X-Men: First Class

Zor Primus

nice trailer. this had me going from "GAH! they twilighted the fart out of the X-Men!" to "whoa, timeperiod accurate as far as I can see AND the original SR-71 where the Blackbird name for the X-Jets came from? awesome!" and it looks like at least part of the movie will be taking the first comic mission up, Magento`s attack....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Saw it 2nite, it was good, fx was OK, I wasn,t blown away by it, I think I,m abit de-censortised to super hero movies from the last few yrs....but still good!

I saw it - its OK, nothing special but enjoyable.

A few little gripes. The guy who plays Magneto keeps slipping into his natural Irish accent especially near the end, and the mutants with more extreme make-up like Mystique and Azazel dont look as natural as they did in the original X-men movies.

It has a really good Wolverine cameo though.

I saw it - its OK, nothing special but enjoyable.

A few little gripes. The guy who plays Magneto keeps slipping into his natural Irish accent especially near the end, and the mutants with more extreme make-up like Mystique and Azazel dont look as natural as they did in the original X-men movies.

It has a really good Wolverine cameo though.

How does it compare to Thor?

How does it compare to Thor?

Thor is a much better more well rounded movie in my opinion - its visually stunning, has a much tighter story due to it revolving around 1 main character, and is just a really enjoyable film.

For a film that could have been ridiculously silly Thor is pretty epic.

Edited by Nicaragua

Actually, I thought this was a much better effort than Thor. Sure, the special effects on Thor were better, but the script was a bit lacking on some parts. X-Men: First Class, on the other hand, really made up for the last two X-Men movies that were just horrible.

BTW, I didn't care much for Wolverine's cameo; Michael Ironside's appearance in the film made a bigger impact. :ph34r:

Actually, I thought this was a much better effort than Thor. Sure, the special effects on Thor were better, but the script was a bit lacking on some parts. X-Men: First Class, on the other hand, really made up for the last two X-Men movies that were just horrible.

BTW, I didn't care much for Wolverine's cameo; Michael Ironside's appearance in the film made a bigger impact. :ph34r:

I dont see how an actor simply acting in a film has a bigger impact than a relevant character being tied into the story, unless you have some kind of crush on that actor ?

I dont see how an actor simply acting in a film has a bigger impact than a relevant character being tied into the story, unless you have some kind of crush on that actor ?

Because Hugh Jackman doing a cameo appearance was the single most predictable part of the movie.

Did...

No.

Magneto starts turning on the US and Soviet militaries, and Charles is physically wrestling him. Magneto gets the upper hand, and Moira starts firing shots at Magneto, which he deflects. One of the shots is deflected into Charles' spine.

Saw it today, have to say I like it. The makers didn't overload the movie with visual effects and there was plenty of character development. The fleet, Blackbird and submarine scene worked very well. Imo best attempt at an X-men movie so far

The one thing that didn't make much sense to me was the choice of Sebastian Shaw/Black King as the big bad trying to kick start mutant evolution. I'm sure Mr. Sinister or Apocalyse would have been more logical.

couple of other nice moments:

formation of the Brotherhood of Evil mutants

foreshading on future couples like Moira and Charles and Nightcrawlers parents.

Banshee learning to fly

Emma Frost and the general

There were 2 cameos, but one was literally 'blink and you'll miss it' (hint: female).

I did enjoy it. I was hoping I would enjoy it more. But I'll take what I can get. The first half was much better than the second in my humble opinion. I did not think Mystique's makeup was done well at all. She looked horrible compared to the original trilogy.

There were 2 cameos, but one was literally 'blink and you'll miss it' (hint: female).

I caught that one, but it seemed out of place seeing as it's 1962, and she really shouldn't have been born yet. Unless of course this is a complete reboot.

I liked this movie best, out of all the X-men movies. I like that it didn't cram all kinds of effects down your throat, and the interaction between Charles and Eric was very good. The way they made every character interact throughout the film didn't overwhelm the screen, or the avg. watcher with trying to figure out who's who. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this film.

I caught that one, but it seemed out of place seeing as it's 1962, and she really shouldn't have been born yet. Unless of course this is a complete reboot.

Oh, so it is set in the 60's? Neat. I was wondering how they'd handle chronology, with such a long-running series. I must admit, I'm a bit tantalized by the trailers I've seen; have elicited a "hey-this-actually-might-NOT-suck" feeling of anticipation that I've not felt about an upcoming [superhero] movie in a long time.

But I couldn't help wondering: couldn't they have found a German actor to play Magneto? Would it have been SO hard to do? Wasn't Erik Lenscherr(sp?) born there in the original comics, a childhood survivor of the Nazi concentration camps?

Oh, so it is set in the 60's? Neat. I was wondering how they'd handle chronology, with such a long-running series. I must admit, I'm a bit tantalized by the trailers I've seen; have elicited a "hey-this-actually-might-NOT-suck" feeling of anticipation that I've not felt about an upcoming [superhero] movie in a long time.

But I couldn't help wondering: couldn't they have found a German actor to play Magneto? Would it have been SO hard to do? Wasn't Erik Lenscherr(sp?) born there in the original comics, a childhood survivor of the Nazi concentration camps?

Not every Jew that was sent to the death camps was German. I thought Eric was from Eastern Europe.

They did. Michael Fassbender is German.

They did. Michael Fassbender is German.

He was born in Germany but moved to Ireland when he was a child so he dosnt speak with a German accent. His accent is all over the place tbh and by the end of the film he just sounds Irish.

Considering the end of First Class I don't think X3 matters anymore. That's the case I really don't mind because x3 sucked so royally.

Xavier's spine was shot by Magneto deflecting bullets from Moira MacTaggart. Magneto creates his brotherhood. In X3 Xavier & Eric are still friends as old men & Charles could still walk.

Actually there were 3 cameos.

Wolverine in a bar, A young Storm, & Mystique aging herself to look like Rebecca Romane.

He was born in Germany but moved to Ireland when he was a child so he dosnt speak with a German accent. His accent is all over the place tbh and by the end of the film he just sounds Irish.

Ah. Duly noted. Many thanks for the clarification.