Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

Hey does anyone recommend the original bandai version?

Yes, it's probably the most durable Macross toy ever made. I have about a dozen that have been seriously used and abused over the past 16 years and never had a single breakage. They are the Tonka toys of VF toys.

Graham

Yes, it's probably the most durable Macross toy ever made. I have about a dozen that have been seriously used and abused over the past 16 years and never had a single breakage. They are the Tonka toys of VF toys.

Graham

Agreed. Very solid toy, nice and big too. I recommend the re-issue because it has the markings painted on.

I imagine barring sales collapse, they'll come out with Sound Force version if just to further amortize the R&D costs. This is one design, I'm not set on for a non-canon low-viz version (not that my high desire for one helped with either YF/VF-19 or VF-22).

I imagine barring sales collapse, they'll come out with Sound Force version if just to further amortize the R&D costs.

I'd buy it, but I'm not too certain how likely it is. While S to D is just a new head, the Sound Force version is based on the VF-17T, which requires a new canopy/nose as well as a head for the double seater. Depending whether that needs significant re-engineering, it could be a deal breaker.

While Yamato is on this Mac 7 kick what are the odds of seeing a Battle 5 or 7 being made too? I imagine zero, but it would still be cool (as would an SDFM styled/colored SDF-1.)

I'd buy it, but I'm not too certain how likely it is. While S to D is just a new head, the Sound Force version is based on the VF-17T, which requires a new canopy/nose as well as a head for the double seater. Depending whether that needs significant re-engineering, it could be a deal breaker.

I wonder if Yamato didn't already design the Vf-17 with the intent if it sells well there's very little that needs to be changed in order for a 17T to be made. They've already hinted at the possibility of one coming out so you know you've thought about the idea. As long as the transformation was designed with the intent it could accommodate the longer nose I'm willing to bet it could happen. The hinted at VF-11MAXL is the one I would imagine wouldn't happen at all because it's a whole new design and can't be milked at all.

I think if you just buy one of each type you should be able to get the toys but you definitely have to plan your saving up for them in advance as the prices are getting higher.

Yamato have improved though so the value that you get from them should be better. (no breaking arms/shoulder complaints on these more expensive newer toys as of yet lol)

I think the fact that they all lock into place in all modes,(my beef with the yf-19, which feels wrong to handle when things flop all over the place) have more clicky joints (one of my suggestions to brings these things closer to being toys than display pieces), and seem to have better plastic now, as well as better proportions in robot mode without destroying fighter mode.... all makes buying these thing still worth the money in the end. On top of that they are posable unlike the stuff of the past. I think robot mode fans should be happy since the joy of leaving them in this mode is to try to recreate the dynamic poses from the shows.

I hope yamato does v2 vf-11c (give us more posable arms) with Full armour! Please..... its one of the best looking mechs in macross 7 imo. Just make sure it has one really good joint in the arm to hold that massive gunpod up without drooping. lol

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Given that the VF-11 supposedly didn't sell very well, I don't see them revisiting it any time soon. Plus, despite being unpopular, that's probably one of the most solid valks Yamato has made.

I haven't noticed issues with the arms really, but I've never trusted the tiny tab they used to lock the nose in place. I've only heard of one case where it actually broke, so I might be paranoid, but I feel like that would be the first piece to go from repeated transformations.

Now, I'm starting to wonder if I should try and pre-order one of these.. I'd rather have the D, and wait for a red S model, so I'm ok with waiting, but the thought that they might not produce them if this one doesn't sell well concerns me.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'd buy at least a Battle 7. I love the New Macross class ships.

I still need to save up money for this and the VF-19, tho. Feeling all kinds of poor lately.

That's a bummer you can't afford these things. So far I've been lucky. We'll see how long that holds out.

In other news, I'd be all over a lot of the Macross Capital Ships. I know they would never get made though. I really like the Northampton Stealth Frigates too. However if they were kept at 1/3000 scale they'd only be a little over three inches or so compared to any of the Macross Class ships at 1/3000. Uruga's too... seven inches though.

Just pre-ordered the damn thing :D

Really wanted to see final pics, but I knew I had to have it anyways.

Looks like a repaint of the Docker sculpt from the VF-19S. My one complaint about that figure, is the helmet faceplate is too flat, it should be more of a convex curve.

Graham

Crap, I have yet to play with my VF-19S

Argh...why am I liking this now? :rolleyes:

I like it now too. I was very cautious about it, but the more of these pictures I see, the more I realize I need one in my collection. 2012 is gonna be one EXPENSIVE year.

Yeah, it seems odd to have that feature if they can't be stowed in the legs properly with covers placed. It's like, why bother if it's not done properly? Anyway, I am still really liking it and that fact doesn't bother me.

Yeah, I think the VF-22 could afford to be a tiny bit less sleek to get the gunpod in there, yet still be sleeker than the YF-21 with the Fast Pack plates on.

Honestly guys, If my VF-17 was in batteroid it would be rocking the gunpod anyways. I think the gimmick is more for storage in fighter mode.

I am totally fine with that. And I think a shorter gunpod would be kinda lame myself.

Edited by Loop

So, since this is being released on the the 28th, what's HLJ's usual turn around time in terms of getting pre-orders shipped and out to customers?

Sorry for the nooby questions, but I've never pre-ordered anything before [always buy after release]. This might be my first pre-order, but I'm only on break till the 6th of January. I would LOVE it if the figure got to my doorstep before classes started again on the 7th :( .

I’ve noticed some paint scheme peculiarities. For instance, I don’t know if there should be any visible yellow stripes on the underside of the fighter; they wouldn’t be there had Yamato painted this last sample’s shoulders like the ones of the original resin prototype we can still see in their web site.