I deselected the paypal deal and selected "Give paypal or credit card information upon stock arrival." or whatever. I had set the money aside on a credit card that had a few hundred dollars on there and put a little more on it to cover the costs. I was out with the ex doing some geek shopping and picking her up some chocolate in exchange for keeping me company when I checked my mail and there was the notice saying that they charged my bank account thru paypal for 280 bucks. That's a big ouch seeing how that bank account is primarly used for paying my bills that are set on autopay. I might survive, but I'll have like 10 bucks until the 22nd and I can't use the other card cause it was damaged so THAT has been my online purchase card.

Couldn't you just request a new one? My bank sent me a new one just because I told them some places were having trouble swiping it. The replacement came two days after I called.

I can, but I didn't want too. The interest rate was pretty high when I use it and had 95% of the card paid off with what I had set aside. If I didn't get cheesed on my paycheck this month I would pretty much shake it off. BUT, I didn't get paid right and they aren't going to fix it until the next check which is close to christmas. : / more worried over gas honestly cause of my commute. But I'm on Vacation again after next week....I'll survive somehow.

Pfff, now it's that waiting time for Unicorn to arrive and I dunno what to ever really expect. I've tried to stay away from spoilers and info as much as possible....only lil glances here and there so I'm not 100% sure what to expect in the end.

I've been passing the time b uilding the Crossbone Gundam XM-X1 and as I even read the manga for some insight on detailing I notice...........the Manga version and the model kit version are REALLY different. WTF gives with that? In the manga I"ve read so far, it has the Crossbone Vanguard logo on the center chest piece. But in the model kit that's been replaced with a traditional pirate jolly roger sign. There's also multiple head parts and optional pieces for the skirt armor and torso. I thought maybe it's to give customizers the chance to building the X2 or X3 after some repainting....but that doesn't seem to be the case!

Pfff, now it's that waiting time for Unicorn to arrive and I dunno what to ever really expect. I've tried to stay away from spoilers and info as much as possible....only lil glances here and there so I'm not 100% sure what to expect in the end.

I've been passing the time b uilding the Crossbone Gundam XM-X1 and as I even read the manga for some insight on detailing I notice...........the Manga version and the model kit version are REALLY different. WTF gives with that? In the manga I"ve read so far, it has the Crossbone Vanguard logo on the center chest piece. But in the model kit that's been replaced with a traditional pirate jolly roger sign. There's also multiple head parts and optional pieces for the skirt armor and torso. I thought maybe it's to give customizers the chance to building the X2 or X3 after some repainting....but that doesn't seem to be the case!

I don't really know beans about what's in the MG line, but I'm pretty familiar with Crossbone Gundam. If I had to guess, you're not building the XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam, you're building the XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam Kai Kai, aka Skull Heart.

EDIT: I looked up the MGs, and there are two for Crossbone. There's the XM-X1 Ver. Ka, and the XM-X1 Full Cloth. Full Cloth in the manga was always Skull Heart. If it's the XM-X7 Ver. Ka, it should include extra skirt and chest parts to do it as either the original XM-X1 or as Skull Heart.

Edited by mikeszekely

yep that's the one, skull heart which they didn't label it that way. it DOES have optional parts to make it the original which I might do instead. personally I think there should be parts to do all variants just like the victory gundam (horrible MG, what were they thinking?!)

yep that's the one, skull heart which they didn't label it that way. it DOES have optional parts to make it the original which I might do instead. personally I think there should be parts to do all variants just like the victory gundam (horrible MG, what were they thinking?!)

Could be worse. I'm trying to keep my models on the 1/144 scale, so without any RGs, I went with the HGUC Victory and Victory 2. Instead of giving you the parts to do the variants, they're going to sell new kits for the V-Dash and V2 Assault Buster. Unless the V-Dash comes with heard parts for a Hexa (or unless I rewatch Victory and get a hankering for it's MS), I'll probably pass on it. On the fence with the Assault Buster.

As for Crossbone, what I'd do in your shoes (and what I'd love to do if they do more HGUC Crossbone kits) is built it as the XM-X1 straight, with the Crossbone Vanguard emblem, then build the Skull Heart Full Cloth. As far as the other variants go, the X1 Kai is just a slight weapon/skirt mod from the straight X1, and while all the Crossbone Gundams are based on the F97 design, the X2/X2 Kai and X3 are separate machines from X1. They were released as web exclusives, so I'm not saying you should or shouldn't rush out to get them, but I am saying that I'd want RG or HGUCs of X1, X2 Kai, X3, and Skull Heart Full Cloth to feel like I got them all.

Could be worse. I'm trying to keep my models on the 1/144 scale, so without any RGs, I went with the HGUC Victory and Victory 2. Instead of giving you the parts to do the variants, they're going to sell new kits for the V-Dash and V2 Assault Buster. Unless the V-Dash comes with heard parts for a Hexa (or unless I rewatch Victory and get a hankering for it's MS), I'll probably pass on it. On the fence with the Assault Buster.

As for Crossbone, what I'd do in your shoes (and what I'd love to do if they do more HGUC Crossbone kits) is built it as the XM-X1 straight, with the Crossbone Vanguard emblem, then build the Skull Heart Full Cloth. As far as the other variants go, the X1 Kai is just a slight weapon/skirt mod from the straight X1, and while all the Crossbone Gundams are based on the F97 design, the X2/X2 Kai and X3 are separate machines from X1. They were released as web exclusives, so I'm not saying you should or shouldn't rush out to get them, but I am saying that I'd want RG or HGUCs of X1, X2 Kai, X3, and Skull Heart Full Cloth to feel like I got them all.

I went to my work table to exchange the parts.........I mean k'mon! They give you a new head, new skirt and cockpit armor parts but you know what would make it perfect? The freaking vanguard emblem! It's not there : / Nothing in the stickers, nothing in the rub ons, NOTHING. I got a cartoonish set of skulls and realistic looking set of skulls. .........well nuts! I guess I'll have to put the Version ka on wishlist for next time.

Suddenly I'm hungry for hamburgers.

close enough, I got tacos tonight. But.......now..........I kinda wanna cry!

I DID find the other 2 crossbone units. Kind of surprised they're not more money then what was posted. But it's not "OMIGOD THAT'S TO MUCH!" either. Not like some certain online exclusives I've seen where I scratch my head going "Why would I pay 200 for that?" So I'm just waiting until my new card comes in next week to get them on order.

Suddenly I'm hungry for hamburgers.

Lucky me, they just opened a Burgatory near me. I stopped for lunch. :)

I DID find the other 2 crossbone units. Kind of surprised they're not more money then what was posted. But it's not "OMIGOD THAT'S TO MUCH!" either. Not like some certain online exclusives I've seen where I scratch my head going "Why would I pay 200 for that?" So I'm just waiting until my new card comes in next week to get them on order.

Grats on the find. Me, I went to IKEA today, since they're clearancing out the Detolfs. It was really a special trip for that, since the closest IKEA is an hour or so away, but it turns out there's a Hobbytown USA in the strip mall nearby. I picked up a HGBF Crossbone Gundam Maoh. It's not the sort of kit I'd go out of my way for (I'm sticking to mostly UC), but on a whim at a real hobby store I was all for it. Grabbed a few Gundam Markers, too. Might try panel lining some of the HG kits I've built.

Since I`m starting slowly going back to Gunpla, my next one will be Gundam Ez-SR.

If you're like me, (I built a few HGs years ago then didn't get back into it this summer), i very strongly recommend the Real Grade kits. They're the same scale as the HGs, and reasonably priced (usually between $25-$35 and readily available on Amazon). They're a little more advanced, though (an RG foot might have more parts than an entire HG leg), but they're vastly more detailed. No paint is required because all the parts are molded in the correct color, and they come with a ton of decals, so the finished model looks almost PG good.

That said, buy and build what makes you happy. The joy of Gunpla is that you can do what you want with it.

EDIT: Speaking of customizing... as most of you know, I'm usually into straight builds with just a little paint to get some of the detail on HGs, because I suck pretty bad at the painting thing. I'm certainly not into the paint thing enough to go out and buy a nice airbrush or anything. That said... it might be kind of fun to do a Crossbone Gundam Mike instead of a Crossbone Gundam Maoh. ^_^

Have any of you tried the regular plain ol' cans of spraypaint? Like the kind they have at Walmart? I mean, if they say they're for plastic, they ought to work, so I guess the question is how well?

Edited by mikeszekely

If you're like me, (I built a few HGs years ago then didn't get back into it this summer), i very strongly recommend the Real Grade kits. They're the same scale as the HGs, and reasonably priced (usually between $25-$35 and readily available on Amazon). They're a little more advanced, though (an RG foot might have more parts than an entire HG leg), but they're vastly more detailed. No paint is required because all the parts are molded in the correct color, and they come with a ton of decals, so the finished model looks almost PG good.

That said, buy and build what makes you happy. The joy of Gunpla is that you can do what you want with it.

EDIT: Speaking of customizing... as most of you know, I'm usually into straight builds with just a little paint to get some of the detail on HGs, because I suck pretty bad at the painting thing. I'm certainly not into the paint thing enough to go out and buy a nice airbrush or anything. That said... it might be kind of fun to do a Crossbone Gundam Mike instead of a Crossbone Gundam Maoh. ^_^

Have any of you tried the regular plain ol' cans of spraypaint? Like the kind they have at Walmart? I mean, if they say they're for plastic, they ought to work, so I guess the question is how well?

There's a pretty big array of colors when you use Krylon, they're cheaper and sometimes better color options if you wanna do something colorful and less militaristic, however finding the right color be it gloss or matte is hard. I typically go matte cause of the nicer finish and no gleam or thickness like the gloss colors have. My HG Hi-Nu custom is entirely matte coating and it came out looking nice and sharp. My friends Miss Sazabi custom was used with gloss colors and I wasn't too thrilled with the result and want to redo hers using Tamiya colors since matte red's are easier to find.

post-600-0-57056400-1418508879_thumb.jpgpost-600-0-88587800-1418508917_thumb.jpg

Those two for instance were used with Matte colors.

As for the Crossbone Maoh, I liked it. it's a lot less problematic than the HGUC Crossbone that's out that'll require a lot of paint applying to get an accurate look. That's my problem with HG's, you gotta paint them or they gotta provide the stickers. The older the kit, the more likely you're going to need to paint it to get an accurate look fro the anime or manga. While RG's need very little to no paint application. Well, except I do see that on the Gundam MK II to make it accurate you DO need to do a little paint. They didn't add red to the vernier thrusters on the back pack and the anime shows their interior nozzles to be red.

I've got a HG Unicorn Nemo right now, and I looked it over and saw that while there are stickers, there are a lot of areas where it'll need some paint to look better. If I use stickers which there are a ton of, I'm afraid it could look cheap or uneven. I still run that risk though I guess if I paint cause they're small areas.

post-600-0-20610000-1418509459_thumb.jpgpost-600-0-94519100-1418509477_thumb.jpg

Finally finished the base of the XM-X1 Skullheart. Some areas I don't like.....and I'm not big on the stickers, I think they take away from the look on this particular unit. Just gotta build the full cloth and I'm pretty much done with it.

There's a pretty big array of colors when you use Krylon, they're cheaper and sometimes better color options if you wanna do something colorful and less militaristic, however finding the right color be it gloss or matte is hard. I typically go matte cause of the nicer finish and no gleam or thickness like the gloss colors have. My HG Hi-Nu custom is entirely matte coating and it came out looking nice and sharp. My friends Miss Sazabi custom was used with gloss colors and I wasn't too thrilled with the result and want to redo hers using Tamiya colors since matte red's are easier to find.

As for the Crossbone Maoh, I liked it. it's a lot less problematic than the HGUC Crossbone that's out that'll require a lot of paint applying to get an accurate look. That's my problem with HG's, you gotta paint them or they gotta provide the stickers. The older the kit, the more likely you're going to need to paint it to get an accurate look fro the anime or manga. While RG's need very little to no paint application. Well, except I do see that on the Gundam MK II to make it accurate you DO need to do a little paint. They didn't add red to the vernier thrusters on the back pack and the anime shows their interior nozzles to be red.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the red on the Mk-II's thrusters doesn't bother me too much, so in my mind I haven't needed any paint on any of the RGs. Meanwhile, I don't think I painted my HG Zaku I (Black Tri Stars), HGUC RX-78-2 (until I wanted it to be a RX-78-1), Gouf Custom, or Nu Gundam. The rest all needed everything from minor detailing to whole parts being the wrong color.

Crossbone Maoh looks like it should be pretty accurate out of the box... but I don't like the purplish-gray. I was thinking about grabbing cans of black and white paint, and spraying the purplish-gray to white and the darker blue torso, head, and shoulder bits black. Then I was thinking that instead of using the blue foil stickers for the shoulders, arms, legs, and skirts, that I might paint them red, with a Gundam marker. Thoughts?

As for the HGUC Crossbone X1, I haven't seen any reviews yet to know how much needs painted. But it's actually a brand new kit, derived from the Crossbone Maoh kit (instead of the other way around, for a change), so I'm hoping it's ok. If not, I've got red, yellow, black, and gray Gundam markers, plus red, black, blue, green, white, gray, and yellow paint markers I found in the crafts section at Walmart. I'll make due, same as I did with F91/Victory/V2.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the red on the Mk-II's thrusters doesn't bother me too much, so in my mind I haven't needed any paint on any of the RGs. Meanwhile, I don't think I painted my HG Zaku I (Black Tri Stars), HGUC RX-78-2 (until I wanted it to be a RX-78-1), Gouf Custom, or Nu Gundam. The rest all needed everything from minor detailing to whole parts being the wrong color.

Crossbone Maoh looks like it should be pretty accurate out of the box... but I don't like the purplish-gray. I was thinking about grabbing cans of black and white paint, and spraying the purplish-gray to white and the darker blue torso, head, and shoulder bits black. Then I was thinking that instead of using the blue foil stickers for the shoulders, arms, legs, and skirts, that I might paint them red, with a Gundam marker. Thoughts?

As for the HGUC Crossbone X1, I haven't seen any reviews yet to know how much needs painted. But it's actually a brand new kit, derived from the Crossbone Maoh kit (instead of the other way around, for a change), so I'm hoping it's ok. If not, I've got red, yellow, black, and gray Gundam markers, plus red, black, blue, green, white, gray, and yellow paint markers I found in the crafts section at Walmart. I'll make due, same as I did with F91/Victory/V2.

Hmmmm, the times I've used the red marker have been iffy. I used the red for the Crossbone and wasn't really to into it...it worked, but on darker platic it doesn't work well.

As for Maoh, after stickers it's pretty accurate, I don't recall having to do anything. Now the HGUC Crossbone, it does need paint. Needs gray on the foot and ankle, yellow on the shoulders, white on the anchor's of the cockpit hatch, ugh that's all I can remember right now off the top of my head, it's just those little damn details to me that make you go yay or meh when it's done.

Speaking of done...

post-600-0-47897500-1418513233_thumb.jpg

I'm done. No more, can't do another thing on it! I do like how it came out, kind of pops but the full cloth is rather cumbersome to have the arms out and holding the weaponary. I'll figure it out little later when I go to put it on display. This leaves me now with a Nemo and a MKII to build before Unicorn arrives. I need to go buy batteries for that thing I think tomorrow.

Wait, is that some kind of company-wide thing, or just your store? I don't know where collectors would be without Detolfs!

Far as I know, company-wide. I saw it on their website first and was about to order them, but they wanted $140 in shipping. So, off to the store...

My IKEA looked like they still had several. The clearance price is $64.99. But I wouldn't worry; last time IKEA clearanced something popular like that, it was because they were replacing it with a newer version.

yeah 65 bucks would be the normal price. I think I have 7 of them and they're virtually filled now. 3 have been Transformers, 2 are Gundam related, 1 is misc and then on top are stacked with every known version of the Enterprise, 1/500 Yamato 2199, spinning TARDIS, Metroplex, Omega Supreme, 1/3000 Macross and Fort Max.

I started doing the custom work on my Unicorn edition Nemo and I REALLY like what I did. The only thing stickered on it so far are the front and rear camera lenses and the inner visor sensors. Everything else has been hand painted in yellow, red and dark sea gray. It looks amazing. This is probably my best HG paint job.

I started doing the custom work on my Unicorn edition Nemo and I REALLY like what I did. The only thing stickered on it so far are the front and rear camera lenses and the inner visor sensors. Everything else has been hand painted in yellow, red and dark sea gray. It looks amazing. This is probably my best HG paint job.

I'm just about to finish a Nemo as well (mine is the Zeta Gundam edition). Just a clear flat coat and final put together to go. I changed the bright green color of the original plastic to a more subdued military green with Tamiya spraycan paint.

Hmmmm, the times I've used the red marker have been iffy

Well, maybe I'll rethink the red. Even if it's just for effects, that still similar to the X1 anyway. Instead, maybe I'll paint the red parts blue, and use the foil stickers after all. Still thinking that I'm going to paint the torso and the tops of the shoulders black, though. As for the gray limbs, in photos they look like they have a hint of purple, but not so much at home.

As for Maoh, after stickers it's pretty accurate, I don't recall having to do anything.

It's more of a want to than a have to. I dig the colors on the X1, X2, and X3, but Maoh looks too purplish.

Well, maybe I'll rethink the red. Even if it's just for effects, that still similar to the X1 anyway. Instead, maybe I'll paint the red parts blue, and use the foil stickers after all. Still thinking that I'm going to paint the torso and the tops of the shoulders black, though. As for the gray limbs, in photos they look like they have a hint of purple, but not so much at home.

It's more of a want to than a have to. I dig the colors on the X1, X2, and X3, but Maoh looks too purplish.

I had an idea of doing the foil parts as Yellow, like a chrome yellow. That'll really stand out I think. Don't know why I thought of that but for some reason it's stuck on me now!

I had an idea of doing the foil parts as Yellow, like a chrome yellow. That'll really stand out I think. Don't know why I thought of that but for some reason it's stuck on me now!

Hmm... I could see that. Or green.

Since I've only worked with cheapy Walmart paint pens, I decided to try out the Gundam markers. Red, cool (although not as red as the cheapy one?), yellow, perfect, was able to touch up some of the canary paint I'd put on F91. The gray is fine, but still a brush type. Thin, but not sure I want to try panel lining with it. And the black? Well, turns out I grabbed two grays. :( Not driving an hour one way to exchange it, either.

As for the spray paints... Krylon has a ton of different kinds, and none of them say "matte." The Color Guard stuff was like a buck cheaper, and said flat, but the Fusion stuff says "bonds to plastics." That seems more in line with what I want, so I settled on Fusion. The finish is "Satin". Is that right?