1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Yeah, Onyx updates models as regularly as you breathe.

Which would be cool... if they put in a better display, faster CPU, or moved on from Android 11. AFAIK the only difference between the Leaf 2 and the Page is 1GB of RAM.

5 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Which would be cool... if they put in a better display, faster CPU, or moved on from Android 11. AFAIK the only difference between the Leaf 2 and the Page is 1GB of RAM.

Yeah, I probably shoulda put update in quotes. They make very minor changes and call it a new model. I'l call it like the model year on cars, but they go faster than that(sometimes much faster).

The older Android version is because Google stopped supporting eInk displays some time back, so the manufacturers have to do some significant coding to get new versions of Android working. It results in Android-based readers being what the smartphone market would call hopelessly obsolete. 

7 hours ago, JB0 said:

The older Android version is because Google stopped supporting eInk displays some time back, so the manufacturers have to do some significant coding to get new versions of Android working. It results in Android-based readers being what the smartphone market would call hopelessly obsolete. 

Ouch, that's unfortunate.

8 hours ago, JB0 said:

That's... really not ideal.  Google stops supporting older versions of Android.  Like, I think you have to have at least Android 5.0 to even run GApps (including the Play Store and Google Play Books), and Android 11 is the oldest version that Google still supports with security updates.  Basically all e-ink Android readers and tablets are on the edge of obsolescence.

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

That's... really not ideal.  Google stops supporting older versions of Android.  Like, I think you have to have at least Android 5.0 to even run GApps (including the Play Store and Google Play Books), and Android 11 is the oldest version that Google still supports with security updates.  Basically all e-ink Android readers and tablets are on the edge of obsolescence.

Ayup. It sucks.

I'm not too bothered by it, since I don't use much from Google's store on mine, but it is a definite issue.

I assume Onyx is working on a newer version, but who knows if older devices will see it or if they use it to push a hardware refresh.

• 3 months later...

So... a few years back I bought an LG monitor.  Thought I might do more creative-type stuff, so I bought a 27UK850... 27", 4K IPS LCD, nice metal frame, great color accuracy, only 60hz refresh rate.  And... yeah, I don't really do anything more creative than write Transfomer reviews here.  I browse the web some, but I've got laptops for that, too.  Mostly I use my desktop for gaming, and I've come to realize a few things:

-60hz is fine... but faster would be better.  I should have got a display with a higher refresh rate.
-Well, assuming I can go faster.  Turns out driving a hair over eight and a quarter million pixels is hard, even for an RTX 4070.  I'd have been better off with a 1440p.
-While 27" does seem to be the ideal vertical height for a display you're sitting around two and a half to three feet from, it leaves plenty of space in your peripheral vision that isn't monitor, and ultrawides are becoming more popular for that reason.
-I think IPS is ideal for doing work-stuff on a PC, but how awesome would games like Cyberpunk and Ghost of Tsushima look in OLED?

Long story short, I'm 99% sure I want to replace my monitor with an ultrawide OLED.  The question though, and what I'd like you guys' input on, is whether I should go 12:9 or 32:9?  I'm specifically looking at Samsung's Odyssey OLED G8 and Odyssey OLED G9.  Both display have an 1800R curve.  I measured, I should have just enough room for the G9.

I feel like the the 32:9 display on the G9 will better fill my field of view, and therefore make for more immersive gaming, and on the occasions when I am using my computer for other stuff I like that a 49" 32:9 display is basically the same as a pair of 27: 16:9 screens.  The G8 is cheaper, and 21:9 seems more widely supported in games than 32:9 right now, though.  But a 34" 21:9 display doesn't feel like as big of an upgrade/change.

It does sound like a huge upgrade, probably need more graphics power to get the most out of it too. Having a higher refresh rate in nice. I'm running an older ACER Predator 16:9 1080p 240Hz monitor and still looks good though it'd be nice to have HDR though.

Edited by TangledThorns

10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

...Long story short, I'm 99% sure I want to replace my monitor with an ultrawide OLED.  The question though, and what I'd like you guys' input on, is whether I should go 12:9 or 32:9?  I'm specifically looking at Samsung's Odyssey OLED G8 and Odyssey OLED G9. ...

Why are they using Mini-ports? 🤨 Screens with that much real estate and they're using Mini-ports? 🤨 

Pushing THAT many pixels with a 4070... I'd say go with the G8. But the G9 will likely be a more substantial upgrade.

5 hours ago, azrael said:

Why are they using Mini-ports? 🤨 Screens with that much real estate and they're using Mini-ports? 🤨 

Pushing THAT many pixels with a 4070... I'd say go with the G8. But the G9 will likely be a more substantial upgrade.

Ugh, I didn't notice the ports on the G8. That might be the deciding factor right there; the G9 at least has a regular HDMI and Display Port.

If I did my math right (not guaranteed), 32:9 @ 1440p is nearly a million pixels less than I'm currently driving on a 16:9 4k screen, so I'm not super worried about that. Right now I'm playing Ghost of Tsushima, and with DLSS and frame gen I'm still getting 100-ish fps on 4k High.

Edited by mikeszekely

I went with the G9 OLED (yes, my desk is a mess).

PXL_20240611_175618584.jpg.2f067fd22dd42f4f755bbc6613053b35.jpg

In the store, they had it displayed right next to an LG Ultra Gear OLED that was 21:9.  I admit that, in the store, I was kind of into the extra height.  But I had to remind myself that the monitor I had was already the same height, and that height was pretty ideal at my actual desk at the actual distance I sit from it.  Samsung's QD-OLED panels are supposed to be better than LG's, too, and I still liked the idea of running one monitor that was basically the same as two 16:9 27"-ers.

Got it setup, and was kind of freaking out because the display was glitching.  I notice that it was only glitching when it was displaying my PC, though; the menus and junk were all fine.  I replaced the nice braided Display Port cable I'd been using with the one that came with the G9, and the glitching stopped.  So far, I've noticed that even at max brightness it's not as bright as the IPS display I was using, but that's expected with OLED, and it's a fair trade off for the better contrast and deeper blacks.  Going in I was a little worried about text fringing; Windows does or didn't support ClearType, but it looks totally fine to me.  I can see why, even with the extra space, this monitor is a tad too big for productivity.  I have to turn my head to focus on the edges.  But I think filling my periphery will make for much more immersive gaming.

41 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I have to turn my head to focus on the edges.  But I think filling my periphery will make for much more immersive gaming.

Or you can sit farther back.

46 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I replaced the nice braided Display Port cable I'd been using with the one that came with the G9, and the glitching stopped. 

Unfortunately, not all cables are created equal. There was a recent video on Hardware Unboxed/Monitors Unboxed about DP cables. I'm going to wager that the cable you were using is not equal to the cable that came in the G9's box despite being "compatible". I recall I had a similar issue way way back.

21 minutes ago, azrael said:

Unfortunately, not all cables are created equal. There was a recent video on Hardware Unboxed/Monitors Unboxed about DP cables. I'm going to wager that the cable you were using is not equal to the cable that came in the G9's box despite being "compatible". I recall I had a similar issue way way back.

That's what I figured.  Not the end of the world, especially since they included a cable in the box (not always a given these days).

22 minutes ago, azrael said:

Nah.  If I wanted to do that, I'd have definitely gone with a taller 21:9 display.  The idea was maximum immersion in gaming. (and for simple web browsing I can just size a centered Chrome window to approximate my old 27" display anyway).  I switched from left-aligned to centered icons on the taskbar.  If I wanted to get serious work done, I can always use a different computer (I set my old monitor up as a display for my M1 Macbook).  Also, if I wanted to get serious work done, I'd probably have attempted to so by now.

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

In the store, they had it displayed right next to an LG Ultra Gear OLED that was 21:9.  I admit that, in the store, I was kind of into the extra height.  But I had to remind myself that the monitor I had was already the same height, and that height was pretty ideal at my actual desk at the actual distance I sit from it.  Samsung's QD-OLED panels are supposed to be better than LG's, too, and I still liked the idea of running one monitor that was basically the same as two 16:9 27"-ers.

Smart buying it at a store. When I bought my monitor it had several dead pixels so I was able to exchange at the store that I locally bought it from. Though the store was 45 minutes from my house it was a lot easier to deal with than shipping it back to a retailer.

Edited by TangledThorns

17 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

(yes, my desk is a mess).

That's fine. Personally, I don't trust anyone whose desk is too clean.

I'm also ashamed of all the random clutter on my desk, so... hypocrisy on my part. I set things down for a minute in a convenient empty space, and suddenly they have a forever home.

16 hours ago, azrael said:

Right; I ran into that recently with some HDMI cables I bought and had to return them. I later found my monitor could support DisplayPort and my PC had a DP port as well, so I went with that instead (bought a better cable this time around instead of bargain basement). Made a considerable difference, and with my monitor having built-in speakers, the DP cable allowed me to drop the aux cable for the speakers.

2 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I'm also ashamed of all the random clutter on my desk, so... hypocrisy on my part. I set things down for a minute in a convenient empty space, and suddenly they have a forever home.

Oh, I can relate:

100_0616.JPG.9f1d52554acf08b758f9d93ca0ed1e64.JPG

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

Mind you, that was after I removed a whole box of stuff to make room for the new monitor. Mostly Transformers.... I had all for Studio Series Dinobots on there, just waiting for Swoop, among others I'd been fiddling with.

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

I keep a clean desk. i just move all the clutter to the shelves and drawers surrounding my desk. Yeah...don't open that drawer....

2 hours ago, azrael said:

I keep a clean desk. i just move all the clutter to the shelves and drawers surrounding my desk. Yeah...don't open that drawer....

That'd work... If my desk wasn't actually an IKEA table without any drawers.