused by the reference to Pluto as a dwarf planet). Anyone else picking up hints that

The relation between Yuki and Yurisha has been under discussion since the start, ever since the existence of this new sister was revealed.

As far as the Pluto gamilas are concerned, yep, they've been turned from evil lackeys to... normal soldiers that are fighting a war against an enemy. What makes them "evil" is the fact that that enemy is us. But after these 6 episodes i think i'll feel sorry for Shulz when he bites the big one...if they kill him at all. That would be a twist. :D

I've got a question for you guys that have seen this thing in its entirety so far: are there any relational conflicts or personal dynamics among the crew like in the original Space Cruiser, such as the conflict between (I forget the Japanese names) Wildstar and Venture, Wildstar and Avatar (I got one lol), romances, etc? All I've seen are combat snippets, not the actual show itself, so I hate to think that this is all explosions and visuals and new era bridge bunnies...

The conflict between Kodai (Wildstar) and Okita (Avatar) is not as strong but in a good way. Kodai is a bit less of a hot head in this version and he understands the circumstances of his brothers death, especially when he discovers what his role was to be in the Yamato Project in episode 2. As for his conflict with Shima (Venture) they butt heads in episode 4 but overall they're much like they were in the original. The show is exploring a lot more of the characters, an example of that is that in the 2 episodes that comprise the attack on the Pluto base and the Reflex Gun, where as in the original it was all battle from the start, here half of the first episode is the characters going around and interacting, strategizing, and Yamamoto getting transfered to her rightful place, the actual action only starts way into the 2nd act. As for the Yamato girls, they are far from being only fan service. The one that can be considered more as such is Makoto, the nurse. That huge....heart is really evident in a space suit, especially in episode 4. XDDD But even she is quite a lovable character, balancing the hotness, fan-service side with being a sweet, caring nurse and comic relief. The rest of the main girls (because several others have been spotted) has the fan service side more evident in promotion materials than the show itself.

Edited by westfall

The relation between Yuki and Yurisha has been under discussion since the start, ever since the existence of this new sister was revealed.

As far as the Pluto gamilas are concerned, yep, they've been turned from evil lackeys to... normal soldiers that are fighting a war against an enemy. What makes them "evil" is the fact that that enemy is us. But after these 6 episodes i think i'll feel sorry for Shulz when he bites the big one...if they kill him at all. That would be a twist. :D

The conflict between Kodai (Wildstar) and Okita (Avatar) is not as strong but in a good way. Kodai is a bit less of a hot head in this version and he understands the circumstances of his brothers death, especially when he discovers what his role was to be in the Yamato Project in episode 2. As for his conflict with Shima (Venture) they butt heads in episode 4 but overall they're much like they were in the original. The show is exploring a lot more of the characters, an example of that is that in the 2 episodes that comprise the attack on the Pluto base and the Reflex Gun, where as in the original it was all battle from the start, here half of the first episode is the characters going around and interacting, strategizing, and Yamamoto getting transfered to her rightful place, the actual action only starts way into the 2nd act. As for the Yamato girls, they are far from being only fan service. The one that can be considered more as such is Makoto, the nurse. That huge....heart is really evident in a space suit, especially in episode 4. XDDD But even she is quite a lovable character, balancing the hotness, fan-service side with being a sweet, caring nurse and comic relief. The rest of the main girls (because several others have been spotted) has the fan service side more evident in promotion materials than the show itself.

A BIG thanks to you 'West; this show is solid gold. I don't know if I'll be able to resist it any longer...

Kodai (Wildstar) did storm into Avatar's (Okita's) hospital room, but Okita deflects his anger by saying that he had led men into death and was sorry for it but it was necessary, or something to that effect. It is very nice that Yuki's role has been split into multiple characters (the other women on board), if only for allowing more romantic relationships on the show... The nurse is a good example, shown as a bit of a bimbo, till she needs to do triage and then she takes charge.

Next episode is the farewell episode, be interesting to see if Yuki calls anyone. Yamamoto, Yuki thinks that Kodai is interested in her, which is making for an interesting twist.

I loved the scene where Kodai was addressing the fighter squadron after he was assigned to lead the fighter assault on Pluto. The Squadron CO ( can't remember his name atm) tells Kodai he wants to talk to him about something, then Kodai introduces a new member to the Squadron. Loved the look that person gives the CO and then the little I give up exprssion he gives. Priceless! It's the little sublte things that they put into the animation that I love. Also how they didn't make the CO get all irrate or anything, playing into the stereo-typical male-chauvanist role. This show is just perfection so far. :)

Chris

That would be one Hell of a twist, but I don't think it's going to be the case.

-Kyp

@West - kudos on the summary of the good points of the series! Very well done!

Anyone else picking up hints that

That would be one Hell of a twist, but I don't think it's going to be the case.

-Kyp

Well, Izubuchi has said that he intends to take some parts of the series in totally new directions while still keeping true to its key core elements so...you never know. Theres also the issue of who or what was in that stasis pod that was wheeled onto the Yamato and has been seen in the background on at least one occasion. Personally I think it would be great if they actually turned Matsumoto's original tendency to draw all female characters in a similar style into an actual plot point, lol.

Actually I'm kind of disappointed to hear that Kodai isn't as angry and brooding as he was in the original Space Cruiser. Considering that his family was nuked by the Gamilas, he blames his brother's death on Okita and he's just a young hot shot anyway, I'd expect to see him remain that way in this version. You guys remember the one time when Okita slapped the s**t out of Kodai in the original Space Cruiser? That made me jump in my seat, lol. In any case, this series is only up to #6 (?) so there's plenty of time for complications...

Edited by myk

You guys remember the one time when Okita slapped the s**t out of Kodai in the original Space Cruiser?

Times have changed, the blatant disregard for chain of command is missing from the new show as well (at least so far), all the changes for the better IMHO. I don't miss Kodai's hot-head ways either, looking at the old show now those moments are actually cringe worthy at best.

Times have changed, the blatant disregard for chain of command is missing from the new show as well (at least so far), all the changes for the better IMHO. I don't miss Kodai's hot-head ways either, looking at the old show now those moments are actually cringe worthy at best.

It's kind of a funny irony that in spite of all the changes to the show to add more WWII references, the hot-headed, junior officers going off on their own authority aspect gets thrown out.

Too true; the level of insubordination portrayed in a lot of anime, specially late '70s to early '90s is very jarring and over-the-top-unrealistic at best when the characters perpetrating such blatant disrespect for superior officers -- often to their faces, the chain of command, esprit de corps, and the military they serve, are soldiers/officers themseves. Anyone mouthing off in similar fashion would get KP duty or a stint in the brig and demotion at best, or a Court Martial leading to a dishonorable discharge in times of peace or a firing squad in times of war, if a realistic portrayal were shown.

Meh, I always figured that Kodai was waaaay out of line and would've been ejected from the ship under normal circumstances, but Okita felt responsible for his brother's death and maybe knew that beneath all of that rage was yet another brother that could be trained and developed to sacrifice himself to save his old a@@, j/k. In any case, don't you fret none 'UN, tomorrow's wait will be well worth it...

It's kind of a funny irony that in spite of all the changes to the show to add more WWII references, the hot-headed, junior officers going off on their own authority aspect gets thrown out.

That happened in the Japanese Army (and a LOT), not in the navy. At least not on a capital ship. Beating up inferiors, don't know if that was as commonplace in the WWII Japanese navy as in the army - but in the army it was practically required.

It's here.

This one doesn't come with a storyboard layout pamphlet (like the 1st volume had)?

BTW. Are there any benefits (for gaijin) for joining the Emotion Family Club? ^_^

Too true; the level of insubordination portrayed in a lot of anime, specially late '70s to early '90s is very jarring and over-the-top-unrealistic at best when the characters perpetrating such blatant disrespect for superior officers -- often to their faces, the chain of command, esprit de corps, and the military they serve, are soldiers/officers themseves. Anyone mouthing off in similar fashion would get KP duty or a stint in the brig and demotion at best, or a Court Martial leading to a dishonorable discharge in times of peace or a firing squad in times of war, if a realistic portrayal were shown.

Or just get a "Bright Slap."

Was doing some digging around online for an event report and stumbled across the news that AKIO OHTSUKA will be playing Domel! HELL YES!!!!

It's here.

This one doesn't come with a storyboard layout pamphlet (like the 1st volume had)?

BTW. Are there any benefits (for gaijin) for joining the Emotion Family Club? ^_^

AFAIK the only version of volume 2 that has a storyboard pamphlet is the earlier version that was only sold at cinemas, not online. Vol. 2 does have some extra versions on the disc though - like footage from the launch ceremony that I went to :-)

I'm not sure if you can use the Emotion Family Club from outside of Japan. But even if you could, it takes a massive amount of points to be able to afford anything and once you input them into the site they are activated, meaning that have a 1-year lifespan before you lose them. All my purchases to date (Macross BD, Gundam BD, Yamato, Escaflowne BD box set, Patlabor movies, GitS movies, SAC BDs, etc) have totaled a measly 6000yen worth of points so far...the Mac 7 boxsets should net me a few more points though, i hope.

Tappuri (A lot of) Yama-talk in Chara-hobby on Aug 26th at Makuhari Messe.

http://www.chara-hobby.com/ch2012/stage.php#yamato_stage

Izubuchi-san, Nishii-san, and, wow, Higuchi-san! I like Heisei Gamera movies he joined in.