Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

Does anyone know what that black plastic thing is that looks like a piece of sprue on the middle right of the picture ?

Pics with slightly different angles ( which make it look better than previous pics, imo ) :

VF17S_Proto_08B.jpg

Enjoy. :)

y082.jpg

y083.jpg

y084.jpg

y085.jpg

If you can't see them...

http://akibahobby-c2.sakura.ne.jp/image/20111128/y082.html

http://akibahobby-c2.sakura.ne.jp/image/20111128/y083.html

http://akibahobby-c2.sakura.ne.jp/image/20111128/y084.html

http://akibahobby-c2.sakura.ne.jp/image/20111128/y085.html

I've decided to get the VF-17S over the VF-19S this year. Hopefully early next year, I'll get the other, though VF-17D could edge out Emerald Force again, though I eventually want to display a Gamlin vs Docker face off at the ruins of Macross 5.

Edited by Uxi

Yeah, I've been watching Macross 7 more (for the first time), and just got to that scene at Macross 5. And like Graham said, Gamlin is slowly becoming the main character of the series for me. Basara is just to random, off on his own tangents, and hard to relate to. Docker is a jerk, 'nuff said. Gamiln is really the only one that's relatable for me, and even more so, the nicest of all the characters in the series.

Thus, with the problems arising in the VF-19S as well, I decided to get this VF-17S rather than the VF-19S, as did Uxi.

I too agree that he is the most decent guy in the series. Besides Max, maybe.

I do not understand the role of the Emerald Team. The pilots lack development, and don't have their stories IIRC.

If just to sell toys, they can easily transfer Gamlin from a VF-17D onto VF-19S after he promoted.

Unless they are keen to sell a VF-17S too.

The role? Emerald Force's role is to replace Diamond Force, which is reassigned to City 7 in light of the continued attacks of the Varauta. The scene with the prototype VF-19S after he recovers shows he's clearly more skilled than the average VF-11 pilot, and as a previous member of Diamond Force, he's the natural choice. Of course, no matter how advanced the Valkyrie, it won't be enough to face the Varauta, much less the Protodelvin.

I too agree that he is the most decent guy in the series. Besides Max, maybe.

I do not understand the role of the Emerald Team. The pilots lack development, and don't have their stories IIRC.

If just to sell toys, they can easily transfer Gamlin from a VF-17D onto VF-19S after he promoted.

Unless they are keen to sell a VF-17S too.

I think Yamato's eyes they pretty much will have all of Gamlin's onscreen valks covered by the time his VF-17D is released. They already got his VF-22S from Dynamite 7.

Now if they want to really push the VF-19F, they can just alter the markings and color a bit and sell one version as Max's offscreen custom Excalibur.

I bet the D may sell more than the VF-17S. That head is just so bad ass.

I liked Gamlin and all but I could never really get over the fact that he had a thing for 14 year old girls. Plus he was pretty whiny about Basara in the beginning. But other than that he's a pretty good character and he did grow a lot over the course of the series. Definitely protagonist material.

Gamlin was one of the better characters in the Macross series. Sorry to go off topic, but...

The reason Gamlin didn't get a VF-19S is because Miria/Milia had other plans for him. When Emerald Force was created Diamond force (VF-17 variants) was reassigned to protect City 7 under the jurisdiction of the Mayor (supposingly from a non military standpoint). Relatively speaking kind of like the army and your neighborhood cops. This standpoint was re-enforced when Docker and Gamlin argued over whose jurisdiction Sound Force fell under when Basara and Milenna went out for an unauthorized joy ride (sorry I don't remember the episode nubmer, lol).

My following p.o.v. is just pure speculation, but I think Gamlin got a VF-22S and not a VF-19S was because there's that possibility that a VF-22S takes more skill to pilot since originally it was modeled off the YF-21 (mind-controlled). Therefore re-enforcing the idea Gamlin was a pretty 1337 pilot... pretty much on the same level as Max and Milia.

I understand thata in the plot Gamlin was to be transferred. But I can't see the need to introduce a new sqaud with a squad name, newer model valks with named pilots.

They could have just simply said Gamlim was trasferred and said nothing about the replacement squad. What I was wondering is that the new sqaud didn't have much story or character development or screen time. So why bother?

P.S. Although I don't feel exactly right to see Gamlin courting a 14-year old girl, but given that he was being a gentleman and "getting to know each other" in a Plato way, I can forgive him.

They could have just simply said Gamlim was trasferred and said nothing about the replacement squad. What I was wondering is that the new sqaud didn't have much story or character development or screen time. So why bother?

I don't really understand what you mean. After Gamlin and Diamond Force was reassigned to protect the city, they needed someone to replace them who didn't pilot cannon fodder VF-11Cs. I do agree that they seriously lack characterization (most likely an oversight by the writers) and screen time, but I think that their introduction was justified.

...also, I don't see the problem with Gamlin courting a 14 year old girl for three reasons: 1. The national legal age of consent in Japan is 13, 2. Gamlin is 100% chaste and devoid of illicit intentions and 3. It's an Anime, which is completely fictional.

Edited by Actar

I don't really understand what you mean. After Gamlin and Diamond Force was reassigned to protect the city, they needed someone to replace them who didn't pilot cannon fodder VF-11Cs. I do agree that they seriously lack characterization (most likely an oversight by the writers) and screen time, but I think that their introduction was justified.

Personally I think: if you design them new valks (even newer than that of the protagonist) and give them names (?!), they must be someone with considerable screen time. Otherwise, it's more typical/practical to just assign "just another VF-11/17 squad" to do the job and carry on with the story.

Really nothing they "shouldn't do", just that they gave me wrong expectation on the introduction of a VF-19 squad.

Gamlin was one of the better characters in the Macross series. Sorry to go off topic, but...

The reason Gamlin didn't get a VF-19S is because Miria/Milia had other plans for him. When Emerald Force was created Diamond force (VF-17 variants) was reassigned to protect City 7 under the jurisdiction of the Mayor (supposingly from a non military standpoint). Relatively speaking kind of like the army and your neighborhood cops. This standpoint was re-enforced when Docker and Gamlin argued over whose jurisdiction Sound Force fell under when Basara and Milenna went out for an unauthorized joy ride (sorry I don't remember the episode nubmer, lol).

My following p.o.v. is just pure speculation, but I think Gamlin got a VF-22S and not a VF-19S was because there's that possibility that a VF-22S takes more skill to pilot since originally it was modeled off the YF-21 (mind-controlled). Therefore re-enforcing the idea Gamlin was a pretty 1337 pilot... pretty much on the same level as Max and Milia.

Well the VF-22S was made as a successor to the VF-17 in Special Operations units, which Diamond Force was. Plus it was made by General Galaxy, like the VF-17.

Ironically, the 1/60 VF-17 will probably be a much more advanced and bettter toy compared to the VF-22S.

Sorry for plunging this into such an off topic discussion guys, so we should get back on topic before someone gets mad :unsure:

(ok, just a little bit more ot stuff, what episode is it where Docker is actually transferred to emerald force, and which episode do they face off (gamlin and docker) at macross 5)

Ironically, the 1/60 VF-17 will probably be a much more advanced and bettter toy compared to the VF-22S.

/blindfanboymode

NEVER!!! STURMVOGEL 4EVER!!

/blindfanboymodeoff

You made me sad because:

a) There is truth to what you said, and

b) Yamato will most likely never revisit the 22, what with all their stock not moving for so long.

so... /rocks back and forth in a corner hugging all his 22s and whispering things will be alright..yes.

I liked Gamlin and all but I could never really get over the fact that he had a thing for 14 year old girls. Plus he was pretty whiny about Basara in the beginning. But other than that he's a pretty good character and he did grow a lot over the course of the series. Definitely protagonist material.

I would have to blame Milia for trying to force them together. Plus I think he felt obligated to do so, the fact that Max was the Admiral and Milia was the Mayor.

...also, I don't see the problem with Gamlin courting a 14 year old girl for three reasons: 1. The national legal age of consent in Japan is 13, 2. Gamlin is 100% chaste and devoid of illicit intentions and 3. It's an Anime, which is completely fictional.

^^This is not 100% acurate.

The national age of consent in Japan is 13 as specified by the Japanese Penal Code Articles 176 and 177. However, prefectures can have ordinances that prohibit sexual activities with any minor under 18. I have read about people getting into trouble thinking that it was ok to date girls under 18, but they were not in a prefecture that allows this type of behavior.

I also heard the "13" for consent is usually in the boonies.

@ Raptormesh: I agree with you there. However, it was also Yamato's fault for extra stock of VF-22S from re-releasing them after the initial for 1k of each (Gamilin, Max, Milia).

If they would not have, I may have missed out :D

Edited by Loop

Hey, does anyone know if the paint scheme that is currently being shown in pictures and in the samples provided will be the final production version colors?

I'd have at least liked to see the UN Spacy logo tampo printed and what not on the toy for the price being asked. Sorry if I'm being tooo picky about this, but I hate having to sticker up a new valk :(

Hey, does anyone know if the paint scheme that is currently being shown in pictures and in the samples provided will be the final production version colors?

I'd have at least liked to see the UN Spacy logo tampo printed and what not on the toy for the price being asked. Sorry if I'm being tooo picky about this, but I hate having to sticker up a new valk :(

Why do you think Yamato isn't including the tampo printing? The samples that are being shown aren't the final production version AFAIK.