Yamato 1/60 Regult w/ pilot

EXO

I'm not saying you're wrong Eugimon but talking down to people isn't going to change their opinions (great link btw). I will say there is probably a difference in contracting a company in Florida to construct your molds and already having a business relationship with someone in China but there's obviously no accounting for all the variables.

For anyone who wants a Regult like the Qrau, shame on you! The Qrau was a terrible toy when it was released and it's still a terrible toy now. I don't care what the facts are that surround it's creation and if it cost Yamato more than they charged for it originally it doesn't change the fact it's a bad piece of plastic. I doubt an equivalent effort would really please people who would actually buy it and we'd just have members in here with pitchforks and torches complaining about it.

The Regult does look like a great product (cost excluded) but Resin DIY kits are pretty much out of my area of interest. I've never even really considered the resin Mechwarrior/Battletech or Warhammer 40K models. Good thing too probably since the new injection plastic Thunderhawk Gunship is not only tons cheaper than the resin one it also looks better :D

After all the rhetoric and ad hominem attacks being lobbed by them, that post was the nicest I could muster. If they think I'm wrong, they should refute the actual logical arguments I have presented rather than resorting to gross sexual innuendos and name calling.

Macross was extremely popular too.

The difference is that Zakus look cool and Regults do not.

Well, that's debatable. Like they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I personally happen to think the Zaku and well all the mecha from the original Mobile Suit Gundam are some of the ugliest, unattractive designs in anime history, but that's just me.

Back to the subject at hand, I'm guessing that Yamato have done their market research and figure there is not enough demand to cover the costs of producing this as a mass-production ABS toy. It's unfortunate, as I'm sure many of us here would buy 1 or more if the cost was around the same as a V2 1/60 VF-1.

Graham

Indeed, that was an interesting link. It may not be 100% analogous, but it does serve as a good reference point.

Can Yamato get multiple parts from a single mold? Is this possible or common? Also, considering the valks feature diecast and rubber parts, how much might those cost, mold-wise? Would they be more or less expensive? I would also assume Yamato still makes a fairly sizable run of a given toy, but does anyone have any accurate production figures (no pun intended)?

It's possible we're over-estimating the manufacturing costs. They may have went with the "cheap" manufacturing option. That could explain many of the QC error over the years... :p

Either way, I'm still hoping Yamato repeats what they did with the SDF-1 (without changing the scale of course). My Matchbox Regult would stick out like a sore thumb next to my beautiful 1/60 v.2's.

Would any of you accept a cheaper plastic kit release?

I'm talking about a Gunpla-ish pre-colored snap-fit plastic kit. Detailing to be done by you with stickers or decals. Still at 1/60 scale but without many of the gimmicks (thus making it easier to build). And let's say priced around US$80? Kinda like the recent 1/48 Gundam kit.

Edited by Vifam7

Would any of you accept a cheaper plastic kit release?

I'm talking about a Gunpla-ish pre-colored snap-fit plastic kit. Detailing to be done by you with stickers or decals. Still at 1/60 scale but without many of the gimmicks (thus making it easier to build). And let's say priced around US$80? Kinda like the recent 1/48 Gundam kit.

Maybe, if it had decent poseable/bendable knees I'd get one to pose next to my other 1/60's. At $400 and no modeling skills this other kit is out of my price range. I'm not upset like some others, just can't get/use it.

For anyone who wants a Regult like the Qrau, shame on you! The Qrau was a terrible toy when it was released and it's still a terrible toy now. I don't care what the facts are that surround it's creation and if it cost Yamato more than they charged for it originally it doesn't change the fact it's a bad piece of plastic. I doubt an equivalent effort would really please people who would actually buy it and we'd just have members in here with pitchforks and torches complaining about it.

The Regult does look like a great product (cost excluded) but Resin DIY kits are pretty much out of my area of interest. I've never even really considered the resin Mechwarrior/Battletech or Warhammer 40K models. Good thing too probably since the new injection plastic Thunderhawk Gunship is not only tons cheaper than the resin one it also looks better :D

I knew that the Qrau wasn't up to the standards of the 1/48 (at the time) but I bought it up because I knew we were never going to see another representation of it at that scale or any bigger. I think the sculpt is good but lacks in articulation, detail and a decent Millia figure. I told myself that I rather get this because if someone came out with a resin kit, it wouldnt be as sturdy, articulated and as affordable, though it was expensive for a toy that simple. I guess now, we'e seeing how lucky we were to get it in the first place and how expensive a resin kit can get. I do wish that Yamato would have gambled on the Regult instead of the Qrau though. I think they would have seen better results from it back then and sold multiple iterations like toynami is doing now with their vynil line of Battle pods.

I'm guessing that Yamato have done their market research and figure there is not enough demand to cover the costs of producing this as a mass-production ABS toy. It's unfortunate, as I'm sure many of us here would buy 1 or more if the cost was around the same as a V2 1/60 VF-1.

Graham

I wonder did Yamato do market research fm MW forum & find out the demands here? I'm sure some of us (or more) would like to get at least 2 or more, to pose against our VF-1. Its real pity that Yamato will skip ths.

Edited by Javabean

The economics get better if they can share the cost with Bandai and/or a a western company (Hasbro?) in a toy line for the Live Action Robotech movie. :ph34r:

After all the rhetoric and ad hominem attacks being lobbed by them, that post was the nicest I could muster. If they think I'm wrong, they should refute the actual logical arguments I have presented rather than resorting to gross sexual innuendos and name calling.

What's wrong with a little humor. Do you skip over the "minmay shower" scene when you pop in your Macross DVD? =D

I wonder did Yamato do market research fm MW forum & find out the demands here? I'm sure some of us (or more) would like to get at least 2 or more, to pose against our VF-1. Its real pity that Yamato will skip ths.

MW numbers are so small. There's only about 30-50 people on at a time. And when you start a poll a 75% majority vote amounts to 37 people at the most.

Indeed, that was an interesting link. It may not be 100% analogous, but it does serve as a good reference point.

Can Yamato get multiple parts from a single mold? Is this possible or common? Also, considering the valks feature diecast and rubber parts, how much might those cost, mold-wise? Would they be more or less expensive? I would also assume Yamato still makes a fairly sizable run of a given toy, but does anyone have any accurate production figures (no pun intended)?

It's possible we're over-estimating the manufacturing costs. They may have went with the "cheap" manufacturing option. That could explain many of the QC error over the years... :p

Either way, I'm still hoping Yamato repeats what they did with the SDF-1 (without changing the scale of course). My Matchbox Regult would stick out like a sore thumb next to my beautiful 1/60 v.2's.

Steel molds are incredibly expensive. And no Yamato doesn't go with the 'cheap' option.

Production run figures are uaually around 15,000 for an initial first release, but can drop sharply for repaints, to around 7,000, 5,000, or even 2,000 or 1,000 depending on the popularity of that particular paint scheme/head type.

Graham

Well, that's debatable. Like they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I personally happen to think the Zaku and well all the mecha from the original Mobile Suit Gundam are some of the ugliest, unattractive designs in anime history, but that's just me.

Back to the subject at hand, I'm guessing that Yamato have done their market research and figure there is not enough demand to cover the costs of producing this as a mass-production ABS toy. It's unfortunate, as I'm sure many of us here would buy 1 or more if the cost was around the same as a V2 1/60 VF-1.

Graham

I concur, but if they just gave it a shot I don't think they will be let down.

They should really look in to the international market by doing a poll, they should know many out here waiting for an affordable version that is virutlally problem free. :ph34r:

lol. that's a one way ticket to a court date with Tatsanuko...

I don't see why,

1. They are making the resin kit/toy for release

2. They have the license to make it, and sell it everywhere that Harmony Gold doesn't have a lock on it.

3. And it's just a poll, to see the level of popularity it would have outside of Japan.

I mean we outside of Japan spend a lot of money on macross too, some of us know it as Robotech.

But that doesn't change the fact we account for a sizable amount of sales.

Sure they could find out by contacting the stores that sell the toys and get an idea of the size of the non-Japan sales.

Hell even run it through the same said retailers and get a picture of sort on how well they might do.

I've said it before we here at MW are not the only Macfans in town.

I'm sure there are some who just don't sign in/register but lurk just for the news here and at other Mac sites too.

Sure we have a large community but I really don't think we are the only game in town.

B))

B))

That's the best part of the argument right there... once you put that little guy with the sunglasses, I am without retort. If I ever get put in jail outside of the US, I'm hiring someone that looks just like that because he's obviously an expert in international law. :D <-- says this guy

Ok then outside of the usa where else can they not sell or poll for results?

All I'm saying is they have the license to produce it right.

So why can't they put up a poll on their website and get and idea of how well outside of Japan it would do as a solid toy.

I mean really, we are already purchasing the toys from the four corners of the globe via on line sales and whatever.

So what difference would it make?

Bottomline if they really want to know the answer there is a way to get it.

Edited by DARKWIND

Ok then outside of the usa where else can they not sell or poll for results?

All I'm saying is they have the right license to produce it right.

So why can't they put up a poll on their website and get and idea of how well outside of Japan it would do as a solid toy.

I mean really, we are already purchasing the toys from the four corners of the globe via on line sales and whatever.

So what difference would it make?

Things are not as easy as you think, not all people have access to information via internet and they may not find this site or any site if they do.

Price point is another issue. You think a $100~$150 toy is acceptable instead of $400, but for many people for the rest of the world, it means a salary of a month. The market of Macross toys is actually relatively small. Things are always easy to say then done.

Things are not as easy as you think, not all people have access to information via internet and they may not find this site or any site if they do.

Price point is another issue. You think a $100~$150 toy is acceptable instead of $400, but for many people for the rest of the world, it means a salary of a month. The market of Macross toys is actually relatively small. Things are always easy to say then done.

I didn't say anything about price.

I understand the whole cost vs. need question very well I have to get by on a fixed spending limit also.

All I said was that they should poll to reach the fans (outside Japan), and ask if they might be willing to purchase this, as a toy and at what pricepoint.

Wasn't all this costs/magic-resin/yamato/exclusive/limited/etc all discussed and beaten to death on the 1/2000 SDF-1 thread?

Yamato already established this as a limited run exclusive in Japan, people will buy it none the less

we can only hope the feedback is good like the SDF-1 and see if they release a "cheaper" toy version, if they do, will it keep its 1/60 scale

This is MW; no topic is ever beaten to death! :p

Part of the issue with the 1/2000 SDF-1 (IIRC) was manufacturing the large parts. That was a part (no pun intended) of the issue. I don't think that's the case here. Which means that hopefully there won't be a scale reduction, if they ever decide to make a toy version.

Meg it makesno sence for yamato to do it smaller than 1/60 since this is the hot scale on their line. Also there are dozens of regult in many other smaller scales so yamato will only do it in 1/60 or don't do it at all.

Does anyone know of a place online where Japanese fans (Yamato`s primary market) have posted their reactions to the resin Regult? Are they also angry that a mass production toy isn`t being produced or do they just passively accept what they are given? Stereotypically Japanese are passive but recently more and more Japanese are outspoken.

Grahams production numbers are interesting. 15,000 produced times say 13,000 yen average retail price depending on the exact model thats 195 million yen or about US$2.25 million revenue from a sold out toy. Out of that theres all the overheads, retailers cut (no cut if bought through yamato website)..$30K for molds might sound expensive but on a scale where you a producing 15000 toys from one mold its peanuts.

Does anyone know if these are going to be molded in color?

I would think for 40,000 yen, the parts should be at least molded in color and snap fitted together like the Bandai Perfect Grade 1/60 Gundams.

Does anyone know if these are going to be molded in color?

I would think for 40,000 yen, the parts should be at least molded in color and snap fitted together like the Bandai Perfect Grade 1/60 Gundams.

you would think that over 2000 bucks would get you an SDF-1 that could fold you to the ladies room, but it was all in gray resin that had to be built

as it seems, it will come in the same gray resin and land in a scale modeler hands ready to test fit/sand/putty/sand/paint/mask/paint/gloss coat/decal/dull/weather/take pictures...

Most high impact resins can't be molded to color and the ones that can, only few type resins have a wide variety of colors you can choose, most have a limited color range. And the different types of high impact resins are only suitable for certain types of applications. Something that's used for gear prototyping can't be used for a car bumper or vice versa. The one thing they have in common is that they are really expensive. Also a lot of this stuff are not made for garage kits. Some of them still need an injection system and use some sort of epoxy molds versus the typical silicone rubber molds that a lot of scratch builders buy. Mold also burn out after a while, I'm not sure how fast and how many pulls you can take out of them. And then there's the special mold release material you have to use. I'm wondering if they're using standard resin for some parts of the regult that don't require movement, and then using the good stuff for the joints. And for the Zentran soldier, I'm guessing it's the same thing. For the T-rex Wonderfest version you have to buy the after market plastic ball joints, but since Yamato is releasing these, they can't just buy a bunch of those ball joints and put them in the box (unless they get a special deal going like they did with CMs for the Millia and Max Qrau figs.) But it seems like they are gonna go the in house route.

What's wrong with a little humor. Do you skip over the "minmay shower" scene when you pop in your Macross DVD? =D

I'm just saying that if the conversation is already nothing more than the whiny rants of entitled fanboys, I have no reason to try and argue at a level higher than the common denominator.

But sure, let's totally ignore the parts where we talk about in real world money how much molds cost, how incredibly small the macros market is, the difficulties of marketing and selling these internationally, the difference between resign and injection plastic molds... Yes, let's talk about how I'm mean, boo hoo.

Edited by eugimon

Does anyone know of a place online where Japanese fans (Yamato`s primary market) have posted their reactions to the resin Regult? Are they also angry that a mass production toy isn`t being produced or do they just passively accept what they are given? Stereotypically Japanese are passive but recently more and more Japanese are outspoken.

Grahams production numbers are interesting. 15,000 produced times say 13,000 yen average retail price depending on the exact model thats 195 million yen or about US$2.25 million revenue from a sold out toy. Out of that theres all the overheads, retailers cut (no cut if bought through yamato website)..$30K for molds might sound expensive but on a scale where you a producing 15000 toys from one mold its peanuts.

30k for molds? The molds for the leg would cost more than 30k, Yamato would be lucky if they got away with something closer to 10x that amount for a single run of something that size and complexity.

30k for molds? The molds for the leg would cost more than 30k, Yamato would be lucky if they got away with something closer to 10x that amount for a single run of something that size and complexity.

It's really that expensive? Man, I had no idea. :o

I have the old Matchbox Robotech Battlepod...and, it's okay. Seriously outdated, especially when displayed against a newer 1:48 or 1:60. But still, it's better than nothing.

I appreciate Yamato making the effort of putting out some form of a Regult. No, most of us can't get it right now. But if it is a huge success, maybe Yamato will release one. I know we all feel that it would be grand if we get to see one mass produced at a lower cost (and not a model kit). But if not, we do have options. (There are other Regults on the market).

Could be worse, Macross fan, Mospeada fans are without any hope of an inbit toy. :)