HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

Gubaba

I knew sooner or later he would ban me again because I said it here so many times that he lost his use for me because I did not accomplish what he wanted me to do like make you,HP,Viper,Aladdin Sane angry to the bursting point so he can have a list or reasons for banning you.

Well, I can't speak for HP or Viper, but your attempts to piss me off were so childish that it just made me chuckle. It was petty and annoying, but hardly anger-inducing. Same goes for Memo's attempts ("LISSENED TO DOUGH'S PODCAST. LOTS OF GOOD INFORMATION THERE. HE'S RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING. HEHEHE").

Water off a duck's back, man.

By the way,here is another tidbit of info (since you guys been nice to me so far) I heard to those laughing at HG on the LAM,I was told that when a script draft is complete they send it to HG so they can make sure it stays in line with Robotech.Does that mean they trying to keep Macross elements in or out?

Who knows? Who cares?

Anyone who's actually INVOLVED in the film isn't talking. Anyone who's not involved, but says he knows what's going on should be taken with a grain of salt. Anyone who's speculating about what they're is doing just that: speculating.

No one knows anything yet. We'll find out eventually, one way or another.

Edited by Gubaba

One reason I think the LAM might still be a go is that Hollywood loves an idea with a history -

ANYTHING with a history of fans - they'll probably approve it . . .

(Tobey - if you're forging ahead against all odds, make it gritty ala District 9 - PLEAZZZE not slick and polished with cutesy this and that, one liners & all the crap)

Anyone who's actually INVOLVED in the film isn't talking. Anyone who's not involved, but says he knows what's going on should be taken with a grain of salt. Anyone who's speculating about what they're is doing just that: speculating.

Nah... some of the people who're speculating are also making ridiculous assertions about the movie and banning anyone who points out that they have no basis in fact.

One reason I think the LAM might still be a go is that Hollywood loves an idea with a history -

But does Hollywood love an idea with a history that can best be summed up as a sequence of embarrassing failures?

Gubaba

I knew sooner or later he would ban me again because I said it here so many times that he lost his use for me because I did not accomplish what he wanted me to do like make you,HP,Viper,Aladdin Sane angry to the bursting point so he can have a list or reasons for banning you.

I guess Memo can't answer a simple "what if HG screws you too" question.

By the way,here is another tidbit of info (since you guys been nice to me so far) I heard to those laughing at HG on the LAM,I was told that when a script draft is complete they send it to HG so they can make sure it stays in line with Robotech.Does that mean they trying to keep Macross elements in or out?

So he tried to make us angry? lol fail... I don't get mad over internet crap, so that wouldn't have worked with me =]

Script draft is complete? Wow, it took them this long to come up with a decent story?

and the answer to your question? Of course there won't be any macross elements in it.

and I also heard from a little birdie that HG will have no creative control over the movie either other than to promote it.

Even if the RLAM get's done and shown on the theater's, it's going to have a hard time competing with other live action movies based on much more well known animes that will also be in theater's by that time. There's Evangelion, Akira, and Cowboy Bebop already in the process of being turned into live action movies. Also add to that a potential third Transformer movie, and it's going to be a very bloody battle for the box office.

Additional Update:

Robotech panel @ Katsucon:

Edited by Moly_Sigang

Robotech panel @ Katsucon:

"We tried to license more Macross, like Macross 7, but it's not our fault. The creators aren't even talking to each other" (not exact dialog, but close enough)

Well gee golly, when the people sue each other you think they're just gonna say let bygones-be-bygones? Heck, the folks that HG got their license from sued Bandai. Yes, Bandai. BW has had a wonderful relationship with Bandai since Macross II. I doubt that will change. :rolleyes: But Big West started it? Well, Big West probably won't have done anything if something didn't prompt them to look at it... :rolleyes:

"Warner Brothers actually wanted to work with us on the scheduling for Shadow Chronicles due to the LAM..."

And if WB and Maguire Ent. haven't green lit a script, what then? Heck, the lawyers just killed FANART for VFTF1's sake...(we probably have too many Petes here so I'm just gonna pick on one)

Thought I might chime in on the UEG thing, just because I haven't talked about the strangeness of HG in a looooong time and this is making me nostalgic :lol:

Basically, HG was in its full legal rights to yank the project, but the main question is... why? It wasn't making money, and it was something they've known about for a loooong time.

I do know the UEG people had contacted HG on more than one occasion about licensing it and making it official, which HG said "no" to, again totally understandable and totally their legal right.

And obviously UEG had other projects they were working on, so maybe they wanted this to be a showcase to grab attention, then release their own product later?

That's what that guy James Cawley did with Star Trek New Voyages. Make a bunch of Star Trek fan films (some argue great, some argue terrible, either way he made 'em), and now he's working on his own Buck Rogers web series that he does have the rights to and will try and make money from.

CBS could and still can pull the plug on these Trek fan films anytime they want, but they let him do his thing as long as he doesn't make a dime. Not to mention, it would be really bad PR if they did pull the plug, considering he gets the original actors and writers to work on it.

But HG pulling the plug on this project now, and this project alone is really bizarre. So HG doesn't want to license the project, fine. And they don't want people making money off of their product - understandable. But if that wasn't going to be the case, then it goes back to... why?

Since no one but the people directly involved really know the whole story, all we can do is speculate. One could argue that with the LAM supposedly in development, a project of this caliber (and some would argue much better looking than anythign HG's has done) could skew the perception of your product to the average joe.

On my old Shadow Chronicles site, I was politely asked to pull some of my fan-trailers for looking "too official" (and they were by all standards, crap to begin with). When I uploaded them to YouTube, they mysteriously went missing after a while.

So who knows. All I know is that I really wanted to see what they had done and now I can't. Oh well.

HappyPenguins

So he tried to make us angry? lol fail... I don't get mad over internet crap, so that wouldn't have worked with me =]
]

He had a double plan from what I assumed,If I did not make you folks mad enuf then me being unbanned on rt.com would make you mad, thats what he said in the phone chats we had.The man never told out right to make people mad, he just thot it was funny on what I was doing.

But there was one thing that I did wrong that made Memo panic and thats what JasonC cleared up, when I said Tom Bateman was fired for that leaked script, Memo called me up and was so worried and told me to contact Juan and get more details on the situation because he was worried how HG and fans would see him after folks discovered that I knew and from what I gather he wanted me to shift the blame to Juan. Believe it or not,I never contacted Juan.

Waters7

I believe what you said about that info of RLAM, because at WB.com there is nothing on Robotech

Pete (not the VFTF1 Pete)

Since no one but the people directly involved really know the whole story, all we can do is speculate. One could argue that with the LAM supposedly in development, a project of this caliber (and some would argue much better looking than anythign HG's has done) could skew the perception of your product to the average joe.

To protect the amount of time and effort people have invested in fan projects, maybe creators should think twice about directly promoting their stuff in places like rt and rtx.com no matter the quality. Unless you go through the trouble of submitting stuff at rt.com and accepting their terms, everyone is at risk.

Unless you go through the trouble of submitting stuff at rt.com and accepting their terms, everyone is at risk.

True that. I remember once when doing my site, I announced an upcoming interview with the Waltrips on their Shadow Chronicles comic, HG asked me to hold off until another interview regarding the comic on another site was published because they were granted exclusive access. I said okay as a courtesy, and had to hound HG for a while to get the go ahead to publish the interview.

But this also begs the question - is every RT fan project at risk now? Not that there are that many of them at all. This is RT, after all.

True that. I remember once when doing my site, I announced an upcoming interview with the Waltrips on their Shadow Chronicles comic, HG asked me to hold off until another interview regarding the comic on another site was published because they were granted exclusive access. I said okay as a courtesy, and had to hound HG for a while to get the go ahead to publish the interview.

But this also begs the question - is every RT fan project at risk now? Not that there are that many of them at all. This is RT, after all.

That source given exclusive access wouldn't be the Space Station Liberty podcast, would it?

Perhaps not just RT fan projects, but Macross fan projects as well, since in some circles they are still considered the same thing and they trademarked the hell out of it almost everywhere except in Japan.

To protect the amount of time and effort people have invested in fan projects, maybe creators should think twice about directly promoting their stuff in places like rt and rtx.com no matter the quality. Unless you go through the trouble of submitting stuff at rt.com and accepting their terms, everyone is at risk.

Dere Harmoneygold,

My naim iz Petar. I layk robotech. Hear iz may fan fiksion submersion:

Once upon a day, Rick Hunter said "Oh no." Lisa said "what is wrong?" Rick said "Fire!" Lisa went. He said no and they came back to the brige. "Transform!" And it transformed. When they went it was fires a lazer to the place where wrong. "I love you!" she was screaming but Rick . The Zntders was bigger than him went right and she ran. Fire! Fire! I said again was not the way home in the black hole!

TITLE: Return of Rick Hunter from the Black Hole

Going away from the black was big. Then there is a battle and they die. But where did they go? They went against the Invid who were hiding there on Haydon 15. I am "Rick Hunter!" he "said."

"So?"

"So yes!"

"Where do you goi?"

"I am RICK HUNTER! he said"

Oh ok. I love you and Lisa was there because when that was going he was flying here again and SF-1D transfor!m Transform! Boom! Boom!

"What is that?"

John said. John was running but Rick Hunter "i am RICK HUNTER!! He said and John said "oh."

John was Minmey's cousin.

"My second cousin, Minmey said, is john."

Vicyory! Can yo ufeel to take it! You can not fake it! You will make it!

Singing was so beautifull and that touched for John's "I am Rick HUNTER! and the sound was made again he said it like it meant for loving something.

"

To Be Continyoud.

Kan I please make publishing movie-film this HG? Non profit for fan!

I LOV ROBOTEC!! PLEASE HG LET ME CONTINUE MY FAN PROJECT! NEXT WILL DRAW Comic books! No homos or pedos!

Pete

That was beautiful, Pete. And so exciting! Please, tell us more about Minmei's cousin John! And *gasp* WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO RICK HUNTER???? WILL HE BE OKAY???

(This is why robotech is superior to Macross. Rick Hunter is very important in Robotch, but Hikajoo Jojo is forgotten in Macross.)

Only the fan projects that use content from Robotech such as the designs and characters.

There goes my website project

That was beautiful, Pete. And so exciting! Please, tell us more about Minmei's cousin John! And *gasp* WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO RICK HUNTER???? WILL HE BE OKAY???

(This is why robotech is superior to Macross. Rick Hunter is very important in Robotch, but Hikajoo Jojo is forgotten in Macross.)

I CANT TELL MORE BECAUSE OF LAM HEHEHEHEHEHEHE. BUT SOON I WILL MAKE IMPOTENT ANNOUNCEMENT!

PETE

"All your fanfics are belong to us!"

Robotech fans should do what HG wants, and stop talking about Robotech, stop doing any fan sites, fan works, pics, customs, etc. They're working hard at giving you the worst toys possible, cause they don't want you buying those, too. Why are you all acting like Macross Purists and still talking about Robotech and wanting to do fanfics and stuff with it? <_<

VFTF1

TITLE: Return of Rick Hunter from the Black Hole

Sorry man,but if you do that then "Harm many Gold" will dedicate this song to you

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BE...p;v=09I4Mi5IUl4

Ha.The part at 2:15 kind of reminds me of HG suing out of stupidity

Becauze my Robotech fanfic "The Return from the Black Hole of Rick Hunter" is very impotent!

I will has Doug Bedno teling his 9,00.0 lessoners about i t!

Pete

I agree with you Pete, and I'm definitely pretty sure that the creators of Transformers are surely maybe quaking in their boots at the thought that a movie will be made of your fanfic. And if they make one movie, they'll 100% probably make a dozen! And Robotech will BE the new Americana!

Edited by Gubaba

Robotech fans should do what HG wants, and stop talking about Robotech, stop doing any fan sites, fan works, pics, customs, etc.

But how would they market their product without manipulating what goes into fan sites????

Here's what you have to do if you don't the plug pulled on your RT project.

1) make it is whatever your making

2) Act all wide eyed when HG talks to you for whatever reason

3) Do anything and everything they say

I'm just guessing, I have no history with this whatsoever.

I don't think there is any real way to "do it right". Probably the best thing to have done would've been to never talk to HG about it. I guess there's the live and learn factor, in which no one should really get involved in doing stuff for a company that is looking to shaft you. Just by reading througout various blogs, websites, and whatnot, this action has seemed to really backfire on HG, and for a moving picture fanfic with no monetary gain. Dust that dirt of your shoulders!!! Time to be Voltron fans

VFTF1

Sorry man,but if you do that then "Harm many Gold" will dedicate this song to you

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BE...p;v=09I4Mi5IUl4

Ha.The part at 2:15 kind of reminds me of HG suing out of stupidity

That's HG's official company theme song btw. :p

And Robotech will BE the new Americana!

I thought that Robotech already WAS the new Americana!!

I wonder how many alleged Robotech fans are really closet Macross fans who can't come to terms with the fact that Robotech sucks.

I bet that more Robotech fans watch Macross stuff than admit to it.....

Taksraven

Does Yune or McKeever, being the... "affable" chaps that they are on on these "kickass" Robotech conventions, have a say on who gets sent a CnD letter? Or does the Harmony Gold's crack legal team operate independently, scouring the internet for people who use "their" designs?

Does Yune or McKeever, being the... "affable" chaps that they are on on these "kickass" Robotech conventions, have a say on who gets sent a CnD letter? Or does the Harmony Gold's crack legal team operate independently, scouring the internet for people who use "their" designs?

If the letterhead is from a law firm, then they do not have in-house lawyers. And as clients of a law firm, they have to tell the lawyers who to send letters to. If they tell a law firm to go after everybody, that would be blowing lots of money and man-hours searching the 'Net for infringements. If it has HG's letterhead, then it's probably a template C&D letter.

I don't think there is any real way to "do it right". Probably the best thing to have done would've been to never talk to HG about it. I guess there's the live and learn factor, in which no one should really get involved in doing stuff for a company that is looking to shaft you. Just by reading througout various blogs, websites, and whatnot, this action has seemed to really backfire on HG, and for a moving picture fanfic with no monetary gain. Dust that dirt of your shoulders!!! Time to be Voltron fans

There's also not letting a certain person who has a lot of connections (a liability in this case) within the fandom know about your project and decide it's a good idea to promote it on their site for the benefit of the franchise's 25th anniversary. <_<

Edited by Einherjar

If the letterhead is from a law firm, then they do not have in-house lawyers. And as clients of a law firm, they have to tell the lawyers who to send letters to. If they tell a law firm to go after everybody, that would be blowing lots of money and man-hours searching the 'Net for infringements. If it has HG's letterhead, then it's probably a template C&D letter.

They have their own legal team. What I don't get is why they're busy sending letters to fans, when they should be busy trying to keep Frank Agrama from his own legal troubles?

They have their own legal team. What I don't get is why they're busy sending letters to fans, when they should be busy trying to keep Frank Agrama from his own legal troubles?

I thought the connection made with that Italian prime minister years ago was dropped thanks to the statue of limitations.

This is crazy,

You folks are telling me that harmony gold actually has money to pay a lawyer to take time to write a letter and mail it and pay the $300 plus bill for that time? How the Hell did they get the money to pay the lawyers?,, oh that supposed lump sum of money that WB already paid HG is what keeping the employess of HG fed and to pay lawyers.

I am shocked that Memo did not pop in here yet to try to turn this into a real legal debate so he can justify and defend the stupidity of harmony gold and they way the treat Robotech.

After watching that recent vid of steve Yune and Tony I cracked up at the end of the video when alot of fans asked about Macross Frontier and steve suddenly had a wooden face... Totally epic.

Robotech fans wanting Macross animes needs to come out,I did and I am still alive.