How far into the comic have they gotten? 6 issues? 10 issues, 20?

79 issues.

edit: I misread your post. I assume now what you mean is, "How far has the TV series gone into the comic's storyline." That's really a tricky question, because the TV series still hasn't shown the conclusion to the first comic story arc (something that I was waiting/hoping for the entire season).

Edited by atomicscissors

Finished the season finale over Christmas - at this point, I just don't know what to expect of the next season. The show has moved so far from the comic storyline and cast that there is no way to tell if they will return. I guess I'll still watch it, but I'm pretty disappointed.

Finished the season finale over Christmas - at this point, I just don't know what to expect of the next season. The show has moved so far from the comic storyline and cast that there is no way to tell if they will return. I guess I'll still watch it, but I'm pretty disappointed.

Did they go to CDC and meet Jenner in the comic? If they did, how was it different?

One thing that bugged me was how close they were to the building when it exploded, they should have been miles and miles away. No way could they have been that close and survived.

Did they go to CDC and meet Jenner in the comic?

No, there was no CDC

One thing that bugged me was how close they were to the building when it exploded, they should have been miles and miles away. No way could they have been that close and survived.

I don't think the building should have exploded at all if the idea is to prevent the escape of biohazards. It should have been contained underground.

What bugged me was the way they were whining about lack of fuel, spares and weapons when they were in the midst of a battlefield! I'm sure the walkers didn't take any of the guns or walk off with the keys to the army vehicles. Was that a Humvee with a .50 calibre I saw? Have none of these scriptwriters ever played Aftermath!*?

*Obscure role-playing reference for today.

Well, I admit that the finale wasn't great. But I think people are so invested in the comic book storyline that they can't see how good the show is. Maybe it sucks in following the book but the show doesn't suck at all. I think people that are invested in the comics should stop watching now because they're probably just going to get angrier. I mean, Robert Kirkman is a showrunner and he obviously doesn't want to just retread his footsteps. I'm probably going to enjoy the books because it won't be like I've already gone thru the same story.

Well, I admit that the finale wasn't great. But I think people are so invested in the comic book storyline that they can't see how good the show is. Maybe it sucks in following the book but the show doesn't suck at all. I think people that are invested in the comics should stop watching now because they're probably just going to get angrier. I mean, Robert Kirkman is a showrunner and he obviously doesn't want to just retread his footsteps. I'm probably going to enjoy the books because it won't be like I've already gone thru the same story.

This ^

I've found more enjoyment from shows like The Walking Dead and in movies like Kick-Ass from watching the TV show or movie first and then going back and reading the comics.

Some of this has to do with no longer being an avid comic reader so I miss a lot of the better, non-Marvel or DC properties that get released. This probably allows for the ability to enjoy each for what they are and for having no expectations (heightened or otherwise) or preconceived notions about how the story, etc. should play out.

Bottom line this show has been really good and if one can let go of the fact that there was another telling of the same story and appreciate this for what it is then I think the show would stand up really well on it's on merits.

-b.

This ^

I've found more enjoyment from shows like The Walking Dead and in movies like Kick-Ass from watching the TV show or movie first and then going back and reading the comics.

Some of this has to do with no longer being an avid comic reader so I miss a lot of the better, non-Marvel or DC properties that get released. This probably allows for the ability to enjoy each for what they are and for having no expectations (heightened or otherwise) or preconceived notions about how the story, etc. should play out.

Bottom line this show has been really good and if one can let go of the fact that there was another telling of the same story and appreciate this for what it is then I think the show would stand up really well on it's on merits.

-b.

I love "Kick-Ass the Comic Book" and "Kick-Ass the Movie," even though the movie changed some key scenes and moments, because they made the changes with good writing and directing.

But as the first season of The Walking Dead TV series progressed, the stories and writing became weak, and the new characters didn't help any (see stereotypical, hackneyed redneck brothers). Episode 4, "Vatos", is the definition of corny. I don't think that episode needed to be made. What was the point?

And I've already gone over why I hated the season finale.

I'm not looking for a carbon copy of my favorite books/stories, but if you're going to change something, do it in a way that's not insulting to my intelligence.

I don't see why a televised or movie adaptation has to stay religiously close to its written origins. In my opinion the Walking Dead series seems to be a great program even though it's apparently betrayed its comic book roots. As long as the adaptation isn't downright blasphemy and executed poorly such as in the case of some of the Harry Potter movies, I'm ok with it.

In regards to the hillbilly brothers, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with them. You're in a southern state and the majority of the population down there is of the redneck variety and so I would find it odd if the series didn't have such characters. Also, I think the question of "what happened to Merle?" and what will eventually happen with his brother, who is now bonding with the group and may have to choose between the two, is a major point of interest for just about every viewer.

I'll agree that "Vatos" was probably one of the lamest (in the wierdest way) episodes of any program I've ever seen, but overall I think the characters and the story are strong enough without the support of the established canon. In the end it's all about our opinions...

Edited by myk

I don't see why a televised or movie adaptation has to stay religiously close to its written origins. In my opinion the Walking Dead series seems to be a great program even though it's apparently betrayed its comic book roots. As long as the adaptation isn't downright blasphemy and executed poorly such as in the case of some of the Harry Potter movies, I'm ok with it.

If you'll note, I wrote:

I'm not looking for a carbon copy of my favorite books/stories, but if you're going to change something, do it in a way that's not insulting to my intelligence.

I would like to clarify that even further: If you are going to change something, do it in the spirit of the original source material.

I assume you believe this as well, with your talk about "blasphemy" and the Harry Potter movies. The season finale, with the CDC, and the computers, and virtual intelligence, and CSI X-Ray computer graphics, and thermobaric explosion, went against the spirit of the Walking Dead comics. It was blasphemy, it was cheesy, and it was lazy writing. It's almost as if that episode was thought up by an AMC executive who had never read the comic at a boardroom meeting.

In regards to the hillbilly brothers, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with them. You're in a southern state and the majority of the population down there is of the redneck variety and so I would find it odd if the series didn't have such characters. Also, I think the question of "what happened to Merle?" and what will eventually happen with his brother, who is now bonding with the group and may have to choose between the two, is a major point of interest for just about every viewer.

You're right, within the confines of the location the story is set in, there should be no problem with stereotypical, racist, redneck hillbillies. But, I find them to be another piece of evidence of lazy writing. I know the South is filled with overt racism, but you can add more to the drama and tension if you keep the characters morally ambiguous.

But instead we get "WOOO!! Look at me! I'm big, bad, Merle! I'm a racist douchebag and I hate black people, and I'll show you that I do within two minutes of my introduction!"

I'll agree that "Vatos" was probably one of the lamest (in the wierdest way) episodes of any program I've ever seen, but overall I think the characters and the story are strong enough without the support of the established canon. In the end it's all about our opinions...

You're right: it's all just our own opinions. I know I'm not going to change any minds here, but I just wanted to spell out some of the reasons why, when someone on here says they think the show is great, I pop a blood vessel.

I really really really want this series to do well. I hope they sort things out.

Wow dude, just... wow...

You disagree? Well, I've been a victim of said overt racism more than once in my travels to the South. I'm not saying everyone in the South is a racist, but I've experienced it first hand.

I know it is against the rules to get into political debates here, so I'll leave it at that.

The south is certainly more racist than California. In San Francisco there is almost no such thing as racism. I grew up there, and I always wondered why people made such big deal about it. Then I went to the south. I mean its not like I saw violence or anything, but there are certainly attitudes.

You disagree? Well, I've been a victim of said overt racism more than once in my travels to the South. I'm not saying everyone in the South is a racist, but I've experienced it first hand.

I know it is against the rules to get into political debates here, so I'll leave it at that.

The south is certainly more racist than California. In San Francisco there is almost no such thing as racism. I grew up there, and I always wondered why people made such big deal about it. Then I went to the south. I mean its not like I saw violence or anything, but there are certainly attitudes.

You guys have to keep politics and political discussions/debate off the boards, especially when you know it's not allowed. Sneaking it in at every opportunity won't be allowed any more. It'll be an automatic suspension that can lead to banning. I've seen it more than once. This is a general warning that's specifically within the TOS so don't whine about it.

Picked up the first volume collection this week, look forward to getting to know the original story lines.

I'm thinking this show plus the inevitable release of World War Z is going to redefine the genre and make some forget the shamble that were the later Resident Evil movies. 1 & 2 stuck close to the game enough to warrant a positive nod.

• 6 months later...

Saw a clip of Season 2 during a break of Breaking Bad. Not much teasers but something to get your blood pumping for October.

BTW. Breaking Bad, along with Justified and Walking Dead... best shows on TV!!!!!!!

You, suh, have oh-fended mah sensuhbilities! *removes glove* [sMACK!] Ah challenge you to uh duel! 10 paces, at dawn! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Fg8YskGGE

ed: but yeah. I've pretty much lost interest in this show. Pull the plug, this one's dead and needs burying. [pun intended]

Edited by reddsun1

• 2 months later...

I've been watching season 1 on Netflix, just to remember what happened and prepare myself for the beginning of season 2. Although, I don't have cable any more so I'm not sure how I'm going to go about it, lol...

Here's a round table discussion with different showrunners, Frank Darabont sitting at the head months before they ousted him from the show. Talk about a blindside.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gallery/emmy-roundtable-drama-showrunners-192964#4

Other than that I thought that the season premiere was OK. Not a storyline that needed an extra 30 minutes. No where as good as the pilot episode.

Wait season 2 already premiered?!

Edit: Thanks for posting 'Exo; I was able to catch the episode at work off of Direct TV. I won't spoil anything but I will say that I'm glad that Daryl's turned out to be more than just Merle light, and is a highly productive member of the group. Shoot, maybe I'll buy a chopper, get me a crossbow and learn me how to track just like he can...

Edited by myk

great premier ! but man the supposed 90 minutes we were supposed to be given was more like 60 minutes total. I clocked it and approximately 30 minutes of it was AMC selling products , i swear every four minutes the season 2 opener went to a commercial. I know they gotta pay bills but my god!

Edited by mustang1

Wait season 2 already premiered?!

Edit: Thanks for posting 'Exo; I was able to catch the episode at work off of Direct TV. I won't spoil anything but I will say that I'm glad that Daryl's turned out to be more than just Merle light, and is a highly productive member of the group. Shoot, maybe I'll buy a chopper, get me a crossbow and learn me how to track just like he can...

Cool, glad you caught it.

Yeah there was a lot of commercials. There was a break like every 5 minutes. It'd be frustrating if I didnt record it.

I completely disagree. Game of Thrones, which is probably 98% faithful to the books is how a TV adaptation should be.

For myself, if I'm watching a book-to-TV, or book-to-movie adaptation I want it to be as faithful to the source material as possible.

Honestly, if they had changed the title of The Walking Dead TV series to "Extremely Loosely Inspired by The Walking Dead", I probably would have enjoyed season one a lot more. At least then I wouldn't have had any false expectations.

Graham

To each their own, I guess. I've never read the printed stuff, would it be safe to assume that some of the comic-based stuff would not translate well to the screen?