guys, don't miss this:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/21/devil-engine-thunders-forcefully-into-stores-with-demo/

"Special credit goes to Devil Engine’s music. On top of the game sharing a lot of that classic Thunder Force feel, they brought in Technosoft composer Hyakutaro Tsukumo to produce a few tracks. The rest was done by Qwesta (find them here on Twitter), who previously did some of the music for ZeroRanger, one of my top games of 2018. "

Edited by davidwhangchoi

19 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

guys, don't miss this:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/21/devil-engine-thunders-forcefully-into-stores-with-demo/

"Special credit goes to Devil Engine’s music. On top of the game sharing a lot of that classic Thunder Force feel, they brought in Technosoft composer Hyakutaro Tsukumo to produce a few tracks. The rest was done by Qwesta (find them here on Twitter), who previously did some of the music for ZeroRanger, one of my top games of 2018. "

Thanks. It does sound like Thunder Force. I'll have to give it a play.

Mars Matrix really is under-appreciated.

I get the impression it gets overshadowed by its big brother Gigawing. But there's no excuse for every person on Earth, and most of their dogs, to have played Ikaruga(which isn't even all that good*) and no one's even HEARD of Mars Matrix. 

*Yep. I went there.

hey guys i got another cool title in the same period: 

1uPRe9Eh.jpg

it's a rare beat em up by Technosoft, some background on it, 

quote from shmups user:
"it was originally an arcade game but ended up becoming a ps1 game when technosoft decided to not make anymore arcade games. (it was originally on ps1 arcade hardware)but the devs didn't like it because it was kinda unfinished. so they made a beefed-up version for a later saturn release. they did that a lot."

"oh yeah that's another thing, the ps1 version was a launch title
this game was in dev like right after hyper duel."
end quote.

this game is incredible, i was playing it and wow a great beat em up.

check out the gameplay, it's like street of rage but better:

On 2/25/2019 at 11:09 PM, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Both choice shooters-good haul!

Oh yeah, Devil Engine is pretty sweet, a worthy addition to the ThunderForce legacy. (I'll just forget about TF VI)

Thunder Force 6 isn't good? I still haven't picked that one up. Another mess up by Sega not bringing it out over here. I believe there are a handful of Japanese games that I still need to get.

On 2/26/2019 at 3:10 AM, JB0 said:

Mars Matrix really is under-appreciated.

I get the impression it gets overshadowed by its big brother Gigawing. But there's no excuse for every person on Earth, and most of their dogs, to have played Ikaruga(which isn't even all that good*) and no one's even HEARD of Mars Matrix. 

*Yep. I went there.

I heard of Mars Matrix. But I'm not big on vertical shooters.

2 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

quote from shmups user:
"it was originally an arcade game but ended up becoming a ps1 game when technosoft decided to not make anymore arcade games. (it was originally on ps1 arcade hardware)but the devs didn't like it because it was kinda unfinished. so they made a beefed-up version for a later saturn release. they did that a lot."

"Hot Blooded Family", right? Yeah, it's been forever since I played that one at my friend's dorm.  I remember it being slower paced and quite long for a beat-em-up.  Hyperduel is a fine shooter in its own right. The way Technosoft worked the transformable fighter gimmick is far easier and more fun than what any Macross shooter offers. 

54 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

Thunder Force 6 isn't good? I still haven't picked that one up. Another mess up by Sega not bringing it out over here. I believe there are a handful of Japanese games that I still need to get.

It's not that it's not good, it just seemed like a let down after TFV. I heard that it was different team that made TFVI, and it's evident in the music and in some things that made it seem like a tired rehash. I can't remember exactly what gave me that impression though.

12 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

1uPRe9Eh.jpg

quote from shmups user:

end quote.

this game is incredible, i was playing it and wow a great beat em up.

check out the gameplay, it's like street of rage but better:

A really fun brawler to play with someone. I still have of both my PS1 & Saturn copies which I ordered from NCS ages ago.

While I do prefer the speed and control of the Saturn version, I enjoy the PCM music of the PS1 version way more than redbook music used in the Saturn version.

18 hours ago, efisher said:

Received these a couple of days ago

ZVuKdMH.jpg

2dt8a2k.jpg

Very nice on both counts.

I didn't know 8bitdo was doing actual Sega-style controllers now instead of just painting Nintendo-style controllers black and blue and calling them Sega-style.

Did they fix the d-pad tolerances that plague the N30 Pros?

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

The N30 Pros had d-pad issues?  I take it you mean the newer version?  I have the older model (when it was the still called NES30 Pro and colored like a proper NES controller) I bought for a emulator box I built, an SN30 Pro I bought to play Mega Man on the Switch,, an N30 for the NES Classic, and two SN30s in both SNES and SFC colors for the SNES Classic.  No issues here.  I wanted to pick up an SN30 Pro+, too, but they're still not available.

I don't have quite the same nostalgia for Sega's controllers, but I might pick one of those up, too.  Or I'll wait and see if they make a bundle with a receiver when that Megadrive Classic finally comes out.

5 hours ago, JB0 said:

The d-pad feels exactly like the old Genesis 6 button pad.

I've been playing a lot Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection on the Switch with it and the special moves come out buttery smooth. Definitely my favorite 8bitdo controller at the moment.

Edited by efisher

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

The N30 Pros had d-pad issues?  I take it you mean the newer version?  I have the older model (when it was the still called NES30 Pro and colored like a proper NES controller) I bought for a emulator box I built, an SN30 Pro I bought to play Mega Man on the Switch,, an N30 for the NES Classic, and two SN30s in both SNES and SFC colors for the SNES Classic.  No issues here.  I wanted to pick up an SN30 Pro+, too, but they're still not available.

I don't have quite the same nostalgia for Sega's controllers, but I might pick one of those up, too.  Or I'll wait and see if they make a bundle with a receiver when that Megadrive Classic finally comes out.

I've got the old version(one NES style, one FamiCom style). I did check a Mk 2 recently, and it has the same issue.

The pivot is about an eighth of an inch too low. Place your thumb on the center of the cross-key and press down, and it drops down before it comes to rest on the pivot. It plays hell with rapid changes of direction, as it falls out from under you while you're switching, JUST far enough to throw movement off. I go to snap from left to right and I stutter along the way when I try to rock it across the pivot.

To be clear, it is far from the worst implementatoin. It doesn't want to fall into diagonals, it doesn't have weird sensitivity issues.  And there IS a pivot. I've seen a lot of directionals lately, even from some respectable companies, that simply didn't bother with it, and as far as I'm concerned they are COMPLETELY unusable. 

It is just frustrating that they got so close, and didn't make the final interior fit and finish check. I can't think of a good spacer offhand to get it from 95% to 100%, like the old 360 pringles mod(a far worse case of slight tolerance issues messing up an otherwise well-designed d-button).

22 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Arcade classics so I probably won't need this. The one retro collection or games I want that no one seems to want to make is a Legend of Zelda 1 and 2 remaster. Like they did with that Mario All Stars game.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:17 AM, JetJockey said:

Arcade classics so I probably won't need this. The one retro collection or games I want that no one seems to want to make is a Legend of Zelda 1 and 2 remaster. Like they did with that Mario All Stars game.

Zelda 1 and 2 remake would be great. The new Links Awakening remake gives me hope that it could happen, though I can’t see them doing it as a 2D 16-bit style at this point. There is the 16-bit BS Zelda Satellaview version of the first game, in case you weren’t aware. Zelda 2 was so polarizing that I don’t know if they’d be willing to revisit it.

And @Black Valkyrie — Journey to Silius is a cool game, if a little on the difficult side for me. Sunsoft really rocked the NES era with some solid games and killer soundtracks.

Zelda 1 and 2 remake would be great. The new Links Awakening remake gives me hope that it could happen, though I can’t see them doing it as a 2D 16-bit style at this point. There is the 16-bit BS Zelda Satellaview version of the first game, in case you weren’t aware. Zelda 2 was so polarizing that I don’t know if they’d be willing to revisit it.

And @Black Valkyrie — Journey to Silius is a cool game, if a little on the difficult side for me. Sunsoft really rocked the NES era with some solid games and killer soundtracks.

I'll look into that Satellaview  version. Never heard of that before.

I thought people liked Adventure of Link back when it was released. I know I did. The music is really good. I still listen to it on occasion.

I only remember sunsoft for NES Blaster Master and Batman. Two really good NES games with good music and gameplay. I have a Sophia the 3rd blueprint somewhere around here.

i got a retro game yesterday

IMG_4436.JPG

I believe I sold that game. I can't remember why. Maybe it reminded me of the first Toshinden game. Fun at the time. But I still had Street Fighter 2 Champion on a pedestal.

What keyboard is that?

Also a while back, someone here was interested in speakers for retro games. I was searching around and found a geeky youtube channel with audio reviews. The guy has anime girl figures and wallpaper all over the place. And a cat with a Star Wars name. But he understands audio. I think this Kef might be it. I thought they were way too much for games. But for 2 channel for all those old consoles and up to the CD systems and recent portables with quality music. I think they will be more than good. Of course you still might need a subwoofer. But I need to test play some games on them to be sure.

Edited by JetJockey

I'll look into that Satellaview  version. Never heard of that before.

I thought people liked Adventure of Link back when it was released. I know I did. The music is really good. I still listen to it on occasion.

I only remember sunsoft for NES Blaster Master and Batman. Two really good NES games with good music and gameplay. I have a Sophia the 3rd blueprint somewhere around here.

I also really liked Adventure of Link and still do. I think it's mostly people who didn't experience it at first and look back on it now as being so different from practically every other Zelda game. It's still a bit of an oddball in the series. It also has a few things that make it rather difficult in parts, which I think frustrates people.

Sunsoft also made Fester's Quest, which was (in my opinion) not a great game at all, but did have some amazing music. 

Also a while back, someone here was interested in speakers for retro games.

Yeah, I think that was me. I was trying to figure out what I might use for speakers if I got a PVM, which didn't work out. With my tiny space, limited budget, and interest in retro things, I'm currently using an old pair of small Sony SRS-67 speakers I used to use with my Discman back in the day. They're not amazing, but they definitely sound better than the internal speakers on my consumer CRT. I also have a pair of the smaller SRS-57 which are more compact but don't sound as full.

I wish that someone at CAPCOM would resurrect the Power Stone franchise for the Switch... I miss those games entirely too much.

Capcom is sitting on so much great IP at the moment.  Power Stone, Darkstalkers, an actual new Megaman game.  They finally got around to Resident Evil, but it seems like they are taking their time with all the others.  There is a large contingent of people in the fighting game community that are wary of today's Capcom being able to do those golden titles of yore justice, though they have done well with Monster Hunter.  Non-Monster Hunter game role outs have been tough.

Edited by Mazinger

Capcom is sitting on so much great IP at the moment.  Power Stone, Darkstalkers, an actual new Megaman game.

They just came out with a new Mega Man game.

I also really liked Adventure of Link and still do. I think it's mostly people who didn't experience it at first and look back on it now as being so different from practically every other Zelda game. It's still a bit of an oddball in the series. It also has a few things that make it rather difficult in parts, which I think frustrates people.

I think Zelda II, when looked at objectively, was a fairly good action game. I just think it would be remembered more fondly of it were a new IP and not a Zelda game. Even at the time I was bothered by the gameplay changes.

Capcom is sitting on so much great IP at the moment.  Power Stone, Darkstalkers, an actual new Megaman game.

I'd buy a whole new console just for a new Darkstalkers game. That series defined my childhood. 

Sunsoft also made Fester's Quest, which was (in my opinion) not a great game at all, but did have some amazing music. 

Yeah, I think that was me. I was trying to figure out what I might use for speakers if I got a PVM, which didn't work out. With my tiny space, limited budget, and interest in retro things, I'm currently using an old pair of small Sony SRS-67 speakers I used to use with my Discman back in the day. They're not amazing, but they definitely sound better than the internal speakers on my consumer CRT. I also have a pair of the smaller SRS-57 which are more compact but don't sound as full.

The only bad thing that I remember was trouble in Adventure of Link was finding a hidden town. I think I had to call in to Nintendo back in the day because the game gave an odd hint about going down and left or something like that. I think the feel of adventure was better in Adventure of Link compared to Legend of Zelda.

I owned Fester's Quest but I think I traded that in somewhere. I'll check out the music. I think the game had something to do with aliens.

For some reason, I've been trying to find my old Discman. I know I had that and some old Sony foldable headphones that are apparently kind of popular. I saw a story on Gear Patrol about how people are still after them.

Edited by JetJockey

Sega is a barely functioning company to me. I'll probably purchase the new Streets of Rage but other than that, they just don't make any modern games I'm interested in. Except for the occasional re-release like a 3D Space Harrier on 3DS or stuff like Streets of Rage. And I tend to avoid Google products. I imagine if they make a system it will be focused on downloadable titles. They no doubt will have a big audience. But I won't be one of them unless they somehow get an exclusive to their system that I want to play. But still, I'm really not into download only stuff if that is what happens. I don't even own a handful of download only titles. And when I get them, I get them at discount and cheap.