Official Bandai 1/100 VF HI-METAL VF-19S/F

lechuck

Agreed, a lot of people don't really grasp the difficulties involved in design and manufacture of a transforming VF toy, or appreciate that many of the requirements that consumers want are often conflicting.

Consumers these days are very demanding. We want:

1) Perfect transformation.

2) Easy and quick transformation.

3) Lineart accuracy of the sculpt, with a high level of detail.

4) Excellent poseability with many points of articulation.

5) Extremely durability.

6) Lots of gimmicks.

7) Made of high-quality materials.

8) Including many accessories.

9) Tight (non-floppy joints), which retain their tightness after time.

10) Low cost.

Certainly there is often conflict between points 1, 4, 5 & 10. The more points of articulation you put into a toy, the longer it will take to get everything lined up just-right to transform. The more points of artculation you have, the greater number of parts, which will be pulled, moved, twisted etc. which means greater chance of something breaking. The higher number of parts also equals higher cost.

Again point 10 is often in conflict with many of the other points, especially 3, 6, 7, & 8.

Graham

Agreed, a lot of people don't really grasp the difficulties involved in design and manufacture of a transforming VF toy, or appreciate that many of the requirements that consumers want are often conflicting.

Consumers these days are very demanding. We want:

1) Perfect transformation.

2) Easy and quick transformation.

3) Lineart accuracy of the sculpt, with a high level of detail.

4) Excellent poseability with many points of articulation.

5) Extremely durability.

6) Lots of gimmicks.

7) Made of high-quality materials.

8) Including many accessories.

9) Tight (non-floppy joints), which retain their tightness after time.

10) Low cost.

Certainly there is often conflict between points 1, 4, 5 & 10. The more points of articulation you put into a toy, the longer it will take to get everything lined up just-right to transform. The more points of artculation you have, the greater number of parts, which will be pulled, moved, twisted etc. which means greater chance of something breaking. The higher number of parts also equals higher cost.

Again point 10 is often in conflict with many of the other points, especially 3, 6, 7, & 8.

Graham

I'm glad you pointed that out because I think many consumers never know the scenes behind before a toy show up on shelves. I'm in manufacturing business so I do understand the truth behind.

These are the points from a consumer standpoints, but in manufacturing's shoes you also have to figure out

1. MOQ

2. R&D

3. Productivity

4. Manufacturing cost

It doesn't matter what scale the toy is, be it 1/48 scale or 1/144 scale, all manufaaturers work with target price within a volume so all above mentioned factors have to work under the cost restrictions.

Of course, there are marketing involved before everything goes into production.

Agreed, look at the Yamato 1/60 VF-1 v.02 and 1/60 YF-19, are the same ?

Indeed, those are what Yamato regarded as 1G, 2G and 3G of their Macross's toy line which they have been improving.

Definitely going to look into modifying the gunpod on my second Blazer (which I keep in fighter mode), so that it can attach to the fighter. Should be fairly easy.

Just need to copy the mod that Jarrod did to his Fire Valk's gunpod (see Jarrod's pic attached).

Graham

post-11-127959378117_thumb.jpg

Can you open the leg-bays and put in the missiles in fightermode too ? Or is it Battroid only ?

Like this:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macross7/vf-19custom/vf-19custom-missilebaydetailsfighter.gif

Yes, you can........sorta.

The open leg-bay doors block the wing tabs from plugging back in, but the wings still hold position.

I'll try and post a pic when I get home tonight.

Graham

Can you open the leg-bays and put in the missiles in fightermode too ? Or is it Battroid only ?

Like this:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macross7/vf-19custom/vf-19custom-missilebaydetailsfighter.gif

Actually, yes you can attach the open leg-bay doors with the missiles in fighter mode. See the 3 attached pics.

I made a mistake in my previous post when I said the wing tab wouldn't lock into the leg with the open bay doors attached. Actually, the wing locks in place just fine.

Graham

post-11-12797218699_thumb.jpg

post-11-127972189788_thumb.jpg

post-11-127972196038_thumb.jpg

I finally got my 19S yesterday. Now I know why there wasn't much effort put into Gerwalk, it's not terribly poseable and the wings tend to be a floppy mess. Actually, I regret getting this thing. It's fighter mode still has all of the issues of 1/60 Yammie, the Gerwalk actually looks worse and isn't as poseable as the 1/60, and despite not being as floppy and the chest holds together better than the 1/60 Yammie it really isn't as poseable in Battroid either. I like the use of the metal joints for portions of it but it's just not as dynamic in motion as the VF-1 was in battroid.

and despite not being as floppy and the chest holds together better than the 1/60 Yammie it really isn't as poseable in Battroid either. I like the use of the metal joints for portions of it but it's just not as dynamic in motion as the VF-1 was in battroid.

I disagree, I find it very poseable in battroid mode, even more so if you pose it using the display stand. You can achieve some very dynamic poses.

Heh, and I like mine so much I'm planning on picking up a 3rd one tonight.

Graham

I disagree, I find it very poseable in battroid mode, even more so if you pose it using the display stand. You can achieve some very dynamic poses.

Heh, and I like mine so much I'm planning on picking up a 3rd one tonight.

Graham

The only reason it's poseable is because of that stand. The lack of movement in the hips limits it, which is why it pretty much can't be posed in Gerwalk.

Is it possible the hips are just too stiff for you? I don't recall articulation being much of an issue with the Kai... if I weren't at work I'd go to anymoon.com and watch my youtube review to see if I could identify the issue.

Oh that was a shameless bit of pluggery right there wasn't it :)

Is it possible the hips are just too stiff for you? I don't recall articulation being much of an issue with the Kai... if I weren't at work I'd go to anymoon.com and watch my youtube review to see if I could identify the issue.

Oh that was a shameless bit of pluggery right there wasn't it :)

It's possible. I don't want to break it. There's pretty much no hip articulation inwards or outwards on mine. Though, that won't help the crappy Gerwalk mode much.

I think you need to write an email to Kawamori about the crappy GERWALK mode since it has sucked on all VF-19 toys and sucks on the VF-19 in general... I love making fun of that mode on that model... wing-roots in the armpit... just plain silly.

Well, I like this toy so much, I just picked up my 3rd one. Got this one from the Causeway Bay branch of Animate for HK$499.

Was shopping around Mong Kok last night and the Blazer seems to be sold out everywere but Animate and also one shop in the basement of the 111 Richmond Center on Argyle Street.

Heh, I just noticed the box art picture of the VF-19F has the large triple vernier cluster aft of the cockpit, whereas the actual VF-19S toy lacks it!

Graham

Anybody have problem in fitting on fighter mode? The shoulder pad does not lock onto the rear of the leg properly and comes off with the slightest nudge. Also the calf seems to curve outwards after snapping it to the freaking tight clip on the main fuselage. I tried adjusting it for a number of times and still face the problems.

My Kai has one shoulder that likes to release from the leg and protrude about a milimeter from the surface and requires me fidgeting with the angle of the leg to get it to stay down (and even then it's easily dislodged). I noticed on Bandai's pics they almost always have the shoulders not tucked completely into the legs so I'm guessing that's just the way it is. It should only be off the leg by a hair though. Not sure about your calf dilemma but it may be exascerbating your shoulder dilemma.

Edited by jenius

Thanks for the answer Graham and jenius, guess everyone is having the same issue. I'm not a fan of Macross 7 but the VF-19S and kai do look sweet in both battroid and fighter mode. Btw My VF-19S is tighter as compared to VF-19kai, my VF-19kai's right shoulder pops out with the slightest touch. Manage to "fix" it by applying little bit of super glue to narrow down the slot on the shoulder joint.

I fiddled with my Fire Valk a bit, and discovered that the angle you set the upper arms at can make a big difference in how the shoulders sit. Mostly it's because the upper arms have so many ways they bend, and I don't even remember how to do it off the top of my head.

It just takes a little fiddling with the upper shoulders, and I can usually get my shoulders to lay perfectly flat into the backs of the thighs.

Yeah, I have the same problem with my 19S with the angle of the legs in fighter mode and the should pad issue. My bigger problem is I broke off the center head lazer already. I super glued it back on but it easily breaks off again due to it always getting hit by the plastic lip of the upper "spine" when the torso is transformed.

Chris

It's far safer if you remove the back of the head part during transformation. You need to swap out the battroid head part for the more flat sided fighter mode head part anyway.

Graham

Problem is that the center head laser isn't part of the rear head assembly but part of the head itself.

Chris

Well, I like this toy so much, I just picked up my 3rd one. Got this one from the Causeway Bay branch of Animate for HK$499.

I guess the excitement is somehow contagious. I also bought a second blazer from Animate causeway bay. Now if only they would hurry up with the VF-19F

I guess the excitement is somehow contagious. I also bought a second blazer from Animate causeway bay. Now if only they would hurry up with the VF-19F

Got mine yesterday and had a mixed feeling about it. Details are awesome, everything locks in place, got a nice heft to it, solid-solid-solid. Batroid mode is super excellent, but the fighter mode... Gah... A valk without its gunpod in fighter mode is like an eagle without its claws. I was planning to buy 2, but the missing gunpod attachment left me wanting.

Well, considering this is a patch work from the previous VF19kai, I should give them credits. The display stand and missile bays are a great bonus but Bandai could just easily gives us a gunpod attachment. Something that plugs in between the arms and holds the gunpod by the handle (rant over).

All in all, a great toy, especially in batroid mode. My second VF Hi-Metal and definitely not the last!

• 4 weeks later...