So c'mon guys, without giving any spoilers away, how was it? Good, bad, great?

Graham

Great, definitely Great! You will not be disappointed at all!

I haven't read the entire comic series but they certainly managed to keep it VERY close to the original work.

I won't repeat the praise already mentioned here, but I will add that what fascinated me most about this show and it will be something that I know will repeat itself throughout is how at times you don't know what is to come...drama or suspense. Will it be talk or is a zombie going to make things interesting in a scene. Your heart will pump and either way you will be pleased!

A few people here in the office saw it and were also really into it, and more are to follow next week.

Will be watching this show for sure!!!

In Zombie movies they are DEAD. Dead being decaying mass of flesh, sinew and bones. So that being said why do they need to eat

Zombies are UNDEAD...meaning they are creatures that for all intense and purposes are dead but their brain lives on and has basic functionality...one of those is to feed on living flesh, that is the fantasy of it, no need for science, if we could explain zombies scientifically then god forbid they're out there somewhere for real!

So as I saw in last nights show very disgusting to put on TV so early, is a women clearly torn from the waist showing signs of heavy decomposition crawling in the park and either recognizing her boyfriend cop as dinner or someone she knew so is she alive?

10pm on a Sunday doesn't strike me as early Prime Time TV...as a kid I was in bed at this time for sure...and if you noticed there were plenty of warnings before each segment started. As for the stump in the park, she was a random zombie, added for dramatic effect to show the emotional state of the main character.

So is the body dead and the brain alive? If that is the case does the body waste away until there is only brains left rolling around and looking for FRY! So the birds are eating the corpse are they going to be zombies too. And they move so slow.

See what I wrote above...and yes the body does rot eventually the mystery is does this slow due to the fact that zombies feed on living flesh, maybe...again it's part of the lore and has no valid "explanation" like you saw in I am Legend. As for birds eating corpses this too changes from story to story, in Resident Evil any animal that is bit or eats from the undead become one, in World War Z and the rest of Romero's zombie tales they do not.

And they move so slow. You mean to tell me you cant napalm them to hell?

Yes, the generally accepted speed of a zombie is slow...however from what we saw last night these

have a step or two quicker then your average lurker when they find food

Also Napalm, conventional weapons, current military tactics are null and void when faced with a swarm. I suggest you read World War Z and skip to the chapter where they talked about the Battle of Yonkers. You have to keep in mind that this enemy has no concept of surrender, retreat, negotiations, tactics, its hundreds, thousands, millions of creatures with nothing to hinder them.

This and the whole concept of Zombies is very childish.

Some would say

so called zombies were created from a mutated gene strain to cure cancer. They are allergic to sunlight, and have avaricious appetite for meat.

But they move fast, can be shot other than the head and display drone intelligence

is pretty childish but then again its all fiction and should be enjoyed as such.

The idea is novice and can be produced cheaply...there are dozens of B rated zombie movies, the real story behind what these movies show are.

The instincts of humanity trying to survive, the individual strife someone goes through when their entire world literally crashes all around them, little by little. Also you see the drama created between people trying to live, how conflicts, betrayal and compassion manifests themselves.

Anyways, I suggest giving it another try...at worse you'll change the channel, at best you'll learn to appreciate a entirely new genre of movie.

Edited by Zor Primus

I'm not familiar with zombie fiction. But

I assumed that dead is dead but there seems to be some remnant memory going on. For example, the kid that picks up the teddy bear in the beginning (which was an awesome way to start the show, the torn of face that revealed the braces was pretty effective.) and Morgan's wife returning to the house.

This is probably in the books so don't spoil for me what it is. Even in a spoiler tag because I'll be reading comments on episodes aired. Thanks!

I recommend it to non zombie apocalypse fans like me or even people that aren't big on horror. I didn't really think it was that scary even though I can say that it's gory and surprising. The one thing I wasn't expecting was that it's really emotional. Someone previously mentioned a great scene that was unexpectedly heart felt. There were a couple of scenes actually. Seems silly typing about it but it makes the show better than what it should be.

I assumed that dead is dead but there seems to be some remnant memory going on. For example, the kid that picks up the teddy bear in the beginning (which was an awesome way to start the show, the torn of face that revealed the braces was pretty effective.) and Morgan's wife returning to the house.

This is probably in the books so don't spoil for me what it is. Even in a spoiler tag because I'll be reading comments on episodes aired. Thanks!

I recommend it to non zombie apocalypse fans like me or even people that aren't big on horror. I didn't really think it was that scary even though I can say that it's gory and surprising. The one thing I wasn't expecting was that it's really emotional. Someone previously mentioned a great scene that was unexpectedly heart felt. There were a couple of scenes actually. Seems silly typing about it but it makes the show better than what it should be.

Dont get me wrong I like the concept of Post Apocalyptic movies. The Road really had me sitting in the dark and brooding, and cannibalization surfaced a fact of survival. In I am Legend. I watched the struggle of a man racked by guilt and going nuts alone in the world. Even others like Mad Max or Planet of the Apes. And this is why I did watch it. But the concept of Zombies going around duh uuuuuu ummm aaaa makes me laugh pretty hard. I guess its just me. PS I also liked Denzil Washingtons movie of the last bible thumper on earth even though I am an avid agnostic

Yeah...it varies from story to story...Like I said I never finished the graphic novel series but it seems that as far as this story goes

some zombies would retain a trace of memory.

goofing off on the internet and found this

kinda funny!

http://www.fvza.org/zscience2.html

January 17, 2006

The Return of the Puppet Masters

Email This Entry

Posted by Carl Zimmer

Are brain parasites altering the personalities of three billion people? The question emerged a few years ago, and it shows no signs of going away.

I first encountered this idea while working on my book Parasite Rex. I was investigating the remarkable ability parasites have to manipulate the behavior of their hosts. The lancet fluke Dicrocoelium dendriticum, for example, forces its ant host to clamp itself to the tip of grass blades, where a grazing mammal might eat it. It's in the fluke's interest to get eaten, because only by getting into the gut of a sheep or some other grazer can it complete its life cycle. Another fluke, Euhaplorchis californiensis, causes infected fish to shimmy and jump, greatly increasing the chance that wading birds will grab them.

Those parasites were weird enough, but then I got to know Toxoplasma gondii. This single-celled parasite lives in the guts of cats, sheddding eggs that can be picked up by rats and other animals that can just so happen be eaten by cats. Toxoplasma forms cysts throughout its intermediate host's body, including the brain. And yet a Toxoplasma-ridden rat is perfectly healthy. That makes good sense for the parasite, since a cat would not be particularly interested in eating a dead rat. But scientists at Oxford discovered that the parasite changes the rats in one subtle but vital way.

The scientists studied the rats in a six-foot by six-foot outdoor enclosure. They used bricks to turn it into a maze of paths and cells. In each corner of the enclosure they put a nest box along with a bowl of food and water. On each the nests they added a few drops of a particular odor. On one they added the scent of fresh straw bedding, on another the bedding from a rat's nests, on another the scent of rabbit urine, on another, the urine of a cat. When they set healthy rats loose in the enclosure, the animals rooted around curiously and investigated the nests. But when they came across the cat odor, they shied away and never returned to that corner. This was no surprise: the odor of a cat triggers a sudden shift in the chemistry of rat brains that brings on intense anxiety. (When researchers test anti-anxiety drugs on rats, they use a whiff of cat urine to make them panic.) The anxiety attack made the healthy rats shy away from the odor and in general makes them leery of investigating new things. Better to lie low and stay alive.

Then the researchers put Toxoplasma-carrying rats in the enclosure. Rats carrying the parasite are for the most part indistinguishable from healthy ones. They can compete for mates just as well and have no trouble feeding themselves. The only difference, the researchers found, is that they are more likely to get themselves killed. The scent of a cat in the enclosure didn't make them anxious, and they went about their business as if nothing was bothering them. They would explore around the odor at least as often as they did anywhere else in the enclosure. In some cases, they even took a special interest in the spot and came back to it over and over again.

The scientists speculated that Toxoplasma was secreted some substance that was altering the patterns of brain activity in the rats. This manipulation likely evolved through natural selection, since parasites that were more likely to end up in cats would leave more offpsring.

The Oxford scientists knew that humans can be hosts to Toxoplasma, too. People can become infected by its eggs by handling soil or kitty litter. For most people, the infection causes no harm. Only if a person's immune system is weak does Toxoplasma grow uncontrollably. That's why pregnant women are advised not to handle kitty litter, and why toxoplasmosis is a serious risk for people with AIDS. Otherwise, the parasite lives quietly in people's bodies (and brains). It's estimated that about half of all people on Earth are infected with Toxoplasma.

Given that human and rat brains have a lot of similarities (they share the same basic anatomy and use the same neurotransmitters), a question naturally arose: if Toxoplasma can alter the behavior of a rat, could it alter a human? Obviously, this manipulation would not do the parasite any good as an adaptation, since it's pretty rare for a human to be devoured by a cat. But it could still have an effect.

Some scientists believe that Toxoplasma changes the personality of its human hosts, bringing different shifts to men and women. Parasitologist Jaroslav Flegr of Charles University in Prague administered psychological questionnaires to people infected with Toxoplasma and controls. Those infected, he found, show a small, but statistically significant, tendency to be more self-reproaching and insecure. Paradoxically, infected women, on average, tend to be more outgoing and warmhearted than controls, while infected men tend to be more jealous and suspicious.

It's controversial work, disputed by many. But it attracted the attention of E. Fuller Torrey of the Stanley Medical Research Institute in Bethesda, Maryland. Torrey and his colleagues had noticed some intriguing links between Toxoplasma and schizophrenia. Infection with the parasite has been associated with damage to a certain class of neurons (astrocytes). So has schizophrenia. Pregnant women with high levels of Toxoplasma antibodies in their blood were more likely to give birth to children who would later develop schizophrenia. Torrey lays out more links in this 2003 paper. While none is a smoking gun, they are certainly food for thought. It's conceivable that exposure to Toxoplasma causes subtle changes in most people's personality, but in a small minority, it has more devastating effects.

A year later, Torrey and his colleagues discovered one more fascinating link. They raised human cells in Petri dishes and infected them with Toxoplasma. Then they dosed the cells with a variety of drugs used to treat schizophrenia. Several of the drugs--most notably haloperidol--blocked the growth of the parasite.

So Fuller and the Oxford scientists joined forces to find an answer to the next logical question: can drugs used to treat schizophrenia help a parasite-crazed rat? They now report their results in the Proceedings of the Royal Society of London (press release). They ran the original tests on 49 more rats. Once again, parasitized rats lost their healthy fear of cats. Then the researchers treated the rats with haloperidol and several other anti-psychotic drugs. They found that the drugs made the rats more scared. They also found that the antipsychotics were as effective as pyrimethamine, a drug that is specifically used to eliminate Toxoplasma.

There's plenty left to do to turn these results into a full-blown explanation of parasites and personalities. For example, what is Toxoplasma releasing into brains to manipulate its hosts? And how does that substance give rise to schizophrenia in some humans? And even if the hypothesis does hold up, it would only account for some cases of schizophrenia, while the cause of others would remain undiscovered. But still...the idea that parasites are tinkering with humanity's personality--perhaps even giving rise to cultural diversity--is taking over my head like a bad case of Toxoplasma.

Update 2/9: link to new PRSL paper fixed.

Comments (98) + TrackBacks (7) | Category: The Parasite Files

Edited by Snail00

Enjoyed the show last night. Post Apocalyptic movies are a longtime fave of mine, and Zombie filled settings are still in that alley. When I was watching last night, it dawned on me on how nothing like this was done for TV/Cable before. Just surprised nobody's tried before until now. Still, it's been a long while since I watched a zombie flick. Seeing if I can still remember all the survival rules and if they apply to a TV series like this :ph34r:

heh.. ware-wolf... evil wolves who dress as door to door flatware salesmen. You open the door to see the dining plate but YOU'RE what's for dinner! DUN DUN DUN! :D

You know what? That's a movie idea right there. Horror-Comedy? A twist with Little Red Riding Hood?

Edited by Warmaker

So I really dont understand the fascination about zombies, ware wolfs, and vampires. Pretty lamo monsters to scare a 9 year old maybe. Space monsters Yeah

Monsters like giant sharks and crocs yeah. And even ghosts and corporate executives can be scary.

Now I watched last nights show and it fascinates me more of what the last man standing would do in an empty world. That is why I loved I Am Legend. It took it at from a scientific standpoint. The so called zombies were created from a mutated gene strain to cure cancer. They are allergic to sunlight, and have avaricious appetite for meat.

But they move fast, can be shot other than the head and display drone intelligence. And they are alive not dead corpses.

In Zombie movies they are DEAD. Dead being decaying mass of flesh, sinew and bones. So that being said why do they need to eat?

All you will need to do is let them starve and they would waste away. Why does a DEAD thing need to eat. So as I saw in last nights show very disgusting to put on TV so early, is a women clearly torn from the waist showing signs of heavy decomposition crawling in the park and either recognizing her boyfriend cop as dinner or someone she knew so is she alive? And magically she dies with a bullet in her head. So is the body dead and the brain alive? If that is the case does the body waste away until there is only brains left rolling around and looking for FRY! So the birds are eating the corpse are they going to be zombies too. And they move so slow. You mean to tell me you cant napalm them to hell? This and the whole concept of Zombies is very childish. Although I loved I am Legend and the Road which is very unsettling for a post apocalyptic movie.

Troll...

HI all,

HUGE fan of Zombie flicks, don't own any though.... Never read any Zombie related material as of yet, an don't see that in the future... Last night's 1st eppy was awesome! So far the only thing that irks me, is the fact that my satilite setup only has AMC as a preview for a month! AHHHHHHH!!! Am already thinking of buying the seasonal dvd's when they come out, lol... Noone I know of likes Zombie flicks, an the local movie store probably won't be caring any of 'em.... One could hope though, all dependant on the show's success I guess..

After Nov. is over i'll be in this thread like a hawk... NO problem with spoilers, as they won't mean a whole lot to me, lol... So keep me informed guys!

Eric J....

Troll...

Exactly. For someone who doesn't give a damn about the genre, he sure likes to post a lot on the subject. :rolleyes:

That being said, awesome AWESOME premiere! Even better than what I hoped for. And with the ratings bonanza that the first episode brought in, I think it's about time to greenlight season 2! :)

In Zombie movies they are DEAD. Dead being decaying mass of flesh, sinew and bones. So that being said why do they need to eat?You mean to tell me you cant napalm them to hell? This and the whole concept of Zombies is very childish.

Actually scientifically zombies are very possible. This is from the little medical and natural science knowledge I have.

It’s a bacterium that feeds off the bonding structure of the white blood cells, and perfectly lives within the fluids that compound within the nervous system to the brain. However as it converts blood, the human heart rejects it, and stops beating, thus the person dies. Although the bacteria still lives on and manages to have control of the brain’s motor, albeit slow as the blood circulation has halted into a thicker substance, so gone are those quick and calculative reflexes. (Sort of like when someone gets high, as the dope slows down the blood circulation, it increases the person’s stupidity.) Sight in Zombies is limited due to dehydration, thus strengthening hearing and scent senses to seek fresh un-mutated blood that the bacteria hungers. And apparently various bacteria can live in open air as long as their within the slightest moisture, so it doesn’t matter if the body is decaying. And finally, a bullet to the brain amputates the bacteria’s control to the whole body. This could very well be the bacteria’s own next step in evolution. ;):p

Troll...

are you trolling the troll Idiot!

Yeah lets me make a topic and say nothing but good things about

Never discuss anything but love and adoration. Never be a little bit critical.

Obviously you cant read my post. Hypocrite !

Actually scientifically zombies are very possible. This is from the little medical and natural science knowledge I have.

It’s a bacterium that feeds off the bonding structure of the white blood cells, and perfectly lives within the fluids that compound within the nervous system to the brain. However as it converts blood, the human heart rejects it, and stops beating, thus the person dies. Although the bacteria still lives on and manages to have control of the brain’s motor, albeit slow as the blood circulation has halted into a thicker substance, so gone are those quick and calculative reflexes. (Sort of like when someone gets high, as the dope slows down the blood circulation, it increases the person’s stupidity.) Sight in Zombies is limited due to dehydration, thus strengthening hearing and scent senses to seek fresh un-mutated blood that the bacteria hungers. And apparently various bacteria can live in open air as long as their within the slightest moisture, so it doesn’t matter if the body is decaying. And finally, a bullet to the brain amputates the bacteria’s control to the whole body. This could very well be the bacteria’s own next step in evolution. ;):p

Yeah I found some info on that and post it, interesting stuff and I know of a Fungi that takes over insects bodies and controls their actions to climb into the trees where it then kills the host and grows the spores to only release it again in some unsuspecting host.

There's being critical and then there's being a troll. The two things are pretty different.

Example:

Critical: Personally, zombies don't do it for me but I checked out the show because I like apocalypse shows.

Troll: Zombies are lame, I can't believe people like them. Maybe if you're a child.

See, you can express your opinions without insulting everyone who has different opinions from you. That's the difference between "Critical" and "Troll".

There's being critical and then there's being a troll. The two things are pretty different.

Example:

Critical: Personally, zombies don't do it for me but I checked out the show because I like apocalypse shows.

Troll: Zombies are lame, I can't believe people like them. Maybe if you're a child.

See, you can express your opinions without insulting everyone who has different opinions from you. That's the difference between "Critical" and "Troll".

I dont think what I said was that bad. But ok. And yes I feel Zombies as portrayed in the movies are childish. I loved I Am Legend. Why because I like apocalyptic movies. The zombies in that film didnt look ..... well for a lack of a better word not to offend the sensitive types, funny!

Also Zombie movies dont have to be disgusting to be scary either. Its just disgusting. I like being scared sometimes. But to me.. its just gross and funny. I tried watching Resident Evil and I couldnt sit through that. The cannibals in the Road make for real life zombies very scary cause there is a case in china when a small village went batshit crazy and became cannibals. Thats scary. The whole point of a zombie movie is emotional and scary and I want to like them. Thats why I might check out the crazies movie because its based on that type of movie but its more of a virus that drove people to insanity and turned them into murderous nutbars. I really liked zombie land. Maybe because it was a bit funny and the show does look ok

Edited by Snail00

Enjoyed the heck out of the first episode last night. Who doesn't love zombies?

Wife was spooked by the gore but we had a lot of fun with the show.

Plan to keep watching and def want to checkout the source material as well.

I dont think what I said was that bad. But ok. And yes I feel Zombies as portrayed in the movies are childish. I loved I Am Legend. Why because I like apocalyptic movies. The zombies in that film didnt look ..... well for a lack of a better word not to offend the sensitive types, funny!

Also Zombie movies dont have to be disgusting to be scary either. Its just disgusting. I like being scared sometimes. But to me.. its just gross and funny. I tried watching Resident Evil and I couldnt sit through that. The cannibals in the Road make for real life zombies very scary cause there is a case in china when a small village went batshit crazy and became cannibals. Thats scary. The whole point of a zombie movie is emotional and scary and I want to like them. Thats why I might check out the crazies movie because its based on that type of movie but its more of a virus that drove people to insanity and turned them into murderous nutbars. I really liked zombie land. Maybe because it was a bit funny and the show does look ok

I watched The Crazies a couple nights ago. It was alright but mostly just gory, violent scene after gory, violent scene. (really more of a slasher film like The hills have Eyes or something).

Also I am Legend isn't a zombie movie, it's a vampire movie.

I watched The Crazies a couple nights ago. It was alright but mostly just gory, violent scene after gory, violent scene. (really more of a slasher film like The hills have Eyes or something).

Also I am Legend isn't a zombie movie, it's a vampire movie.

I agree "I am legend" was a diffrent kind of movie altogether, same theme but obvious diffrences. as for gore. I think the show had a really good balance. Never over the top, however it did have to be real to the fact that these are people who died and came back as zombies, as such they will rott and decay.

HI all,

HAPPY DAY for me, talked it over with the roommates, and at the end of the AMC preview, we will be upgrading our Dish Network satalite package.... For 1 year it will be the same price as what we got rite now... After that it's 15$$ more, so I didn't sweat it when I said i'd pay the difference... Awesome!

While knowing nothing about the source material, would it be too early to tell jus how long this show may last? Bout freakin time we get a running Zombie tv show!!!

Yeeeeee Hawwww...

Eric

I dont think what I said was that bad.

I don't think what you said is that bad (trolling) either. Zombies aren't your thing. That's totally fine by me. It's not like you're trashing the show in a production, writing, or acting sense.

I think we can all agree that even if Zombies aren't your cup of tea, this was a well made first episode to a series that looks like it's going to be great...(if you're even mildly into zombies).

OK... first of all... no personal insults. That goes for both the "troll" and "idiot" comments.

Second of all, no derailing threads. We can talk about zombies, AMC, other movies but they should all come back in relation to the subject matter. You can post an article about a so called zombification ( made that up, I think ) but enough about china and cannibalism that derails further into some guy that wrote a letter about how he was inspired by it (interesting but way OT.)

And letter ZEE!!! I Am Legend with Will Smith sucked zombie balls... one episode of Walking Dead kicks it's corroded ass to the blood splattered curb! :D

are you trolling the troll Idiot!

Yeah lets me make a topic and say nothing but good things about

Never discuss anything but love and adoration. Never be a little bit critical.

Obviously you cant read my post. Hypocrite !

Oh yeah, I read your post and I can honestly say that my command of the English language is a lot better than yours. I'm not deriding the fact that you have an opinion and the more you make the merrier. However, I do not know how you can call me a hypocrite due to a one word response which was applied to a lot of nonsensical hyperbole.

But to stay on target, I loved the first episode, and anything to do with a zombie apocalypse is okay in my book. I'm not familiar with the graphic novel though, and I have to admit when I saw the title The Walking Dead I thought someone was talking about these fine young men:

1-9b.gif

Hulu is streaming the first episode for anyone without cable who wants to check it out.

Thanks for the tip. I absolutely loved this premiere-this is how a zombie story should be done. Being a t.v. series, they can really delve into the the characters and their isolation and all of that.

On another note, I'm going to go out and buy that Beretta 92F I've always wanted so when this happens for real I'll be prepared, lol...

I don't think the gore was over the top, just pretty much what would happen when the zombies attack.

The guts and brains are kept to a minimum, as are the severed limbs.

I personally like the show because it is a human drama in a zombie apocalypse setting. If anyone has read the comic series, they can attest to that.