HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

Really though i think WB bought the rights to RT so they could make your run-of-the-mill summer sci-fi movie, but have a little history to back it up. Even if RT doesn't have any mainstream recognition, they could market the hell out of it and create a belief that it was one of the ground breaking cartoons of the 80's(since their primary market will be kids that weren't alive then)

Seeing a Robotech live movie that alienates old fans of the franchise even further to get the attention of the mainstream is possible.

It all kinda depends if they can make an anime movie boom like they did with comic book movies

Exactly.

And one reason amongst a million that I don't see it happening is also this:

Comic books had their live-action counter parts in TV series for many decades before the most recent LAMs for Spiderman or Hulk or Batman. I mean, I remember loving the Incredible Hulk with Lou Faringo and Bill Bixby on TV. That series kicked ass. But there were also numerous others on TV too. Batman's 60s camp live action is also memorable.

So it's not like there were just comics and cartoons and no live action counterpart.

Meanwhile - anime... that's different. I mean - live action can't do anime well - it can't because anime takes the opportunity to be crazy that drawing things offers. I dunno... there are just so many characteristic facial expression in anime that can't translate into live action, or situations - I guess I'm talking kind of manga styles that can translate from manga to anime but not from anime to LAM.

And there will always be a place for the uniqueness that anime brings us as opposed to LAM.... at least I think so.

Pete

Meanwhile - anime... that's different. I mean - live action can't do anime well - it can't because anime takes the opportunity to be crazy that drawing things offers. I dunno... there are just so many characteristic facial expression in anime that can't translate into live action, or situations - I guess I'm talking kind of manga styles that can translate from manga to anime but not from anime to LAM.

It's also especially hard when you don't have the real creators and talent for the material you're adapting working on the collaboration. It adds credibility to the venture.

Edited by Einherjar

Well, at least they'll have an excuse for why it doesn't resemble the "orginal show".

Makes you wonder why they even purchased the rights to Robotech. It's not like its a really recognizable name like transformers. If they're going to have to build the movie from the ground up, they might as well have created an original brand for themselves instead.

Well, at least they'll have an excuse for why it doesn't resemble the "orginal show".

Makes you wonder why they even purchased the rights to Robotech. It's not like its a really recognizable name like transformers. If they're going to have to build the movie from the ground up, they might as well have created an original brand for themselves instead.

The thing is, WB (through smart marketing) can create the illusion that RT was much greater than it was. If done properly and with enough tenacity, they can make people believe it was a great ground-breaking show. You can twist history easily through the media.

The thing is, WB (through smart marketing) can create the illusion that RT was much greater than it was. If done properly and with enough tenacity, they can make people believe it was a great ground-breaking show. You can twist history easily through the media.

This is true

Funny, that's what HG has always been doing. We'll always know, but everyone else won't in time to do anything about it... maybe. I keep forgetting it's no longer the 80s and we have the Internet.

Maybe WB fell for that too initially, bringing us to where the movie is now.

Edited by Einherjar

This is true

No - it's not.

If WB tried anything as ridiculous it would be destroyed the minute that the story got out. And their competitors would be more than happy to undermine their story, not to mention regular fans, people who know something about the 80s etc.

Your assuming that media is homogenous and that there's only one chanell. Most marketing is not a lie. Most marketing is based on some real qualities of the product that are just exagerated a little bit. And most of the exageration is pretty transparent.

Besides - rather than try to make RT sound important, why don't they just come up with their own Sci-fi movie and make the MOVIE sound important? Better yet - why not try to make a truly important movie and market something with content and strength?

I would not put too much weight into WB purchasing the rights to Robotech. First of all - any guesses as to how much it sold for? I am guessing it was not more than 10 million dollars - in other words - chump change. So why not buy it?

It's concievable WB has a purchasing division which invests in rights to various properties n a daily basis. Do you think studios just buy things when they need it and determine "ok - we're making this movie." HG was hawking it and found somebody at Warners to buy it. Whether it was a good sales pitch or whether they found an RT fan who happened to have a budget and a line to higher ups is irrelevent - the point is - they made some money and WB got these rights to play around with. They'll play around with it, conclude it doesn't work out, and that's it.

But...whatever... if they make the LAM it will just go more and more to show that HG failed in "bringing anime to the USA" since a sign of success would be people crowding the theatres to see ...oh...I dunno...anime movies! :)

Pete

It may not work, i'm just saying if i had to try to sell an RT movie to the masses, that's how i would do it. Really i don't know how many casual movie-goers would actually put time into looking up info on RT to see how false the illusion is, i doubt many people are that stingy for a $10 movie ticket.

And if they didn't buy the RT license for its name recognition, why did they buy it? (and, lol, 10 million? i doubt that very much. i doubt that HG is even worth half that much)

And if they didn't buy the RT license for its name recognition, why did they buy it? (and, lol, 10 million? i doubt that very much. i doubt that HG is even worth half that much)

If you're right - which you probably are - then I think that the only reason they bought it was because somewhere in WB, one of the guys in charge of buying up rights to dying franchises was an RT fan. If it was less than 10 million bucks then they could have just bought it as a pool of purchases made in the same time frame.

I imagine studios buy stuff like this all the time just to tinker with it.

In any case, the name recognition is limited to anime fans who all recognize that Robotech sucks...

Pete

I imagine studios buy stuff like this all the time just to tinker with it.

Its quite common for studios to buy a property and just sit on it for years. Theres an interesting story of some studio buying the rights to the Fantasic 4 live action movie some time in the 80's and not doing anything with it. In around '92 their license was about to expire unless they made a movie from it, so they made some crap low budget movie just to keep the property.

So, it could just be WB and Toby just bought the rights to the RT LAM just so they could own it and maybe do something with it in a undecided future date.

Yes - which AGAIN proves that the HG party line about "we're waiting with Shadow Rising until Warner makes the franchise more marketable to give us better chances of getting a sponsor" is phoney.

There's absolutely nothing that say they need to do that - they could just as well do the opposite: make Shadow Rising a popular TV series to get WB interested in investing big bucks in the LAM.

But of course - that would mean they'd have to produce a good TV series - which is something they can't do.

Pete

Yes - which AGAIN proves that the HG party line about "we're waiting with Shadow Rising until Warner makes the franchise more marketable to give us better chances of getting a sponsor" is phoney.

There's absolutely nothing that say they need to do that - they could just as well do the opposite: make Shadow Rising a popular TV series to get WB interested in investing big bucks in the LAM.

But of course - that would mean they'd have to produce a good TV series - which is something they can't do.

Pete

I doubt HG has the resources, financially or creatively, to make a TV series. i can't imagine, with it's quality, TSC cost that much to make and HG expects to get the money to make a TV series. Not just that, they need a network to air it, sponsors, marketing, etc. And they can't really expect to have proper merchandising with an exclusive contract with a small-time incompetent company like Toynami (though HG and Toynami are two peas in a pod when it comes to incompetence)

I think the real reason they aren't going ahead with any TV show is they have absolutely no idea how to get it off the ground.

That's not necessarily the case... after all, we've seen a fair bit of evidence that Harmony Gold's representatives started buying into their own hype a long time ago. It may very well be that they genuinely believe Maguire Entertainment and Warner Bros are going to raise Robotech's profile with a moderately successful live-action movie and are banking on it without realizing that there's a very real possibility that the movie will never come out and Warner'll just sit on the license until it expires.

I doubt HG has the resources, financially or creatively, to make a TV series. i can't imagine, with it's quality, TSC cost that much to make and HG expects to get the money to make a TV series.

Thus far, Harmony Gold seems thoroughly uninterested in doing a weekly Robotech TV series. I guess they think low-budget direct-to-DVD movies are the way to go, since they have neither the resources nor the talent to compete against mainstream anime or American cartoons. I'd imagine that's why they were planning the "shadow saga" as a trilogy of movies rather than a TV show.

Not just that, they need a network to air it, sponsors, marketing, etc. And they can't really expect to have proper merchandising with an exclusive contract with a small-time incompetent company like Toynami (though HG and Toynami are two peas in a pod when it comes to incompetence)

I think the real reason they aren't going ahead with any TV show is they have absolutely no idea how to get it off the ground.

Just going by all the obnoxious honking Kevin McKeever has done over the years, it seems like the biggest stumbling block is that there's just no market for a new Robotech series and the Harmony Gold execs know it. McKeever's standard response when people ask why Harmony Gold hasn't bothered with a new Robotech series in the 20+ years since Sentinels went under is that they need to get an episode commitment from a network first, and you could easily infer from that response that Harmony Gold has tried, and there were no takers.

Where did HG get the doe to make the Shadow Chronicles? Do the Robotech boxsets still sell big or what? I know that you can watch Robotech on itunes but I cannot imagine anyone who would want to 'pay' for the privilege of watching it on their ipod.

You guys seem to be confusing why HG is holding off on the sequel to Shadow Chronicles. They're not holding off because they want to do something with WB. That's a Kevin McKeever falsism that he spouts. Tommy Yune said it flat out at Comic-con: HG is holding off on Shadow Rising IN THE HOPES that WB will do something to make the Robotech name MORE VALUABLE. Tommy said that if WB started getting the Robotech name out there more then Tommy could secure a better deal for a sequel to Shadow Chronicles which would mean better sales for the franchise and better returns for any sponsors. There's a snowball effect then because if sponsors see more value in the franchise they'll invest more money, the franchise can create a better product, it looks like it's going to do even better so more sponsors come on board, that sort of thing. So, you're not seeing Shadow Rising right now because HG wants to have a better budget on that film than they did on Shadow Chronicles and the only way to do that is to get the Robotech name some clout (and WB is the only ones capable of doing that).

Hollywood could be HG's last chance to change the franchise's situation. They really can't do anything for Robotech by themselves anymore and their activity shows. And they're willing to do whatever it takes to get it done. Anything. It's no longer just an alternative to creating their own stuff like Shadow Rising, it's their only option.

That's why I think they're desperate enough to be relatively inactive for a long period of time so that someone with more money and resources can do a lot of the work for them. It's not just any kind of work, it's something with better potential quality. Sure, there are no guarantees that anything will happen with it for a while, but it is probably more preferable for them rather than doing another animated project with the assets they have (feigning responsibility over continuing or concluding the Shadow Saga). Plus, it didn't cost them anything to do, they got paid some amount so WB can tinker with the idea.

I know the truth about the first airing of The New Generaton...

Corg gets turned into paste by a Cyclone mini-missle.

I've had a running battle over at Robotch.com on the subject, and I'll be just as glad to have one here, which will not be stopped until Carl Mecek himself settles the arguement.

Edited by Wanzerfan

I've had a running battle over at Robotch.com on the subject, and I'll be just as glad to have one here, which will not be stopped until Carl Mecek himself settles the arguement.

I am the Hier to the Throne of England!!

Twas I who was fathered by Prince Charles with a Polish cleaning lady!!

I've had a running battle over at www.Royalblood.com on the subject, and I'll be just as glad to have one here, which will not be stopped until Prince Charles registers as a member of MW himself and settles this argument!

Well your Higness? Dad??

Pete

No - it's not.

If WB tried anything as ridiculous it would be destroyed the minute that the story got out. And their competitors would be more than happy to undermine their story, not to mention regular fans, people who know something about the 80s etc.

Your assuming that media is homogenous and that there's only one chanell. Most marketing is not a lie. Most marketing is based on some real qualities of the product that are just exagerated a little bit. And most of the exageration is pretty transparent.

Besides - rather than try to make RT sound important, why don't they just come up with their own Sci-fi movie and make the MOVIE sound important? Better yet - why not try to make a truly important movie and market something with content and strength?

I would not put too much weight into WB purchasing the rights to Robotech. First of all - any guesses as to how much it sold for? I am guessing it was not more than 10 million dollars - in other words - chump change. So why not buy it?

It's concievable WB has a purchasing division which invests in rights to various properties n a daily basis. Do you think studios just buy things when they need it and determine "ok - we're making this movie." HG was hawking it and found somebody at Warners to buy it. Whether it was a good sales pitch or whether they found an RT fan who happened to have a budget and a line to higher ups is irrelevent - the point is - they made some money and WB got these rights to play around with. They'll play around with it, conclude it doesn't work out, and that's it.

But...whatever... if they make the LAM it will just go more and more to show that HG failed in "bringing anime to the USA" since a sign of success would be people crowding the theatres to see ...oh...I dunno...anime movies! :)

Pete

I think you fail to understand that Hollywood isn't about originality at all

they won't sit and come up with their own poo because they simply can't.

They'd rather make movies based off others works because it doesn't require

them to actually think. Hollywood is all about money, no matter how stupid a movie may be, they will hype the poo out of it to make it look like it's something more than it is.

I also think that since you're not a US citizen you aren't familiar with the way things work here. Hollywood doesn't make anything original it's all REMAKES, SEQUELS, & ADAPTIONS. Hollywood hasn't done anything original in a long ass time

and usually when you think an idea of theirs is original, you learn that it's just an adaption of a story from another country. They are sneaky A-holes arent they?

except my pic from the series shows you're wrong. The only footage of him dying is nothing like that.

I also think that since you're not a US citizen

Um...but I am a US citizen and I'm eminently familiar with "the way things work" in the US.

We have a different view of Holywood which I can't really discuss because a) it's off topic and b) I would have to discuss politics which is against the rules.

But in short: I think Holywood and the American film industry are overall a positive phenomena and I think the way that the film industry and culture in general are organized in the USA is the best. Better than anywhere else. Naturally this does not mean that I think it's flawless. It is not perfect, far from it.

I can't defend this opinion because that would be talking about politics.

So I'll just have to leave it at stating my opinion.

Pete

No - it's not.

I think you fail to understand that Hollywood isn't about originality at all

.....*snip for length*

Unfortunately, the lady has a point and what was stated is true.

If WB tried anything as ridiculous it would be destroyed the minute that the story got out.

What? That RT is based of several Japanese series loosely tied together? We've already had a number of productions that were based off a Japanese production already. What's to stop them from having another? Hell, they already remade a movie about a dog.

As I said, with good marketing, even crap will sell.

The reference there was this:

I'm not really sure how marketing by Warner could make people believe Robotech was a ground breaking show and that RT was much greater than it was.

I actually don't think that WB would spend even a penny trying to convince people about Robotech's repuation one way or another.

What they would focus on is marketing their eventual movie on its' own merits - not on spending money to prove that an old cartoon that sucked was actually good.

That's all I was refering to there.

Pete

As I said, with good marketing, even crap will sell.

Case in point: Macross 7 :lol:

In all seriousness, I have to agree with HappyPenguins on this point.

The American film industry (Hollywood) has, over the last few decades, lost the luster and grandeur it had in it's golden age. It's reached a low point, with every producer scouring the countryside looking for the next hot Comic Book title or some lost, obscure '80s cartoon. It also seems to have a difficult time learning the lessons from times past: Anime doesn't do well in a LAM setting.

Admittedly, there are a few small gems that come out of Hollywood, but for the most part... Meh... There's no originality at all.

I know the truth about the Sun.

The Sun revolves around the Earth.

I've had a running battle over at Nasa.com on the subject, and I'll be just as glad to have one here, which will not be stopped until Galileo himself settles the argument.

Case in point: Macross 7 :lol:

I got my eye on you BOY! :ph34r::angry::p

I'm not really sure how marketing by Warner could make people believe Robotech was a ground breaking show and that RT was much greater than it was.

I actually don't think that WB would spend even a penny trying to convince people about Robotech's repuation one way or another.

Well, if WB wants some money back for spending money producing the proposed flick, they're gonna need to spend some money in marketing.

What they would focus on is marketing their eventual movie on its' own merits - not on spending money to prove that an old cartoon that sucked was actually good.

That's all I was refering to there.

Well, they'll probably "reference the source material" if they are making the film. What they would focus on would be the LAM but it's going to be compared to the elements from the show so they'll end up talking about the cartoon in some form or another.

Just going by all the obnoxious honking Kevin McKeever has done over the years, it seems like the biggest stumbling block is that there's just no market for a new Robotech series and the Harmony Gold execs know it. McKeever's standard response when people ask why Harmony Gold hasn't bothered with a new Robotech series in the 20+ years since Sentinels went under is that they need to get an episode commitment from a network first, and you could easily infer from that response that Harmony Gold has tried, and there were no takers.

That explains a lot yet its not that surprising. I think its less about the lack of Robotech's brand recoginiation and much more that animation isn't taken seriously in the US that no network will commit to a new Robotech series. I for one have to give HG credit for staying true to their belief to keep Robotech a serielized story that is more mature then the typical American cartoon yet family friendly at the same time. Unfortantly their is no room for a serious animated Space Opera to American Network executives. To them its either got to be a silly cartoon for kids with no serialized storyline or a gritty Live action series packed with as much sex appeal as allowed for 10 pm on the SyFy channel for older audiences.

If your that confident would you be willing to make a bet? If so I'll ask a friend to rip the video from his Robotech the Origianal Collection DVD set that was encoded with the first airing broadcast footage of Robotech and post it youtube or something for us all to see how Corg dies in the first airing of New Generation.

Well, they'll probably "reference the source material" if they are making the film. What they would focus on would be the LAM but it's going to be compared to the elements from the show so they'll end up talking about the cartoon in some form or another.

Is that even possible to do without mentioning the uncomfortable parts about the history of Robotech? For instance, the source material really owned by other people who are still making products based on them to this day without the American owner's consent?

You give me no choice but to pull out the big guns:

Wanzerfan claims that Brawl was an Autobot (really he was a Decepticon):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry739635

Wanzerfan claims that Carl Macek runs ADV (he doesn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry746773

Wanzerfan wants to see Robotech back in Carl Macek's hands:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry747940

Wanzerfan claims that Exo-Squad Season 3 was going to tie in Robotech (it wasn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry747952

Wanzerfan claims that Kawamori's head is up his ass and REAL Macross fans prefer Macross II:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry748259

Wanzerfan breaks into a discussion of advanced Valkyrie aerodynamics to explain that a fighter turns into a gerwalk, which then turns into a "battloid":

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry748617

Wanzerfan claims that the "made for TV" four hour version of Dune was shown in theaters (it wasn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry748619

Wanzerfan claims that Robotech was shown first in Houston in 1984 (it wasn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry752988

Wanzerfan claims that the extra footage in Robotech's "test run in 1984" is from megazone 23, depsite the fact that Megazone came out in 1985:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry753406

Wanzerfan claims that communist countries are into L. Ron Hubbard:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry755706

Wanzerfan starts a "Macross Spam Thread":

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry755926

Wanzerfan claims ADV started about ten years ago (it didn't) again with Macek at the helm (he wasn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry766810

Wanzerfan says the the race in Orguss is called the "Emarn," not the "Emann" (it can be either):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry768556

Wanzerfan claims that he thought Carl Macek ran ADV because he lives in Houston, and calls that "a logical assumption" (it isn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry772216

Wanzerfan claims again that Kawamori has his head up his ass, after viewing Macross Plus:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry774358

Wanzerfan claims that Whiplash's real name is Backlash (it isn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry774355

Wanzerfan claims that Shinichiro Watanabe had little control during the filming of Macross Plus, and also that Kawamori is somehow involved creatively with Battletech (both false):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry774414

Wanzerfan claims that Bison's name was changed to Vega in the west (it wasn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry774561

Wanzerfan claims that the "Howard the Duck" movie was good:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry775572

Wanzerfan gets heat rules for Battletech wrong:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry776445

Wanzerfan gets "death from above" wrong:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry777825

Wanzerfan again claims that Exo-Squad was to have a Robotech crossover (it wasn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry778089

Wanzerfan claims that Nolan Bushnell's non-compete clause with WB had no time limit (it did):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry778614

Wanzerfan claims that the lead singer of Boston died from a heart attack (he didn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry778619

Wanzerfan claims that HG "bought (or stole)" the name Robotech from Revell when Revell went out of business (completely false):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry780252

Wanzerfan claims he can't stomach "that douchebag" Basara, even though he has never seen ANY Macross 7 AT ALL:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry780449

Wanzerfan claims Big West is a lawsuit-pledging "Amercian Pit Bull Terrier"...:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry786123

...and that they sued FASA (they're not, and they didn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry786186

Wanzerfan claims that Code Geass has a third season (it doesn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry787764

Wanzerfan sez: "Don't talk about Star Wars if you don't know what you're talking about. (1) James Earl Jones is the voice of Darth Vader, David Prose did do the dialogue for 3CPO. (2) The decoy rebel base was located on Dantoine."

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry787782

Wanzer claims that the Japanese government has forbidden any new likeness of Hikaru Ichijo to appear anywhere, because the voice actor died:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry789771

Wanzerfan claims that Johnny Cash says "motherf*cker" in "A Boy Named Sue" (he doesn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry789777

Wanzerfan claims that E.E. "Doc" Smith wrote the Lensman movie screenplay (despite the fact that the screenplay was in Japanese, and was written twenty years after Smith's death):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry791849

Wanzerfan claims he thought Spike just fell unconscious at the end of Cowboy Bebop:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry792249

Wanzerfan gets Lesman confused with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry800137

Wanzerclaims that because Babylon 5 has unpressurized cockpits, then Macross must also have unpressurized cockpits:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry800503

Wanzerfan claims that one of Hercules's tasks was to defeat the Kraken (it wasn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry805776

Wanzerfan claims that Buddy Holly's work "is a perfect example of bebop" (it isn't)...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry806734

...because Buddy Holly sang "Be-Bop-a-Lula" (he didn't):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry806761

So...WHY ON EARTH SHOULD WE BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU SAY??? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited by Gubaba

Is that even possible to do without mentioning the uncomfortable parts about the history of Robotech? For instance, the source material really owned by other people who are still making products based on them to this day without the American owner's consent?

They have the consent of Tatsunoko. They'll pull ideas but it won't be Xerox copy of the cartoon. "Drawing inspiration" would be the lingo. <_<

As they market their own movie, referencing the 80s series will be in short blurbs. But the fact that they reference it will make people go back and look at the series. When you hear "re-imaging", "revitalize the franchise", or "reference the source material" , the tendency would be to look back at where it came from. The old series would get some attention through people looking for it trying to figure out where a LAM would be headed. The 80s cartoon would indirectly get some attention as it gets mentioned through producing the LAM.