John Carter of Mars 2012 Film

I don't think that John Carter losing money has much to do with critics. It's gotten fairly average if not especially positive reviews. I think Disney banked too much on what is kinda a fringe property, outside the main blockbuster season. John Carter has virtually no name recognition outside sci-fi readers... and even among the newer of them knowledge is scarce. On top of that, cross-genre pics have a hard time finding an audience (e.g. Cowboys vs. Aliens). Most people who I talked to had no idea what it was about, even after seeing a trailer, and what they saw in the trailer often didn't grab them enough to find out. Plus, there weren't enough explosions in the trailers to attract the teen male set that flocks to pointless FX summer films. So, timing fail, marketing fail... doesn't look good. Too bad. You could get some cool sci-fi/fantasy romps outta that series.

I agree it was very "mysterious" in the previews. I didn't even know what it was about, but in watching it, it was well worth the ticket price. I've seen it twice, and it was just as fun the second time. It's a shame that it didn't do well at all. It doesn't look like they were planning on doing a sequel, but in my opinion, this is probably one of the better movies to do this bad.

A lot of great stuff isn't popular. While a lot of idiotic films are popular... like Transformers.

Let's be honest. If Macross were to ever be made into a live action film by an intelligent director, it sadly wouldn't be making as much Dollar as a Bay abortion.

Humans more easily entertained with explosions and gore. Hence why it was easy for the Roman Empire to rule it's people through the arenas.

A lot of great stuff isn't popular. While a lot of idiotic films are popular... like Transformers.

Let's be honest. If Macross were to ever be made into a live action film by an intelligent director, it sadly wouldn't be making as much Dollar as a Bay abortion.

Humans more easily entertained with explosions and gore. Hence why it was easy for the Roman Empire to rule it's people through the arenas.

My response to this statement is James Cameron's Avatar.

$2,782,275,172

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

3Possible facts that helped in the failure:

1- It's a Disney movie filme.

2- It was rewritten to look like a "Pirates of the Caribbean" on Mars.

3- They took all the good passages of the book and inserted things that do not have there.

Edited by Old_Nash

Yeah, I don't get that either. Every report I've read reports how the millions and millions spent on marketing ballooned the already massive budget. All I recall are a few generic-looking trailers that didn't really describe the film and the changing title (to drop the "of Mars"). Where did all this cash go?

And competant marketing. Disney supposedly spent a small (large?) fortune marketing John Carter, could have fooled me.

You could very well be right. The movie as much as it was grand, compare to others in it's field, lacked alot of merchandising to sell the tickets. Not only toys, but like the usual comic books (Unless I missed them), games, and adverts on junk food.

Then again the title is horrible. So miss leading. And the poster weren't much better. Is it another film about Greek myths, is a Sherlock Holmes spinned with sci-fi,

Should of kept the name Mars in it.

As well these days most people watch movies if a director's or actor's name is marketed above the film's title. Which this film didn't have, and it's a real pity that people base there views on just a known name.

Just got back from seeing this, and I was rather pleased with it. It was silly, but fun.

I think one of the bigger problems with these films is the "scifi language." So you've got a drink that can allow you character to understand the language - but it won't translate title or units... It's forgivable in the source material, and is easier to follow in text. But in dialogue, amid battles & explosions, it's just too clunky.

(null)

But that's stuff you take issue with after you watch it. I don't think that contributed to the poor sales. I wanted to see this, and did, but right before seeing it, I had absolutely no clue what it was about. That is a problem, especially in thi day and age, where people want the previews to give the entire plot away before even seeing the movie. It's one thing that drives me nuts about previews these days, where they give away every great line, and every good action sequence. What ends up being left by the time you get to the actual movie, is how the characters get from point A to Z. While the previews for this movie didn't do that, people wanna know, and the lack of proper advertising really hurt it.

I think one of the bigger problems with these films is the "scifi language." So you've got a drink that can allow you character to understand the language - but it won't translate title or units... It's forgivable in the source material, and is easier to follow in text.

Well at least it avoided how everyone speaks English in the whole universe of the Thor film. :lol:

Edited by Omegablue

• 2 months later...

This movie was awesome. It was the 1980 Flash Gordon of this generation. It will be on cable all the time because it will be cheap to run and twenty years from now, people will still be talking about it. The audience in my theatre applauded at the end. It was that good.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching this and it was a lot of fun. The advertising was bad... I remember one of the commercials saying something like, "before star wars, there was John Carter..."...what??? It made it look desperate, and got a lot of negative views because of it's sales, therefore it must be "bad"...

Still struggling to get through the DVD. About halfway through.

Loved the John Carter books as a kid, but the movie just changes too much for the worse and many of the visuals are not at all like I always imagined them.

Graham