38 minutes ago, Bolt said:

So. Did the VF-4 use the GU-11 gun-pod?  Or was it an updated version that looked the same. I ask because ...I'm confused..:fool: 

Most of the time, the VF-4 didn't use a gun pod at all because it had a pair of built-in beam cannons as its main armament that could be exchanged for 30mm machine guns should projectile weapons be more advantageous.

It has occasionally been depicted, mainly by model kits, as being able to wield the VF-1's GU-11 gun pod.  Variable Fighter Master File also depicts it with this capability, though its version has the VF-4 using a variant of the GU-11 that has a more streamlined shape.

In Macross: Eternal Love Song, the VF-4 instead has a large beam rifle as its gun pod... but that game is part of the Macross II timeline.

45 minutes ago, Bolt said:

So. Did the VF-4 use the GU-11 gun-pod?  Or was it an updated version that looked the same. I ask because ...I'm confused..:fool: 

The question should be "did the VF-4 use a gun pod?"

And the answer is yes and no.  No when it is outside of an atmosphere (mainly due to the effectiveness of the beam guns in outer space), and yes in an atmosphere.

As for which gun pod (when one is used): the GU-11 is mostly used.  Namely because later gun pods have replaceable ammo clips with smaller payloads, and the VF-4 has no place to carry spare ammo clips.

Note: there is no information on whether each gun pod uses a specialized hardpoint (specific to each gun pod) or a general 'one-size-fits-all' hardpoint.  Arguably, the VF-4 could carry any gun pod (except for ones that require a large external power source, a la the VF-27's beam gun pod).

Thanks for the info guys! Ya, it's a bit confusing , gun pod or no and if so , which..? I need to get me a copy of the Variable Fighter master File VF-4. Need more references. Well, you've both given me some food for thought. Cheers!

16 hours ago, Bolt said:

Thanks for the info guys! Ya, it's a bit confusing , gun pod or no and if so , which..?

In terms of its official appearances, the VF-4 is depicted without a gun pod in Flash Back 2012Macross Digital Mission VF-XMacross 7 Trash, etc.

The only official appearance I can recall where it does have a gun pod is Macross: Eternal Love Song, in which it has a large beam rifle similar to the Zeta Gundam's.

It's mostly model kits and such that depict the VF-4 with a gun pod.

16 hours ago, Bolt said:

I need to get me a copy of the Variable Fighter master File VF-4. Need more references. Well, you've both given me some food for thought. Cheers!

's worth noting the "GU-11C" in Master File differs quite a bit from official gun pod designs.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

In terms of its official appearances, the VF-4 is depicted without a gun pod in Flash Back 2012Macross Digital Mission VF-XMacross 7 Trash, etc.

Yup. Those are most of my references.

The only official appearance I can recall where it does have a gun pod is Macross: Eternal Love Song, in which it has a large beam rifle similar to the Zeta Gundam's.

I have NOT seen that, I don't think. Interweb sleuthing..

It's mostly model kits and such that depict the VF-4 with a gun pod.

Yes, and i may be guilty of that , as well soon. It just looks so cool and proper with a gun pod! I understand it was deemed "unnecessary " for the design, in universe. 
Trying  to think of other VF's that don't typically have a gun pod as standard..

's worth noting the "GU-11C" in Master File differs quite a bit from official gun pod designs.

How so.?

11 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I have NOT seen that, I don't think. Interweb sleuthing..

You won't find much, it was a PC Engine game from the early 90's made as one of two game tie-ins to Macross II.

Yes, and i may be guilty of that , as well soon. It just looks so cool and proper with a gun pod! I understand it was deemed "unnecessary " for the design, in universe. 
Trying  to think of other VF's that don't typically have a gun pod as standard..

The main VFs that omit a gunpod are the VF-4, Variable Glaug, VAB-2/FBz-99, and VB-6.  

How so.?

It's longer than the regular GU-11[A], the grip was moved to the back portion beneath the ejection port, it's more streamlined, and the underside acquired this weird pump action shotgun-like grip that runs almost the entire length of the front part of the gun.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's longer than the regular GU-11[A], the grip was moved to the back portion beneath the ejection port, it's more streamlined, and the underside acquired this weird pump action shotgun-like grip that runs almost the entire length of the front part of the gun.

That really sounds weird... moving the grip to the back part (which slides back from the main body on the regular GU-11) is going to put stress on that part. I know it's probably made out of OT materials, but that's still not a good idea IMO.

This is really not a Robotech-friendly site as the rules will remind you... discussion of it is only permitted as it relates to Macross.  Probably best to just forget the R-word entirely.

Just now, Spark-O-Matic said:

1. Is there a sub forum for Proper Cleaning, Preservation & Repair of Toys?.

No.  There are topics about care and cleaning in the Toys section, though.

3. Why did Bandai not Reissue or bring back the Go-Bots(under a different name)

Because Go-Bots was a less-than-successful western rebranding of Bandai's Machine Robo toy line by Tonka, which was bought out by Hasbro in 1991 and folded into Transformers.

Bandai continues to market the Machine Robo toy line in Japan to this day, though mostly through a spinoff called Mugenbine (originally Machine Robo Mugenbine until 2008) and the occasional anniversary special toy marketed under the original Machine Robo name.

or merge them into the Macross Universe?

... why would anyone want to do that?  

Macross and Machine Robo are from two different genres, for two wildly different age groups, and they're not owned by the same company.  Bandai owns Machine Robo, but Big West and Studio Nue jointly own Macross.  Bandai is a Macross licensee only.

5. Has anyone ever made a convincing timeline merging the macross/robotech universe with the G1 Transformers timeline? example the SDF planted the seeds for cybertron billions of years ago and was created by cybernetic beings instead of the protoculture?

Eh... how can I put this gently?

That kind of goofy and deeply unnecessary crossover schtick is more the content-starved Robotech fandom's thing than ours.

11. Has HG abandoned the robotech website/forum.. its filled with bot posts almost 6 months old and they moved there store to Crunchyroll.  I joined but was not aware they just abandoned it with no mods to watch it or care for the community. not sure what the story is?

They abandoned the whole brand years ago.

I will send a more detailed explanation by PM, but the short version of the story is that they licensed control of the franchise to Funimation back in '19 after a string of embarrassing failures to relaunch the brand and then bent the knee and became a Macross release partner after losing a series of court battles over trademark rights to Macross's owners.  They've effectively retired the brand, save for streaming licensing and a small amount of merchandise needed to hang onto their US trademark.

This is really not a Robotech-friendly site as the rules will remind you... discussion of it is only permitted as it relates to Macross.  Probably best to just forget the R-word entirely.

No.  There are topics about care and cleaning in the Toys section, though.

Because Go-Bots was a less-than-successful western rebranding of Bandai's Machine Robo toy line by Tonka, which was bought out by Hasbro in 1991 and folded into Transformers.

Bandai continues to market the Machine Robo toy line in Japan to this day, though mostly through a spinoff called Mugenbine (originally Machine Robo Mugenbine until 2008) and the occasional anniversary special toy marketed under the original Machine Robo name.

... why would anyone want to do that?  

Macross and Machine Robo are from two different genres, for two wildly different age groups, and they're not owned by the same company.  Bandai owns Machine Robo, but Big West and Studio Nue jointly own Macross.  Bandai is a Macross licensee only.

Eh... how can I put this gently?

That kind of goofy and deeply unnecessary crossover schtick is more the content-starved Robotech fandom's thing than ours.

They abandoned the whole brand years ago.

I will send a more detailed explanation by PM, but the short version of the story is that they licensed control of the franchise to Funimation back in '19 after a string of embarrassing failures to relaunch the brand and then bent the knee and became a Macross release partner after losing a series of court battles over trademark rights to Macross's owners.  They've effectively retired the brand, save for streaming licensing and a small amount of merchandise needed to hang onto their US trademark.

Amen to all the above.

2 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

1. Is there a sub forum for Proper Cleaning, Preservation & Repair of Toys?.

2. How would you clean a box with a window that has not been cleaned in 30+ years?(strangely enough inside unopened this box has a dead bug too like my VF-1J had but both boxes came from opposite sides of the country.

2.1 How often have you found things inside sealed boxes that should not have been inside it?

3. Why did Bandai not Reissue or bring back the Go-Bots(under a different name) or merge them into the Macross Universe?

4. Has anyone ever made custom combiners with skull squadron similar to Voltron or the Ariel bots from TF   example 1/48 Body and arms and legs with 1/72 parts with a custom head.

5. Has anyone ever made a convincing timeline merging the macross/robotech universe with the G1 Transformers timeline? example the SDF planted the seeds for cybertron billions of years ago and was created by cybernetic beings instead of the protoculture?

6. Now that the God of Flame is out do you believe we will see other companies and even Bandai getting in on the action? with jetfires in everything but name?

7. Who is the most famous macross/robotech person to visit this forum?

8. Do we have Purest(those who never play with toys insisting they are boxed sealed) vs. Players( those who believe keeping an unplayed with toy in a box is abuse) or is that just something other robot community's have evolved into. I think I'm more in the middle

9. Is there any well known unofficial brands who make high quality macross stuff kinda like transformers has or is the HG/BG Guys too controlling to let that stuff slip in?

10. What's the longest time this forum has been offline?

11. Has HG abandoned the robotech website/forum.. its filled with bot posts almost 6 months old and they moved there store to Crunchyroll.  I joined but was not aware they just abandoned it with no mods to watch it or care for the community. not sure what the story is?

12. Who is the biggest collector here? and what would that mean?

13. :)

Umm. You be spamming questions a bit there. Obviously there's an extensive toy thread here  , if you have toy related questions Just look around and ask in the appropriate thread. 

Okay, do Zentraedi/Meltrandi suffer from genetic degradation issues a la Warframe's Grineers? I think it might be a possibility in some Factory Satellites, given how the Zentraedi do not know how to repair them and they also rely on them for cloning.

Also, do different fleets have their own dialects of the Zentraedi language given the distances of the fleets plus millions of years ? How do they prevent language drift?

Edited by cheemingwan1234

Just now, cheemingwan1234 said:

Okay, do Zentraedi/Meltrandi suffer from genetic degradation issues a la Warframe's Grineers? I think it might be a possibility in some Factory Satellites, given how the Zentraedi do not know how to make them,

Thus far, no such issue has been mentioned.  The ancient Protoculture's tech is basically Ragnarok-proof, with only battle damage really being enough to cause it to break down or malfunction.  The factory satellites doing large-scale cloning have been doing so for half a million years without apparent incident.

The only genetic or biochemical abnormalities that have been mentioned in connection with the Zentradi to date have been in children born via natural reproduction.  Like the half-Zentradi Guld Goa Bowman's issues with managing his Zentradi side's heightened aggression in Macross Plus.  Or Cpt. Klan Klan's genetic abnormality that causes her to revert to a childlike form when micloned but return to her true biological age as a giant.  The most severe example being Michael Blanc, whose mixed heritage apparently gave him some rare genetic issue that causes no health problems normally but would make him terribly ill if he were ever to use a micloning system.

Just now, cheemingwan1234 said:

Also, do different fleets have their own dialects of the Zentraedi language? How do they prevent language drift?

None mentioned.  It would not be entirely unreasonable for there to be some, given that the Zentradi forces were originally maintained by Protoculture colonies across the galaxy that may have had different regional accents or dialects.  

It could be said that the Zentradi language itself is something like a dialect of the Protoculture language.  One specializing entirely in military matters with no words for things outside that narrow field.

On 1/5/2023 at 10:06 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Thus far, no such issue has been mentioned.  The ancient Protoculture's tech is basically Ragnarok-proof, with only battle damage really being enough to cause it to break down or malfunction.

McDonald's should have them build their ice cream machines for them then; they'd work for a change!!! :rofl:

Edited by pengbuzz

32 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

McDonald's should have them build their ice cream machines for them then; they'd work for a change!!! :rofl:

Given the distressing frequency with which surviving Protoculture technology is either a weapon of apocalyptic destruction or the seal on a weapon of apocalyptic destruction, I'm not sure I'd trust any appliance manufactured by the Protoculture to be benign in nature.  That ice cream machine's probably an entropy control weapon or the cooling system from some autonomous genocide engine that makes the Death Star look modest in its scale and destructive ambition.  In Macross Delta, they couldn't even build a telepathy machine without the damned thing carrying a serious risk of accidentally genociding every sentient species in the galaxy.

As an engineer, I feel compelled to say that if "normal operation may cause the unintended destruction of all sentient life" is on your DFMEA as a potential failure mode, you are doing something very very VERY wrong and need to stop IMMEDIATELY if not sooner.

(Such an advanced civilization would surely scoff at the primitive likes of McDonald's anyway... surely the base level of their fast food has to be at least Culver's.)

Newbie question!! I had my home broken into and my back up drive was stolen. I believe there was a big macross torrent on this site at one time...230gigs or something? Has it migrated elsewhere? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I buy what I can of Macross but being state-side it's not always easy to obtain content. Having these files with the subs and everything was how I got to see a lot of Macross. I appreciate any help.

5 minutes ago, foodmart said:

Newbie question!! I had my home broken into and my back up drive was stolen. I believe there was a big macross torrent on this site at one time...230gigs or something? Has it migrated elsewhere? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I buy what I can of Macross but being state-side it's not always easy to obtain content. Having these files with the subs and everything was how I got to see a lot of Macross. I appreciate any help.

• Copyrights and Trademarks - File sharing and Streaming links
    File sharing and streaming links are not allowed on this website. MacrossWorld.com is NOT a file sharing website. Please go elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, foodmart said:

That was probably not this site, and as @azrael already pointed out we can't link to or endorse copyright infringing material here.

The good news is that soon you will be able to replace those fansubs with legitimate subtitled home video releases for almost all titles thanks to the licensing stalemate being broken in 2021.

2 hours ago, cheemingwan1234 said:

So, what's the maximum lifespan of a Zentraedi? What do the Zentraedi fleets do with Zentraedi too old/ worn out to fight?

(Shuddering at the implications especially with that quote from the Human Hive in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri when you develop recycling tanks)

What do you think they serve in the galley on their ships? :p

7 hours ago, cheemingwan1234 said:

What do the Zentraedi fleets do with Zentraedi too old/ worn out to fight?

Well, Kamjin used one as an excuse to shoot the Macross when he was told to fire a warning shot.

Beyond that... *shrug*

I assume they do their assigned tasks until they are unable, and then they keel over dead.

6 hours ago, cheemingwan1234 said:

So, what's the maximum lifespan of a Zentraedi?

The last time the topic was broached in-series in Macross 7, in-series medical science did not yet have an answer to the question of what the natural life expectancy of a Zentradi is.

In "Which one do you love?", Milia gets sick and WebMD's herself into believing she's dying and goes on a rampage across the fleet to tie up her loose ends.  The episode ends with Dr. Chiba chiming in to point out that her self-diagnosis is wrong and she just has a cold.

The subject never really comes up again after that, though.  It isn't until Macross Frontier and its side stories that we start to see Zentradi in the general populace on a regular basis, as they'd been restricted to Jenius family members and the occasional antagonist or throwaway background character up to that point.  It's then that we start seeing apparently middle-aged and elderly Zentradi civilians like Ranka's (later Sheryl's) manager Elmo Kridanik and the owner of SMS and its parent company Richard Bilra.  Based on them, Zentradi appear to age at approximately the same rate humans do, which would jive with what's said as far back as the original series about them being virtually identical to humans genetically.

Richard Bilra was a former subordinate of Vrlitwhai Kridanik's during the First Space War, so he would be somewhere between 70 and 87 years old, and he looks the part.  Ranka's (and later, Sheryl's) manager Elmo Kridanik is said to be the son of a famous First Space War commander (both Macross Chronicle and the light novel lean heavily into him being Vrlitwhai's son) and a retired Lt. Colonel in the Earth NUNS, meaning he's likely in his late 30's or early 40's.  

6 hours ago, cheemingwan1234 said:

What do the Zentraedi fleets do with Zentraedi too old/ worn out to fight?

We don't know.

The topic only comes up once, in an episode of the original SDF Macross series.  Quamzin mentions an "old timer" aboard his ship who's due to be retired, but we never learn what that entails or when it occurs.  They just use that older soldier's degraded abilities as an excuse to violate orders and hit the Macross directly with what was supposed to be a warning shot, setting up the events of "Blind Game".

With the Zentradi lacking culture and any kind of society outside of their military organization and duties, it seems likely that "retiring" an old soldier means euthanasia and having their biomass broken down and recycled for the creation of fresh troops.

On 1/7/2023 at 9:42 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

The good news is that soon you will be able to replace those fansubs with legitimate subtitled home video releases for almost all titles thanks to the licensing stalemate being broken in 2021.

I'm still wondering why we haven't heard anything from Nozomi since. But considering they were apparently recently bought by Crunchyroll....I don't wanna come to the worst conclusion, but it's mildly worrying.

16 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Based on them, Zentradi appear to age at approximately the same rate humans do, which would jive with what's said as far back as the original series about them being virtually identical to humans genetically.

Seems to be the case, though I still think it's kinda funny that Timoshee from VF X2 has been working as a soldier since the SW1, and by 2051 he still looks like a somewhat young adult.

16 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Ranka's (and later, Sheryl's) manager Elmo Kridanik is said to be the son of a famous First Space War commander (both Macross Chronicle and the light novel lean heavily into him being Vrlitwhai's son) and a retired Lt. Colonel in the Earth NUNS, meaning he's likely in his late 30's or early 40's.  

Huh...I never really caught his last name! Kinda funny that him (at the very least his last name) and a SDFN class named after him would be the closest thing he'd be referenced by after the original series.

1 hour ago, TG Remix said:

I'm still wondering why we haven't heard anything from Nozomi since. But considering they were apparently recently bought by Crunchyroll....I don't wanna come to the worst conclusion, but it's mildly worrying.

There's really nothing to worry about. They are a busy company. RightStuf has been putting out anime sets consistently since that announcement and Crunchyroll buying them.

It's actually rather common for anime distributors to not be super transparent. There's really nothing to tell us except when the final release date is and that likely will be shortly before that date anyway. We know it's being worked on, the official sub of Macross 7 episode 1 has been played at conventions already.

They are a busy company doing more than just Macross stuff, sometimes we just gotta trust things are moving. 

4 hours ago, TG Remix said:

Nah, localization teams seldom barrage the audience with news during the dub/sub production process.

Plus mergers and acquisitions tend to upend production schedules at even the best-organized companies... and I unfortunately am living that experience myself right now. :rofl: 

I see no cause for concern.

Seems to be the case, though I still think it's kinda funny that Timoshee from VF X2 has been working as a soldier since the SW1, and by 2051 he still looks like a somewhat young adult.

Yeah, he and Naresuan seem to get that Jenius family "looks young into their 50's" thing.

Huh...I never really caught his last name! Kinda funny that him (at the very least his last name) and a SDFN class named after him would be the closest thing he'd be referenced by after the original series.

He actually puts in a couple appearances in video games and the like... though the only one that's part of an official timeline that has him make a prominent appearance is Macross 2036, where his ship is the flagship of the UN Spacy force defending against the Zentradi Neld main fleet.

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nah, localization teams seldom barrage the audience with news during the dub/sub production process.

Plus mergers and acquisitions tend to upend production schedules at even the best-organized companies... and I unfortunately am living that experience myself right now. :rofl: 

I see no cause for concern.

Yeah, he and Naresuan seem to get that Jenius family "looks young into their 50's" thing.

He actually puts in a couple appearances in video games and the like... though the only one that's part of an official timeline that has him make a prominent appearance is Macross 2036, where his ship is the flagship of the UN Spacy force defending against the Zentradi Neld main fleet.

Makes you wonder if Max 's hair is still blue and he has to dye it grey just to convince people he's aging! :rofl:

On 1/3/2023 at 11:06 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Most of the time, the VF-4 didn't use a gun pod at all because it had a pair of built-in beam cannons as its main armament that could be exchanged for 30mm machine guns should projectile weapons be more advantageous.

It has occasionally been depicted, mainly by model kits, as being able to wield the VF-1's GU-11 gun pod.  Variable Fighter Master File also depicts it with this capability, though its version has the VF-4 using a variant of the GU-11 that has a more streamlined shape.

In Macross: Eternal Love Song, the VF-4 instead has a large beam rifle as its gun pod... but that game is part of the Macross II timeline.

colorcode-vf4.gif (923×900) (macross2.net)

VFs are not Omnimechs. Are you sure they even mention the ease of swapping those over nacelle weapons*? Is it possible the 30mm guns are a variant of the common VF-4?

*after spending a bit of time looking at the imagery and imagination, i would figure any swapping of parts would include the entire arm assembly (mostly because the logical locations to remove the housing of the weapon cannot be reached in Fighter mode, unless the module (and arm) slides forward and slightly up, away from the nacelle below, in Fighter mode. thinking about that, alone, maybe is the reason the VF-4 was replaced as soon as it could be; The transformation sequence alone must of made it a maintenance nightmare...

9 hours ago, TehPW said:

colorcode-vf4.gif (923×900) (macross2.net)

VFs are not Omnimechs. Are you sure they even mention the ease of swapping those over nacelle weapons*? Is it possible the 30mm guns are a variant of the common VF-4?

While we have only ever actually seen the VF-4 with the beam cannon mount and the "lightweight" configuration in which the entire arm is removed, it is mentioned in a number of sources that it is possible to install other equipment in those areas.

It's not said how easy it is to make that exchange, but it's been suggested/indicated that the cannon with the hard rounds was more popular with the rarer atmospheric-use variants of the VF-4.

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, RaisingCane said:

Did every Zentradi commander like Britai have an adviser like Exedol, or was Exedol some kind of one-off?

We haven't seen a broad enough sample of Zentradi fleets to know one way or the other.

Based on the very limited sample we have, it seems likely that having a records officer/archivist is a perk of rank for the commanders of branch fleets and larger formations.  Vrlitwhai had a records officer, but a division commander like Quamzin doesn't appear to have been extended the same privilege given that he was accompanied by the similarly gung-ho but not terribly bright Oigul instead.  Ogotai in Macross Frontier was the same type as Vrlitwhai and presumably a former branch fleet commander, and he also has a records officer.