I think my Shin would look a lot better if I took the time to panel line and apply the white wolf decals, but I haven't really had any motivation to try and screw up the shoulder decal. And I don't think it looks good filthy. Some moderate weathering would look great, I think, but moderation is the key word there.

Yeah, I need Billy.

The decals on the shoulder were rather tricky to apply. In particular, the two stripe pieces, as they needed to go around lots of curves. I recommend lots of decal solvent to get them to lay down properly.

Given the nature of the character, and the killer box art, I decided to dirty up the Zaku. It was a fun time going overboard with the weathering.

Speaking of dirtying a mobile suit up, I'm trying that with my Turn-X. Cellphone photo isn't too sharp, but it sort of conveys the idea.

I'm going for a slightly grimy look, but not exactly "dirty." More like a "used for so long the dirt has become part of the finish."

post-659-0-88744800-1419882149_thumb.jpg

This kit has been such a blast to dirty-up, and it really brings out the suit's detail. As one of, if not the best MS design in Gundam-land, you should all rush out and grab one.

Question for the customizers out here:

I'm not a fan of the giant Turn-X backpack, and am thinking of sractchbuilding something more subtle, but that could 1) take a long time, and 2) turn out crap.

So, anyone have any ideas for something pre-existing that might work, or that would only require a few asymmetrical additions to look the part?

Something like the Bawoo's pack, with different tanks and some new panels maybe...?

Edited by Phyrox

Finally got my unicorn after an agonizing wait. As usual I started with the weapons and man, it's been awhile since my last perfect grade. This this is a beast now I'm on the torso. A lot of pressure is needed to put some of these parts together.

Well, after letting them sit mixed for an hour, I can categorically say, all that nonsense about Tamiya thinner gumming up Vallejo primer is nonsense.

I thinned Valleyo Grey Primer 2:1 with Tamiya X20A thinner, and I let it sit in the mixing cup for the last hour or so. It's still got the consistency of milk, and shows no signs of curdling at all.

Now to work up the courage to start painting with my new brush.

Perhaps it gums up over time? I've had several tins of Tamiya go bad on me (we're talking weeks later) back when I was using rubbing alcohol to thin my paints. I haven't had it happen since I switched to the official thinner.

I have had the paint deposit itself inside my airbrush several times, but that's remedied with a good cleaning and a reminder to do a thorough flush after every use.

I've never had any issues with anything I've thinned my Tamiya or Vallejo paints with. I've historically used 91% isopropyl and Aztek brand thinner, but I went ahead and let the test cup of Vallejo primer with Tamiya X20A thinner set up all day, and even at the end of the day, it was fine. It shot through the brush just fine too. I really really really like this Iwata. It is so much better than my Master was. It sprays more evenly, it's easier to clean, there's no slop in the action, and it's just a joy to paint all day with. I even mixed some custom shades, I was in such a good mood for paint.

What a great way to ring in the new year.

The more I see the Double X the less I want it.....it just doesn't feel as epic as I'd like or how the X felt when I saw it....I dunno just something about it!

I'm working hard on my Astray but I wish it had the optional parts to do the actual backpack even if you don't get the standard shield! I don't like this giant ass flight pack/sword. And the detail work I have to do is taxing, I'm getting very little done cause I spend an hour doing panel line work.

I'm working hard on my Astray but I wish it had the optional parts to do the actual backpack even if you don't get the standard shield! I don't like this giant ass flight pack/sword.

Bandai would have made a perfect solution for us, but they decided to release the Red Frame we want as P-bandai. :angry:

Bandai would have made a perfect solution for us, but they decided to release the Red Frame we want as P-bandai. :angry:

Yeah, 100 bucks for that thing is a joke. I'd understand if it were Gold frame, or Blue Frame originals...but Red Frame? K'mon : /

At least the fingers are easy to paint white....just used a paint marker and a little detail brush to get the plates colored on and after 3 coats look good.

Well I'm done with the body after all the frustrations of the panel lining.

post-600-0-69666300-1420177642_thumb.jpg

I honestly don't think I've EVER, EVER gone through this much attention to detail to accent the panels and get as much out of my markers as possible. I'm probably gonna need new ones they're starting to bleed a bit.

But this is my favorite shot right now...

post-600-0-78502300-1420177635_thumb.jpg

Kept Lowe in his Manga form rather his OVA clothes.

So in case anyone is wondering and I don't remeber if it was mention everything so far locks in place for Destroy mode on the Pg Unicorn. The knees have a great locking mechanism and the waist is secure unlike the various MG Unicorn I've built before. So satisfied with this beast so far though I'm not done. I'm really hoping the Banshee is next with all its various components so I can finally one of those. After the MG unicorns and they way they don't hold up I never got the banshee

Edited by kanedaestes

I love seeing all this holiday Gunpla'ing! Great info on the PG Unicorn as well - keep it coming, please.

For myself, I've been so busy finishing projects that I haven't taken much time to photograph them. But, I just finished some shots of my latest RG, and I'll get a gallery up soon.

I may be alone in this opinion, but after building most of the line (only Destiny, Strike Freedom, and Wing EW left), I think Justice is the brightest star!

post-29037-0-82111400-1420270702_thumb.jpg post-29037-0-33656200-1420270721_thumb.jpg post-29037-0-80497500-1420270319_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nekko Basara

I'm a little jealous that everyone but me got Gunpla for Christmas...

Hey, I didn't say I got any Gunpla for Christmas, I just said I built some!

...but, yeah, I got some. An SD Banshee and - through an odd mixup - two Beargguy F sets. My plan is to build one straight and save the other for a custom project.

In other news, I ended up running the entirety of Zoids: New Century/Zero in the background while I built my Nirvash. This Eclipse is amazing. If only Bandai's non-Gundam kits were any good.

Zoids anime is underrated. If nothing else the music is great. And if only Bandai was making them now instead of Kotobukiya...

You can definitely tell Kou Otani was the composer. The music really is great. And while the story is a bit generic, and the dub laughable, I think New Century/Zero should have gotten a second season. It was a lot better than Chaotic Century, with its horrible pacing and inability to address the overarching plot in a meaningful way through nearly the whole first season. Especially with the way it ended, with the Blitz Team winning the Royal Cup and rising to Class S. That could have set the stage for an even more epic second season. Or at least something like Build Fighters Try is to Build Fighters.

I don't know if I agree about the Bandai vs Koto thing though. If there's anything I've learned, it's that Bandai does not put their all into their non-Gundam kits. I think the only difference would be, it'd be a bit easier to keep the Zoids in stock, what with Bandai's superior production capacity. Well, that and the art direction wouldn't be as distinctive or detailed. Say what you will about Kotobukiya, the HMM Zoids do look mechanical-cool, and that's an art style that Bandai doesn't really play with too much. I prefer the mechanical look of the HMM Zoids, and I think if Bandai did them, they'd be slightly-more-detailed posable lookalikes of the old Tomy Zoids. You know, with the anime-esque design aesthetic.

What I do wish is that Koto would get it together and make a Koenig Wolf already. I'd buy 3!

I finished the MG Astray, there's a LOT of parts left over and no instructions at all on what to do with them, extra feet and misc stuff all together.

But I'm a bit disappointed in this kit. While the mobile suit form is fine, I'd of at least liked that damn proper backpack still, the one for the giant sword in general is a joke. I hate the big ass sword and leave it to seed designed mobile suits to even have such a ridiculous thing!

Also the fact that 90% of this kit is rub on transfer in areas that would be extremely difficult and taxing for me to put on....I mean curved areas?! K'mon!

After I finished the giant backpack clinging sword I ended up flicking the antenna off the head and it disappeared for a good 20 minutes....I ended up gluing that sucker in place so it won't happen again and stuffed the whole thing in my display case IN THE BACK.

At least I got the replacement parts for the Strike Freedom RG.....aaannnnddd I lost another piece, like lost lost, vanished. One of the red pieces of trim for the wings went poof. So I just tucked that entire wing section to the back so it won't be noticed.
Maybe I'll sticker it up tomorrow or just stuff it in the box and forget all about it's existence. I'm just done with SEED kits, no more of this crap.

I went to the hobby store a good hour from home and looked around, I really didn't find anything it was a bummer like they were completely picked clean since before christmas and never bothered to restock, even supplies were virtually gone.

I managed to pick up some Testors Enamel thinner Flat black and silver so I can start testing out enamel washes. But kind of nervous to do it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I love seeing all this holiday Gunpla'ing! Great info on the PG Unicorn as well - keep it coming, please.

For myself, I've been so busy finishing projects that I haven't taken much time to photograph them. But, I just finished some shots of my latest RG, and I'll get a gallery up soon.

I may be alone in this opinion, but after building most of the line (only Destiny, Strike Freedom, and Wing EW left), I think Justice is the brightest star!

attachicon.gifCloseup 1.jpg attachicon.gifSurf City.jpg attachicon.gifComin' Atcha.jpg

justice real grade is amazing looking

Okay so out of curiousity, I can't afford an Iwata....not gonna happen right now. But for a rather inexpensive but good start up for someone who wants to air brush, what would be the safest bet?

My first airbrush was a Master G23, with a Master 2-piston 1/3gal air compressor. The compressor is sufficient, and the brush was fine until the seals began degrading. Not great, but good for a beginner. I think I picked them both up as a set from TCPGlobal for $140.

I still use the compressor, because it runs quiet, cool, and puts out more than enough air for brushing, and it has a built-in moisture trap and pressure regulator.

As for your enamel wash concerns, are you just trying to do panel washes, or like weathering washes? If you're just panel lining, thin the paint super thin with enamel thinner, but do your cleanup with lighter fluid. The enamel thinner won't damage your plastic at all, and it won't dull the finish. Also, while I can't speak to other brands, it doesn't affect the finish of Tamiya acrylics. I recommend lighter fluid for cleanup because it will strip the paint a bit more slowly, which makes it more forgiving for cleaning up excess. It's also much, much cheaper than hobby-brand thinner.