Macross DYRL 3d bluray speculation

boinger

How difficult would it be convert 2D Macross DYRL into 3D?

Would you want to watch Itano circus in 3D?

( I know I would ! )

Personally, I would still like a bluray DYRL that has a bit more video and audio remastering done

than the remastered DYRL DVD.

So, there are already 3D camcorders that can potentially make 3D videos. But, I'm not sure if a 3D camera

pointed a HD 2D tv would provide any 3D effect on a 2D anime movie.

And then there's the old fashioned anaglyph software conversion for 2d to 3d video in After Effects.

I found a demonstration video of anaglyph conversion on youtube, but I didn't quite follow what he

was doing. Any good anaglyph 2d to 3d video tutorials out there?

Also, has anybody seen a good example of 2D to 3D cartoon that is not computer generated, e.g. How

to train your Dragon?

I went to the blog dedicated to fan made 3d movies that posted that 3d anaglyph demo on youtube.

.http://www.enhanced-dimensions.com/wordpress/

Edited by boinger

How difficult would it be convert 2D Macross DYRL into 3D?

Would you want to watch Itano circus in 3D?

( I know I would ! )

Personally, I would still like a bluray DYRL that has a bit more video and audio remastering done

than the remastered DYRL DVD.

So, there are already 3D camcorders that can potentially make 3D videos. But, I'm not sure if a 3D camera

pointed a HD 2D tv would provide any 3D effect on a 2D anime movie.

And then there's the old fashioned anaglyph software conversion for 2d to 3d video in After Effects.

I found a demonstration video of anaglyph conversion on youtube, but I didn't quite follow what he

was doing. Any good anaglyph 2d to 3d video tutorials out there?

Also, has anybody seen a good example of 2D to 3D cartoon that is not computer generated, e.g. How

to train your Dragon?

The Blu WILL happen, its just a matter of time. In fact, I'd be surprised if it didnt come out for the franchizes 30th anniversary next year.

But 3D? No. HELL no.

3D on traditional cell animation looks TERRIBLE. I saw Ghost in the SHell Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society 3D (what a mouthful) at the cinema only last month. Any scene with CG-3D objects (ie, ghost diving scenes) were fine, but when applied to standard 2D animation, the effect generated is something like having 2 cells layered on top of each other but with the top one slightly off center. Its almost like a double image. VERY disconcerting and quite distracting imo.

I'll settle for a hi-def remaster, preferrably of a 35mm print.

Macross Blu-ray will come. I know that we've been waiting for this for a while, but I'd prefer that Bandai Visual take their time and get it right on their first try. Bandai's first-generation Macross DVD's were rushed out the door and it shows.

Macross DYRL in 3D? Why stop there? Let's have it in Smell-O-Vision too. Mutant-fish roasting scene FTW!

DYRL needs a "lot" of remastering before it hits bluray. I'm not talking about quick & dirty upscale, edge enhancement, & DNR, no, I'm talking about actually going back to the print & cleaning it up. The soundtrack has also degraded quite a bit, and is full of way too many pops to ignore. I picked up the HD remaster they did a couple years ago, and while it is superior to the first DVD release, it definately has a lot of room for improvement before it hits bluray. The FB 2012 bits are also a bit of a problem, since they look like they were done in a really low res, and there may only be analog masters left there. Although, I don't think any of us would mind if they re-animated that sequence, mmmmm. Frontier should have shown BV that Macros + BR = $$$, so we'll see.

Edited by Keith

I wonder what other special features could be included with the DYRL bluray?

The limited edition DYRL set had:

1. illustrated script book

2. line art book

3. DVD booklet

4. theatrical edition unremastered DYRL movie DVD

5. a DVD of special video features

a. dyrl trailers

b. psx video remastered cut-scenes

I for one would like to see newly-filmed retrospective interviews with cast and crew, looking back at what it was like making the movie. No anime DVDs I know have ever done that, though, except maybe the Akira one, but that's because they went back and totally re-mixed the sound for the movie, and made a semi-documentary focusing on that. Even then, they didn't get the voice actors to talk.

Maybe commentaries.

Kawamori has talked in depth about making the TV series and movie in many, many interviews, but it would be interesting to get Mikimoto, Itano, Ishiguro, etc. together again and reminisce.

I just don't believe Bandai Visual thinks that would be a good investment.

edited for clarity

Edited by Renato

I for one would like to see newly-filmed retrospective interviews with cast and crew, looking back at what it was like making the movie. No anime DVDs I know have ever done that, though, except maybe the Akira one, but that's because they went back and totally re-mixed the sound for the movie, and made a semi-documentary focusing on that. Even then, they didn't get the voice actors to talk.

Maybe commentaries.

Kawamori has talked in depth about making the TV series and movie in many, many interviews, but it would be interesting to get Mikimoto, Itano, Ishiguro, etc. together again and reminisce.

I just don't believe Bandai Visual thinks that would be a good investment.

edited for clarity

The Gunbuster movie DVD's actually did have that very feature. Partially because they completely re-recorded all of the dialogue for Gunbuster, but it also included archive footage of the original recording process, in addition to interviews with the seiyuu comparing their original recording sessions with the new recordings. I "think" they included that on the bonus disc that came with the bluray box domestically.

You mean DYRL isn't on Blu yet in Japan? I'm a bit surprised since they've really adopted the medium over there.

If Tochiro's hunch is right, we *SHOULD* theoretically see some sort of announcement next year for the 30th anniversary. *fingers crossed*

If Tochiro's hunch is right, we *SHOULD* theoretically see some sort of announcement next year for the 30th anniversary. *fingers crossed*

As long as it's the 30th for Macross, and not hte 30th for DYRL, that'd be too freakin' long of a wait. The major factor against us, catalolg titles that old haven't gotten much attention on bluray in Japan.

I think the fact that many old titles haven't made it to Blu-ray is an indication. Keith has a good point, the print is probably going to need some work to make marketable for Blu-ray.

Macross DYRL on bluray would be amazing and definitely worth the high pricetag it would be bound to receive.

3D...not so much...I just don't see it.

"Macross DYRL on bluray would be amazing"... if done properly. I hear Wings of Honneamise and some others look better on DVD. <_<

"Macross DYRL on bluray would be amazing"... if done properly. I hear Wings of Honneamise and some others look better on DVD. dry.gif

Dirty lies by people who don't understand what film grain is supposed to look like.

"Macross DYRL on bluray would be amazing"... if done properly. I hear Wings of Honneamise and some others look better on DVD. <_<

My Wings dvd does look amazing but I haven't had the chance to see it in bluray so I can't really say.

Don't you think though that if DYRL ever get's done in BD, the people in charge would make sure that it looks the part?

Dirty lies by people who don't understand what film grain is supposed to look like.

Is that what we have to look forward to in a DYRL BR, then? Grain? I don't see that being a selling point, somehow.

I want to see more background detail, etc. Unfortunately, the only way to see it now would be to track down the original background art, most of which is probably destroyed.

Don't you think though that if DYRL ever get's done in BD, the people in charge would make sure that it looks the part?

Well, people here weren't too thrilled about the "HD Remaster" DVDs they put out in 2009. <_<

DYRL was never designed to be in 3D if they do choose to do so it will feel like a cheap gimmick. But if they redo the animation and make it look like Macross The first I would pre order it in a instant.

Let's put it this way. A high resolution bluray will show more grain yes, but that also equates to more detail. That grain is always there, but it becoems murky blobs the lower the resolution is that you put it through.

Then apart from digitally painting out some of the film grain to keep the film detail, I have to expect film

grain is always going to be a part of DYRL movie.

Would Char's Counter-Attack bluray be comparative to what we could expect for DYRL bluray?

The 2nd version CCA bluray is supposed to be out in June 2011.

CCA best DVD to CCA BD

DYRL remastered DVD to DYRL BD?

I honestly would try to watch it in 3D if it was available. Don't know how good it'd be, but if it's simply an option, then why not. My only concern with all that would be cost. If it was gonna cost too much, then I'd say just skip the 3D. It can be over-hyped most of the time.

As for BD, um, yeah, so long as they just aren't transferring the "HD DVD" over to it. I'd love to see it look brand spankin' new, and clean as can be. Again, cost....

Again, it depends on how much of a remaster they actually put it through. I'd actually think that the Gunbuster movie bluray would be a pretty good comparison + it has Mikimoto designs.

And the point of a 3D DYRL would be?

3D is still a gimmick. Avatar showed the studios how 3D "should" be done, with immersive environments that were never the focus of the film only an enhancement that took the movie from a cinema viewing to an experience.

Nothing since has really come close to that level and that is mostly because the films were never written with a 3D camera in mind. Others are simply given the 3D treatment because the Hollywood accountants that run the studios "think" it will bring in bigger ticket sales. More often than not they are wrong.

Taking a film that was never designed for 3D and giving it such a treatment really will not make the movie any better than it already is, so why bother?

That money would be better spent doing a proper restoration of the 35mm print, by restoration technicians in Hollywood ( I do not know of anywhere else where the same quality of restoration work is being done).

3D is a gimmick and will remain so until directors learn what Cameron already knows and stop trying to shoe horn a 2D movie into a 3D projector by poking sticks in the audience's eyes...<_<

You know, I just dug out my R2 HD remaster DVD today, and really, even though it's grainy as all hell, a lot of detail was brought back out in that master. At least compared to the first release DVD. A bluray taken from this source should bring back a vibrancy in color and yet more detail. The grain "should" also come out looking less chunky too. The main thing holding them back has to be the FB 2012 bits. There's no way around the fact that it apparently only exists on what looks like videotape masters. The FB 2012 DVD, the old DYRL DVD re-lease, and the more recent DVD all have the exact same issue. They need to pay to completely re-animate that section.

Edited by Keith

The FB2012 remastering issue could be just dropped from the bluray remaster \

and just have the bluray movie as the DYRL theatrical release.

That would save them the bother and expense of re-animating FB 2012.

If the FB2012 video were to be re-animated, then why not add on and re-animate

a couple of the Sega Saturn DYRL cut scenes or even the very short

Max and Milia marriage scene that were originally part of the DYRL script?

Edited by boinger

Problem with doing in movie scenes is obviously that Arihiro Hase is dead. No attempts at a Hikaru since have ended well.

I don't think he's the one who draws the cels, you know... :p

Seriously, though, what do you mean? The Saturn audio could just be re-used and as far as I remember Hikaru wasn't even in the marriage scene.

EDIT -- I should add that I don't think any re-animation is going to happen, and nor would I want it to, especially FB2012: there is no way you can improve upon that.

Edited by Renato

The issue with the FB 2012 footage is that it's ben part of the movie for over 20 years. It's just from a crappy VHS source that doesn't upscale even remotely well. That alone justifies re-animating it.

Don't they have the original cels somewhere? I know japanese film (and anime) industry are terrible at keeping master tapes etc. but one would think they'd have them for stuff as "new" as Macross Flash Back 2012